Poll: Which?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which?
Mexican Fender Standard
16 55%
Squier Vintage Modified/Classic Vintage
13 45%
Voters: 29.
I need a new bass by Wednesday afternoon. More specifically a Fender bass (I'm not going into why again, I just do.) I'm struggling to find a home for my Schecter meaning I'll have to get either a 2nd hand MIM Fender or a high end Squier. Thing is, I've heard people say that the Vintage Modified and Classic Vintage Squiers are as good as, if not better, than the Mexican Standard Fender basses. I love the look of all the CV and VM Squiers and they play just as well as true Fenders. Am I missing something here? Or should I get a bass just as good but brand new and/or half the price?
I've played a few of the Squire Vintage series and they felt exceptional for the price. Personally, I'm wary of any Mexican made instruments, but that stems from personal experience.

IMO, go Vintage.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I'm going to say go with the Squier but I haven't tried either out recently..I've done one Side by Side Comparison of an American P Bass and A MIM P Bass to find the MIM p/u was very muddy. If you have the option of trying it out before you buy I would totally recommend it!
Schecter C-1+
Crestwood Strat Copy (Modded Single Humbucker)
OLP MM2
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ampeg B25B
Ampeg SVT 15e
RCG Doubleneck #1
I think that the MIMs that they've been making over the past ten years or so have been great guitars, especially the 60th anniversary guitars. I even got rid of one of my American strats and replaced it with a 60th anniversary because it was simply a better feeling and better sounding guitar. Same goes with their basses.

On the other hand I have yet to play a Squier that didn't feel like it was poorly made. I think that a MIM will probably retain more of its value than a Squier, too, which does make a difference if and when you want to trade up.
I think it's one of those "depends on the individual instrument" things. I've played terrible MIMs and I've played terrible Squiers (less common). I've also played Amazing MIMs (I own won I loved) and amazing Squiers (also bought one I loved).

If you have the chance to play before you buy, I feel it's a must. I found my MIM needed some work (a $20 setup) and played great, I own the Precision Deluxe, I eventually changed the electronics from active to passive and I couldn't love it more.

But, the Squier I owned, the VM J-Bass, I loved that bass so much. It was amazing. I wish I hadn't traded it in FOR the Fender I described above, but I love the Fender none the less.

Through my experience, I've loved them both. More of personal preference. Like I said, playing before hand is a must. Hope I helped!
Try adding more delay.
Really leaning towards the Squier ATM. Here's the deciding question: Whatever bass I get, it'll be my final bass so it'll get lots of upgrades over time. Can I get a graphite reinforced neck to fit the Squiers? Genuine Fender or otherwise I'll want one like the MIA Fenders have.
Quote by Spaz91
Really leaning towards the Squier ATM. Here's the deciding question: Whatever bass I get, it'll be my final bass so it'll get lots of upgrades over time. Can I get a graphite reinforced neck to fit the Squiers? Genuine Fender or otherwise I'll want one like the MIA Fenders have.

A little more information might help things. Frankly, if you're looking for a keeper bass that you'll be playing for a long time, I woulden't choose either of those. Why do you need it so quickly, why specifically Fender, and what's your budget? Have you considered looking at 2nd hand instruments? I know you said you didn't want to 'go through all that', but it would help in offering a recommendation.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
No basses I have played have ever played quite so well as a Jazz bass. Precision basses are good too. My account balance is £280 and I am tired of dealing with other people, buying something from shop comes with piece of mind (in the shape of a reciept and a warranty). I need it by Wednesday as my band has and audition for a festival then and I don't feel I can play my best on anything but a Fender (make of that what you will but its the truth.) Squiers and Fenders also have the benefit of being the 'standard' so there is never any trouble looking for replacement parts or upgrades.

Tone < playabilty.

A £250 bass with £500 of mods will sound far superior to a £750 bass anyway.

I think I'm fairly set on a Vintage Modified Jazz Bass now, unless someone wants to dive in at the last minute and stop me.
Quote by Spaz91
My account balance is £280 and I am tired of dealing with other people, buying something from shop comes with piece of mind (in the shape of a reciept and a warranty).

You can get 2nd hand instruments from shops with the same reciepts and warrenties, and get a better deal then buying new. I've had some great experiences buying 2nd hand gear, in fact my entire rig (except for my 4x10 cab) is 2nd hand.
Squiers and Fenders also have the benefit of being the 'standard' so there is never any trouble looking for replacement parts or upgrades.

That's only partially true. Generally speaking, as long as you don't have any odd hardware (for instance, on my Spector a replacement jack has to be a stereo barrel jack, which is difficult to find) replacement parts are generally easy to find for most major brands.

Tone < playabilty.

That's also partially true, you can have both if you shop around enough.

A £250 bass with £500 of mods will sound far superior to a £750 bass anyway.

At the end of the day, not so much. They can, but a $250 bass is going to have a $250 body, and the resonance of the wood in the body is a big part of where tone comes from. Given your budget, you won't have many options, but don't fool yourself into thinking it's more then it is. A '94 Buick is still a '94 Buick, no matter how much you put into the engine. It'll never be a Ferrari.

