Page 3 of 6
For closed headphones in that price range, these seem to be well recommended:

Koss UR-20 Home Headphones

In any case, here's a shortlist of headphones for now that you can weed through and break down:

Sony MDR-XD300
Sony MDR-XD200
Sony MDR-XD100
Sennheiser HD420
Sennheiser HD201
Philips SHP2500
Philips SHP2000
Philips SBC HP820
Panasonic RP-HT275
Koss UR21
Koss UR20
JVC-Victor HARX500
JVC-Victor HAG33
JVC-Victor HA-G55
AKG K44
Aiwa HP-X222

Are you simply looking for circumaural headphones (around-the-ear) or does it have to be closed too?

open vs closed headphones (just in case)
I really don't mind either, but I'm leaning a little closer to a closed, but again, I'm not picky, I'm just looking for whats good in the price range.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Huh, I just got a pair of Sony MDRV150s yesterday, and I have to say, they're pretty good headphones.

The bass doesn't mud up, and the treble remains intact, both of which tend to be a problem with low-end headphones. (Especially the last set of earbuds I got a while back... They were so bad. They literally broke in less than a week. *shudders*)

I use them for listening to music, and they sound pretty good. Maybe not as good as a pair of higher-end AKGs or anything like that, but that's obvious.
What would be a good, relatively cheap (under $100 preferably) set of headphones that are particularly good in the bass department? Noise canceling is not much of an issue for me, and I'd prefer over-ear. I've been looking mainly into Sennheisers, and my friend as a pair that sound great, although I forget the model. Any help is appreciated.
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
I have a pair of sennheiser cx300 ii, and for the price they are great. But I will be investing in a good pair of headphones soon for about £70, can't wait
Quote by Synyster915
What would be a good, relatively cheap (under $100 preferably) set of headphones that are particularly good in the bass department? Noise canceling is not much of an issue for me, and I'd prefer over-ear. I've been looking mainly into Sennheisers, and my friend as a pair that sound great, although I forget the model. Any help is appreciated.

I have a pair of Wicked Audio Reverb's that I got at my local FYE for ~$35 if I remember correctly. Anyhow they are very nice headphones and have plenty of bass to them, yet a lot of clarity too. Are they better than Sennheiser's? Doubtful, but I like them.

My 2 cents.
^ Thanks, I'll check those out

These aren't over ear, but does anyone have any experience with these?

They're just within my price range, and seem to pretty much have all the specs I'm looking for.

Edit: On Amazon they're only $42, so they're actually well within my range.
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
Quote by crazy8rgood
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

Last edited by Synyster915 at Sep 5, 2010,
I'm looking for some in ear headphones that aren't absolute shit at around $30-$40. I like a bit of sparkle in the high end, and I'd prefer if they had a decent bass response too, but that seems like it might be too much to ask for in a cheap set of headphones. Thanks.
Quote by hippiebass
I'm looking for some in ear headphones that aren't absolute shit at around $30-$40. I like a bit of sparkle in the high end, and I'd prefer if they had a decent bass response too, but that seems like it might be too much to ask for in a cheap set of headphones. Thanks.

Sennheiser CX300 ii

Best cheap in ear earphones you can get. You can probably pick them up online for around $30
I ended up getting Cx 400 IIs, they're awesome.
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
Quote by crazy8rgood
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

i love my skull candys they are great to ski with
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
I want to get the Sennheiser HD555's. Has anyone had any experience with them?
I like headphones, but not the earbuds. Thouse drive me crazy.
Quote by Duffman123
I want to get the Sennheiser HD555's. Has anyone had any experience with them?

I'm not big on Sennies but I heard good stuff about those phones
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I got a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's on the way. I'm pretty stoked
I use these

They're really annoying because the wire keeps retracting when you run. I used to have a pair of half-decent Panasonic headphones but they recently broke... I need a new (cheap) one.
I'm looking for some new headphones that will be used in my music course at college which involves recording and sequencing etc. I would like them to cost about £35 and be over ear (i'm pretty sure thats what they're called).

So far I have seen these;

Sennheiser HD 205
AKG K99 Semi-Open Circumaural Headphones - What is Semi-Open?
Sennheiser Hd 203

Which of these headphones will bet suit me? or what others should I be looking at.

I think so far it's between the Sennheiser 205's or the AKG's.
Just remembered I saw a pair of those HD 205's lying around in my house so gave them a go... Lifeless is basically how I'd describe them, the highs were on the tinny side and the fit was very tight, but I probably have an abnormally large head. Then again I did A/B them with a pair of Shure SRH 440's so probably not the fairest test in the world. Still though at that price I refuse to believe that's the best sound you're going to get
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Ok thanks, i'll cross them off the list. I think the AKG's look good but i'm stil unsure about what the semi-open thing is.
Any others I should look at?
Last edited by Lr-Mtb at Nov 17, 2010,
Anyone recently bought a pair of CX300-IIs? Oh my Lord, they are so shit compared to my last pair of them, sound quality and build quality have gone to shit. Sticker on the splitter part came off, sound is muddy, far too much bass and poorer material used for the jack and the case that comes with them. Any one else notice this?
DO IT LIVE
Well mine went in one ear today and I have been careful with them. My previous ones did the same.
Quote by Corby1888
Anyone recently bought a pair of CX300-IIs? Oh my Lord, they are so shit compared to my last pair of them, sound quality and build quality have gone to shit. Sticker on the splitter part came off, sound is muddy, far too much bass and poorer material used for the jack and the case that comes with them. Any one else notice this?

