Page 1 of 2
the_wassel
629 IQ
Well, I decided to clean up my act and become a contributing member of the UG community and stop cluddering the forum with useless threads. So here's a question, what band most influence punk, but wasn't exactly "punk". Some people say The Stooges, others the MC5, The Velvet Underground and the Sonics. What do you guys think?
Kämpfer
736 IQ
Hey! you're the guy that's writing that 'Career Opportunities' story yeah? great work dude.
As for the thread, I don't really know..I'd say The Stooges.
the_wassel
629 IQ
Quote by Kämpfer
Hey! you're the guy that's writing that 'Career Opportunities' story yeah? great work dude.
As for the thread, I don't really know..I'd say The Stooges.

thanks for noticing dude. i just got bored one day, and after reading all of nolan whyte's stuff i thought "what the hell". but yeah, i'd say them
psorgatz
86 IQ
Woody Guthrie
Quote by MangoStarr
i think i love you
swarley
604 IQ
I'll just throw the New York Dolls into the mix here.
Ekofu
Banned
42 IQ
My Chemical Romance.

Let's face it, there's a lot of new 'punk' bands that were influenced by them.
Pop ******s.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
No, that's not really true at all. The only self-proclaimed punk bands I know of that have been significantly influenced by MCR are the little "bands" that never actually played together or wrote songs. You know, just some 7th grade pals who said they played instruments and decided to make a Myspace music page.
the_wassel
629 IQ
Quote by werty22
No, that's not really true at all. The only self-proclaimed punk bands I know of that have been significantly influenced by MCR are the little "bands" that never actually played together or wrote songs. You know, just some 7th grade pals who said they played instruments and decided to make a Myspace music page.

i don't like your tone "pal".

you're treating me like a poser. i'm not. infact, you're ****ing cyberstalking me.

get a life. don't pick on kids.
neidnarb11890
so bored with the USA
270 IQ
It's spelled "poseur".
Werty's not stalking you, he's just hanging out on the forums like he always does. Don't be afraid of him; his bark is worse than his bite. But if you don't want to be barked at, don't walk past his yard. You dig, maaaan?

Anywho, Arthur Rimbaud, Chuck Berry, those jazz artists I don't know nothin' about, Jack Kerouac, William S. Burroughs, Bob Dylan, The Velvet Underground, The Stooges, Patti Smith, New York Dolls, Talking Heads, Television, Devo, Joy Division, Wire, Minutemen, etc. etc. you catch my drift.
DempseyPunk
go fly some kites
1,175 IQ
Green Day

OLOLOLOL
amidoinitrite?
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
Before I say anything, the wassel is a whiny little bitch.

Moving on.

So basically nothing is worse for punk than this useless circle-jerking over the influences of punk. Punk itself is simply stripped down rock. To say that a particular band or person was more instrumental in getting people to play simpler rock is silly and pretentious. Punk wasn't so much a musical movement in the fact that it was a change of musical style, rather it was a re-emphasis of song-writing over technical skill and style.

While it is hard to argue that bands like The Stooges and The Sex Pistols have no influence on future musicians it becomes more and more apparent as you look at it that they were more or less symptoms of a new attitude towards music, not the driving forces behind the change. The Ramones were rather important but at the same time you can only give so much credit to the band that played incredibly simple music. They weren't breaking ground, they were simply simplifying what was already there. When people noticed this simple music was still good punk was born. Influences are stupid and people need to get over this silly concept.

And werty is right, the people who claim MC5 are important generally do so because they are the oldest band that people generally agree on being very punk-like and doing so gets you credibility when you're at the certain age when punk is a pissing contest and enjoying punk is secondary to enjoying your new social status as "king punk."

Long story short people need to stop making threads for the sake of making threads. These threads are so dumb and it makes me mad that such a large portion of the younger punks find these conversations to be the height of punk discourse.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
rushpython
Caught in a Mosh
878 IQ
Mozart
or Led Zeppelin
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
And this is why metalheads are dumb.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
the_wassel
629 IQ
Quote by axeslash

Moving on.

So basically nothing is worse for punk than this useless circle-jerking over the influences of punk. Punk itself is simply stripped down rock. To say that a particular band or person was more instrumental in getting people to play simpler rock is silly and pretentious. Punk wasn't so much a musical movement in the fact that it was a change of musical style, rather it was a re-emphasis of song-writing over technical skill and style.

While it is hard to argue that bands like The Stooges and The Sex Pistols have no influence on future musicians it becomes more and more apparent as you look at it that they were more or less symptoms of a new attitude towards music, not the driving forces behind the change. The Ramones were rather important but at the same time you can only give so much credit to the band that played incredibly simple music. They weren't breaking ground, they were simply simplifying what was already there. When people noticed this simple music was still good punk was born. Influences are stupid and people need to get over this silly concept.

