Hey im Wondering if i should get rid of the burstbuckers on my les Paul Standard, I mostly Play Metal, and they've been pissing me off latley, my generic high outputs from ibanez get better harmonics and those dont cost $130 dollars, that whole guitar does new

and i play mostly metal like pantera, slayer Megadeth, testament, Children of bodom, Sabbath, Maiden, Etc
Eh.
if you want to ruin your tone, put in the ibanez pickups

the burstbuckers probably arent the best pups for what you want, you may want to look into EMG's, duncans (blackouts or d activaters) or rockfield mafia's. dont throw crap pickups into your guitar, you'll only make your problem worse
Can't advise you on whether to get rid of your Burstbuckers or not, but if you do, can you let me know (I assume I can get PMs on here, though I'm not certain as no one has ever tried sending me one yet...) I recently bought and LP in which someone had replaced the stock pups with PRS. I am considering taking it back to stock... (I need to confirm but I believe at least one of the pickups on the '95 LP Std. was a BB...)

Still not sure it's worth spending the extra cash at this point, but it would be good to know if there is a good used set of pickups on the market...

Thx.

Gear:
'00 Fender SRV Strat MIA
'95 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric (Mod. AEG20E - VV)
Fender Super-Champ XD Amp
Boss Loop Station Pedal
Hope, fear, confusion, no natural talent.
BKP Warpig
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
i love burstbuckers. thinking about putting them in a build i'm starting up soon. they're definitely very cool pickups. love the clarity and crunch they can give you, and they aren't too high output. good mix. you can find some more detailed reviews online though.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Dude, invest in some Bill Lawrence 500xl's,( which is what dime used) or some emg's. those will give you the tone for your metal needs. oh and a question, why a les paul if you play metal?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Mar 8, 2010,
Burstbuckers are nothing short of awesome.
That being said, they're not the top for metal.

I'll add myself to the rest here, smack in some EMG's. 81/85 Set is good, and you can get it in chrome/gold if it suits your guitar better.
I love my BurstBucker Pro's...

I do however, consider them to be balanced pickups, not super high gain.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Mar 8, 2010,
Put some other gibson humbuckers in there! Put a 500T in the bridge and a 496R in the neck

But keep the burstbuckers, should you ever want to sell the guitar, you take the other pickups out and put the burstbuckers back in and it's an "original" guitar.
The Burstbuckers (I'm assuming they're the Pro model - there's a large difference between the Pro version and the numbered versions) can be fine for metal, depending on 1) you know how to use the EQ section of your amp halfway decently and 2) your definition of 'metal'. For Iron Maiden, early Metallica, early Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Budgie, Motörhead, Saxon or later Deep Purple kind of 'metal' tones, the Burstbuckers would be absolutely fine. For more modern metal tones (i.e. anything from the late '80s onwards, too many to list here) then yeah, they're not going to be quite so suitable. You've listed a pretty even mix of bands from both camps, so take your pick really.

In terms of "better harmonics", I expect what you're experiencing is the Ibanez pickups probably having ceramic bar magnets, giving a more comrpessed tone with more brittle treble response. These two things combined do make harmonics come out unusually clearly, especially pinch harmonics which can be hard to get ringing out properly with sloppy technique. The Ibanez's pickups are probably less sensitive to how high they are set, compared ot BurstBuckers which have a specific range they work best at.
That said, my Gibson LP has a BurstBucker #1 (the lowest output and most mellow of the BurstBucker pickups) in the neck position and even with that, I can get pinch harmonics ringing out just as clearly as any high output ceramic bridge pickup, even with my amp's gain not even halfway. Getting harmonics (of any kind, be they natural, pinch, tapped, whatever) to ring out properly is 99.99% down to your technique. If my ultra low-output, very open-toned and mellow BurstBucker #1 neck position can get harmonics going clearly, your more compressed, higher output BurstBucker Pros should definitely be capable of it.

So, all-in-all I wouldn't bother switching them out just yet. Try lowering them - BurstBuckers tend to react better if they're further from the strings, I have mine level with the pickup mounting rings - have a fiddle with your amp's EQ and refine your technique, because in terms of response and quality the BurstBuckers should by all rights be completely fine and in terms of tone they are perfectly suitable for half the bands you listed.

