dm1925
Ug's monster addict
1,123 IQ
Hey UGers.

My metal/death metal band just lost a guitarist. We are now a 3 piece band, guitar/vocals, bass and drums. It seems like only us 3 are really able to get along really well. The last 2 times we tried to bring someone else into the mix, we ended up not getting along at all and eventually had to let them go. The problem is that as a guitar player, I like to have to have another guitarist playing because it fattens up the sound, and opens up alot of options when songwriting.

My question is should we get another guitarist and risk not getting along, or stay a 3 piece? Also, do you think having only 3 members hurts our image as a band?
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
GoodCharloteSux
3,778 IQ
3 Piece Metal Bands are very rare... i don't know just on a technical aspect if you guys could handle it. Metal solo's with no rhythm guitar in metal are very ugh, trust me I used to be in a 3 piece metal band, it blew. Get a 4th guy or shift your sound
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Black Star
UG Fanatic
376 IQ
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
3 Piece Metal Bands are very rare... i don't know just on a technical aspect if you guys could handle it. Metal solo's with no rhythm guitar in metal are very ugh, trust me I used to be in a 3 piece metal band, it blew. Get a 4th guy or shift your sound

As long as you have a bassist that can do something beyond root notes, a metal band can work perfectly with one guitarist.

Ever hear of Motorhead?

To answer TS, I don't think it'll hurt your image at all. I'd say your band getting along is much more important than you having another guitarist. It's better to have a decent band that stays together than an awesome band that's breaking up every week.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Last edited by Black Star at Feb 14, 2010,
SilentHeaven109
UG's Yahtzee
266 IQ
Quote by Black Star
Ever hear of Motorhead?

That's such an inappropriate example for the point you're trying to make, kinda like how the Doors are the universal example of how bands can work without bassists, you have to consider the context.

TS has already stated that he plays in a death metal band. As an avid death metal fan, I can honestly say that I've never even seen a decent death metal band with one guitarist (someone prove me wrong? )
It's very intense music that requires the crunch and power of 2 guitars, in my opinion at least.

If it was a simple Classic Rock/Melodic Metal band, one guitar would be fine. However, if you want to make good death metal getting a 2nd guitarist is pretty much unavoidable.

You might be finding it difficult to accept someone else because you 3 are such good friends. All I can suggest is that you keep trying to find someone, it may be a bit difficult to find musicians who want to play death metal, but if you're serious about this band and your style then you'll have to keep trying.

The number of members shouldn't hurt your image at all, I wouldn't think. Image in death metal isn't exactly difficult anyway, if you have cargo shorts, unreadable logos on your T-shirts and maybe some leather, the number of members won't hurt at all
seljer
UG Resident
1,381 IQ
Amongst the bands I've seen in the past year there were quite a few playing pretty heavy stuff just as trios.

Sodom and Destruction doing that oldschool german thrash thing still going.
Psycroptic have only one guitarist + bass and are as brutal as **** (though to what I heard they had quite a lot of samples and such going on for the clean guitar intros etc...)
The Faceless had only one guitar live (because quite frankly you'd have to be insane to sing while playing that kind of stuff)

it can be done
dm1925
Ug's monster addict
1,123 IQ
Quote by SilentHeaven109
That's such an inappropriate example for the point you're trying to make, kinda like how the Doors are the universal example of how bands can work without bassists, you have to consider the context.

TS has already stated that he plays in a death metal band. As an avid death metal fan, I can honestly say that I've never even seen a decent death metal band with one guitarist (someone prove me wrong? )
It's very intense music that requires the crunch and power of 2 guitars, in my opinion at least.

If it was a simple Classic Rock/Melodic Metal band, one guitar would be fine. However, if you want to make good death metal getting a 2nd guitarist is pretty much unavoidable.

You might be finding it difficult to accept someone else because you 3 are such good friends. All I can suggest is that you keep trying to find someone, it may be a bit difficult to find musicians who want to play death metal, but if you're serious about this band and your style then you'll have to keep trying.

