Page 1 of 2
LonelyStarts
I'm a mess
574 IQ
Okay, I come to you guys because I hate the Pit.

Is drop D tuning cheating?

And do you think it could work for punXka?
In the sence that punk has a "could work" in it.
Do you think it does to a certain extent..
Tell me about it.
That's Just How The $treet Rolls Son.
LonelyStarts
I'm a mess
574 IQ
Drop D tuning? Mike? You know this don't you?
Tatersalad1080
Just call me Dragon
778 IQ
thats honestly the dumbest thing ive heard.
How the hell can that be cheating? its a method to create new tones and sounds, so no it isnt cheating.
And it can work in punk if you want it to. there arent any rules, just guidelines.

Sorry to sound like a prick but its true. Music is what you want it to be, no one can tell you what you have to do.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
LonelyStarts
I'm a mess
574 IQ
Quote by Tatersalad1080
How the hell can that be cheating? its a method to create new tones and sounds, so no it isnt cheating.
And it can work in punk if you want it to. there arent any rules, just guidelines.

Sorry to sound like a prick but its true. Music is what you want it to be, no one can tell you what you have to do.

You're biitching at me about the exact same thing I'm talking about and asking?

So Quiet..
benx3000
Wow, I can get sexual too
804 IQ
Quote by Tatersalad1080

This.
Quote by turd_ferguson
[0:17] If my parents knew I was part of a group who celebrated christmas by drinking cough syrup they would probably cry

WEATHERER, the greatest band ever.
lookpizza
Party Hard
1,566 IQ
Quote by LonelyStarts
Drop D tuning? Mike? You know this don't you?

Yes I know what drop d tuning is. I'm just confused as to why it would be "cheating" or what you mean by "In the sence that punk has a "could work" in it."
I'm an asshole.
Petar
148 IQ
Drop D cheating? No it ain't. Although personally I don't use it, it would make me change my finger patterns for power chords and I'm too lazy to do that. Oh and changing tunings is pain in the ass with Floyd Roses.

Although, if you DO use drop D, try to play it with a guitar slide and tell me how it went. It's the first thing I would do.

I'm gonna look for my old Squire now, restring it and tune to drop D, then play slide with it. Yes, it's gonna be a long night.

Also, WTF is a punXka? A person? Band? Genre?

nvm, it's not important.
Marshall MG15DFX
Line 6 Spider III
Squier Strat Standard
Ibanez RG350EX
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Signature Wah
LonelyStarts
I'm a mess
574 IQ
Mike, you should be the one that understands me here and you don't that's bad.

Bunk.
benonbass1
1,717 IQ
Quote by LonelyStarts

So Quiet..

He answered your question didn't he?

No wonder you hate the Pit.
Tatersalad1080
Just call me Dragon
778 IQ
Quote by LonelyStarts

So Quiet..

Im "bitching" at you for asking a dumb question. I answered your question and apologized for sounding rude. So dont tell me to be quiet after i answer your stupid question.

So settle down tough guy.
Quote by Diet_coke_head

Gear:
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
lookpizza
Party Hard
1,566 IQ
Also where the **** did all these people come from? I've never seen them posting in the punk forum and then suddenly like 10 of them in 5 minutes?
I'm an asshole.
lookpizza
Party Hard
1,566 IQ
Quote by LonelyStarts
Mike, you should be the one that understands me here and you don't that's bad.

Bunk.

I caught a bear once. Well actually it was more of a mini bear. Or really a rabbit. Some people would call it a hare. So yeah it was a mini bear.

BITCH THAT KID ON THE COUCH ALREADY HAS ONE OF THOSE THINGS.
I'm an asshole.
Grohlism
Paranoid Android
498 IQ
Quote by lookpizza
Also where the **** did all these people come from? I've never seen them posting in the punk forum and then suddenly like 10 of them in 5 minutes?

I actually never even realised it was the Punk forum, I just saw "Cheating? Or Good?" And checked it out. Why is this in the Punk forum? Shouldn't it be in Guitar Techniques or something? Also, why do you hate The Pit?
LonelyStarts
I'm a mess
574 IQ
I know right.. Mike.

Tatersalad1080..
Relax.. This is exactly why I hate the Pit.. And I was joking but you didn't seem to know that? Do you think I'm a serious MAN? Hahah.