And to everyone suggesting active pickups: do you realise how expensive and hard it is to fit active pickups into a Les Paul that has stock pickups? It can cost easily four to five times as much as any set of passive pickups and no, they are not four to five times better to compensate. And that's coming from someone who has active pickups. They're not even remotely suitable for a lot of the tones OP listed anyway. don't be blind dickheads, active pickups =/= metal and metal =/= active pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Mar 8, 2010,
Quote by MrFlibble
Getting harmonics (of any kind, be they natural, pinch, tapped, whatever) to ring out properly is 99.99% down to your technique. If my ultra low-output, very open-toned and mellow BurstBucker #1 neck position can get harmonics going clearly, your more compressed, higher output BurstBucker Pros should definitely be capable of it.

Best post regarding pinch harmonics I have seen on this site, amen! I can generally get pinch harmonics out of my single coil on my strat. Are they BRUTAL, no not really. But I worked on my technique for pinches for hours a day, days a week, weeks a year. If you get your technique down you shouldn't have a problem. And on a Gibson that should have a deep sound as it is, and having heard burstbuckers before, you should get a good harmonic out of those.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
How much wuld it cost to get EMGs installed? I was trying to avoid this because there on the more expensive side and I know there are more complicated electronics to it, Btw Les paul is a great metal guitar, its virtually same specs as dime's Mls xept those have floyds but I mean Mahog Body with maple top, set Mahogony 22 fret 24 1/2 scale neck with rosewood fingerboard, its a pretty good metal tone
Eh.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Burstbuckers (I'm assuming they're the Pro model - there's a large difference between the Pro version and the numbered versions) can be fine for metal, depending on 1) you know how to use the EQ section of your amp halfway decently and 2) your definition of 'metal'. For Iron Maiden, early Metallica, early Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Budgie, Motörhead, Saxon or later Deep Purple kind of 'metal' tones, the Burstbuckers would be absolutely fine. For more modern metal tones (i.e. anything from the late '80s onwards, too many to list here) then yeah, they're not going to be quite so suitable. You've listed a pretty even mix of bands from both camps, so take your pick really.

In terms of "better harmonics", I expect what you're experiencing is the Ibanez pickups probably having ceramic bar magnets, giving a more comrpessed tone with more brittle treble response. These two things combined do make harmonics come out unusually clearly, especially pinch harmonics which can be hard to get ringing out properly with sloppy technique. The Ibanez's pickups are probably less sensitive to how high they are set, compared ot BurstBuckers which have a specific range they work best at.
That said, my Gibson LP has a BurstBucker #1 (the lowest output and most mellow of the BurstBucker pickups) in the neck position and even with that, I can get pinch harmonics ringing out just as clearly as any high output ceramic bridge pickup, even with my amp's gain not even halfway. Getting harmonics (of any kind, be they natural, pinch, tapped, whatever) to ring out properly is 99.99% down to your technique. If my ultra low-output, very open-toned and mellow BurstBucker #1 neck position can get harmonics going clearly, your more compressed, higher output BurstBucker Pros should definitely be capable of it.

So, all-in-all I wouldn't bother switching them out just yet. Try lowering them - BurstBuckers tend to react better if they're further from the strings, I have mine level with the pickup mounting rings - have a fiddle with your amp's EQ and refine your technique, because in terms of response and quality the BurstBuckers should by all rights be completely fine and in terms of tone they are perfectly suitable for half the bands you listed.

And to everyone suggesting active pickups: do you realise how expensive and hard it is to fit active pickups into a Les Paul that has stock pickups? It can cost easily four to five times as much as any set of passive pickups and no, they are not four to five times better to compensate. And that's coming from someone who has active pickups. They're not even remotely suitable for a lot of the tones OP listed anyway. don't be blind dickheads, active pickups =/= metal and metal =/= active pickups.

My burstbuckers can get harmonics, but my freind has same guitar and an esp eclipse with Emgs, and his harmonics sound waaaaaaaaay better on that thing
Eh.
if you DO get emgs, do not get the 81 for the bridge. get the 60a!! it isnt harsh on the high end and its nice and chunky for the PM stuff. but, the 60a doesnt come with chrome or gold covers if thats what you were wanting. the 60 ceramic does but ive never tried that one.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by supersac
well lp arent reallt meant to play metal unlike most ibanez

i am getting REALLY tired of this ignorant shit on here. there are a bunch of metal acts that use les paul. high on fire...

**** some burst buckers. go higher out put with bare knuckles or some seymour dunan or try some other companies similar to bare knuckles.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Himelnator
How much wuld it cost to get EMGs installed? I was trying to avoid this because there on the more expensive side and I know there are more complicated electronics to it, Btw Les paul is a great metal guitar, its virtually same specs as dime's Mls xept those have floyds but I mean Mahog Body with maple top, set Mahogony 22 fret 24 1/2 scale neck with rosewood fingerboard, its a pretty good metal tone

dont ruin such a nice guitar with such ****ing pointless pick ups man. you can get some heavy sounds from over wound passives. actives are a ****ing gimmick. nothing more. dont be a tool like the idiot who said les pauls arent metal. if i was sober id still be angry. hahaha
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Himelnator
My burstbuckers can get harmonics, but my freind has same guitar and an esp eclipse with Emgs, and his harmonics sound waaaaaaaaay better on that thing
Yeah well, I say again: technique.
If you're ever in doubt about pickups like BurstBuckers or any other pickup of that sort of design and how well they respond to harmonics, look up Billy Gibbons.

And to anyone who thinks LPs with low-output passive pickups can't do metal, let alone fast shred, tapping, pinch harmonics, all that stuff: say hello to Doug Aldrich.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
funny thing, i was just watching Land of the Dead before i clicked that doug aldrich link

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by Crohny
i am getting REALLY tired of this ignorant shit on here. there are a bunch of metal acts that use les paul. high on fire...

**** some burst buckers. go higher out put with bare knuckles or some seymour dunan or try some other companies similar to bare knuckles.

Doesn't Matt Pike use a 9 string First Act?

Anyways, I agree harmonics are down to technique, but not 99.99%. More like, 70%.

The way you EQ and how much gain can make it A LOT easier and more pronounced as far as pinch harmonics go.
Quote by Tedward
Doesn't Matt Pike use a 9 string First Act?

Anyways, I agree harmonics are down to technique, but not 99.99%. More like, 70%.

The way you EQ and how much gain can make it A LOT easier and more pronounced as far as pinch harmonics go.

he did for DitC. On all the other albums he has used LPs. You dont see him with anything other than a LP or his First Act customs. Or not until he gets his custom Fisher if thats still being done.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by Crohny
dont ruin such a nice guitar with such ****ing pointless pick ups man. you can get some heavy sounds from over wound passives. actives are a ****ing gimmick. nothing more. dont be a tool like the idiot who said les pauls arent metal. if i was sober id still be angry. hahaha

I might not cuz my Parents said they'd get me a new guitar for my bday but not as expensive as my gibson so im thinking of This cuz thats mahogony AND has a floyd rose AND has emgs so I can keep the best of both tones, but i might go with a dimebucker in bridge and jazz in neck like dime cuz les paul tonally is similar to ML
Eh.
Quote by Himelnator
I might not cuz my Parents said they'd get me a new guitar for my bday but not as expensive as my gibson so im thinking of This cuz thats mahogony AND has a floyd rose AND has emgs so I can keep the best of both tones, but i might go with a dimebucker in bridge and jazz in neck like dime cuz les paul tonally is similar to ML
Dimbuckers won't give you Dime's tone, just so you know. Hell even if you had his exact amp and guitar, Dimebuckers won't give you his tone, they're just generic overwound ceramic humbuckers and reportedly very muddy. The only notable thing about them is the twin blade design is pretty nice for anyone who does a lot of bends or uses a vibrato a lot, but that's it.
Quote by MrFlibble
Dimbuckers won't give you Dime's tone, just so you know. Hell even if you had his exact amp and guitar, Dimebuckers won't give you his tone, they're just generic overwound ceramic humbuckers and reportedly very muddy. The only notable thing about them is the twin blade design is pretty nice for anyone who does a lot of bends or uses a vibrato a lot, but that's it.

I still don't understand why anyone would want Dime's tone...it was harsh and horrible. I can however understand why people would want to write and play like Dimebag...but his tone? No way.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Mastodon's Brent Hinds & Bill Kelliher play Les Pauls, SG's, Flying V's, Explorers. Metallica uses Les Pauls(watch youtube vids of Kurt & James. They are always using LP's in studio. )HOF's Matt Pike uses none other that a Les Paul. Les Paul's are killer heavy metal guitars in the right hands. Jeff Hanneman used to play a Les Paul. So many heavy metal bands use LP's.
Last edited by sonofmac at Mar 2, 2013,
This thread was like 3 years ago, man.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Bring out your dead!!
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.