The number of members shouldn't hurt your image at all, I wouldn't think. Image in death metal isn't exactly difficult anyway, if you have cargo shorts, unreadable logos on your T-shirts and maybe some leather, the number of members won't hurt at all

Hah, we dont do the whole unreadable logo thing, thats for the deathcore kids now.
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Black Star
UG Fanatic
376 IQ
Quote by SilentHeaven109

Maybe if you read what I quoted, you'd realize that my comment was not towards the TS, but to the guy who said "you need two guitars to play metal". My point was to prove that statement false. Just like if somebody said "you HAVE to have a bassist", I would use the Doors as an example, even though they have something else to fill the lower end. If the statement is wrong, I'm going to argue it. Context is irrelevant.

However, I will agree that it's harder to do with a death metal band. But not impossible.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
SilentHeaven109
UG's Yahtzee
266 IQ
Quote by Black Star
Maybe if you read what I quoted, you'd realize that my comment was not towards the TS, but to the guy who said "you need two guitars to play metal". My point was to prove that statement false. Just like if somebody said "you HAVE to have a bassist", I would use the Doors as an example, even though they have something else to fill the lower end. If the statement is wrong, I'm going to argue it. Context is irrelevant.

However, I will agree that it's harder to do with a death metal band. But not impossible.

I meant that it was inappropriate because Motorhead aren't really a metal band, I'd have probably used Pantera, Galneryus or Nightwish as an example, but I do agree with you that most types of metal can be done with just one guitar, death metal just isn't one of them in my view.

Also, you usually do have to consider context when giving advice. For example, there was a thread here a while back where a guy asked if his punk/metal would sound good without a bassist, and quite a few people pointed to The Doors, which just doesn't make sense, whereas if the general question was, "Do you need a bassist?" then it would be a valid example.
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Feb 14, 2010,
Black Star
UG Fanatic
376 IQ
Quote by SilentHeaven109
I meant that it was inappropriate because Motorhead aren't really a metal band, but I do agree with you that most types of metal can be done with just one guitar, death metal just isn't one of them in my view.

Also, you usually do have to consider context when giving advice. For example, there was a thread here a while back where a guy asked if his punk/metal would sound good without a bassist, and quite a few people pointed to The Doors, which just doesn't make sense, whereas if the general question was, "Do you need a bassist?" then it would be a valid example.

Well of course context is important, but as far as my argument went, context was irrelevant. Glad to see this was just a misunderstanding, though

But really, Motorhead not being a metal band?

Also, with the topic being "3 piece bands," my mind went to the only metal band I know of with three members. I forgot all the bands that are essentially a power trio + a vocalist. But also, Nightwish use keyboards extensively, so they wouldn't be a very good example, either.
Quote by MuffinMan
Last edited by Black Star at Feb 14, 2010,
SilentHeaven109
UG's Yahtzee
266 IQ
Quote by Black Star
Well of course context is important, but as far as my argument went, context was irrelevant. Glad to see this was just a misunderstanding, though

But really, Motorhead not being a metal band?

Also, with the topic being "3 piece bands," my mind went to the only metal band I know of with three members. I forgot all the bands that are essentially a power trio + a vocalist. But also, Nightwish use keyboards extensively, so they wouldn't be a very good example, either.

I'm not much of a genre elitist, so I wouldn't want to argue what genre Motorhead fall into, but I've always really just considered them Rock and Roll, as Lemmy himself does.

You may have hit on something with that last point too, using keyboards is an excellent way for one guitar bands to beef up their sounds. I haven't heard them much in pure death metal (Nocturnus is all that really comes to mind ) but if there's some Melodic Death Metal influence then keyboards/synth could work wonders, TS.
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Feb 14, 2010,
Declan87
Bainne
690 IQ
Why don't you write the music that you want to write, arrange it for guitar/bass/drums, and leave the genre classifications to the NME?
phoenix_crush
Former Registered User
1,130 IQ
High on Fire has one guitar and they're pretty heavy. Not death metal, but still...
Td_Nights
UG Fanatic
608 IQ
The Fall Of Troy do some heavier stuff at times, and they're a three piece...or did they add a keyboardist? I don't keep track.

