Page 2 of 31
Ryerson's brutal. Hospitality and Tourism Management isn't easy as a lot of people seem to think in the Business program. >.> 100 page market study, anyone? That's what I'm up to this semester.

The FL2 was $950CAD used with its own case. Smoothest sounding guitar I've ever played. Chords just blend so gracefully.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Ryerson's brutal. Hospitality and Tourism Management isn't easy as a lot of people seem to think in the Business program. >.> 100 page market study, anyone? That's what I'm up to this semester.

The FL2 was $950CAD used with its own case. Smoothest sounding guitar I've ever played. Chords just blend so gracefully.

Every program is hard if you go down the challenging path, I'm in electrical eng and honestly mining eng is easy in a relative sense. I'm actually in Ottawa right now [co-op term].

FL2 > 1000! I can't imagine how much the FL3's cost. I thought the 1 or 2's would be low-mid ranged. Any I plan on playing them this weekend as there is a dealer around somewhere. I love the 2 toned headstock!
Quote by roamingbard13
That board better be 80% boutique at that price!

It is all boutique except for a Boss RC-20XL looping station, but I have that run inside a Toadworks True-Bypass Looper so it is at least inside a boutique true bypass loop. And actually my phaser is an MXR Custom Shop Script Phase 90 w/ LED so that isn't really boutique. But I did have it modded so that it is true bypass as well. Hell I might as well just list it all...

Fulltone Clyde Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
Wampler Pinnacle 2 Limited Edition Reissue
Wampler AnalogEcho
Wampler Clean Buffer x2
Analogman Mini Chorus
Toadworks True-Bypass Looper (Boss RC-20XL in the loop)
MXR Custom Shop Script Phase 90 w/ LED and True Bypass
Sonic Research TurboTuner ST-200

Not in that order obviously. I am having Pumaman build me a board and am using two VooDoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus units to power everything. All the connections are done with two Lava Cables pedal board kits.

I'm pretty excited to get the board in and get all this crap hooked up and in place. It's been quite a process trying tons of pedals and waiting for some of them to be built, etc.
Last edited by jimtaka at Feb 11, 2010,
Jim!!!!! As a response, I've gotten a '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue, a Korg Pitchblack tuner, and a Digitech Hardwire delay pedal, with some various Planet Waves cables to supplement the need. I also fell in love with a Masterbilt today at GC. They were practically giving it away too...$350. My want and funds levels are very, very offset though

Long! Glad to have another acoustic junkie in here! Wait...who am I kidding? I'm not an acoustic junkie

Well, not as much as our Canadian moderator is at least
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Feb 11, 2010,
Sweet, Natrone! My first electric guitar was actually a '72 Thinline Tele RI.
Quote by Natrone
Jim!!!!! As a response, I've gotten a '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue, a Korg Pitchblack tuner, and a Digitech Hardwire delay pedal, with some various Planet Waves cables to supplement the need. I also fell in love with a Masterbilt today at GC. They were practically giving it away too...$350. My want and funds levels are very, very offset though

Long! Glad to have another acoustic junkie in here! Wait...who am I kidding? I'm not an acoustic junkie

It's a climate thing.
I'm trying to balance a newfound electric obsession with my everlasting acoustic obsession. My electric has been winning in the wallet and thoughts lately, but my acoustics still get the most playing time. I doubt that will ever change.
Quote by Natrone

The only electric guitar I have is an Epi LP Special II with a crooked neck.

I'm pretty much acoustic for life. I'm too sped to use an electric guitar. Even a stratocaster's 5 way switch annoys me.

Also, HOLY CRAP JIM. That's a lot of pedals you got there.
Equipment:

So tell me what you guys think about this...