I think I'm fairly set on a Vintage Modified Jazz Bass now, unless someone wants to dive in at the last minute and stop me.

All things considered, I think either one of those basses will suit your purposes. I've already made my suggestion, but before you plunk down your cash, take a moment to play both and make sure it's the right decision for you.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Last edited by Garou1911 at Mar 8, 2010,
A Jazz bass is basically just an improved version of the Precision.

Jus´sayin.

Some say that the VM bridge is much better than the MiM, but that´s just personal preference though.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Im pretty sure VMs and MIMs both have standard necks. replacing them with the graphite reiforced one should be easy. I tihnk garou made a good point, no matter ho much modding a low end bss goes through its still gonna have a crap body, but then again your gonna put a new neck, new pups, new bridge ( im assuming), and whatever else.so that could make up for it.
Take your atk spaz, save up to 550 and buy the american standard on basschat. Their both good bass's the Vm and MIM but you want something for life get a really nice instrument. Get a loan of your parent,s wait for the schecter to sell, sure sell it for 250 and with your your 270 your 30 off the mark. Theirs a bacchus aswill on their.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Take your atk spaz, save up to 550 and buy the american standard on basschat. Their both good bass's the Vm and MIM but you want something for life get a really nice instrument. Get a loan of your parent,s wait for the schecter to sell, sure sell it for 250 and with your your 270 your 30 off the mark. Theirs a bacchus aswill on their.

I think time is his main concern considering he has an audition in 2 days. That's a great thought for the future, instead of spending the 500 in upgrades, put it twards a better quality instrument. Any time you mod an instrument, the biggest wall you'll hit is the quality of the instrument on it's own merit.

Mod a real MiA Fender, not a Sqiure/MiM. You'll just be wasting money for a lesser quality final product.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Well I popped round to the music shop, they didn't have much but I compared a MIM Standard Jazz to a James Johnson Classic Vibe Squier Jazz. I have to say, the Squier completely whooped the MIM. The only thing stopping me just buying it was the thick laquer on the neck making playing uncomfortable (its thinner on the VM series). In all honesty the MIM sounded crap (it wasn't the strings or the amp).
Unfortunately/fortunately the music shops I can get to in time do not stock the VMJ so it'd be after the gig, so I'm screwed in that respect.

As for the body being crap, the body is just a slab of wood, there isn't much to go wrong. The VM series are made from maple and the CV are made of basswood. The MIM are of course alder. They're all very transparent tonewoods and if maple is too soft a thick coat of nitrocellulose will do the trick.

As for the ATK, sold that.

As for saving up, save up what? I don't have a job nor the time required to hold a job.

I will find the Vintage Modified basses, play them and judge them. If they sound as good as the one I played before I will buy it. I'm also going to keep a look out for 2nd hand upgraded ones on BC marketplace.

Cheers for everyone's help.

One thing we all failed to mention is how damn sexy the Squier look.
Theirs 3 on basschat at the moment. But why not do the audition with the schecter and then really pushb for a sale. With your current balance and the money coming in from the schecter you could get the 09 MIA, fantastic bass. You say you want to put a graphite reinforced neck on this new bass, the chances of finding one are slim, theyve only been around for 2 years, the fender ones. And to get one built would be expensive.
What you want is a cheap bass with a load of nice things that has no resale value or anything.
Be patient this time and it will pay off.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Spaz91
As for the body being crap, the body is just a slab of wood, there isn't much to go wrong. The VM series are made from maple and the CV are made of basswood. The MIM are of course alder. They're all very transparent tonewoods and if maple is too soft a thick coat of nitrocellulose will do the trick.

*Shrug* It's your money, waste it as you see fit. I've already offered my thoughts.

Glad you were able to make the determination. Best of luck with the instrument and with your audition.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
^ but a good Squier is still a good Squier.

Spaz, you should really decide if you like maple or alder more, because if you end up modding it to all hell, all thats going to be left is the body wood and possibly the neck.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
If the neck is too glossy for you then you could rub some #0000 Steel wool on the beck, I would get the Squier. The CV/VM series IMO is better than a mexican.
The money I have, including the money I get from the Schecter has to last until June, I can't spend more than £300. Especially with a £60 train ticket to London on top...
Ive played both the squier VM Jazz and the MIM Jazz and I have to say, the Squier Pwns. Id rather have something a lower end company worked hard on than something a higher end company threw together.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Have you thought about other vintage style bass's. COrt make some good ones, a second hand rockbass or a corvette.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by jdrier21
hmm. a modified vintage modified.... how intriguing.

Yo dawg, we modified yo modified so you can groove while you groove
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
def go with the MiM fender. the vintage modified is is okay but it is not as good as the fender. unless you care about looks ... then get the vintage modified
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I have a 60th Anniversary Fender MIM Precision which I use as my one and only electric bass now. Solid sound and construction. Go for a MIM.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I played a lot of both when I was looking for a bass, and I found that the Squiers were more consistent in quality, and were just as good as most of the MIMs. However, I played a couple of MIM Jazz basses that were exceptionally good, and bought one of those. It might indicate that it's worth shopping around, or just that I was very lucky.

All 3 are decent quality instruments, but considering the prices, I'd say the Squiers might be a better choice.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt