Does anyone know if practicing long tones would help technical playing? As a saxophonist, playing long tones helps develop embouchure and tone, so if practiced on guitar, it seems to me that finger pressure and hand relaxation could be developed.
You thoughts?
Well you can only play as long as your guitar can sustain.
And to me, well, I just don't see very much to be refined there.
Quote by brcck
Well you can only play as long as your guitar can sustain.

+1

Finger strength would be developed better on guitar through practice of scales, legato, etc.
well i play trombone, and on an instrument where you use your lungs yeah...but like brcck said i really dont see helping much it on guitar
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
Well, I don't know what you mean by "technical playing" but playing long tones will certainly improve your technique - vibrato, feedback control, an understanding of tone production... all good things to have.
Hi Y'all,

I know this is a relatively old post, but I think I can shed some light on this issue. Long tones, or the equivalent on the guitar, is an absolutely indespensible technique with numerous benefits. I've recently created a youtube video that addresses this issue. Please feel free to check it out:

[forbidden link]

If you have any questions I'm here for you.

Cheers,
Izaac
Last edited by izaacmusic at Dec 7, 2012,