Anyways TS: If all else fails...Looper pedals with pre-recorded tracks are your friend. Invest in a good one.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
lowend77
166 IQ
Quote by SilentHeaven109
That's such an inappropriate example for the point you're trying to make, kinda like As an avid death metal fan, I can honestly say that I've never even seen a decent death metal band with one guitarist (someone prove me wrong?

Krisiun !!!!
MrWright_11
65 IQ
In a live setting ive seen three peices metal acts at the Rave in Milwaukee. The Bass can really carry the song under soloing guitars cause people hear whats not there sometimes the mind fills in the blank amidst the live atmosphere. But the Bassist has to know what hes doing
6stringbassist
518 IQ
You can make it work. And try to find a guitarist that you all like, so you will all get along with each other.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution
1,627 IQ
Quote by dm1925
Hey UGers.

My metal/death metal band just lost a guitarist. We are now a 3 piece band, guitar/vocals, bass and drums. It seems like only us 3 are really able to get along really well. The last 2 times we tried to bring someone else into the mix, we ended up not getting along at all and eventually had to let them go. The problem is that as a guitar player, I like to have to have another guitarist playing because it fattens up the sound, and opens up alot of options when songwriting.

My question is should we get another guitarist and risk not getting along, or stay a 3 piece? Also, do you think having only 3 members hurts our image as a band?

I just googled 3 piece metal band and came up with this, I'm not a real metal head, but it sounds pretty tight to me.

Revocation - dismantle the dictator
Freunleven
Flying Monkey King
1,714 IQ
The original metal band - y'know, Black Sabbath - got by just fine with only one guitar. Damageplan, Pantera and Disturbed have done all right with just one guitar player, too. Hendrix, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, while not strictly metal acts, seem to have managed to pull off a solid guitar-based sound with just one guitar player.

Its not a matter of having what you think you need - its a matter of doing the best you can with what you have.
Timothy O.
1,045 IQ
I don't think it's impossible, but it depends on how technical you wanna get solo wise (like, you obviously can't harmonize guitar lines the way you would with 2 guitarists). If you can't get along with a 4th member then you may not have another choice but never keep that option closed if you think you may need the 2nd guitar. I'm in a 3-piece hard rock band and to thicken our sound my bassist will put distortion on his bass. I'm not sure if yours does or not (I always though death metal bands usually keep their bass distorted) but if not, have him try that, and maybe make your guitar and the bass tuned to an even lower tuning (if you're in Drop C try Drop B or Drop Bb) to make the sound thicker. Not sure if that'd help the sound or make things worse but it seems like it'd make for a fuller sound overall as a band. Trial and error I suppose.
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,165 IQ
Quote by Td_Nights
The Fall Of Troy do some heavier stuff at times, and they're a three piece...or did they add a keyboardist? I don't keep track.

Anyways TS: If all else fails...Looper pedals with pre-recorded tracks are your friend. Invest in a good one.

I was this close to posting TFOT, but I decided to read the comments first. Good thing, haha.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

isabiggles
UG Addict
1,203 IQ
It's possible.

Unlikely though... your best bet is probably to carry on as you are whilst trying out various guitarists. Don't commit to one guitarist. Guitarists are everywhere and are always looking for a band so it's not going to be difficult to find them.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Highwaytohell
Motorhead'll do ur mum
3,347 IQ
High on Fire. One of the heaviest sounding trios ever. They f'kin rule!
It really depends on how good your bassist is. If you got a dude who can really rip ellefson and burton lines, has powerful tone and is unafraid to use such mechanisms as distortion and bass powerchords- you can do alot- i know thats what my bassist does :O