Did you get them off Ebay by any chance? It's flooded with fakes, I got a set of CX500's a year or so ago and they had the same problems you're desrcribing. I had real CX300's at the time so compared them and it became blatently obvious something was wrong, they also used to vibrate like a sex toy when the bass was up. Would be a shame to see Sennheiser ruin such a good set of earphones.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

i recently bought a pair of samson ch700 headphones. they are pretty good, i would recomend these if you don't want to spend a lot. i got them for $60 but you might be able to get them cheaper if you order them online.
GENERIC SIGNATURE
Quote by faultyy
Did you get them off Ebay by any chance? It's flooded with fakes, I got a set of CX500's a year or so ago and they had the same problems you're desrcribing. I had real CX300's at the time so compared them and it became blatently obvious something was wrong, they also used to vibrate like a sex toy when the bass was up. Would be a shame to see Sennheiser ruin such a good set of earphones.

Yes, ebay is full of fakes. A real pair of CX-300 II's/Precision/Enhanced bass etc. will run you $50-$60
One thing I will say about the CX300-IIs- depending on which packaging it is, be VERY careful taking them out of the box for the first time. Same with Goldring GX200s. Anyways, take them out slowly and gently. If you pull too hard, the plastic packaging is pretty resistant and may cause some wiring to work a little loose. Over time and use this will end up with channels going pffffffffffffffffft.
Quote by faultyy

Got them off amazon, but an unknown retailer through amazon, probably are fakes then.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EZYMF4/ref=oss_product
There's the link, probably explains the price as well.
DO IT LIVE
What's wrong with Skull Candies!? lol I love them. They get loud, great range of sound, great bass and they last a long time if you take care of them. The only problem I've had is the jack inner wire losing connection :/ The ear buds of course. I've had them and some Dre Beats, and personally, I find $15 Skull Candies better than $200 Beats...
Quote by mikeyman94
What's wrong with Skull Candies!? lol I love them. They get loud, great range of sound, great bass and they last a long time if you take care of them. The only problem I've had is the jack inner wire losing connection :/ The ear buds of course. I've had them and some Dre Beats, and personally, I find $15 Skull Candies better than $200 Beats...

You should slap your parents for giving you faulty ear genes.
Quote by mikeyman94

Try some CX300's, then try them again, all will become clear, they sound like mud. Havn't tried Beats but I'm still not going to take your last statement that seriously

I had Bose around-ear headphones that I see people everywhere using but they broke on me, so I replaced them with Sennheiser HD408s which sound amazing. TBH though, I don't really like how they sit on my head :S
Ah, completely forgot I haven't done a review on my babies:

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Headphones/Headphones/P5/Sound.html

Bowers and Wilkins P5 headphones. B+W are the guys who kitted out Abbey Road studios and Skywalker Sound studios.

Supraural, closed back. Comes with two Van den Hul cables- one with an inline iPod controller, the other naked. Interestingly, the one with the in-cable iPod controller actually gives a slight boost to detail in sound, which is unexpected.

The design is made from metal and New Zealand lamb leather. They have a"swivel folding" style for flat storage in the supplied padded pouch. The earpads are removable and held in place by magnets, to facilitate swapping out the cable. Very light on the head, but they stay on solidly.

Anyways, onto the main bit- sound. None of this "enhanced bass" bollocks here- these headphones are very natural sounding, especially for a closed back design. The low end isn't overpowering, neither is it wooly. It does exactly what needs to be done- to compliment the overall sound. Detail is good- not too bright. Harsh detail contributes hugely to listening fatigue. As these headphones are primarily designed for portable use, listening fatigue isn't something you need to be dealing with. As with all B+W products, midrange is top notch. The human voice sounds clear, with full dynamics and well handled inflections. Acoustic guitars have that clack of hitting the string without being over the top, and cellos sound warm and full.

The thing that these headphones excel with though, is soundstage. The best headphones are the ones that don't sound like headphones, and soundstage contributes to this. These headphones have such good retrieval that they are able to place instruments not just eft and right, but actually in front and behind you.

Finally in this short review, these headphones are marketed for iPod users. Primarily. However these double extremely well as phones for home listening. I now own a Rotel RA1620 with a QUAD 9CDP/2 CD player (had to downsize my rig ) and in those times when I can't have my music coming through my speakers, these headphones do a very good job of repoducing most kinds of music.
Hey guys, my dad's looking for some new headphones around the $200-$300 USD range. He was looking at the Bose QC2, but I understand that you can get some better noise cancelling headphones for the price. That was really his only requirement on his headphones, that they be noise cancelling, but being the audio nut that I am, I wanted to get him the best quality I can. You guys got any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by Lr-Mtb
Ideas for over ear headphones for monitoring at about £60? Thanks.

Shure SRH440's are well worth a look, think they are between £60-£70

Do over ear headphones generally sound better than on ear headphones?
Has anyone here tried the Meelectronics M9's? Are they any good, or is there anything better for a similar price?
Quote by fearofthemark
They're on the avoid list because they ALWAYS break within a few months, and they're $30 for a replacement. When they come with your iPod, they're not bad.

This, plus in my opinion I don't think the sound quality is that good, but whenever I need a new pair, I go for gumys as they fill my need well, plus they are cheap!

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