Page 2 of 25
Very nice.

It makes me sad that the guitar I bought came with active EMGs when I don't have a tube amp. I don't have the money to change them though.

At some point I wouldn't mind seeing GFS pickups in here. I'll review them a little once mine come in.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
What are the cheapest 4 conductor pickups I can get? they don't even need to sound that great, and in the US would be best.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Ya, I did that to my Epiphone stock pickups, and it didn't go so well. The series link wire on one of the coils kept breaking shorter and shorter, so now that coil doesn't work, and I couldn't get any USB wire, so I went with plain old wire and it was a pain to get all of them into the control cavity. So they work, but one of them only one coil, and they just don't sound that great.

On the plus side, I found out that GFS pickups are well within my price range and I may go for some Crunchy PAT's

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
Ya, I did that to my Epiphone stock pickups, and it didn't go so well. The series link wire on one of the coils kept breaking shorter and shorter, so now that coil doesn't work.

that's what happened to my neck pup when I did it to do it to my stock pups. when I pulled off the tape it broke the wire wear the winding was started and every time I soldered it onto a wire it ended up breaking until there was finally nothing left. then I did the bridge pup and it went flawlessly since I knew what to watch out for. but of course with the neck one shot it was a good excuse to upgrade to some seymour duncans.
Quote by Funk Monk
how would I go about putting a humbucker "out of phase"?

Like Bobby said, you can find this in the 'Ultimate Guitar Wiring Thread.'
Ask any questions about wiring in there.

Quote by Funk Monk
Are there any guitarist how have used this so I could give it a listen? thanks.

The closest I can think of is a lot of RHCPs older stuff is played with 2 single coil pickups wired out of phase. A humbucker wired out of phase with itself will be even thinner sounding that that.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Something cool I found this morning because I was looking for a friend who might DEFINITELY want this pickup...

The DiMarzio Megadrive, although having been discontinued, can still be found on eBay, sold as new in any selection of colors.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I have active pickups and I got 500K pots. Were they the wrong ones? For some reason I remember hearing that you don't use them with actives.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
With actives, you're supposed to use 25k (not 250, 25). You CAN use 500s, but they won't work the same. There's an Active Pickup Thread on here that explains it a lot better than I could.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
According to that thread, I should be good since I have one volume and no tone. Thank you, I forgot that it was in the Central Hub. That thing has saved me multiple times.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
First of all, nice thread

It was all really good explained but I just want to ask this to make sure :p

I want to buy a Fender standard strat HSS (alder body right?), and mod the humbucker.

What I need: More output and more bottom end (without getting muddy).

So am I right if I say that it's gotta be one of these:

Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader
Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5
Dimarzio D-sonic
Dimarzio Super Distortion
Dimarzio Tone Zone
Dimarzio Dactivator

If you have any further info about these please tell me

Thanks!
Guitars
Fender Classic 60's Jazz Bass
Squier P-Bass
Fender Classic '50s Strat
Parkwood Western
Terada Classic
Amps
Ampeg SVT150H
Ampeg B410HE
Behringer BX600
FX
Boss OS2
Boss DS1
Boss TU3
Digitech RP100A
I would suggest the Dimarzio SD as it's not excessively bright and it's a very versatile pickup.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V (Duncan Quarter Pounds + Hipshot Kickass)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Some people also like the DiMarzio Air Zone. Think Helmet
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
hey all

im looking for a neck pickup for a mahogany guitar mostly for cleans, but for a little lead work. i want something very clear, but more smooth than harsh. best example would be the intro of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhiNj39vYnU

i would like to spend $60-70, new or used. so far my options are a used prs #7, used gibson 490r, duncan jazz, or maybe a gfs.

thanks all
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
That actually sounds more like a piezo than a normal pickup.

Although I can't see how anyone would be dissatisfied with a 490r (got one in my SG and love it) you're not going to get that kind of sound out of it. It does cleans pretty well, but whatever they're using in that video (and in the studio version) is not a neck humbucker.
Quote by handbanana
sounds like out of phase pickups to me. neck+bridge out of phase... but i'm not sure :p you can get a really quacky, telephone sound like that with out of phase pickups.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Shinozoku
Something cool I found this morning because I was looking for a friend who might DEFINITELY want this pickup...

The DiMarzio Megadrive, although having been discontinued, can still be found on eBay, sold as new in any selection of colors.

Yeah, you can still order them from Dimarzio. They only make them to order though, so it costs a little more. I love mine
Quote by ECistheBest
sounds like out of phase pickups to me. neck+bridge out of phase... but i'm not sure :p you can get a really quacky, telephone sound like that with out of phase pickups.

Definitely could be. I just thought it had that really flat, acoustic-y kind of sound like you get from piezos. Hell it could just be a split bridge pup
Quote by handbanana
Quote by wiliscool
Definitely could be. I just thought it had that really flat, acoustic-y kind of sound like you get from piezos. Hell it could just be a split bridge pup

ya but the audio is really bad and pretty processed so it's hard to tell. but you can sound like that with out-of-phase neck/bridge pickups. it's very different when it's series/parallel, out/in phase, which coils to use, etc. too hard to tell, rather easy to mas kit up.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well i almost know for a fact its not a piezo, and his sig pickups dont have enough wires for splitting or parallel.

i also realize i wont get that exact tone, it actually sounds a little flat to me, but i just wanted to point that out as the base of what im looking for.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
I have a highway one stratocaster that I want to put a humbucker in the bridge and a hot rails style neck pickup in to play metal. I intend to down tune to like drop A, and B. Would a full shred or JB be too bright even down tuned? or retain clarity? And would the hot rails neck pickup retain clarity tuned low? I'll be using a lot of gain. I'm open to any suggestions for both pickups, thanks
Quote by Crimson21
I have a highway one stratocaster that I want to put a humbucker in the bridge and a hot rails style neck pickup in to play metal. I intend to down tune to like drop A, and B. Would a full shred or JB be too bright even down tuned? or retain clarity? And would the hot rails neck pickup retain clarity tuned low? I'll be using a lot of gain. I'm open to any suggestions for both pickups, thanks

From what i've heard, the JB should be okay, however a stratocaster is certainly no metal guitar. Alder (or ash or whatever Fender's using these days) is a very bright tone wood, your guitar may sound a bit shrill on higher gain settings.

Perhaps consider some non-X series EMGs if you're dead set on modding your strat for heavier styles.
wondering if an Evolution bridge pup will go well with my Vex. the guitar has a mahogany body and neck, maple top. wanting something with less bass than the rockfield mafias that it has in it now. i dont want to make it non-stock if it wont do much good, which is why i came here instead of just trying it like i normally would.
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
well i almost know for a fact its not a piezo, and his sig pickups dont have enough wires for splitting or parallel.

i also realize i wont get that exact tone, it actually sounds a little flat to me, but i just wanted to point that out as the base of what im looking for.

you never know if he even uses his sig pickups lol... a lot of artists just let fender/gibson use their name and use their vintage '59 les paul...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
you never know if he even uses his sig pickups lol... a lot of artists just let fender/gibson use their name and use their vintage '59 les paul...

yea thats true, but im pretty sure hes done like a gear run down and said he uses them in all of his guitars. all i really know is that his switch is all the way up during cleans (3 way toggle).

but anywho, can anyone help me?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Mar 5, 2010,
I have the Jazz and JB in my Les Paul ripoff. It was a pretty muddy guitar when I got it and they really cleaned it up. I'd post audio, but I just have a webcam mic. I'll try to borrow my school's SM57 sometime. I don't think you can really go wrong with the set, though, they sound good. Most of the sound in that vid probably comes from effects and the amp, so just get pickups you like the sound of really.
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Mar 6, 2010,
Quote by Mike-T93
I have the Jazz and JB in my Les Paul ripoff. It was a pretty muddy guitar when I got it and they really cleaned it up. I'd post audio, but I just have a webcam mic. I'll try to borrow my school's SM57 sometime. I don't think you can really go wrong with the set, though, they sound good. Most of the sound in that vid probably comes from effects and the amp, so just get pickups you like the sound of really.

not really sure who ur talking to, but ill respond anyway lol.

the problem with choosing a pickups is u cant really try them out, only a certain few. i hear nothing but good about the jazz, but same thing for the jb and i really didnt like the jb. way to bright for me, even in a les paul. i def like smoother and darker tones.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by Invader Jim
wondering if an Evolution bridge pup will go well with my Vex. the guitar has a mahogany body and neck, maple top. wanting something with less bass than the rockfield mafias that it has in it now. i dont want to make it non-stock if it wont do much good, which is why i came here instead of just trying it like i normally would.

I'm pretty sure it will sound more than awesome. Pickups like that that are really good at making a super clear bass are really good for mahogany guitars.
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
not really sure who ur talking to, but ill respond anyway lol.

the problem with choosing a pickups is u cant really try them out, only a certain few. i hear nothing but good about the jazz, but same thing for the jb and i really didnt like the jb. way to bright for me, even in a les paul. i def like smoother and darker tones.

Well, you were the one talking about the Jazz, I guess you picked up on it. I don't have personal experience with other SDs, but it seems like you might like the SH11 in the bridge based on what I've heard about it.
Quote by Mike-T93
Well, you were the one talking about the Jazz, I guess you picked up on it. I don't have personal experience with other SDs, but it seems like you might like the SH11 in the bridge based on what I've heard about it.

i dont need a bridge pickup, im loving the evo. and i havent changed my sig, i thought the guitar i was getting had a jazz but they were wrong, which is why im getting a new neck pickup.

but unless any suggestions really hit me, i think im going to go with an air norton. im not sure yet thought so if anyone has anything else to say to me, please do.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
i dont need a bridge pickup, im loving the evo. and i havent changed my sig, i thought the guitar i was getting had a jazz but they were wrong, which is why im getting a new neck pickup.

but unless any suggestions really hit me, i think im going to go with an air norton. im not sure yet thought so if anyone has anything else to say to me, please do.

Oh ok. Idk, only thing I can really tell you then is you'd probably like the Jazz. I have no experience with the Air Norton, though, so good luck
I might be getting a vintage kay vangaurd soon and was wondering what I shdould put in it. It currently is missing all its electronics but is routed for dual humbuckers. I was thinking something really distorted in the bridge for punk/grunge/hard rock and something clean and maybe a little bright in the neck for fingerpicking and ska. I would also love anything that sounds vintage, because this guitar is like 46 years old.

I would like to keep this pretty cheap as well. I'mnot sure how much a good humbucker costs, but lets keep it reasonable please.
Quote by the_perdestrian
I might be getting a vintage kay vangaurd soon and was wondering what I shdould put in it. It currently is missing all its electronics but is routed for dual humbuckers. I was thinking something really distorted in the bridge for punk/grunge/hard rock and something clean and maybe a little bright in the neck for fingerpicking and ska. I would also love anything that sounds vintage, because this guitar is like 46 years old.

I would like to keep this pretty cheap as well. I'mnot sure how much a good humbucker costs, but lets keep it reasonable please.

Rough budget?
Quote by Schism1985
Rough budget?

Im gonna have to save up for them anyway. I don't really have a budget but im looking for like mid-level quality pickups. I don't want to say an actually number because I don't really know what the costs of pickups are. Id be willing to spend up to like $175 If I had to, but I really don't want to spend that much. 100 dollars or less would be best, but I don't know if I can get anything of quality at that price. I might just end up getting some used gibsons or something.
Quote by the_perdestrian
Im gonna have to save up for them anyway. I don't really have a budget but im looking for like mid-level quality pickups. I don't want to say an actually number because I don't really know what the costs of pickups are. Id be willing to spend up to like $175 If I had to, but I really don't want to spend that much. 100 dollars or less would be best, but I don't know if I can get anything of quality at that price. I might just end up getting some used gibsons or something.

Alright, well for a bridge pickup it sounds like you may want to check out something like the Seymour Duncan SH-11 (http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh11_custom_cus/), which is a high output humbucker that'll still have that warm vintage sound you're looking for.

For the neck pickup, perhaps consider the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat (http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/progressive/sph901_phat_cat/), it's actually a moderate output single coil in humbucker housing. It may be a little bit warmer than what you're looking for though.

I'm too lazy to check prices, but they'll probably cost somewhere around $160.
Im not sure if this question goes here, if not please redirect me!
I am left handed, and am replacing the bridge single coil of my strat with a rails humbucker. Will i need to turn it upside down, will i need to change the wires round or do i just leave it and fit it like it was a righty? I dont care if it gives me a different sound (hendrix used righty pickups didnt he?) and if it messes up the EQ then that isnt a problem, i have a pedal to fix that. My main concern is whether or not it will work upside down.
Fit is as a righty.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V (Duncan Quarter Pounds + Hipshot Kickass)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks for that!
Will this sound the same as it would in a righty, even though the strings are reversed? And will i have any EQ problems? I know i would if they were staggered for righty, but im not sure as its a rails bucker.
I wanted to ask if is possible to add single coils/stacked humbckers to the List Of Popular Pickups w/ Descriptions?
I think that i will help a lot people.
Hola.