Page 4 of 6
Has anyone tried the Sony MDR XB700?

I have been getting mixed reviews on them, some saying they have fantastic bass that does not overpower mids or treble and some saying the opposite.
anyone ever tried Audio Technica ath-m30s? theyre the forerunner in my search for new phones.

Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
I haven't tried that specific model of AT's but in my experience, AT's are ridiculously good for their prices.

Quote by Duffman123
I have been getting mixed reviews on them, some saying they have fantastic bass that does not overpower mids or treble and some saying the opposite.

If you can't outright decide based on reviews, I'd say it's best you try them out yourself. Different music, different recordings, different rigs would yield different results. Also, to your previous question, are we talking about circumaural and supraaural phones? The former is far superior, no doubts about it.
Last edited by Cianyx at Jan 23, 2011,
i like Philips headphones, have never let me down.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I boughtHMV Caps the other day, absolutely brilliant, they recreate the sound really well, especially considering they were only £5, best budget earphones I've ever had, they come close to Sennheiser CX300 quality. There's only one problem and that's that they break after a few months, but I got a warranty for a couple of quid extra. So for £7 I got myself an excellent pair of earphones with a warranty.

Rating for metal: 8/10

Rating for DnB: 7.5/10

Rating for HipHop/RnB: 8.5/10

Highly recommended.
Quote by Milesthedude
If you're havin' room problems I feel bad for you son,
I got 99 problems but a room ain't one.

Artist of the Month: Mic Righteous

Birmingham City FC

Carling Cup Winners 2011
Hey guys looking for some new phones and have narrowed it down to the Sennheiser HD555, or Grado SR60i. I really like the idea of the Grados, but I'd hate to have to take them off after only one hour or so. I'm also not sure my family would like the sound leaking, so how obtrusive are the Grados?

apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quite. Overall though, open headphones have better sound quality. What do you mean by taking them off after an hour?
They are said to be relatively uncomfortable, also with pretty severe ear fatigue after an hour or so.

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Wouldn't say it induces ear fatigue at all but its supraaural design isn't exactly comfortable either. Personally, I haven't tried that particular Sennies and I've always found them to be hit and miss so I can't say for sure. Give it a test run at some headphone shop and see how it goes.

If you have a chance, check out Audio Technica's AD700. I'm using it right now and cannot recommend it enough
Was looking at those too, but I don't know where I'll be able to test drive all these headphones. I'm not sure I want to drive like 2 hours to the city to be able to find them, and I'm not sure I'd be able to find them then...

Will an Ipod drive the AD700s?

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
I am shocked and apalled that Sony isnt on the recommended brands. I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB700, great shit. Got em for only $80.
pinga
So..... Breaking in headphones, how about that?

The other day I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 428's brand new. I listened to them straight out of the box and they sounded good, not mind-blowing, but the sound quality was definitely satisfactory. After listening to them for a few hours straight, I started to notice certain dynamics in the music that I wasn't hearing before. This must be the "breaking-in" period I've heard so much about from headphone experts. Do all headphones have to be broken in after being bought new, or does it happen mainly with certain phone designs, brands, models, etc?
I got a pair of Senn HD201 headphones and I love them, but I have been noticing some crackling noises from my left can, so I need a new pair, these things are about 5 years old. Budget of $40 maaaybe $50. It's still tough to drop $40-$50 on a pair of well...headphones. I was looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M30 or the Panasonic RP-HTX7 or JVC harx700. Any suggestions? I only want circumaural full-size headphones.
are beats br dr dre actually any good?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Hi guys, right now I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-555's. I love them, and they're great headphones. I've had them almost 2 years now though, and am ready to upgrade. One thing that has to be different about my next headphones is they need to be closed back. The 555's are open back, and while open back generally produces better sound, I've had some trouble because of the headphone noise escaping and hearing outside noise while using the headphones. But I'm not just looking for a switch, I'm looking for an improvement in sound quality as well. This time around, my budget is much larger. I'm willing to spend 200-250 dollars. Do you think any closed back headphones in this price region will have superior sound quality to the 555's?

