Hey guys, just a quick question regarding the tuning stability of Fender strats.

Since I've just sold my PRS SE I have a some more money to go towards my next guitar purchase. I am quite interested in Fender strats but have a read a lot about the stability of the tuning.

I wouldn't use the whammy bar, which may make a purchase kind of redundant but I just love the tone of a strat. So I was wondering is there anyway to make the trem bridge as solid tuning-wise, as a hardtail bridge?

Sorry if this seems like a ridiculous question but I really don't have a lot of experience with strats so any help is appreciated.

Cheers Guys!

P.s This is one of the strats that caught my eye http://www.fender.co.uk/products/search.php?partno=0115700300
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
A lot of 'classic' Strat players (I don't remember any names, but I faintly remember Clapton's name among them) put some kind of wedge inside the tremolo cavity to keep the bridge block from moving. I'm sure if you looked around google for a few descriptions, you'd come up with something.

I've personally had a Strat since I started playing, and I usually just take the tremolo arm off and the tuning stays just fine since I don't really touch the bridge that much. Of course, if you're still having trouble with the stability, you may just want to get quality tuners.
If you set everything up correctly it should stay in tune just fine. There is no need for new tuners. What he is referring to is blocking your trem with a piece of wood which increases tuning stability and sustain.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
If it's setup right, it won't have tuning stability issues. Both my MIM and EJ strat have only fallen slightly out of tune after doing really excessive bends. Though, the same thing has happened on my friend's Ibanez and Les Paul.

Also, don't be afraid to look into the used market. You can find cheaper strats and save some money. Likewise, you can find some of the more expensive ones for a cheaper price too.
You could just convert it into a hardtail. My buddy was telling me about it, and actually did it to one of my MIM strats. Even if you dont, they stay in tune suprizingly great. Mine has only gone out of tune with extremely extensive bending and I'm talking extensive!
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
i use the whammy bar really heavily and it dos't go out of tune at all. If it's set-up right you shouldn't really have any issues. But i guess if you were gonna be worried about it just unscrew the whammy bar.
GEAR
Schecter demon
Line 6 spider 3,75 watts
Line 6 UX2
Alvarez ad60sc
Fender Squire. Strat Acoustic
Fender standard Stratocaster
SOFTWARE
Logic Studio
Pod Farm 2
There are locking tuners for sale, you can purchase them on musiciansfriend and zzzounds online, but Grover tuners hold their stability more than any other tuning set I've tried.

Course, you could always rub a bit of grease in it, the thick axle kind. Works for me.

And well, The strat tone does have it's cons, but a few tricks of the trade can overcome any obstacle.
GTFO my sig
Quote by pilgrimevan
EVERYONE with a strat trem should see this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Oyc6slYRc&feature=channel

I've seen this before and it's brilliant. I haven't done it as thoroughly as he shows but I have little reason to. Just doing the bulk of what he's shows has kept my Strat in tune so well, I almost feel guilty about it...

One question though, if I didn't want my trem to act as a Floyd (dive only, no upward bends) would simply tightening the springs do it? I'm wondering if it would change the height of the action or something else. I ask this because I do like to do drop D tuning on occassion and rarely need to make upward bends. I typically only dive when I use the trem.

Advice?

Or is there different bridge that only goes one way? I guess I only know of the Floyd style (both ways) or hard tail (no way)...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
I've seen this before and it's brilliant. I haven't done it as thoroughly as he shows but I have little reason to. Just doing the bulk of what he's shows has kept my Strat in tune so well, I almost feel guilty about it...

One question though, if I didn't want my trem to act as a Floyd (dive only, no upward bends) would simply tightening the springs do it? I'm wondering if it would change the height of the action or something else. I ask this because I do like to do drop D tuning on occassion and rarely need to make upward bends. I typically only dive when I use the trem.

Advice?

Or is there different bridge that only goes one way? I guess I only know of the Floyd style (both ways) or hard tail (no way)...

you can make a strat go floating by adjusting the springs correctly. I wouldn't though. And don't ever compare a strat style trem with a FR.

Strats go out of tune when you van halen with them, if they don't have a floyd, which most of them don't. Even way expensive ones.

For tasteful strat-tremolo use, a proper fender stratocaster will do fine.

If you want it to be solid, just pop 5 springs in the back and it won't budge. Alternatively, chuck in a small wooden wedge so that the tremolo is blocked.
I usually have my tremolo bar removed, and i don't have any tuning instability.
But to be sure, you can block the bridge.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by richardlpalmer

Advice?

Which Strat are you thinking about buying? The 2 point trems go both ways while the 6 screw trems can be set to either dive only or have a bit of upwards range.
Quote by ziggymidget
you can make a strat go floating by adjusting the springs correctly. I wouldn't though. And don't ever compare a strat style trem with a FR.

Strats go out of tune when you van halen with them, if they don't have a floyd, which most of them don't. Even way expensive ones.

For tasteful strat-tremolo use, a proper fender stratocaster will do fine.

If you want it to be solid, just pop 5 springs in the back and it won't budge. Alternatively, chuck in a small wooden wedge so that the tremolo is blocked.
I'm talking about the opposite. The standard strat trem is floating. I'd prefer it NOT float. But I still want to use it -- I'm not trying to get rid of the funtionality, just half of the functionality -- the bending UP part.

Quote by azn_guitarist25
Which Strat are you thinking about buying? The 2 point trems go both ways while the 6 screw trems can be set to either dive only or have a bit of upwards range.
I already have a MIM HSS strat. It has the 6 screw trem like you describe.

So how do I set it to just dive? Because that's exactly what I want. That way I can do an alternate tuning on the fly and not have everything go out of tune.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Guitar Center sells a pack of heavy tremolo springs for $6.99. Use four or five of them and your bridge will not move, at all, ever.
Quote by jpnyc
Guitar Center sells a pack of heavy tremolo springs for $6.99. Use four or five of them and your bridge will not move, at all, ever.

Again, that's not what I'm trying to accomplish.

*sigh*
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Neither of my strats have any tuning issues. One is a squier w stock tuners and a fixed bridge and stays in tune fine. My 83 MIA never has any problems.
Quote by richardlpalmer
I already have a MIM HSS strat. It has the 6 screw trem like you describe.

So how do I set it to just dive? Because that's exactly what I want. That way I can do an alternate tuning on the fly and not have everything go out of tune.

Just flip your guitar over and on the back you will see 2 screws that hold a piece of metal that's connected to some springs. Basically you can either add in more springs if you have room for it, or you could tighten those 2 screws alternatively you can do both but that will sort of make it hard to whammy with the whammy bar.

So really just tighten it when you are in your highest tuning and the bridge plate is sitting on the body and you'll be fine essentially.
^that

what azn guitarist said

TS - I have a MIM strat with the bridge set to float a bit. Not as much dive as a Floyd type of course. It stays in almost perfect tune. Scary actually. Better thanmy Schecter hard tail

Quote by richardlpalmer
Again, that's not what I'm trying to accomplish.

*sigh*

Keep in mind, this is sgboy666's thread.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Just flip your guitar over and on the back you will see 2 screws that hold a piece of metal that's connected to some springs. Basically you can either add in more springs if you have room for it, or you could tighten those 2 screws alternatively you can do both but that will sort of make it hard to whammy with the whammy bar.

So really just tighten it when you are in your highest tuning and the bridge plate is sitting on the body and you'll be fine essentially.

Okay, cool. On my next string change I'll do that.
    • Tighten screws holding trem springs
    • Do NOT do anything with 6 screws holding trem in place on front of guitar
    • Tune
    • Play
    What is this called? I mean there's a floating trem and there's a hard tail (just bridge, no trem). What is the term that describes this type of trem?
    Richard

PRSi:
    *ME Quatro
    *CE-22
    *SE Soapbar II
    H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
    Quote by richardlpalmer
    Okay, cool. On my next string change I'll do that.
      • Tighten screws holding trem springs
      • Do NOT do anything with 6 screws holding trem in place on front of guitar
      • Tune
      • Play
      What is this called? I mean there's a floating trem and there's a hard tail (just bridge, no trem). What is the term that describes this type of trem?

Vintage style trem usually sums it up pretty much.
      Quote by azn_guitarist25
      Vintage style trem usually sums it up pretty much.

Cool, thanks for that. I've known what it is/does and have seen it on many many guitars, just didn't know the word(s) for it.
      Richard

PRSi:
      *ME Quatro
      *CE-22
      *SE Soapbar II
      H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
      To add onto what Phil said....

Here is a short sentence or two that I copy/pasted from the link in the Original Post from TS.

Features include an alder body with gloss urethane finish, 9.5”-radius maple neck, jumbo frets, Texas Special™ middle and neck pickups, an Atomic humbucking™ bridge pickup, and vintage-style synchronized tremolo. The American Special Series—guitars for the times.
      Just thought I'd let you know I did this and it's working like a charm. The vintage-style trem is what I was after and it's perfect now. I can do my drop D if/when I want and then quickly retune for other songs.

It's a bit hard but I think on my next string change I'll unscrew the springs a bit and see how that goes.
      Richard

PRSi:
      *ME Quatro
      *CE-22
      *SE Soapbar II
      H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
      My strat doesn't have a the trem blocked, and it stays in tune extremely well. I don't really use the whammy bar though.