Page 5 of 25
I putting some pickups in a Jackson that I have and I can't decide what I want. I'm thinking either DiMarzio or Duncans.

I'm wanting good Rock and Metal tones but I want good cleans from the neck and ok from the bridge. From SD I considered a JB and a 59 but I wouldn't mind hearing other combos.

I'm not too familiar with DiMarzios so I need a little help there. My budget is $160ish
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
What does everyone thing of the Gibson '57 Classic plus for the bridge position? I mean i've heard good things about the regular '57, and they say the angus young is like the '57 with more gain, so what is the '57 Classic Plus like????

Any insight would be very helpful.
Does IronGear post to Aus or is there anywhere in Aus to order them form?

EDIT:
Found their eBay store.

I'm looking to throw a set of 3 IronGear Pig Iron pickups in my strat. Anyone used these before? How do you like them? I'm looking for good, clear cleans and decent moderate distortion similar to the old classics such as ACDC .etc
Last edited by Drummerrrrr? at May 5, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
so glad this thread exists but noone reads it

Seriously. There are just too many questions for so few people who have lives.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
just saying people would sooner see a thread rather than look here(but it says not to make threads regarding things like pickups)......
BladeSlinger, you can compare pickup sounds at both Demazio and Duncan web sites.

Duncan has a better system for comparing sounds. Don't understand Dimazio's concept of listening to post production samples. With enough equipment you could make an old Silvertone sound great. LOL

At Duncan you can hear each pickup being played threw the same system. Easier to hear tone variations.

If you don't already have them here's the links,

Dimarzio
http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/

Seymour Duncan

http://www.seymourduncan.com/

Not really an answer for ya but hope a start.

I do have and use a Dimazio Bluesbucker with at the bridge with the screws toward the neck. Great sound for what I play ( blues ).

handbanana, I know I'm just a newbe here but I'm not new to forums. Don't post questions on a forum? Kinda sounds like the forum is tired of being successful. LOL On one hand I can see where they're coming from. All info in one place. Anyone with a question can look threw a vast archive of info in hopes of finding an answer. Nice idea in thought. Not so nice in practice. With a better search engine it would work. Try typing in 'Gibson scale single coil'. Every post with Gibson, Every post with scale...LOL Guess I could try Boolean logic and see if that works here. As with yours my question stands. Don't care how long it takes as long as I know when I need to make the choice.
God, how did I forget that. I've gone through those samples hundreds of times when I was wanting a Tele pickup. Thank you. One of the best 10'ers I've seen. Very helpful.

Searching helps a lot but this thread was made to gain information by asking questions.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Hey UG, hopefully you can help me out with my questions about my Pups.
Ok, so I want to upgrade mine in my RG (as seen in my sig) And I get lots of feedback on tons of gain. I'm wondering what to get, because right now I have been thinking a LiquiFire and CrunchLab like Petrucci, but I want to be able to achieve lots of tones from Jimmy Page to Metallica, but I know thats not physically possible, but just a good, high output pup than can handle lots of gain, harmonics, cleans, and good crunch sounds. Is the Crunch Lab and LiquiFire a good choice? Or should I re-think this?
is there rules for pairing pickups (neck and bridge)? i guess i shouldn't use the word rules, but i mean like is there certain types of pickups wont go well with another?
Quote by bibicola
is there rules for pairing pickups (neck and bridge)? i guess i shouldn't use the word rules, but i mean like is there certain types of pickups wont go well with another?

You should find balanced pairs. You wouldn't want a super high output and then one that has very little because when you switch there would be a big volume difference. Certain pickups compliment the characteristics of others and you can look up some famous combos.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
You should find balanced pairs. You wouldn't want a super high output and then one that has very little because when you switch there would be a big volume difference. Certain pickups compliment the characteristics of others and you can look up some famous combos.

im thinking of putting a bareknuckle stormy monday at neck (for cleaner stuff) with a nailbomb at bridge (for heavier stuff), would this work?
I don't know much about Bareknuckles. There's a very high chance that it will work though.

For curiosity's sake, what are the outputs on each? I'm not too informed on all this but I'm still curious. Gotta start somewhere.

