11 11%
The cranked Bassman
8 8%
The 5150/6150 (aka EVH sound)
12 12%
Voters: 101.
Page 2 of 3
Quote by stratman_13
Wampler Plextortion and Pinnacle need to be in the Marshall column. The Pinnacle was originally designed to be EVH in a box, so it does the cranked-double-jumped-68-Plexi really well.

The Lovepedal Les Luis does a pretty good tweed Fender. The Englishman is a pretty good cranked-AC30 pedal.

There was one more I wanted to add but I forgot it. OH! For the ultra boutique, Effectrode's Tube Drive is an all tube pedal that does a really, really good crunch. You could toss that under Marshall, but it's a pretty unique sound. It has a somewhat British-y bark, though, so yeah.

Great thread idea, btw.

K thnx, I was thinking about the Effectrode Tube Drive, but I didn't think any one would buy it cause its so damn expensive! Its a glorified tube screamer (well with real tubes tho) if you ask me!

But it's a good sounding pedal so
( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
Well, the nice thing about the Tube Drive is that you can change the drive characteristics by using AX, AU, and AV7's in any of the spots labeled 12AX7. Pretty neat, if you ask me.

Another good one is the Maxon TBO-9. Pretty good Marshall sound crunch
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Well, the nice thing about the Tube Drive is that you can change the drive characteristics by using AX, AU, and AV7's in any of the spots labeled 12AX7. Pretty neat, if you ask me.

Another good one is the Maxon TBO-9. Pretty good Marshall sound crunch

Ya i agree that thats neat. IMO the tb09 falls under the tube screamer category, but I'll put it in for you though.
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
Eh. To each his own.

Wait. Are you compiling a thread for the make better of the GG&A forums? (Borat, anyone?) Or are you looking for one for yourself?

Or both?
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
Eh. To each his own.

Wait. Are you compiling a thread for the make better of the GG&A forums? (Borat, anyone?) Or are you looking for one for yourself?

Or both?

No, I'm just trying to help because I know how much of a pain it was for me to find the pedal I want. I'm going with the Wampler Triple Wreckstortion after I get my Egnater Renegade (Thats what I'm Prob gonna buy)

I hated GAS, so I'm trying to help others searching for their tone
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
Yeah. GAS sucks. Brett (Bostonrocks) showed me the new Splawn combo. I've never had GAS this bad....

The Wreck is a great pedal. It sounds ****ing nasty.
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
Eh. To each his own.

Or both?

Oh ya... BORAT FTW!!!!!!!!!

------------ Its a lolstack!
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
Quote by stratman_13
Yeah. GAS sucks. Brett (Bostonrocks) showed me the new Splawn combo. I've never had GAS this bad....

The Wreck is a great pedal. It sounds ****ing nasty.

Agreed, I dont have the money yet, so I'm gassing like crazy for the Renegade, Wreck which I will have enough money for after graduation! And eventually... A nice custom made Carvin, idk what model I want, but it would have coil split, FR trem w/ locking nut and a nice Ferrari Red paint job!
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
Has anyone tried, or have Gearmanndude's luther drive?
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
The Radial Tonebone Hot British is very Marshall-y/British (duh) sounding, and it's sounds awesome.
Quote by A_Random_Person
The Radial Tonebone Hot British is very Marshall-y/British (duh) sounding, and it's sounds awesome.

I agree. I was gonna add it but I had to go. I'll add it now
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
How about Dr Boogie? it really does have that dual rect sound to my ears..

i also like it when pushing my 5w jcm800 style amp... the Dr boogie brings it from led zep crunch to a metal territory distortion..

but it's DIY though.. a well-worth effort of a DIY...
Quote by had_hc
How about Dr Boogie? it really does have that dual rect sound to my ears..

i also like it when pushing my 5w jcm800 style amp... the Dr boogie brings it from led zep crunch to a metal territory distortion..

but it's DIY though.. a well-worth effort of a DIY...

Ya I have heard about it, I wasn't thinking about DIY pedals at the moment. Ill add that and a couple of other stuff.

Thanks for jogging my memory, I knew I was missing something!
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
Do you guys think I should include the prices on some or all of the pedals? Or do you think it's just pointless extra work... I think it would be better for the community because all the info would be in the same place, just let me know if you guys would like that and I'll put them up
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
I don't know where these would go, but these Blackstar pedals:

Blackstar DIST-X
Blackstar DUAL DIST

...are fantastic!
The mods should sticky this...
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
I don't know where these would go, but these Blackstar pedals:

Blackstar DIST-X
Blackstar DUAL DIST

...are fantastic!

I'll check out some vids of them tmmr and categorize them, btw I'm not gonna be able to rate everything on the list because I haven't heard them enough but I'll rate as many as I can. I'd look them up now but I'm using my I pod touch right now...lol touch screen ftw
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
Quote by GODhimself37
The mods should sticky this...

