Page 4 of 25
Lace Sensor Blue?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
1- Gibson SG Standard
2- stock
3- Peavey Classic 50 (high gain option JJ's)
4- The Fall of Troy(ish), punk, mid gain
5- unlimited

GOGOGO
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
hello LPJ here, im looking to replace the 2 singlecoils on my monkeycaster ( strat) im looking for tonal diversity, i have a bare knuckle miricle man in the bridge, so im looking for something clean, and something different, i would like hum less, or variations on the noiseless singlecoil. i can deal with hum though. so i would say, less hum is a bonus but not nesecerray.

so for the moment im looking for the ultimate clean singlecoil, and somthing a little different. they muct be avaliable in black!
cheers

LPJ

edit. these would be for neck and mid positions. i run through a jcm 900 ( when it works) and play metal/hard rock, but like to roll back and have nice clean strummy sounds, and blues growls. if th epickups can handle high gain without being too noicy e.t.c all the better. willing to spend £100 per pickup.
Last edited by Lespauljames at Apr 10, 2010,
Quote by cxrlxscr
Does anyone have any experience with Iron Gear pickups? I'm interested on buying a Rolling Mill for the neck and a Hot Slag for the bridge.

I have this exact same question.

Would be great if someone could do a breakdown of Iron Gear pups.

(I've never played them so can't really propose to do it myself)
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
Hey,

I'm building an HSS Strat with an Alder body and have decided to go with an Invader for the bridge but I'm wondering what neck and mid would compliment it? I was debating on getting a set of GFS Strat "Texas" Alnico Staggers but I would get them simply because of lack of direction, lol.

I play a lot of Hard Rock, Classic Rock, and Punk and I know that in many cases Punk just uses the bridge pup but I want something that will really sizzle for leads and/or compliment the Invader like I mentioned before.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.
Quote by Rock' Monster
Hey,

I'm building an HSS Strat with an Alder body and have decided to go with an Invader for the bridge but I'm wondering what neck and mid would compliment it? I was debating on getting a set of GFS Strat "Texas" Alnico Staggers but I would get them simply because of lack of direction, lol.

I play a lot of Hard Rock, Classic Rock, and Punk and I know that in many cases Punk just uses the bridge pup but I want something that will really sizzle for leads and/or compliment the Invader like I mentioned before.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Definitely look into Seymour Duncan hot rails or cool rails then, they're single coil sized humbuckers that should give you the output you're looking for.
I have an ESP MF-207 which is made of basswood, has EMG HZ's which sound a bit muddy. I was offered a Dimarzio Tone Zone 7 and was wondering if it would do well in the bridge position for metal/rock but still clean up semi decently. Also which pickup would compliment it in the neck position?
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
G-400 alpine white (signed by Coheed & Cambria)
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Quote by Schism1985
Definitely look into Seymour Duncan hot rails or cool rails then, they're single coil sized humbuckers that should give you the output you're looking for.

Thanks for the tip.
Hey guys.

I need some advice in choosing pickups (pretty obvious aye ). I've currently got an Ibanez AF95, which is a full hollowbody, but thinner than more traditional ones. Linky (I got mine before the wacky inlays on the body were introduced). Right now this just has the stock pickups in it (ACH1 Neck and ACH2 Bridge)

Anyways, I'm running this through a Crate V50, which I quite like, but I've been looking at some Fenders, but everything is expensive as hell here in New Zealand, so I don't think I'll be getting one soon. The V50 is running on 6L6GC's, if that's any help to you gurus.

The neck pickup is fine, I quite like it actually. The bridge is just really thin and ridiculously quiet as well, so I'm looking for a replacement for that.

I'm looking for a smooth tone (think George Benson in Breezin') or a tone similar to Pat Metheny's in Bright Size Life.

Like I said, stuff over here in New Zealand is quite expensive, so it would be great if you guys could suggest some sites that ship internationally. I'm thinking of spending up to $200NZD (Which is about $150USD or $100GBP) on the bridge pickup, but if you think that there would be a good combo or it would be better for me to replace both, then by all means, show me whatcha got.
Quote by Gunpowder
You almost banged her? Well you get an almost high five!

*Stops half way*
How will the sd custom-5 sound in the bridge position of an alder strat body with maple neck? Will it pair well with a pearly gates in the neck?

Edit - the guitar has a floyd and I use a 5150 ii.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
Last edited by JHC_DOH at Apr 13, 2010,
Hey guys, need some help here.

-Guitar: '06 Fender Highway One Strat HSS
-Pickups: stock
- Amp: Peavey Classic 30 (EHX Metal Muff for distortion)
-Tone: I have my partscaster for clean sounds and light distortion, and my Les Paul for anything Classic Rock to Hard Rock, so I guess I'm looking for my HW1 to do some Hard Rock and metal'ish type stuff. Maybe Iron Maiden type sound, Metallica, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Black Sabbath etc...more classic style metal and hard rock.
-Budget: Below $300

I'm kind of torn between getting active or passive pickups. I've never tried active's so I'm kinda curious as to how they'd sound, but at the same time I've heard they can be kind of sterile. Passive's I was looking at included Stacked Humbuckers or Rails for the two single coil positions and a normal humbucker for the bridge. If I went active I guess I'd go for some EMG S or SA's and maybe an 81 in the bridge.

What do you guys think?
Quote by JHC_DOH
How will the sd custom-5 sound in the bridge position of an alder strat body with maple neck? Will it pair well with a pearly gates in the neck?

Edit - the guitar has a floyd and I use a 5150 ii.

It will sound good and should match up with a pearly gates pretty well. The Custom 5 is pretty aggressive and good for rock and heavier type of music while your pearly gates will be able to do a lot more of your mellow and classic stuff. All and all it makes for a good combo.
i think every UGer should buy pickups from chris. go make a $50 budget set for the poor 16 year olds chris. name it sweet texan. you'll stop hearing the "it's out of my budget" from people here.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Does anybody know what kind of pickup would get "chunky" tones, have nice cleans, sounds good in a Jackson DK2M (Basswood body), but be good for everything? I was thinking the tone zone, but since I'm using Basswood, it's advised to not use in a heavy wood body?

I'm playing through a Peavey Vypyr 15W it it helps, and I'm looking for a birdge pickup to replace my Dimbucker bridge.
When a pickup uses an alnico 5 magnet and it's DCR exceeds 14K or 15K then they usually (not always) take on a nasal quality if installed in basswood guitars. I'd suggest looking at something like the duncan custom 5 or one of my rock monkey warm heritage pickups. Aim for around 12K to 14K with an alnico 5 magnet and you will get a much more open and alive sound that will be more versatile. Because of the amp you are using the slightly lower output of the pickup isn't going to have a noticeable effect on how hard you can push or amp or how much distortion you can get.

Quote by ECistheBest
i think every UGer should buy pickups from chris. go make a $50 budget set for the poor 16 year olds chris. name it sweet texan. you'll stop hearing the "it's out of my budget" from people here.

If only parts were cheaper and I had more time on my hands

I did used to give UG'ers 10% off until the forum decided I wasn't allowed to.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Apr 21, 2010,
is it possible to put 7 string or some bass pickups into a regukar 6 string guitar. i wanna make my guita baritone.... so yeah.... plz answer
If it's a blade style pickup then you can do it but not without some routing. If it's not a blade pickup then the spacing won't line up.

Using a 7 string pickup is actually going to make the guitar worse for baritone tunings. You need to change the scale length not the pickups. Companies like Warmoth sell conversion necks and that is what you need to get.
Hey guys,
I'm looking for new pickups for my Fame Forum III. at the moment she's equiped with Schaller 50's wich are verry bright.
my guitar is made of alder, with a maple top,maple neck and rosewood fretboard, and I play it through my Bugera 333 combo.

I was thinking about SD Custom Custom - Pearly Gates combo, but i'm not sure if it will work, since i dont know shit about pickups, tonewoods and god knows what else..
I'm open for all kinda pickups, but no active, to much hassle with routing n stuff!
for the price, I was thinking about like $150 for both(or something near it, I'm in Europe, so should be Euro's).
So I'm looking for a hotrotted HH combi, for a bright'ish guitar!

PS: Chris, If you can make me some, or have any idea of combo, suggest it! I was looking @ your site, and was interested!

Cheers,
Jeroen

EDIT: music style, metalcore, post hardcore, punk, bit of blues
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Yeah Ibanez and Gibson design all their models on their iPods.

Pokémon CYOA
Click here for my electro tunes!

Proud user and abuser of Bugera
Last edited by SoulSlaughter at Apr 27, 2010,
Quote by CorduroyEW
If it's a blade style pickup then you can do it but not without some routing. If it's not a blade pickup then the spacing won't line up.

Using a 7 string pickup is actually going to make the guitar worse for baritone tunings. You need to change the scale length not the pickups. Companies like Warmoth sell conversion necks and that is what you need to get.

what kind of pickups could i put into a guitar if i wanna be down 2 and 1/2 steps?
Take a look at DiMarzio D-Activators. They were specifically designed for lower tunings.
superman is killing himself tonight
Okay, so I didn't see anything about this in the information in the begining of the thread, but I heard if you get a high output humbucker and you have lower output single coils the volume difference can be an issue.

What are the limits on the output differences between the pickups? I'm looking at getting a Mo' Joe humbucker and True Velvet single coils (its an H-S-S setup). The Mo' Joe output is 320 and the True Velvet output is 130. Will I have an issue using these together?
Can we ask for recommendations for 7 string pickups in here also?
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by SoulSlaughter
I was thinking about SD Custom Custom - Pearly Gates combo, but i'm not sure if it will work, since i dont know shit about pickups, tonewoods and god knows what else..

PS: Chris, If you can make me some, or have any idea of combo, suggest it! I was looking @ your site, and was interested!

music style, metalcore, post hardcore, punk, bit of blues

I think you are looking in the right direction with the Custom Custom and Pearly Gates combo. I do thing the pearly gates is going to have a bit less power than you are after but I'm not sure of another name brand pickup that has a similar tonal flavor with more power.

If you got pickups from me I'd suggest a silverback bridge modded with an A2 magnet. This is wound with PE wire so that it'll stay clear even with the A2 magnet and it's wound to early 60's spec which was quite a bit hotter than the "average" PAF. For your bridge pickup I suggest one that is still unnamed at this time. It's wound to 16K(ish) with PE wire so it's got lots of output and clarity and then I use an A3 magnet which helps it avoid that nasal upper midrange spike that most high output alnico pickups have. Tonally it sounds like a PAF that has been run through a sustainer for a bit more definition and better overdrive characteristics.
Sorry for multiple posts but the board keeps freezing on me and won't let me edit.

Quote by brianxz43
what kind of pickups could i put into a guitar if i wanna be down 2 and 1/2 steps?

Basically anything with a ceramic magnet will work. D tuner and D Activator are both good choices.
Quote by Aurora900
Okay, so I didn't see anything about this in the information in the begining of the thread, but I heard if you get a high output humbucker and you have lower output single coils the volume difference can be an issue.

What are the limits on the output differences between the pickups? I'm looking at getting a Mo' Joe humbucker and True Velvet single coils (its an H-S-S setup). The Mo' Joe output is 320 and the True Velvet output is 130. Will I have an issue using these together?

This depends on what you consider to be an "issue". The True Velvet will be noticeably quieter than the Mo Joe. Some players like to use this to their advantage have the high output pickup that they use as a boost for soloing and then switch to the quieter neck and middle for rhythm. Others just get used to using the volume knob. It's fine to put a very high output pickup in with vintage output pickups as long as your playing style doesn't require everything to be equal volume all the time.
Quote by CorduroyEW
This depends on what you consider to be an "issue". The True Velvet will be noticeably quieter than the Mo Joe. Some players like to use this to their advantage have the high output pickup that they use as a boost for soloing and then switch to the quieter neck and middle for rhythm. Others just get used to using the volume knob. It's fine to put a very high output pickup in with vintage output pickups as long as your playing style doesn't require everything to be equal volume all the time.

Is there a better set of single coils you'd recommend to pair with the Mo' Joe then? The second position on my pickup switch splits the humbucker and adds the middle pickup, so I don't want it to drown out the middle pickup...
I am currently building a guitar and looking for pickups

I would like pickups that can give that screaming stratocaster sound.

However, I also want pickups that can deliver that rich and full les paul tone.

Basically i want very versatile pickups and for a low price. My style of music varys from smoth jazz to classic rock all the way to metal. Which pickups would be best? I am thinking possibly pickups with coil tapping so I can get that range I desire.

What would be a good set of pickups could take me from a cool jazz to a slaughtering metal all at an affordable price?

-PopTart
Quote by lil PopTart kid

Basically i want very versatile pickups and for a low price. My style of music varys from smoth jazz to classic rock all the way to metal. Which pickups would be best? I am thinking possibly pickups with coil tapping so I can get that range I desire.

What would be a good set of pickups could take me from a cool jazz to a slaughtering metal all at an affordable price?

-PopTart

Personally I love my Iron Gear Hot Slag humbucker.
It's high output (about 13k iirc) and cleans up nicely and they cost about 25 quid
also has coil splitting option available
My guitar
Stock Pickups
My Amp
Tone I'd like.
Budget: Prefer <$250 American

I was thinking about some Blackouts, is that a good idea?

Also, a quick question if you guys don't mind. Would my amp be able to handle stuff like that well? Because I can't get anything out of it unless I use some amp modeling in my Line 6 UX1, which makes my amp just a monitor then basically. Also, I'd like to get a small amp (hopefully tube) this summer, because I'm going off to college. Would a Fender Super Champ XD be able to do this?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Last edited by DimebagLivesOn at Apr 29, 2010,
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
My guitar
Stock Pickups
My Amp
Tone I'd like.
Budget: Prefer <$250 American

I was thinking about some Blackouts, is that a good idea?

Also, a quick question if you guys don't mind. Would my amp be able to handle stuff like that well? Because I can't get anything out of it unless I use some amp modeling in my Line 6 UX1, which makes my amp just a monitor then basically. Also, I'd like to get a small amp (hopefully tube) this summer, because I'm going off to college. Would a Fender Super Champ XD be able to do this?

It's not pickup related but if you're chasing a specific tone an epi valve junior might be the way to go for you; small, quite cheap, all tube, easy to mod to your own spec
Quote by Aurora900

That output measurement isn't the best to go by when it comes to volume output. It's something that they do uniquely to measure hot how the pickup is. Volume of pickups can easily be remedied by adjusting pickup height.
Quote by Aurora900
Is there a better set of single coils you'd recommend to pair with the Mo' Joe then? The second position on my pickup switch splits the humbucker and adds the middle pickup, so I don't want it to drown out the middle pickup...

That humbucker split will NOT drown out the single coil. I personally prefer the sound of a bridge humbie with a middle single as opposed to two singles. I like two singles when it's neck/middle.
Quote by lil PopTart kid

-PopTart

A DiMarzio FRED actually has a very nice Strat-y single coil tone when split. Combined with a middle single coil pickup it'll be sweet. Very versatile as a humbucker too.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Apr 30, 2010,
Could you give a link to the specific dimarzio fred? The one needed for the neck then the one needed for the bridge pickup? Thankyou
There's only one FRED But I played it with a PAF Pro in the neck position. A PAF Joe may be a nicer choice since it's a bit clearer than the Pro. They're both on the DiMarzio website under Moderate Output Humbuckers.

Stupid name.

Quote by Aurora900

Any single coil pickup you use that is a vintage style single will have that volume drop. Single coil pickups are horribly inefficient so even when they have the same DCR they still tend to have lower output than the humbucker equivalent. The best advise I can give is to learn to use the volume drop to your advantage. If you can't do that then get a higher output single. Look for something around 10K, give or take, and you should do a lot better volume wise but it's gonna change the tone.
Quote by Shinozoku
That output measurement isn't the best to go by when it comes to volume output. It's something that they do uniquely to measure hot how the pickup is. Volume of pickups can easily be remedied by adjusting pickup height.

That humbucker split will NOT drown out the single coil. I personally prefer the sound of a bridge humbie with a middle single as opposed to two singles. I like two singles when it's neck/middle.

Thanks, I didn't even think about the pickup height.

And I prefer splitting the bridge with the middle because it essentially makes the guitar as versatile as a 3 single coil strat, with the option of having a nice humbucker when needed for solos.

I can't wait to finish this guitar and post it in the gallery, it's going to be sick
I am looking for 2 hum-bucking pickups. A have a mahogany Agile AL-2000(LP copy). It has a Floyd Rose. I am looking for a warmer sound. I am also looking for a neck pickup that does really good cleans, and doesn't get muddy with gainy lead parts. I am looking for something in the bridge that does well with very high gain.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Quote by pokeatthedevil
I am looking for 2 hum-bucking pickups. A have a mahogany Agile AL-2000(LP copy). It has a Floyd Rose. I am looking for a warmer sound. I am also looking for a neck pickup that does really good cleans, and doesn't get muddy with gainy lead parts. I am looking for something in the bridge that does well with very high gain.

In the neck I suggest a Rock Monkey Blackback. The neck version of this pickups uses a custom made wire gauge that is the same as the thicker PE insulation that was used in vintage pickups. This wire helps the clean tone sound more open and chimy and it also make the bass somewhat loose which helps the pickup to sound warm. This pickup also uses a rough cast alnico 3 magnet which helps to give a very balanced tone and prevents the bass from booming out of control when you play distorted.

If you want to go with a Name brand get yourself a duncan 59 and replace the A5 magnet with an A2 or look into a pearly gates. The 59 with an A2 magnet is going to give you a clearer clean tone and more defined distorted tone because of it's PE wire. The pearly gates is going to sound smoother but is going to lack the clarity of a 59 with an A2 mag. Don't get the 59 if you don't want to replace the magnet because the 59 is a bright pickup when stock, and don't get the 4 conductor version of the 59 because it's metal parts are different (cheaper) than the 2 conductor version.

If you need a budget pickup then I suggest something like the alnico 4 PAF style pickup that tonerider makes. Alnico 4 magnets sound bright and chimey when clean but they compress very quickly when you play with lots of distortion and they help give you that "on the edge of out of control" tone that was made popular by musicians like Page and Clapton.

In the bridge we need a bit more info about what you intend to play before we can make a good suggestion. There are a lot of great high output pickups on the market and the best one really depends on what type of high gain tones you are after.
Looking to replace two single coils in a Gibson spaced guitar. Body solid maple, maple neck with rosewood finger board. Looking for good clear bottom end at the neck and a well rounded sound for the mid. Does anyone still make standard spacing single coils?
Bridge pickup is ( will be ) a Dimarzio bluesbucker.
I Need to replace humbuckers in a crappy epiphone les paul with better pickups.

I want good tone for metal/Drop-A. preferrably Passive, but only because I don't want new pots and a battery box.
Quote by crazy8rgood
1. Cut a hole in a time capsule.
2. Stick your junk in that hole.
3. In 50,000 years make her open that capsule.

AND THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT THAT'S MY DICK IN A TIME CAPSULE

Quote by .Jamison
I prefer my woman blond. and without a dick.

output from these 3 SD pups:
JB Jr.™ SJBJ-1
Li'l Screamin' Demon SLSD-1
Little '59™ for Strat SL59-1

One of these would go in my mim strat at the bridge position. The SD site seems to have database problems, as the specs and output ratings seem to differ on different pages.

Can anyone break it down for me, which is the hottest, etc? I'd be playing hard to heavy rock on it. Some metal, but not deth metal. Like Metallica-ish at the heaviest.