Okay, so I've had a Gibson jj melody maker for awhile; pretty basic but good(i think) electric guitar. Recently I have been noticing that whenever I plug into any amp it makes this weird electrical hum and it is constant. I switch it to standby mode(on the guitar) and turn the volume on the guitar all the way down, and turn the volume on the amp up so I can make sure it's not the amp. Like i said I tried it with other amps so I doubt that it is the amplifiers. I plugged my Ibanez into the same amps and there was no problem. Any ideas? It's not the strings because I'm not even playing any notes when I hear the sound. Your help would be greatly appreciated
Sounds like the input jack isnt grounded, if your confident enough do it yourself if not take it to a tech.
Quote by JamesDouglas
Well menstruation does arouse me. That and mini pizza's.

Mmmmmmmmm, mini pizza's.....

Vypor wrote:

Who is MGMT? I hate it when UG only uses abbreviations, nobody on the outside can figure out wtf thier talking about.

Sounds like a wiring problem. Check to see if any of the guitar's wires are loose or not soldered. Like mentioned before, only repair the issue yourself if you feel confident you can do it.

check these 2 wires
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
bad ground or your pickups are too close to the strings...could also be your cable (9/10 it's the cables people use that are causing their guitar or amp to sound messed up )
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
yeah if you know how to solder its a really easy fix if its the input. doesn't take more than 10 or 15 minutes tops
+1 to probably a wiring/ground issue. Or maybe it could be just solved by some electrical contact cleaner on the jack and switch.

Moreover, as far as i know, Melody Makers have a single pickup, not humbucking and not even a p90, am i wrong? so the humming should always be noticeably higher..
Okay thanks for the info. I don't have any soldering equipment so I'll probably have to take it somewhere.
well just look first.

if the wire is off, all you'd need to do is go to a hardware store.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011