Page 2 of 2
Hmm...
Would it be best to get a Bugera V55 Head and purchase a cab? Or get the combo.
Also any particular Laney models?

I looked up Bugera, they get alot of shit for apparently exploding and being rip-offs. I don't care that they are rip-offs, but I don't want the **** to explode.
Quote by littlephil
You know, they make amps these days with special little knobs marked "Volume" They're amazing things, they let you turn the amp down so you can use it at really low volumes.

If you know anything about tube amps, you know that the tubes need to be pushed to sound their best. Running a 100W Marshall at bedroom volumes usualy results in a fizzy mess. But you knew that, right?
Quote by steve108819
If you know anything about tube amps, you know that the tubes need to be pushed to sound their best. Running a 100W Marshall at bedroom volumes usualy results in a fizzy mess. But you knew that, right?

To sound their best yes.

But they usually still sound good, just not as pushed over the edge.

EDIT: Bugera's exploding? Must've been the first year's line
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Sami Philadelph

Home or Gig? Both, but as it's been said, I can turn down the volume, so pfft.

I actually don't care about tone too much

If you don't care about tone than disregard everything that anybody here has posted. Just get the cheapest piece of crap SS amp you can find. As numerous posts above have told you, any large venue will be mic'd, any small venue will not require much wattage. And yes, you can turn down the volume on a high watt tube amp for bedroom use, but it will sound like crap. LISTEN to the people who own them, or don't ask the question if you don't want the answer.
Quote by steve108819
If you don't care about tone than disregard everything that anybody here has posted. Just get the cheapest piece of crap SS amp you can find. As numerous posts above have told you, any large venue will be mic'd, any small venue will not require much wattage. And yes, you can turn down the volume on a high watt tube amp for bedroom use, but it will sound like crap. LISTEN to the people who own them, or don't ask the question if you don't want the answer.

I don't give a shit about tone, no.
But for some odd reason you people refuse to listen to and constantly criticize anything that doesn't sound like it costs $2500, so I'm trying to compromise. So, obviously if I don't care much about tone, I can turn the tube amp down to practice, but, still use it for its tonal qualities cranked up during a performance.
In my opinion, if you could strectch your budget a varying amount more, i'd look at:

Peavey 6505+ 112 combo (metal only, basically)
Laney VC30 (Packs quite a punch for 30watts)
Line 6 Flextone/Vetta (Buy used, great and versatile SS amps)
Bugera 6262/6260/V55 (cheaper amps but just as good)

If you can, i highly recommend try before you buy. My opinion of good sounds amps can be different to yours.

And if you buy a cab, make sure it ain't some shitty peavey cab. Buy something LIKE a Vadar, Avatar etc with Celestions etc in it... sorry that's a bit vague.

Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Quote by steve108819

Yes, I did, but TS has said a few times that he plays metal. You dont need to turn amps up to sound best if you're playing metal, because power tube saturation isnt usually desirable for a good metal tone. And if you know anything about tube amps, you know that you dont have to crank the volume to get a good tone. I run my 100w Marshall at bedroom volumes and it sounds completely fine.
Page 2 of 2