I have an epiphone SG special and I'm thinking about putting some work into it. Any suggestions? I play mostly classic and hard rock. Also, if you could help me out by doing the math and telling me how much it would cost, that'd be great. Thanks guys.
It would probably be a better idea to start saving up for a new guitar. But you would need new pups + wiring and that = like $200 or so and then a new nut would be good.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
We could suggest many things, but we need you to help us a bit. Are you talking about aesthetic modifications, or sound? Anything in particular you are leaning towards? I'm guessing you're after sound as you state genres. New pickups are always an option. Could also do a coil split to get more tones. That's the more expensive type of upgrades though. There's many different ways to wire pickups (for example, the "Jimmy Page mods).
Unless you're really in love with your Special, it's not worth it. Just new pickups and tuners for a Special would cost you 99% as much as just buying a new Epi G-400 would, and the G-400 is made of better wood, has betetr hardware and is all-round constructed better.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Unless you're really in love with your Special, it's not worth it. Just new pickups and tuners for a Special would cost you 99% as much as just buying a new Epi G-400 would, and the G-400 is made of better wood, has betetr hardware and is all-round constructed better.

+infinite.

Nuff said.
hmm... well i wanted to get a gibson SG standard, but dammit gibson is crazy with those prices. Yes, im looking for a sound change, not really the looks of it. Also, how much could i get an epiphone SG standard for? How much to make it sound like a gibson?
the epiphone vintage g-400 is $300. Its less than the standard because it has no clear finish. I think it looks sharp though.
Quote by chato3ltc
hmm... well i wanted to get a gibson SG standard, but dammit gibson is crazy with those prices. Yes, im looking for a sound change, not really the looks of it. Also, how much could i get an epiphone SG standard for? How much to make it sound like a gibson?

The two pickups in the SG Standard cost about $100 a piece. That would make it sound pretty close.

You could just save up for a Gibson SG Special Faded...
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=517222
Well, money is a little bit tight right now, so what do you guys suggest? Maybe just save up for a gibson SG, or get an epiphone SG? If epiphone, which model, and if gibson, how much would it cost?
The Gibson SG Faded would blow an Epi G-400 out of the water in build quality, sound and quality in general.

You can find used ones around $400...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
The Gibson SG Faded would blow an Epi G-400 out of the water in build quality, sound and quality in general.

You can find used ones around $400...

Yup, I did a quick search on my Craigslist and found one for $400

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/1590873415.html

I'm sure they sell around the same price where you live if it's in the states TS
I think just save up and get what you prefer. When you get to about $700 and up things open up to you much more. If you want to get an Epiphone SG, Then look here:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-CustomEX-with-EMG-8185-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515622

OR:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EGG5AIGH

If you want a Gibson then go to the link above you.
Equipment

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Vox Night Train + Avatar 212
Looking for pedals!
I've got two Jackson DX10D Dinky's with some GFS Crunchy Rails pickups and Temol-No trem locks on both of them.

For an amp I use Guitar Rig which was free. My guitars run into an ART Tube MP amp with an upgraded tube and into an M-Audio 2496 sound card and out some Fostex PM1 MKII 120 watt studio monitors.

Unless I join a band or something, I'll probably stick with this setup forever. It sounds great, is loud when it needs to be, and does everything I want it to do. Don't get me wrong, if I could afford it I'd probably throw down on a Mesa half-stack, but I'm broke as hell so I'll stick with what I got.

Peace.
Last edited by Rick540 at Feb 19, 2010,
assuming your keeping the guitar and never planing on selling it then an upgrade is an upgrade. i wouldent reccomend just buying the g400 why "upgrade" just one model up at a time if the gibson is your goal? if you did this every time you would spend over few thousand dollars on 3-4 guitars when for 1400-1700 you can get the one you really want.
i say spend 200 on the pickups pocket the other 200 that would have gone to the other guitar and put it twords your gibson but only do this if your truely happy with the guitar you have.

or you can just suck it up and pocket the whole 400 bucks up to you. if you really feel like you need new pickups because you gig alot and think your tone sucks and need a better sound or just a peice of new gear as a confidence booster then the pickups are probably the best investment you can make guitar gear wise.

i would reccomend seymore duncan alnico 2 pro pickups they sound amazing for the hard rock sound but can still play clasic rock and get a bonified classic sound
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by chato3ltc
I have an epiphone SG special and I'm thinking about putting some work into it. Any suggestions? I play mostly classic and hard rock. Also, if you could help me out by doing the math and telling me how much it would cost, that'd be great. Thanks guys.
I don't know what amp you have; however, that's where I'd start saving if you want to change your sound. Some of the posters have recommended guitar and/or PU upgrades. Those would probably not help much if your amp is a weak link.

If you have access to lots of tools so you can do all the work yourself it would be a good idea to get a new guitar. I don't have anything against cheap guitars, I like to mod them myself. But replacing the electronics alone could cost you what you paid for the guitar or more, Depending on what electronics you choose.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.