I saw the following ad on craigslist today: http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/1595795492.html

Quote by craigslist ad
I am looking for a guitar to learn jazz/blues type music on. I had half my colon removed a few months back because of cancer. Now i need to do 6 months of chemo, it seems the cancer has moved to my lymphnodes. I can not work or drive so if you could bring it to me that would rock. I think with 6 months of feeling like crap a guitar and a how to book will help pass the time. I have about $300 saved up and hoping i can get something with that. So if you have any gear just laying around and happen to need some cash please think of me.
I am not looking for a hand out like I said i do have $300 to spend. But I will want a model # and make so i can look it up and know what i am getting.
Thanks for looking.
im not asking for a hand out i do have some cash.

I have a Marshall MG15DFX sitting in the closet, which I thought sounded like a good option for this guy. So I send him this message:

Quote by jimtaka
I have a Marshall MG15DFX guitar amplifier that I could part with. You can see it here:

http://www.beachaudio.com/Marshall/Mg15dfx-p-286840.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=mg15dfx&utm_content=atr

These are pretty much the definitive starter amps. It has a clean channel and an overdrive/distortion channel so it can do anything from country to blues to rock. It also has reverb, chorus, flange, and delay effects built in so you won't have to buy any pedals. It has 15 watts of power into one 8" speaker.

I wasn't really planning on selling it, but it sounds like you could use it a lot more than I could. Looks like these are about $200 new. Mine is in great cosmetic condition and flawless mechanical condition. I saw the 10 watt version without the effects listed for $125 today. Given your situation, how about $100 and I will bring it to you. I figure you will really need about $200 left out of your $300 to get a decent guitar. I don't really have any beginner level guitars, but I would be happy to make some recommendations if you are looking for an honest opinion.

Let me know what you think!

-Jim

Now obviously this isn't a boutique tube amplifier or anything, but everything I said is absolutely true imo and I really don't think the guy has a better option in his price range. Also keep in mind that I am offering to drive over an hour each way and over 130 miles total.

This is the response I get:

Quote by craigslist guy
Dude I already have cancer dont realy need a leach in my pocket thats a $25 pawn shop junk dont bother me any more. shame on you man

So what do you guys think? Am I wrong here? Do you guys think I was misleading or anything? Can this guy get a better amp with a $300 budget for guitar and amp?
Last edited by jimtaka at Feb 12, 2010,
I think you should make fun of him having cancer because he's a douche.
My God, it's full of stars!
I didn't get any responses to this in the last thread, can anyone help me out?

Quote by Dreadnought
This is the guitar I'm most interested in purchasing at the moment:

And a description:

"This instrument as can be seen from the pictures is very much a one of a kind. Back and sides are Katalox with Flame Maple and Purple Heart accents. The top is highly Bearclawed Sitka Spruce. The neck is California Walnut and bridge and fingerboard are Katalox; the fingerboard being inlaid with Spalted Maple. Bindings are done in Purpleheart and the headstock is slotted and pagoda style. Nut and saddle are bone and premium Gotoh butterbean tuners are used for machines. Scale length is 25.375, nut width is 1 13/16 and it is 2 ¼ at the 12th fret. This instrument has a Venetian cutaway and a sound port on the upper bout enhancing the listening for the player."

I can't play-test it yet as I'm still kicking ass in the sandy bootyhole of the world, but I'm very interested in it. It's also crazy expensive. Probably won't happen, but that's what dreams are for AMIRITE??

Anywho, looking for opinions/knowledge on the rare Katalox tonewood that has been used. Can't find much on it, curious as to how it sounds. It's most obviously BEAUTIFUL
Never even heard of Katalox. Who built that guitar? It's crazy!
A luthier unique to the Northwest/Seattle area who makes "Edwinson guitars". They are all very beautiful and most commonly cost about 3500, whereas the one I linked to is about 4725. I can't wait to play them; there is a shop in Seattle that sells very high end acoustic and customs from local luthiers (Edwinson guitars included) that has a few of his models in stock, including the Katalox one. I'm very excited to experience them!

