Page 1 of 2
Now here's a unique little band. Argus are a fairly new band with only one demo and one full length album on their repertoire. These guys play traditional doom with a twist. There's an extreme focus on dual guitar melodies and powerful vocals. While loosely sticking to the doom metal mold, these guys just ooze a NWOBHM vibe from their music. Pretty much if The Lord Weird Slough Feg decided to constantly write doom metal, they would make music nearly identical to Argus.

The S/T is great, but with most bands there's clear room for improvement. The guitar tone isn't as full as it should be for this kind of music and some of the riffs are lacking the power that the vocals posses. With this said, I still feel that this band is one of the absolute best to come out of recent years. Definitely worth a listen.

Hell, these guys are signed onto Shadow Kingdom records! That's a 100% guarantee for quality!

Myspace

Metal-Archives page
I lik the views count, compared to the posts.

Smooth metal forum, real smooth.

As for the band, their first song had that Orion feel, which was stellar. Haven't begun listening beyond that, but i'm gonna go ahead and give this band a seal of approval.

I really can't find much to critique on so far, pretty damn good. Vocals are their weakest point, not a fan of the wailing unless there's something unique going on..I keep expecting some really high pitched screams, just blaring through the riffs. His range is ok though.

I'll give these guys more of a listen.
Yeah, Argos do sell a lot of good stuff at reasonable prices.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Excellent stuff, great find (again), Powerslave!
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
I like the jewellery personally.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
*reminder to listen when I get home from school*
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

Quote by eazy-c
I like the jewellery personally.

So I bought this necklace for the Mrs last christmas. Upon perusing an Argos catalogue, it turned out that it was, in fact, an Argos necklace, but I bought it for considerably more than the list price. If I find that fucking ebay cunt I will rip his sodding throat out.

How much more exactly?
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Honestly, this forum is pretty chill. If you're going to spam though, do it in the idiotic threads or the ****ing thread we have dedicated to off-topic discussion. Is there a need to bog down the serious threads that try to expose bands or promote real discussion?
Twenty fucking quid. Wanker.

WEBBDIT: ^If I were still in school I'd go 'Ooooohhh!!!' in a really high-pitched voice.
yes, argus are pretty cool. Their album was one of the best from last year.

If anyones interested, their demo is available as a free download from againstnature.
Last edited by BlackSymphony6 at Feb 17, 2010,
Quote by \Powerslave/
Honestly, this forum is pretty chill. If you're going to spam though, do it in the idiotic threads or the ****ing thread we have dedicated to off-topic discussion. Is there a need to bog down the serious threads that try to expose bands or promote real discussion?

Sorry

They do sound pretty good, nice mix of modern Baroness-esque sludge and classic doom.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Their vocalist looks like he's about to give me a high quality bear hug.

Anyways, from what I've heard so far, intro reminded me of Man of Two Visions, but quickly changed into a direction more reminiscent of some of the more straight forward Heavy/Doom.

Will look into them.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I think the Valkyrie comparison is quite accurate. Man of Two Visions is better than their debut, but stylistically they share much.
I will never get enough Man of Two Visions.

So much charm in one CD.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
This is the same.

Only with worse guitar tone and more emphasis on the doom rather than the heavy.
You set my expectations high with such a comparison
We shall see
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
They sound pretty good musically, not too keen on the vocalist, theres nothing wrong with him but he's definitley the bands weak spot.

Most likely going to pick the album up when i get paid.
I'll check this out later Powerslave, you always have good stuff to listen to, but I have to read for my classes in an hour, so no new music to distract me. I'm intrigued though.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Great band, I can't believe how few people know of Argus. Their debut was an 8.5 for me easily. Had the pleasure of seeing and meeting these guys live maaaany times as well. Highly looking forward to their next album.

On a side note, Valkyrie Man of Two Visions 4 lyfe.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
There is room for improvement.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Except Doomsword ^>^

..jay kay
Good stuff, I agree with whoever said the vocals are the weak point though. Other than that, I quite like it.
What the hell? I think the vocals are excellent.
Quote by severed-metal
It doesn't mean they're bad, penis.

Just not as good as the rest of the music.

Exactly, they're solid but I don't think they really do anything to greatly improve the music or hinder it.
Last edited by Shabadoo at Feb 26, 2010,
Fair enough, fair enough.
Quote by Penisaur
What the hell? I think the vocals are excellent.

I was going to say the same exact thing but I didnt want to come across as a dick.

but yeah I agree. I love the vocals just as much as the rest...
By the way, they played a new song off of their upcoming album when I saw them a couple months back. Sounded delectable ~(8(l)

Edit: ^ Wtf, get out of here smiling face above my post..
Butch is an awesome vocalist, both in Argus and when he was in Penance.
I still need to get this bands full length, stuck with just the EP/demo at the moment....
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
Just listened to the S/T in its entirety again and decided that this is actually a GREAT album and that I can tell it's one of those relatively rare albums that I know I will still be listening to many years down the road. The vocals are great, the riffs are quality, the guitar leads are many and exceptional, there's not one weak song throughout the duration of the album, and I love the Lovecraftian lyrical themes and atmosphere. 9/10
New album is the tits. As in, Ludivine Sagnier's tits. Perkiest metal album I've heard since 'Conqueror'.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Oh hell yes, Boldly Stride the Doomed will most certainly end up on my top 5 or 10 albums of the year list. Such an underrated band still.
I will never go back, never retreat! Il be damned if 'Durendal' isnt kicking my arse 3 times a day at this stage...
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Page 1 of 2