And werty is right, the people who claim MC5 are important generally do so because they are the oldest band that people generally agree on being very punk-like and doing so gets you credibility when you're at the certain age when punk is a pissing contest and enjoying punk is secondary to enjoying your new social status as "king punk."

Long story short people need to stop making threads for the sake of making threads. These threads are so dumb and it makes me mad that such a large portion of the younger punks find these conversations to be the height of punk discourse.

if you don't like it, stay out maybe? that's just a thought. "don't walk past his yard."
I_Pwn
is gonna find you
2,803 IQ
Quote by the_wassel

you're treating me like a poser. i'm not. infact, you're ****ing cyberstalking me.

This is a forum dude, it's meant for people to discuss issues. Werty didn't even say anything rude to you, he just offered his input to the conversation at hand. I second the comment that you're a whiny bitch.
brnh.bandcamp.com
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
BR0KENHEARTED
Banned
1,074 IQ
Quote by werty22

Nickel Sluts

I had to.
Lots O' FX
Ug's BallsOutDeathmeister
320 IQ
Zolar X

PUNK
AS
FUCK
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by the_wassel

I wasn't picking on you and I didn't have a negative tone. Not just then, anyway. I'm just saying I don't know of many MCR-influenced bands that consider themselves punk bands.

Here's why I have picked on you since you started posting here:

1) First and foremost, it's what I do. I think any regular can attest to that.
2) You have a Green Day avatar. Sorry, but most people with Green Day avatars are idiots. Same thing with Metallica avatars. I don't have a problem with Green Day, (in fact they were among my favorite bands for a long time) but that's just the way it is.
3) You often disregard capitalization and punctuation. That kind of makes you look dumb. However it's clear that you're fully capable of writing with correct grammar and you just choose not to. I guess that's OK, but it's not that hard to use the shift button every now and then. As petty as it may seem, doing so will make you look smarter.
4) You posted something about a "revival period" in the off-topic thread. That was kind of a silly notion, so I mocked you for it.
5) You didn't seem to understand that I was mocking you, so I continued.
6) I made fun of your age to piss you off. Success.
7) You fell right into BR0KEN and Rizzo's trolltraps, thus you still seemed like an easy target.
8) You name-checked a bunch of bands to prove how punk you are. That's pretty lame.
9) You're so defensive. I'm just a loser making fun of you on the internet. Don't let it get to you.
10) You made a bunch of "THE MODS CLOSED MY TERRIBLE THREADS THEM NAZIS" threads. That's the lowest form of spamming.
11) I only briefly skimmed your articles, but they come off as really lame. They're written OK (actually really well for someone your age) but the story is a cliche and it doesn't seem like the setting is anything that a middle-class suburban (I'm making assumptions) fourteen-year-old would know about. Just seems pretentious to me. But I'm no literary critic.

That list is longer than I expected when I started it.

There's a certain phase many (I dare say most) music enthusiasts go through during which they feel the need to prove how knowledgeable they are. Sometimes they bash genres they don't like. Sometimes they bash bands they feel lack artistic integrity. Sometimes they whine about poseurs. Sometimes they do what I mentioned in point number 8. Sometimes they read about some music-related phenomenon (proto-punk, for example) on Wikipedia and start an oversimplified discussion about it (hint). Eventually most of us realize how silly all that stuff is.

It may seem like I'm attacking you, but I'm not. I'm just playfully teasing you. Like a little kitten, soft and fluffy. Sometimes I wish I was a tiny person so I could ride on your back. You would screech and holler and say "meow get off my back" but I would be holding on to your triangular ears. Then I would get off of you and pour you some milk. My family would say "You're spoiling that cat! He gets more milk than any cat in town!" and I would say "He deserves it! I just surfed on his back for 45 minutes!" (That's point number 9.)

I got on the computer to work on a research paper and ended up doing this. I hope you're happy.
JHC_DOH
Duz it fer da lulz
256 IQ
Quote by axeslash

Moving on.

Arguing in either direction about anything concerning the history of punk or punk-ness is extremely gay.

... And I am extremely gay for saying that.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
I agree. I feel like a douche whenever I talk about punx history. Which is why I spell it p-u-n-x sometimes; so I'm simultaneously talking about it and making fun of it.
Last edited by werty22 at Feb 16, 2010,
JHC_DOH
Duz it fer da lulz
256 IQ
Quote by werty22
I agree.

huh?

Quote by neidnarb11890
Punks are gay.

Fixed
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
Last edited by JHC_DOH at Feb 16, 2010,
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by neidnarb11890
Punk is gay.

Hear, hear!
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by Lots O' FX
Zolar X

PUNK
AS
FUCK

Oh man. How have I not heard of this band? This is awesome.
punkrockdoc
69 IQ
David Bowie
Quote by stinger12345
Because the Bay Area is the ****.

Quote by RockGuitar92
I'd be like "wtf, bro?" Then I'd promptly ice the bitch.
the_wassel
629 IQ
Quote by I_Pwn
This is a forum dude, it's meant for people to discuss issues. Werty didn't even say anything rude to you, he just offered his input to the conversation at hand. I second the comment that you're a whiny bitch.

yes, yes i am, infact.
LonelyStarts
I'm a mess
574 IQ
Good Charlotte, Blink 182, Descendents, The Cramps, The Vibrators, Generation X, Stiff Little Fingers

Snoop Dogg, Slime Kings, DSNF, DMX = P0nx..
That's Just How The $treet Rolls Son.
the_wassel
629 IQ
Quote by werty22
I wasn't picking on you and I didn't have a negative tone. Not just then, anyway. I'm just saying I don't know of many MCR-influenced bands that consider themselves punk bands.

Here's why I have picked on you since you started posting here:

1) First and foremost, it's what I do. I think any regular can attest to that.
2) You have a Green Day avatar. Sorry, but most people with Green Day avatars are idiots. Same thing with Metallica avatars. I don't have a problem with Green Day, (in fact they were among my favorite bands for a long time) but that's just the way it is.
3) You often disregard capitalization and punctuation. That kind of makes you look dumb. However it's clear that you're fully capable of writing with correct grammar and you just choose not to. I guess that's OK, but it's not that hard to use the shift button every now and then. As petty as it may seem, doing so will make you look smarter.
4) You posted something about a "revival period" in the off-topic thread. That was kind of a silly notion, so I mocked you for it.
5) You didn't seem to understand that I was mocking you, so I continued.
6) I made fun of your age to piss you off. Success.
7) You fell right into BR0KEN and Rizzo's trolltraps, thus you still seemed like an easy target.
8) You name-checked a bunch of bands to prove how punk you are. That's pretty lame.
9) You're so defensive. I'm just a loser making fun of you on the internet. Don't let it get to you.
10) You made a bunch of "THE MODS CLOSED MY TERRIBLE THREADS THEM NAZIS" threads. That's the lowest form of spamming.
11) I only briefly skimmed your articles, but they come off as really lame. They're written OK (actually really well for someone your age) but the story is a cliche and it doesn't seem like the setting is anything that a middle-class suburban (I'm making assumptions) fourteen-year-old would know about. Just seems pretentious to me. But I'm no literary critic.

That list is longer than I expected when I started it.

There's a certain phase many (I dare say most) music enthusiasts go through during which they feel the need to prove how knowledgeable they are. Sometimes they bash genres they don't like. Sometimes they bash bands they feel lack artistic integrity. Sometimes they whine about poseurs. Sometimes they do what I mentioned in point number 8. Sometimes they read about some music-related phenomenon (proto-punk, for example) on Wikipedia and start an oversimplified discussion about it (hint). Eventually most of us realize how silly all that stuff is.

It may seem like I'm attacking you, but I'm not. I'm just playfully teasing you. Like a little kitten, soft and fluffy. Sometimes I wish I was a tiny person so I could ride on your back. You would screech and holler and say "meow get off my back" but I would be holding on to your triangular ears. Then I would get off of you and pour you some milk. My family would say "You're spoiling that cat! He gets more milk than any cat in town!" and I would say "He deserves it! I just surfed on his back for 45 minutes!" (That's point number 9.)

I got on the computer to work on a research paper and ended up doing this. I hope you're happy.

I guess you're right with all those points. Except for number eight. And I was only have reading those posts. But, forum wars are pointless.
askingforit176
UG's "Goth-Punk"
479 IQ
Me and Werty bump heads quite often but I'm backing him up here, he wasn't talking shit to you or cyberstalking. He was merely pointing out your errors/ stating his opinion (isn't that what a forum is?). He does it all the time, its what he does. Then you come along, and start talking and bitching cuz you don't agree with his opinion. In this forum that's a no no, you'll get eaten alive( as you may have figured that out).
Now back to the discussion I'm shocked The Who hasn't been mentioned yet.
Quote by nashawa
You're my idol, so I must destroy you
askingforit176
UG's "Goth-Punk"
479 IQ
Deffently missed the first post on this page....fail
Quote by nashawa
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by askingforit176
Me and Werty bump heads quite often but I'm backing him up here, he wasn't talking shit to you or cyberstalking. He was merely pointing out your errors/ stating his opinion (isn't that what a forum is?). He does it all the time, its what he does. Then you come along, and start talking and bitching cuz you don't agree with his opinion. In this forum that's a no no, you'll get eaten alive( as you may have figured that out).
Now back to the discussion I'm shocked The Who hasn't been mentioned yet.

Really? The only time I know of when we've "bumped heads" was yesterday.
askingforit176
UG's "Goth-Punk"
479 IQ
Welp there have been a few other times nothing ever anything major, most of the time, like I mentioned in my post, pointing out my own ignorance lol or my terrible spelling :p
Quote by nashawa