Guyz,

I need some ideas for how to make a good pedal setup for nu-metal sound to play live..
what pedals do u think should be the musts of the setup, what are optional?!
Boss ML-2, Digitech DF 7 seems to be the good options for distortion..
a Noise Supressor pedal would be cool probably..
Do I really need Delay, Chorus and all other modulations or any acoustic pedal..
How about an equalizer?!
I'm not a a pro, so help me with your knowledge please, thank you..

(I have a 65W FENDER FM210R stereo guitar amp and my guitar just sucks right now)
What kind of nu-metal are we talking about?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
In my opinion the ML-2 isn't great, nor is that Distortion Factory one - they're all just models of different pedals and models are never that good!

Try the EH Metal Muff, it's the only dist. pedal I have and with an EQ along with it you can get pretty much any tone you like for it, and definitely a Nu-Metal tone
I have the same amp as you, and I actually have a Metal Muff too. It's tone is closer to stuff of say Metallica and the like, than to say System of a Down I think, but it all depends on what sound you want. If you're playing stuff like KoRn, they seem to have effects in lots of songs, so do some research into what sounds it is you like, and what effect to use to get there. Daron Malakian apparently uses a Metal Zone, according to wiki, but he also has big amps and such.
Quote by winniethepunk
Guyz,

I need some ideas for how to make a good pedal setup for nu-metal sound to play live..
what pedals do u think should be the musts of the setup, what are optional?!
Boss ML-2, Digitech DF 7 seems to be the good options for distortion..
a Noise Supressor pedal would be cool probably..
Do I really need Delay, Chorus and all other modulations or any acoustic pedal..
How about an equalizer?!
I'm not a a pro, so help me with your knowledge please, thank you..

(I have a 65W FENDER FM210R stereo guitar amp and my guitar just sucks right now)

im gonna be one of those people to say "get a new amp". a frontman will not do metal well even with a good set of pedals.

that said, the way to get nu-metal sounds can vary greatly. it depends which guitarist youre aiming for. brad delson doesnt use much, whereas james shaffer has pedals galore. if the sound is all youre concerned with, delson uses a tc electronics g-major, shaffer has about 2 or 3 of each overdrive and distortion pedals. both also have things like lo-fi pedals, flangers, wah, compressors, choruses.

basically, none of these are essential. the only thing that is essential is a metal voiced amp with pretty thick bass
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Jan 24, 2010,
Quote by Bob_Smith
im gonna be one of those people to say "get a new amp". a frontman will not do metal well even with a good set of pedals.

that said, the way to get nu-metal sounds can vary greatly. it depends which guitarist youre aiming for. brad delson doesnt use much, whereas james shaffer has pedals galore. if the sound is all youre concerned with, delson uses a tc electronics g-major, shaffer has about 2 or 3 of each overdrive and distortion pedals. both also have things like lo-fi pedals, flangers, wah, compressors, choruses.

basically, none of these are essential. the only thing that is essential is a metal voiced amp with pretty thick bass

Trudat. If you were thinking of getting a few pedals you can definitely afford a new, metal-voiced amp.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
^ The FM series is actually seperate to the FrontMan series. I think Fender called it FM just so people think they're related. The amp's actual distortion is muddy at high gain, but could work for some new metal... all depends on tastes.
Quote by Rokeman
^ The FM series is actually seperate to the FrontMan series. I think Fender called it FM just so people think they're related. The amp's actual distortion is muddy at high gain, but could work for some new metal... all depends on tastes.

ok then, doesnt matter either way. my school has an FM212, and honestly, metal is a no-no. if you like low gain metal, then sure, itll work
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
how should I use FM210 then for the coolest metal sound possible?!

I shouldnt use it's distortion channel, rather use a pedal thru amp's clean channel right?!
you can... or you can use an overdrive pedal to boost it, but honestly that is the wrong amp if you want to be playing metal.
for the "coolest" metal sound... well, the term "coolest" is relative: it wouldnt sound particularly great regardless of which option you picked.

using the clean channel and then a distortion pedal on that is probably the better of the two options.
whats your budget, because youre going to need one pretty good distortion pedal to get what i think youre after. youll probably need an eq pedal as well.

the df-7 seems alright, but id need someone else to vouch for it, the ml-2 though probably needs a mod.
the ehx metal muff someone suggested isnt bad either
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Jan 25, 2010,