Been looking for a new combo amp, mainly for playing at home. Like to play anything from Slayer to pink floyed. I had the chance to try out Peavey 6505 212 the other day, and seemed to fit what I'm after. Looking at ordering, and see theres also the 112, only 1 speaker vs 2 for 212. Otherwise, the amplifiers seem to have the same specs. for at home playing, the 112 seems like it would be enough, but want that 212 sound i heard the other day.

The 212 costs almost double, is there something besides the extra speaker that makes the 212 much more expensive? And has anyone played the two before?
The 212 is the 6505, the 112 is the 6505+. The + has an extra preamp tube and doesn't sound as 'raw' as the 6505, and is said to have a somewhat better clean/rhythm channel.

The 212 is made in America, the 112 is made in China.

A 212 has better bass response than a 112 and spreads sound better.

Double the wattage and extra speaker = slightly louder and more headroom.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The 212 is the 6505, the 112 is the 6505+. The + has an extra preamp tube and doesn't sound as 'raw' as the 6505, and is said to have a somewhat better clean/rhythm channel.

The 212 is made in America, the 112 is made in China.

A 212 has better bass response than a 112 and spreads sound better.

Double the wattage and extra speaker = slightly louder and more headroom.

they are both the same wattage, but the + has an extra tube meaning it has more headroom than the standard (hence the better clean channel).

prices are about the same used cause the 6505 has the extra speaker and is american made (better parts, which explains the much higher new price), but the + has more features and is generally kept in higher regards cause of the clean channel, but is made in china (cheaper parts and labor, and hasnt been around long enough to gauge reliability).

glad ur enjoying my 6505 xezus
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
they are both the same wattage, but the + has an extra tube meaning it has more headroom than the standard (hence the better clean channel).

Isn't the 6505+ 112 60 watts and the 6505 120 watts?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Isn't the 6505+ 112 60 watts and the 6505 120 watts?

It is. But well explained above
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking the amp was 120w vs. 60, but the site I was at listed 60w for both, so I'm glad I asked. I definitely don't mind shelling out extra for better stuff, just as long as its worth it. Think I'll go with the 212 then. Won't have to worry if I'll like the 6505+
just be careful . the 212 will be 80+ lb's. My jsx 212 was 96lbs and was a hassle to move around.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Yeah, that would be a chore loading that one in the car every day. I plan on leaving it at home most of time, so shouldnt be much of a problem.
Thanks for the quick thoughts on this guys!
How come nobody has mentioned that getting a 6505 to play Pink Floyd is about the dumbest thing you can do? I once saw a guy demoing a vintage Telecaster through a 6505 combo in the store playing clean blues licks. He later bought the amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
OK

112 = 60ish pounds 5150 II AKA 6505+ edition. DOES NOT HAVE AN EXTRA PREAMP TUBE PEOPLE (that's the head). DOES NOT HAVE BRIGHT SWITCH (that's the head), DOES NOT HAVE FOOTSWITCHABLE EFFECTS (that's the head), does have footswitchable crunch and a great sound at a good price.

212 = 90+ lbs regular 5150 aka 6505. extra speaker. DOES NOT HAVE FOOTSWITCHABLE CRUNCH. Shares the eq on the lead/rhythm channel so the cleans tend to sound like shit. More expensive. Has that classic 5150/6505 sound (more raw and ballsy).

Stock speakers on both are the same (kinda bright and 80's sounding to me...not as bad as everyone makes them out to be).

BOTH OF THESE ARE 60 WATTS. (2 power amp tubes, 5 pre amp tubes)

Hope that clears everything up.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7421 (MIJ) Dimarzio SD-7/AN-7
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
Ibanez S320 (Tone Zone/PAF Pro)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)
Seagull C-6 Concert Acoustic
Godin MultiAc Nylon Encore

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100