A lot of builds incorporate my favorite body shape and size, so I have a feeling I may feel very at home with his works.
Man I would love to try that guitar. I've never seen anything like it. It's actually a little too fancy looking for my tastes probably, but that is one helluva piece of spruce on the top. Hotness.

Can't wait to hear your report on how it sounds!
Get this.... after several more e-mails the guy now apologizes, says he had a buddy over and they had a few too many beers and he was just messing around. Now he thinks he wants the amp.
Quote by jimtaka
So tell me what you guys think about this...

I saw the following ad on craigslist today: http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/1595795492.html

I have a Marshall MG15DFX sitting in the closet, which I thought sounded like a good option for this guy. So I send him this message:

Now obviously this isn't a boutique tube amplifier or anything, but everything I said is absolutely true imo and I really don't think the guy has a better option in his price range. Also keep in mind that I am offering to drive over an hour each way and over 130 miles total.

This is the response I get:

So what do you guys think? Am I wrong here? Do you guys think I was misleading or anything? Can this guy get a better amp with a $300 budget for guitar and amp?

I bet he doesn't have cancer,
or if it does ... he well ... may I say deserves it?

The guy is a douche and deserves to be treated as one.
Quote by jimtaka
Get this.... after several more e-mails the guy now apologizes, says he had a buddy over and they had a few too many beers and he was just messing around. Now he thinks he wants the amp.

His grammar isn't bad enough for a drunk person. I call BS, lol.
Equipment:

Quote by jimtaka

Anybody got any cool stuff lately?!

I do I do!
Hi Jim!
I recently inherited a 113 yr old Washburn Bowlback Mandolin.
Quote by LeftyDave
I do I do!
Hi Jim!

Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Can't wait to see pictures of that relic. I'm off to pick up my guitar, ooh yeah.
I wish I could say that....but apparently my savings are more important for college than buying a guitar.

I mean, I've got over 2 grand in savings bonds. It isn't like I'm going to miss that $300 a whole lot, especially after I get a job. I plan on replenishing that anyway.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
I wish I could say that....but apparently my savings are more important for college than buying a guitar.

I mean, I've got over 2 grand in savings bonds. It isn't like I'm going to miss that $300 a whole lot, especially after I get a job. I plan on replenishing that anyway.

Nothing worse than being in debt and owing your gov't money. Wait, 300? Er what. That's nothing! Well I guess it does matter when you don't have a job yet.

I now know what it feels like to be a women - you know the multiple orgasms - just got back from getting the guitar store. Now my guitar feels so good, sounds amazing. I'll have to put up pictures soon.

Btw, if anyone could 'direct' me to GP5, I'd be grateful - after my drive crashed I lost my copy.
Last edited by |Long| at Feb 12, 2010,
Yeah, $300 really isn't that much, I know. But like I said, no job. I'm looking to take it out of my savings account. I don't understand the reasoning here though. I pulled out money to help pay for my new Tele in November, under the condition that I would replenish the money when I got a job. I planned on doing the same thing with this one
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Yeah, $300 really isn't that much, I know. But like I said, no job. I'm looking to take it out of my savings account. I don't understand the reasoning here though. I pulled out money to help pay for my new Tele in November, under the condition that I would replenish the money when I got a job. I planned on doing the same thing with this one

You're terrible with money and have no structure? Sounds like 90% of the population . I personally would never touch any of my 'savings accounts' - if it's not urgent I can wait for the money to accumulate.

Ask you self if it's really needed?
This is true. Well I've got my savings account, and then there's my savings bonds, which I have over 2 grand in.

I shouldn't get it. I don't really need it at all, but love does strange things to people

I'm actually pretty good with money, as long as I can see it in front of me. When its just a number on a screen it doesn't really say as much to me.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by LeftyDave
I do I do!
Hi Jim!

Wow. Nice. Very Nice. I just played a mandolin for the first time the other day in the bluegrass band I'm in..And my classical pianist/mallet percussionist girlfriend (who plays piano and hammer dulcimer there) played bass for the first time.