How does the headphone thread feel about the BEATS?

These "professional" headphones are $300-350 for the standard over-ear design.

I haven't done a thorough listening with them in a long time, but I'm quite confident in my opinion that they are shit for the price. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they produce audio well, but not $350 well. Why?

First of all, it's a Dr. Dre/Monster product. Dr. Dre slapping his name on it adds money instantly, without a doubt.
Second, their intended market for the product isn't audiophiles and I'm sure of it. On the the Beats website, they don't name any useful statistics concerning the actual performance, all they do is mention the "tour case" and the fancy cloths they give to you. Oh, and it has a microphone that is iPod compatible. Yeah, I'm buying $350 "studio" headphones so I can make calls on my iPhone too as I play my 192kbps MP3s.

I've heard too many damn stories about the rich kids who buy them and become interested in high quality audio, only to find they could've spend $200 less and bought a nicer pair of headphones.
^ Don't get the beats, completely over priced and they don't sound great. If you're looking for similar, better headphones look at the Sony MDRXB700's, Beyerdynamic DT-770's, Denon AH-D2000's and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's. Also, no headphones are going to sound great when played with 192kbps MP3s.

Also, for anyone with Sennheiser HD555's, you can turn them into HD595's with a simple mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQ8PzBrHXE
Last edited by Duffman123 at May 2, 2011,
Quote by Duffman123
^ Don't get the beats, completely over priced and they don't sound great.]

That was my point of the entire post...

I'm a proud owner of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones
Quote by fearofthemark
TS, make a list of recommended headphone brands in the OP, and which common ones to avoid.

For the record, the Sennheiser HD series ( I have the HD555) is really good, and it's generally accepted that Skullcandy is shit.

I have a set from the HD series, beast headphones

I've had one or two skullcandy headphones over the years, I actually didn't find the sound too bad, but they break FAR too easily
SOLO STUFF HERE!
www.myspace.com/antioneire

BAND HERE!
www.myspace.com/theprojectire

Quote by element4433
See...this is why we make a plan. You have to know how you're going to masturbate in every situation.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
We're bros, bro. Not 'mos.
Quote by RPGoof
That was my point of the entire post...

I'm a proud owner of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones

Good choice, how are they?

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Forgot about this thread...

GUESS WHAT I GOT TO TRY?!?!?!?!!!

The Grado GS1000i.

OH.MY.GOD.

I look at my P5s and get depressed.

Fucking jealous.

How much different are they compared to set of mid range priced cans?
It's really weird to explain. You're always aware that you're listening to headphones when you're listening to headphones. These were like sitting down within a surround system almost, but with decent standmounts as satellites. Just no sense of that headphone...ness at all. As I said with my P5s, there's a soundstage between the headphones and above/ in front too. With these, it was well beyond the phones. Porcupine Tree sounded f*cking amazing.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's really weird to explain. You're always aware that you're listening to headphones when you're listening to headphones. These were like sitting down within a surround system almost, but with decent standmounts as satellites. Just no sense of that headphone...ness at all. As I said with my P5s, there's a soundstage between the headphones and above/ in front too. With these, it was well beyond the phones. Porcupine Tree sounded f*cking amazing.

I want to get another pair of headphones that have good soundstage and mids. I went for fun headphones and I regret nothing since they sound great with the majority of the music I listen to these days. But then there's also the times when I want to listen to DSOTM and they sound pretty rubbish.

Also, I must admit those P5's are sexy

I have this

Since I use them for my ipod there is no point on getting something else really.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
I'd love to get a pair of Grado's. Right now I use Bose over-ear noise cancelling, only cause I can't stand noise when I'm on planes, the Tube, busses, etc etc. At home though, I'd love to get a really good set of headphone. Bose are great, but far overpriced.
Quote by Duffman123
^ Don't get the beats, completely over priced and they don't sound great. If you're looking for similar, better headphones look at the Sony MDRXB700's, Beyerdynamic DT-770's, Denon AH-D2000's and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's. Also, no headphones are going to sound great when played with 192kbps MP3s.