I hope they sticky this, I'm friends with one mod, not great friends,but I'll let him know bout my thread. I'd hate for all this typing I did go to waste lol!
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
I thought I should mention that the Jetter Gain Stage Blue could be a good Plexi sound. It's geared toward EJ's Alien Love Child sound, so it has some fuzz to it. But if you're looking to kill two birds with one stone, it could serve as a good Hendrix sound if you're using a clean amp also.

BK Butler Tube Driver might also be good. I've played it at my local music store through a Fender Blues Junior, and got a close JTM45 sound, with a little more grit.

For Dumble, I don't know if it was mentioned because I didn't see it in any of the sections. The Zendrive is real real nice.
Personally I didn't like the Triple Wreck too much. I kind of want to say it's my amps fault but that was the first pedal I've had a problem with. I think you could do better for the price.

I prefer the Blackstar HT DIST-X over it.
I have a huge fear if rays.
no shit mesa actually build a pedal?

does anyone know if it actually sounds anything like a dual/triple recto when used with a good tube amp?
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Hey guys, I I'm gonna benpretty busy the next couple days till the weekend so I won't be able to update the thread as much, BUT Please continue to make suggestions for the list, give me ratings for pedals, and categorize the ones in the good pedals section. Keep posting guys! And I'll update the thread always ASAP
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
Thought I should add to this list.

It's a DIY, but there is a Diezel VH4 pedal you can make.

So for those searching for those tones, sounds pretty good from the samples. I'll give a link to some of the schematics for it, or just google it.
I don't agree with more than half of your "Mesa-esque" pedals. I've had two of the original Ibanez Tube King pedals in the past, US and Japanese versions. They definitely do not and are not meant to sound anything remotely similar to a Mesa of any kind.

Nice thread idea though.
How dare you call the 5150 the EVH sound. output tube saturation is critical for the brown sound, no preamp is going to sound like it and imo the 5150 amps are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay far away from the vintage brown sound, a plexi at 10+eddie's fingers = the brown sound, not some high gain monster amp

as for the Lovepedal Purple Plexi, it's very plexi type, not actually nailing it, but it's pretty nice.
about the Englishman, i found it to sound nothing like the AC15 i cranked a couple days ago
The Boogie V twin is terrible at "mesa" sounds...
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by Guitarlolz
Do you guys think I should include the prices on some or all of the pedals? Or do you think it's just pointless extra work... I think it would be better for the community because all the info would be in the same place, just let me know if you guys would like that and I'll put them up

I would add the price on there, and if possible, if their still made new, or if you can only find them used.
Quote by mergapoot
i disagree with so many of your groupings but good thread idea.

*stickied

it's ok to disagree, I made this thread to help others, using help from others toake the list. Just tell me what you disagree with and I'll see if it should be changed, because I in no way no everything about these pedals so please feel free to correct me.Also as I said before, I'm quite busy and will be until the weekend so if I don't update the list quickly doesn't mean I didn't see your suggestion. I will try to add and update it asap everytime so sorry if I you don't see your idea up soon
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
Quote by stykerwolf
How dare you call the 5150 the EVH sound. output tube saturation is critical for the brown sound, no preamp is going to sound like it and imo the 5150 amps are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay far away from the vintage brown sound, a plexi at 10+eddie's fingers = the brown sound, not some high gain monster amp

as for the Lovepedal Purple Plexi, it's very plexi type, not actually nailing it, but it's pretty nice.
about the Englishman, i found it to sound nothing like the AC15 i cranked a couple days ago

If u read my first post it says that calling the 5150 evh sound was a mistake, I'll update the list with your opinion asap
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
Quote by Guitarmiester
I don't agree with more than half of your "Mesa-esque" pedals. I've had two of the original Ibanez Tube King pedals in the past, US and Japanese versions. They definitely do not and are not meant to sound anything remotely similar to a Mesa of any kind.

Nice thread idea though.

Just tell me what you don't agree with. It's a collaborate effort to make this list and you guys giving your opinions is what we need to make the list as accurate as possible.

Just lemme know what I should change
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I would add the price on there, and if possible, if their still made new, or if you can only find them used.

This will take me a while but I'll do it. Don't be surprised if you don't see that many up in the next few days tho, but I'll get as many prices up as I can
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
Quote by stykerwolf

I fixed the rating on the Englishman pedal for you
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
My Wampler Pinnacle 2 NAILS the brown sound and most other sounds associated with Plexis.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
My Wampler Pinnacle 2 NAILS the brown sound and most other sounds associated with Plexis.

I agree! I like the super plextortion as well, heck anything wampler I love!
( )( )

Quote by SLonergan
Can I get a woot woot?

...No? Whatever.
oh yeah! Dr Boogie rated 10 out of 10! i'll say it again.. it's a really well worth the build! Never played a real mesa before but i can say that it's distortion is really 'tube amp' like.