And Dread, that is a really crazy looking guitar. Extremely beautiful.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
I bought a new 'kit' guitar to put together. An electric resonator. That is about it for the new stuff.

Wont be buying anything new for a year or so. I am saving at the moment for a new Harley (My '96 Sporster Im giving to my 19 year old daughter). So I have to save & save hard as I plan to retire (again) at 55 (1.75 years off) & want to have the new bike for some serious Aussie touring. I have been around Australia 5 times previously but not for the last 15 years so it is time to see it again. I thought about overseas but to be honest , We have it all here the only reason to go O.S. is for the culture.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Feb 12, 2010,
Quote by Natrone
This is true. Well I've got my savings account, and then there's my savings bonds, which I have over 2 grand in.

I shouldn't get it. I don't really need it at all, but love does strange things to people

I'm actually pretty good with money, as long as I can see it in front of me. When its just a number on a screen it doesn't really say as much to me.

I'd wait until you have a job, or know for certain you will pay it off before those savings are needed. Plus, 2 grand isn't much for post-secondary schooling [well at least not here]. Think about the boring future
Jim, don't know if you were around back in August, but I got an Alvarez MD90C as well. I'm loving it.

And right now I'm sitting in a train station in portland. About to take a train to Boston. and auditioning for Berklee later today.
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

Quote by clayonfire
Jim, don't know if you were around back in August, but I got an Alvarez MD90C as well. I'm loving it.

And right now I'm sitting in a train station in portland. About to take a train to Boston. and auditioning for Berklee later today.

Goodluck!
Quote by LeftyDave

That is awesome! Pics? What kind of shape is it in?!

Quote by clayonfire

I don't think I saw that you bought a Masterworks. Those are sweet guitars. Did you get a good deal on it? I know they discontinued the line and I saw some really good deals on the existing stock. Good luck on your Berklee audition! That's really great!

Quote by Confusius
Martin 000-15S

Noice!
Quote by jimtaka
Noice!

It's in so-so shape ATM. It's been severely humidity neglected for years and has suffered a couple of cracks as the result. One of them is on the top, from the bridge to the soundhole , while the others are all at structural lines where glue joints have failed. It's entirely fixable, but of course for a price. As a side note of interest, it's the exact same model mando that Orville Wright owned and played. Yes, of the Orville and Wilbur Wright aviator fame. I stumbled across that tidbit of info the other day whilst searching for data on the mando I have.
Pics on the way.
Quote by jimtaka

I don't think I saw that you bought a Masterworks. Those are sweet guitars. Did you get a good deal on it? I know they discontinued the line and I saw some really good deals on the existing stock. Good luck on your Berklee audition! That's really great!

Noice!

Yeah, I got a pretty good deal on it, $580 used. And the guy had already bought the additional mic to put in the soundhole for it. I've just been really lazy and haven't changed the strings he had on it (still sounds good).

And as for Berklee...even if I do get in, I probably wouldn't be able to afford it. That's alright though, I know of two other schools where I'd be perfectly happy. I've been getting more into classical and stuff recently, so yeah. It was a more so "lets see if I can get in" type of thing.
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

Quote by LeftyDave
It's in so-so shape ATM. It's been severely humidity neglected for years and has suffered a couple of cracks as the result. One of them is on the top, from the bridge to the soundhole , while the others are all at structural lines where glue joints have failed. It's entirely fixable, but of course for a price. As a side note of interest, it's the exact same model mando that Orville Wright owned and played. Yes, of the Orville and Wilbur Wright aviator fame. I stumbled across that tidbit of info the other day whilst searching for data on the mando I have.
Pics on the way.

I don't even play mandolins, but I'm still plenty jealous.
Equipment:

LeftyDave
Any chance of some pics pre-repair to see the level of damage. So we can all marvel at the finished product????
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
^Yes, yes, this.

Please Dave?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray