Cachao
Not a bassist
997 IQ
Ok, this may crash and burn but I thought it would be quite interesting to see how close people can get, to making their guitar or bass sound like a trumpet, or maybe saxophone, trombone or any other brass. Or maybe just any other instrument - apart from bass or vice versa, we know that's easy

So, can anyone conjure anything up? Please let us know how you did it and try and record an example
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
Last edited by Cachao at Feb 28, 2010,
pwrmax
Registered ... something
2,414 IQ
Pluck the strings really hard near the bridge. This works more effectively with 3 or 4 notes at once.

You can get a harp by playing high notes but plucking as close to the halfway point to the bridge as possible and letting the notes ring out.

Do the same thing for low notes to get clarinet sounds.
Last edited by pwrmax at Feb 27, 2010,
matt_0_5
339 IQ
You can get a strings-ish sound fading in with a volume pedal. That's pretty cool.
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
1,621 IQ
Play with a bigger amount of reverb, maybe some delay and do volume swells on low notes on your guitar.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
pwrmax
Registered ... something
2,414 IQ
Quote by sxymnky777
Midi pickup

Icwutudidther
SLonergan
UG's Everlasting Noob
1,070 IQ
Quote by sxymnky777
Midi pickup

Victory!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
1,233 IQ
just to be a dick, the Saxophone though made out of brass, is still considered a reed instrument.
Demonikk
Falcooon... PUNCH!!
1,040 IQ
Fuzz, no treble, tone down, wah+volume pedal
ohai little sig.
Zhuriel
UG's Tube Hater
20 IQ
I think Fuzz pedals were originally meant to do something like that. Not sure what they were supposed to imitate though.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
SLonergan
UG's Everlasting Noob
1,070 IQ
Quote by Zhuriel
I think Fuzz pedals were originally meant to do something like that. Not sure what they were supposed to imitate though.

Probably a Fuzzy Amp...
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
rocknroll93
Warning: Small Parts
501 IQ
Quote by Alex Vik
Roland MIDI pickup + Roland GR-20

I want one of these.

I saw one oce. it was pretty awesome.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
[[BurnTheDusk]]
Call me Ryan.
2,708 IQ
Fuzz was made to imitate the sound of a torn speaker being driven by a tube amplifier.
Anyway, you want a Midi system of sorts.

Look into the GR33 and GR20 by roland, very innovative technology.
I'm very fond to the use of them myself as I am quite a big King Crimson fan.
rockfreak611
1,031 IQ
[quote="'[[BurnTheDusk"]]']Fuzz was made to imitate the sound of a torn speaker being driven by a tube amplifier.
Anyway, you want a Midi system of sorts.

yeah but listen to the fuzz tone on "Walking on the Sun" by Smash Mouth or "Spirit in the Sky" . Those tones sound nearly identical to a horned instrument. So all you really need is a good fuzz pedal.

oh yeah and that roland pickup is over 700 USD . a good fuzz pedal is around 150 . huge difference in price
Last edited by rockfreak611 at Feb 27, 2010,
[[BurnTheDusk]]
Call me Ryan.
2,708 IQ
I beg to differ.

If you read the entire post he states that he wants more than just horned instruments.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Feb 27, 2010,
Cachao
Not a bassist
997 IQ
Ah cool, any chance anyone could record themselves making these sorts of sounds? Apart from midi that is
Quote by SLonergan

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
Aidy Damage
Somewhat Damaged
3,785 IQ
The guitarist in my old band managed to do this on a song and I forget how he did it...
Cachao
Not a bassist
997 IQ
dang...
Quote by SLonergan

Melodic_Rocker
Registered Loser
699 IQ
e-bow, roll back the tone knob, and palm mute.... Although, I suppose it sounds more like a clarinet or flute, depending on how high or low you're playing.
Cachao
Not a bassist
997 IQ
ahh, cool - anyone got any examples?
Quote by SLonergan

Last edited by Cachao at Feb 28, 2010,
Sampy
196 IQ
Brian May made and entire dixieland band using just guitar for Good Company.

Starts at 2:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8oVTyAYrnE

And you can hear that on its own at 2:40 here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POsOP3TF-XY

Not possible in a live situation of course, but I thought it might interest some people.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
ibz_bucket
Land
628 IQ
Midi pickup I guess. But my friend, who is a trumpet player, got this mute that completely blocks out sound but has a headphone out for silent practice. Instead of plugging headphones in, he plugged it into a guitar amp and used all sorts of effects with it. He has a POG, so he was playing trumpet an octave up, and all sorts of cool stuff.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Aidy Damage
Somewhat Damaged
3,785 IQ
If you can find it anywhere, 'A Fine Impression Of Dying Ants' by This Is Not A Dead Transmission- the solo at the end. No envelope filter or eBow were used.
Cachao
Not a bassist
997 IQ
That Brian May thing is pretty extraordinary. So, has anyone tried any of this and made a recording? That's what I was mainly interested in, how people on here can emulate the sounds of different instruments - without using midi pickups
Quote by SLonergan

cxrlxscr
572 IQ
I think the Electro-Harmonix Hog is another guitar synthesizer, you can manipulate frequencies to imitate different instruments. Maybe that could work out for you.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Schecter C-1+ with SD '59/Custom 5
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
White Lightning OD
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Cachao
Not a bassist
997 IQ
there seems to be a misunderstanding, I'm not really trying to emulate the sounds myself. I'm just curious as to what people can do
Quote by SLonergan

stratman_13
666lb bongsession
2,002 IQ
Quote by ibz_bucket
Midi pickup I guess. But my friend, who is a trumpet player, got this mute that completely blocks out sound but has a headphone out for silent practice. Instead of plugging headphones in, he plugged it into a guitar amp and used all sorts of effects with it. He has a POG, so he was playing trumpet an octave up, and all sorts of cool stuff.

--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
marvelboy_04
2,304 IQ
pog for organ sounds. analogman peppermint fuzz turned low for sitar sounds
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!