I put MAN in caps.. Because I'm tough.
LonelyStarts
I'm a mess
574 IQ
Quote by lookpizza
I caught a bear once. Well actually it was more of a mini bear. Or really a rabbit. Some people would call it a hare. So yeah it was a mini bear.

BITCH THAT KID ON THE COUCH ALREADY HAS ONE OF THOSE THINGS.

Lawls.. Oh man. I don't know why I say the shit I say but it blows my mind.
Tatersalad1080
Just call me Dragon
778 IQ
lol i dont lurk specific forums. I just post wherever i have something to say, or any advice to give and shit like that. I saw this on the front page so i posted my two cents
Quote by Diet_coke_head

Gear:
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
LonelyStarts
I'm a mess
574 IQ
The Pit have a bunch of whinning bitches.. My threads always get closed.. They last long here because The Punk Forum is laid back and full of kick ass people..
LonelyStarts
I'm a mess
574 IQ
And the reason why I would think it's cheating is because it's to easy to play.. And most bands like System Of The Down use it.. Not saying their bad just saying it's lame.
neidnarb11890
gentle collapsing
270 IQ
Personally, I hate drop D because I usually finger barre chords even when I'm only playing power chords, because the chances of me accidentally hitting a fourth string are pretty high, and obviously I can't play barre chords in drop D. I'd rather just tune down to D standard.
SKAtastic7770
828 IQ
Quote by neidnarb11890
Personally, I hate drop D because I usually finger barre chords even when I'm only playing power chords, because the chances of me accidentally hitting a fourth string are pretty high, and obviously I can't play barre chords in drop D. I'd rather just tune down to D standard.

Me too^ I also use alot of open chords so I dont like it, but its fine for punk and not exactly cheating, but some people can hardl;y play any faster power chord riffs in standard, and thats not okay.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
yes its cheating because its easier and punk is about making things harder to play
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Tru punx only use Lou Reed's "ostrich" tuning.
VirtualBramm
Bronson Hardcore
32 IQ
I play C#G#C#F#A#D# or DADGBE..
so yes a drop d...

too easy to play, that's just crap....
Say you play a powerchord...

D|-5
A|-5
D|-5

or

D|-5
A|-5
E|-3

Isnt it both easy :')?
Drop D creates new tones for me while using both lowest snares and the powerchords I do use are mostly on A snare anyway, so no cheating.
''We still struggle with the fact that one percent has ninety-nine on their knees.''
neidnarb11890
gentle collapsing
270 IQ
Quote by werty22
Tru punx only use Lou Reed's "ostrich" tuning.

*-)
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
I certainly don't consider using any tuning to be cheating.

That said, I wouldn't consider Drop D tuning to be tonally appropriate to the genre, unless it's hella-gay d-beat sh*t.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
I think open E tuning is pretty punx. It's great for the "I can't play" aesthetic.
lookpizza
Party Hard
1,566 IQ
Quote by TYLENOL.PM
wat

HEY stops copies me
I'm an asshole.
Grohlism
Paranoid Android
498 IQ
Quote by werty22
only emo fag but****ers use drop d

So, because someone tunes their guitar differently makes them (whatever your insult was meant to be). Makes no sense. Sensible and user-friendly comments please or you'll start feeding the troll.:@
Grohlism
Paranoid Android
498 IQ
Quote by LonelyStarts
And the reason why I would think it's cheating is because it's to easy to play.. And most bands like System Of The Down use it.. Not saying their bad just saying it's lame.

Dropped D isn't cheating. You can't cheat in music unless you use a backing track or something. Just because someone tunes their E string a tone down doesn't mean they've cheated. This thread has certainly revealed some stupid ideas about "cheating".
askingforit176
UG's "Goth-Punk"
479 IQ
I play in E flat(D#). But I don't think drop D is cheating but if I personally would go the d standard route.
Quote by nashawa
You're my idol, so I must destroy you
TYLENOL.PM
Banned
11 IQ
I think I lost any UG Cred I ever had thanx to having let these nubs in on this forum. FUUUUU
LonelyStarts
I'm a mess
574 IQ
I'm not saying it's cheating. Shit, I'm saying it's just to easy to play. Asses.