SaulnierE
630 IQ
Hey, I have a chance to join a pop rock (paramore style) band as a backing guitarist, record, and play out. i'm only sixteen, so this experience would be great. however, this is pretty far from what i usually play (thin lizzy, gn'r), but i do play some fall out boy from time to time, so i'm not a total stranger to the genre. however, this would be a pretty large commitment, do you think the style change would be worth the experience? any opinions on this, or anything i'm not thinking of? thanks guys.
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Do it. You never know what'll happen. It could be the next big thing. Think of how pissed you'd be if it was the next big thing and you missed out
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
saint22
is a Registered User
259 IQ
I'd say do it. Experience is invaluable. Even if its not your usual style, just having the experience of everything that goes with being in a band will be good. And in my experience, any sort of band is fun to be in (assuming the other people aren't dicks) even if its not quite your style.
ibanez87
Long live rock!
1,317 IQ
The experience will be great. Eben if you don't like or stay with them, you can use what you learn to hit your own band full on. DO IT!
6stringbassist
518 IQ
My drummer and I play all sorts of alternative together, even though our band is metal. I play a ton of other genres and would be in a band that was serious about it, all for the experience.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
theGlitch
GASer Extraordinaire
134 IQ
it's good to switch up the genres you play in too. it's a great learning tool and it's crazy fun to gig.
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Mr.Cuddles
1,324 IQ
do it.

I just got hired a few weeks ago to play indian bangrah music on someones cd.
I don't rerget it, i'm learning alot.( and im going to get payed )
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
lespaul1216
Usered Register
504 IQ
only if you really think you wouldn't have a problem playing that genre sounds like you're not that into it
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
MetalFan09
Tom
44 IQ
if they are playing gigs and getting to record then dont waste the opportunity!
ExurKun
229 IQ
absolutely join it, if you want music to be a permanent career you gotta learn sometime to play all genres even outside of your comfort zone, plus pop punk won't be very hard to pick up
SaulnierE
630 IQ
I already play fall out boy, brand new, and all time low some of the time. its just this is a little extreme, i think i'll probably do it anyways. but i was told it would be like paramore, avril/britney style stuff but in a rock context. i would be part of a backing band essentially.
asator
whatever
525 IQ
Quote by SaulnierE
I already play fall out boy, brand new, and all time low some of the time. its just this is a little extreme, i think i'll probably do it anyways. but i was told it would be like paramore, avril/britney style stuff but in a rock context. i would be part of a backing band essentially.

I think you'll find that lots of backing musicians for pop bands are generally into music of their own. Think about how many guitarists, bassists or drummers you see playing with Miley Cyrus or whoever that have shoulder length hair and sleeve tattoos...Most of them probably take that massive paycheck and fund their own bands on the side.

I say do it.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
iwannabesedated
Out There
923 IQ
Paramore style? You should stay as far away as possible lest you should pollute the already weakened music scene.

No but seriously give it a shot, it probably won't last anyway and it's good experience.
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution
1,627 IQ
Quote by asator
I think you'll find that lots of backing musicians for pop bands are generally into music of their own. Think about how many guitarists, bassists or drummers you see playing with Miley Cyrus or whoever that have shoulder length hair and sleeve tattoos...Most of them probably take that massive paycheck and fund their own bands on the side.

I say do it.

+1

the chance to play in front of larger audiences and making a good bit of money on the side, go for it!
Vermiis
34 IQ
I'm confused. Paramore has really interesting guitar work. You guys need to listen to the vocals less. I would kill to be in that style of band.
Btw I'm a metalhead (deathspell omega, portal, ulver, none so vile era cryptopsy, and vomit remnants)

EDIT: The above post was influenced by intoxicating substances. The post will remain here for thread continuity.
Are signatures really necessary?
I guess I'll put my bass rig here.
Ibanez BTB575
Fender M80 1x15 combo
Acoustic 4x10 cab
Shitty but loud and spanky
Last edited by Vermiis at Jan 31, 2010,
Zach Dunn
1,324 IQ
Take any oppertunity as it comes, i joined my current band in december after they asked me to, since then we've had many gigs and also in talks to playing this years Download Festival on a smaller stage which shocked us all aswell maybe a support slot for Enter Shikari.

As lockwolf says, you'll never know if you become the next biggest thing
KirbyzShadow
33 IQ
if u can have fun playing in that band you should join in, you never know what will happen :]