Also, for anyone with Sennheiser HD555's, you can turn them into HD595's with a simple mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQ8PzBrHXE

oh my god, thank you so much! that's sick!

Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
oh my god, thank you so much! that's sick!

Post results if you can
Quote by Duffman123
I want to get another pair of headphones that have good soundstage and mids. I went for fun headphones and I regret nothing since they sound great with the majority of the music I listen to these days. But then there's also the times when I want to listen to DSOTM and they sound pretty rubbish.

Also, I must admit those P5's are sexy

The P5s have mids in spades without getting muddy. Give them an audition sometime with DSOTM. We actuakly use The Final Cut quite often to demo them, actually.
Quote by Duffman123
Post results if you can

I just did it. It's literally snapping out the padding and mesh grill, unscrewing 3 screws, taking out a piece of foam tape, and just putting everything back. I did it in three minutes, max.

The song I used for comparison was Upside Down Kingdom by As I Lay Dying. It has excellent bass, especially in the (amazing) intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9vS2GzEOOY

I also played 21 Guns, by Green Day to see how it did with cleans and sung vocals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5jiwi8kZKk

(Obviously, I didn't use the youtube versions)

The bass sounds much more open, a bit less muddy, whereas before, it felt a bit constrained or limited. I just couldn't help headbanging ^.^

With 21 Guns, it sounded a bit more (because the headphones were great from the beginning) like the artists were in the room with me. The mod gave these headphones a more natural sound. I'd definitely recommend this to anybody who buys the HD555s.

I'm not sure about sound leakage though. One problem, although they were designed that way to maximise airflow, of the HD555s is that anyone can hear what you're playing, which could annoy them. Taking out the piece of insulating foam makes the sound better but could potentially increase the amount of sound leaked. Ah well, let them suffer

Again, thanks for the mod, it worked like a charm

edit: Listening to Katy Perry's Firework. The bass is much tighter and more pronounced. Plus, Katy Perry is hot.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at May 2, 2011,
I don't know if that mod is really worth it. How does that make them equal to the 595's at all? And I really don't want more noise leakage...

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
I don't know if that mod is really worth it. How does that make them equal to the 595's at all? And I really don't want more noise leakage...

It makes the bass response a bunch better. The only real difference between the 555 and 595 is the bass is better on the 595s. It's so simple, makes your headphones sound better, and it's easily reversible. If you really hate noise leakage, you wouldn't have bought the 555s in the first place.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by SaintsofNowhere

The 55's and 595's have the exact same drivers and basically the exact same hardware. The only difference is the exterior.
all skullcandy haters avert your gaze

which would be better to get, GI black print or GI stereo headphones?
i cant decide between the two :/
is there any difference really?
I picked up a pair of headphones by Urbanears (the model is Medis) the other day at my work. Never heard of them but I picked them up because of the price (Regularly $50 but since its not an item we regularly carry in store, they were marked at $12.50). I was impressed. They fit in the ears a little weird but you can get pretty physical and wont have to worry about them popping out. They were really good sounding. Pretty good response all around and very clear. I didn't need any extra EQ on my iPod to make my music sound good. Also, the built in mic works well for calls (which is a plus).

Anyone else tried these guys out?
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by fearofthemark
It makes the bass response a bunch better. The only real difference between the 555 and 595 is the bass is better on the 595s. It's so simple, makes your headphones sound better, and it's easily reversible. If you really hate noise leakage, you wouldn't have bought the 555s in the first place.

No, that's the only regret I have about the headphones. I didn't think leakage would be such a big deal, but it is. I'm ready for an upgrade to a closed back pair.

I bought some Meelectronics M11+ first entry level audiophile iems. Waiting for them to come in the mail. Damn USA to Canada shipping.