Check reviews of each and see if there are any big drawbacks even though I never hear bad things about BK's. The individuals fitting their place are more important than the combo usually unless you're switching mid song or using the middle position. At least in my opinion.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
im not quite sure about their outputs, but is it the "DC" section. according to their site the nailbomb is 16K and the stormy monday is 7.1K at neck.

base on suggestions from others and sound clips i listened, i thought they will do good in their part like you said, so i thought i could just give them a try
I'm in need of a bit of help. 'm using a Epiphone crappy Sg, and the pickups are really failing for me. I have no idea what to get, but some recommendations would be nice. I play some really heavy stuff, so i need something that can handle some really low tunings. The main band's kind of sound I'm after would be Electric Wizard. I'm not sure how much difference a new set of pups would do, but any kind of upgrade would be great right now.
Quote by bibicola
im not quite sure about their outputs, but is it the "DC" section. according to their site the nailbomb is 16K and the stormy monday is 7.1K at neck.

base on suggestions from others and sound clips i listened, i thought they will do good in their part like you said, so i thought i could just give them a try

That's not too far off from the JB/Jazz combo if I'm reading the SD site correctly.

Even if there's a little volume change I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

^SD has the Duncan Custom and Duncan Distortion that are recommended for Metal and drop tuning.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Well, looks like I could use some advice on buying a pickup.

Guitar: Ibanez ART100 (specs and whatnot here http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-ART100)

Amp: Blackheart Little Giant 5w Halfstack

Budget: About 100 USD

I want a humbucker that will play nicely with my Boss FZ-2 fuzz pedal and will give me a nice, chunky, stoner-doom tone (think Electric Wizard) and a suitable sludge tone (with an EHX Metal Muff). I also wouldn't mind being able to play some noise rock with it, but I'd be happy with just the sludge/stoner if the pickup is designed for that sort of thing specifically . My amp isn't much for gain, but it takes pedals really well, so I'm looking for a pickup to give my pedals a little more help. Also, I presume that this pickup would do better in the neck position, right? I only have the cash for a single pup and the tone I'm looking for doesn't really require much treble.

Thanks in advance!
You can dial your bridge in to be bassier. Better to be able to back it off a little than be stuck with too much.

Your amp is going to give you a lot of that stuff but you could get a set from Guitar Fetish. I have a set for Tele that's good for the price. They get nice bottom end

The VEH, Power Rails or a Crunchy PAT would probably do what you need. You could even find pedals for later that are cheap and I hear good things about them.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
So what would you guys suggest for a very versatile pickup? I was thinking the Nailbomb, but I would like some thoughts about it. I want to be able to do everything from Job for a Cowboy to things like The Beatles.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
So what would you guys suggest for a very versatile pickup? I was thinking the Nailbomb, but I would like some thoughts about it. I want to be able to do everything from Job for a Cowboy to things like The Beatles.

I'm also curious about this. I've looked everywhere and nothing is sounding good to me but after listening to some GFS demos I really like them. I have some Tele rails and the sound is so much better to me than some name brand pickups.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Hola, pup gurus.

I'm modifying the crap out of my old Squier Affinity Strat, so much that the only stock parts left will be the alder body, the maple neck, and the rosewood fretboard. Among the changes will be changing the guitar from SSS to HSS configuration.

The moosics I play range from clean blues and rock n' roll to 80s Heavy Metal. Generally the "heaviest" I'll get Iron Maidenish stuff. I don't particularly like anything gainyer and I can't stand the chugga chugga. The style I will be playing the most is Classic Rock and Hard Rock, but I'll definitely need the pickups to take me into Iron Maiden/Scorpions territory.

I don't know much about coil windings and 12k this and 8k that. Going by audio samples and youtube videos, some bridge pickups I've been looking in to include

SD Pearly Gates
SD Alnico II Pro
SD Custom 5
SD Duncan Custom
SD Custom Custom
SD Screamin' Demon
SD JB -- (Don't think it will clean up well enough)
DiMarzio Tone Zone
DiMarzio Air Norton
DiMarzio Air Zone
DiMarzio Crunch Lab -- (don't know how well it will clean up, but the driven tone is fantastic)
DiMarzio PAF Pro

The two big name brands. Despite changing the guitar up completely, I don't really want to spend the big bucks on boutique hand-wound pups when they're gonna be dropped into a dolled up Squier, so I've pretty much eliminated brands like BKP.

Any input?

EDIT: For the record, the guitar will be played through these amps--Peavey Vypyr 30, Vox AC15CC, Egnater Rebel 20. Boosted as needed.
Last edited by Seref at May 14, 2010,
I've got similar tastes to you. Occasional sabbath or metallica but thats the limit. And punk, but anyone with a TS can do that I put a SD lil 59 in my bridge spot. Perfect. Its the single coil sized humbucker that's modeled on a '59 les paul. Nice and hot and tasty without going into speedmetal land. Growly on clean channels. And, its an easy direct replacement.
Can I get a recomendation for a pickup?
I play alot of classic rock and blues but I am really starting to get into more heavy music, thrash and death metal.
I do not want an active pickup.
What would be a fairly verstile pickup for these styles?
I don't really want to spend over $100 for a pickup and or $200 for a set.
Quote by Silent_Crow13
Can I get a recomendation for a pickup?
I play alot of classic rock and blues but I am really starting to get into more heavy music, thrash and death metal.
I do not want an active pickup.
What would be a fairly verstile pickup for these styles?
I don't really want to spend over $100 for a pickup and or $200 for a set.

You might check out the JB and I think a Custom Custom takes gain well.

Seref, if it's a cheap project look at some GFS demos on Youtube. I think a Fat PAT set would work for you for you could put one of the more vintage in the neck and middle. You'll spend less than $100 on everything. I have a Tele set that I used in a project and I enjoy them. Pretty nice tone.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Hey Ug the 2 guitars I own I don't like the sound of, I have a pacifica 1221 ms tele. It was way too bright with the original dimarzio's in it. I replaced the bridge pup with a seymour duncan sh-11 and now it's a little too bassy and soft sounding. The other guitar is a schecter C-1 plus have a dimarzio dp-100 in the bridge and it is way too harsh. Since there are so many pickups to choose from it's really hard to do any research until you actually put one in your guitar and try it. So any one with experience with quite a few pickups could dime in on this for me. Thanks

pickups I'm considering

Dimarzio tone zone
Lace sensor gold humbucker
^What sort of music do you play, what's your budget and are you replacing just the bridge pickup?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Jak Archer
^What sort of music do you play, what's your budget and are you replacing just the bridge pickup?

I play anything from skynyrd to godsmack mostly rock and use overdrive. My budget is 150 bucks. And yes I am replacing the bridge pickup only for now.
I'm looking for something of a more "bluesy" feel. Maybe a mix between BB King, Clapton and John Mayer.

I'm currently playing a Schecter Damien 6 FR w/e EMG H4/H4A combo.

I was looking into a few DiMarzios and Duncans. I would really like to keep the color scheme somewhat as is. I like the EMG style PUP covers, but a nice gunmetal or chromish PUP would work I guess.

I was looking at these: Any of them stand out to you guys?
Duncan- SH-5
LW-CH2
PATB3
Original PATB-1
Stag Mag SH-3

DiMarzios-
Humbucker from Hell DP156
Air Zone
and I've heard good things about the Evos

Any input? I'd like to pick something up tomorrow.
My Gear-
2010 Ibanez S570DXQM 24-fretter
MIM Fender Standard Strat HSS Sierra Sunburst

Line 6 Spider IV 15w
Really liking the PAF Pro DP151.....Why does the chrome only come in F-spacing AND is $50 more???
My Gear-
2010 Ibanez S570DXQM 24-fretter
MIM Fender Standard Strat HSS Sierra Sunburst

Line 6 Spider IV 15w
You'd have to ask them why it only comes in F-spacing. As for the $50 more, chromed metal is significantly more expensive than plastic. Not $50 worth though, that's just DiMarzio squeezing money out of an aesthetic gimmick.

Also, your two posts were 15 minutes apart. Try using the edit button next time, double posting is generally frowned upon.

Quote by BladeSlinger
Seref, if it's a cheap project look at some GFS demos on Youtube. I think a Fat PAT set would work for you for you could put one of the more vintage in the neck and middle. You'll spend less than $100 on everything. I have a Tele set that I used in a project and I enjoy them. Pretty nice tone

Yeah, I looked at GFS a long while ago and decided against it. It's not really a cheap project--for all intents and purposes it'll be a brand new guitar, probably comparable to some MIA Fender Strats. Planning on installing only top quality electronics and hardware. But even so, boutique stuff is mad expensive so I didn't wanna roll with that. Still, as long as I'm upgrading the guitar I don't want budget pickups either.
Last edited by Seref at May 18, 2010,
guy i own an ibanez rgr321 ex which has basswood in it. i play a variety of styles from metal to rock to blues. Im thinkin of gettin the dimarzio evolutions . is this a good choice? if not, im open to other suggestions and opinions.
Quote by Seref
You'd have to ask them why it only comes in F-spacing. As for the $50 more, chromed metal is significantly more expensive than plastic. Not $50 worth though, that's just DiMarzio squeezing money out of an aesthetic gimmick.

Also, your two posts were 15 minutes apart. Try using the edit button next time, double posting is generally frowned upon.

Yeah, I looked at GFS a long while ago and decided against it. It's not really a cheap project--for all intents and purposes it'll be a brand new guitar, probably comparable to some MIA Fender Strats. Planning on installing only top quality electronics and hardware. But even so, boutique stuff is mad expensive so I didn't wanna roll with that. Still, as long as I'm upgrading the guitar I don't want budget pickups either.

I'm putting them in a project of mine because if they work, I saved a lot of money. If they don't work, I'll buy a set of name brands and use the GFS for my other guitars or another project. At $50 a set it isn't a huge loss if you can re-use them. I watched a ton of Youtube videos and they seemed like they'd work for me. I don't have an amazing amp or skills so a nice pickup probably wouldn't shine through as well.

After looking at reviews and demos, I at least consider them now.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quick question about pickups guys.

Music: I like a wide range of stuff from old school "tough guy" hardcore to metalcore, to modern rock stuff and everything in between. I like distortion in all shapes and form. But I also like my cleans!

Amp: Peavey Vypyr 75w
Guitar: Epi G-400

I'm not completely sure I want/need active pups but I'm not against them. If possible I'd like to get recommendations as to what would work best in both categories (active and passive) So what would you recommend for me?
With your amp I'm not sure if actives would work for you.

I'm still working on my pickup knowledge but I think these might work well for you. They're all for the bridge.

Seymour Duncan:
JB
Custom Custom
Screamin' Demon
Duncan Distortion

I don't know a lot of Dimarzios and you could always look in to more expensive pickups like Bare Knuckles and go cheap with GFS. For those pickups I listed you might pair them with a '59, Jazz or Pearly Gates.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Hey there I'm new :P

I'm deciding what pups to put into my Ibanez S 5470 - That's a mahogany bodied, thin but surprisingly heavier than it looks beauty of a guitar with a floating trem.

Problems with the current pickups are a lack of warmth, sustain, fullness and rich tone.

The sounds I'm trying to sort of emulate (i'm not trying to copy really, I just like elements of certain tones) are leads sounds like Joe Satriani, David Gilmour, Carlos Santana, Eric Johnson ... Rhythm sounds similar to Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix ... and if possible some nice clear metal tones but that's not super essential. Metal tones like the inevitable Metallica, but the one lead metal tone I've fallen in love with is a guy called Per Nillson from the band Scar Symmetry.

Hopefully that sets the flavour of what I want and gives enough info to get some advice.

As someone who adores Satch and the like... I've gotten fixated on DiMarzios and the choices are as follows really:

Bridge - Evo 2, Breed Bridge, Tone Zone, Norton and Fred*
Neck - PAF Joe, Breed Neck, Air Norton, Fred*

*I've heard mixed things about the Fred - originally I had my heart set on it because it's a 'Satch pickup' and sounds so beautiful in many of the samples I've heard - although they havn't been in an Ibanez S... Anyway that's irrelevant :P

So, anyway - Can you genius' here tell me what you'd do in my situation, and give me some advice of what may work and what may not.

Cheers
Sounds like a Breed or Evo 2 in the bridge with an Air Norton in the neck would be good.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I installed a new guard with two humbuckers (PAFs) in my squire strat sometime last year. I've got room for a third pickup in the middle position, and I'd like a humbucker, but I'm not totally sure what to really be looking for. What can anybody tell me about Filtertron pickups or what would be a good pickup--I guess I'm looking for one that can be installed into a squire strat's middle position and will sound clear with heavy treble and distortion....any suggestions?