Page 1 of 2
Hey,
So I used to be in a hardcore band and into all that heavy music. I got a framus dragon head and 4x12 cab, as well as a mesa 2x12. I've started to play a lot of worship lead guitar as a result of no longer being in a band. My needs for an amp have changed.... although my framus sounds sick for worship/light stuff I just think its too powerful and I'm sick of lugging around a huge head case with my amp in it and a cab. So I am now searching for a boutique 2x12 combo with approximately 30 watts. I've been considering the following: Dr. Z, Savage, Goodsell, Vox AC30, Rivera, framus ruby riot, boger shiva(more wattage) or duende etc...

Anyone have any recommendations and/or experience with these kinds of amps?
No but I heard someone demoing one at the GC near me...someone on here has one though...I wanna say it is The Real Ming....let me double check.

EDIT: Yea, Ming has one, but he hasn't been online since Jan 31st. Personally though, I think it would be a great buy. What's your budget?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Mar 10, 2010,
Do you have a particular budget?

If I were you I would buy used. I've recently had alot of good experienced on www.thegearpage.net buying from members in the "Amp and Cab Emporium" as well as the "Guitar and Instrument Emporium". I don't think I'll ever buy new again. I just bought a Les Paul Traditional on there for $1500 which is well below the list price. Plus the people in the Amp Emporium have some great boutique stuff.

I've played a Bogner Shiva extensively and it wasn't one of my favorite amps. Neither were Dr. Zs. If you like a certain midrangey sound an AC30 is a great amp -- is basically the go-to amp for alot of Indie music. If your budget permits it I'd say look at a Badcat Black Cat. It's 30 watts and it's fairly boutique sounding, being loosely based off a Matchless design.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Vox AC30 is a good amp that will suit your needs quite well.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Oh yeah, Absolutely buy used. Buying new is ridiculous these days. I haven't boughten anything "new" in years. My budget is whatever I can get for my framus rig, which should hopefully be pretty high. I'm guessing around 2 grand. So anything under that is fair game... ahhh yes bad cat. I forgot to mention those. I'll have to check that one out. Thanks for your input!

I'm really looking for a great base tone. clean to gritty crunch. Something that can be flavored well with an assortment of pedals.
Do you have a preference about single channel versus multiple channels?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
Do you have a preference about single channel versus multiple channels?

No, not necessarily.
I found an AC30 on thegearpage for well within your budget if you're interested. I'll keep looking though. Here's the link

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=684732
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

VOX AC30 is a definite one. For flexibility maybe an Egnater rebel 30, they have a dial with selectable wattage so you can cater for OD in any situation. especially i assume a small church. I'm looking into one myself for that reason
Red Iron Amps?
Beautiful little things and they sound as good as they look IMO (going from the clips, since they're an american company I can't try them out).
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Red Iron Amps?
Beautiful little things and they sound as good as they look IMO (going from the clips, since they're an american company I can't try them out).

QFT. handmade in texas with awesome looking cabs. sounds like the best twin you've never heard.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
OHhhhhhh, definitely check out Bad Cats too...can't believe I forgot them.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Cholas
When I think worship music, I wouldn't be thinking AC30. To me it has too much bite, too much growl.

But hey, I've never communicated with your God, I don't know his taste in tone.

Hahah I understand your position. I play upbeat music with full band and often more ambient styled songs so a good bite is just fine with me. My framus has tons of bite.
Epiphone Valve Senior? Demo one and see what u think.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by schecterman09
Hahah I understand your position. I play upbeat music with full band and often more ambient styled songs so a good bite is just fine with me. My framus has tons of bite.

Haha no worries then. I just expected to see people suggesting things like Fenders with their shimmering cleans or even Dual Rectifiers with their big fat cleans [that I really like, even if nobody else does], so yeah I read this thread while making noises like Scooby Doo when he's confused.
I will be playing at my church too, and decided on the AC15CC1X. I will be getting it early in April.

I was searching around the net, looking for 'the best amp for praise and worship', and VOX 15 watts was the most frequent recommendation due to volume issues.

Reasons that were given to select that amp:

Most Churches have strict limits on volume, and frequently want the guitar amp facing back at the band, and not the congregation.

15 watts is plenty loud for any Church, especially with the room acoustics.

That amp has a master volume, to help control your volume, and will allow you to point it at the congregation if you prefer.

With it being 15 watts, if you do want some tube distortion, it will be there without the need to offend.

It has outstanding cleans, which is the most important factor in praise music.

The AC15CC1X is stock with a 12" Celestion Alnico Blue speaker. The king of clean.

Portability, and I believe (1) 12" speaker will be plenty!

I am sold already...
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Mar 10, 2010,
Quote by Cholas
When I think worship music, I wouldn't be thinking AC30. To me it has too much bite, too much growl.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. Most worship bands use Vox/British flavored amps, specifically AC30s. They are very harmonically rich (especially the top boost) and have the right amount of mid hump. Take Hillsong for example: they're main sound is a Gretsch through a Vox. Also Tubescreamers and a .8th note delay are a must.

But everyone has their own style. IMO boutique is the way to go. Boutique amps with the right amount of Vox-iness, such as Matchless, are great if you can afford them. If not, an AC30/AC15 will do. Just be wary of the Custom Classic series; they are notorious for breaking down. Vox just came out with a new line of AC15/30s called the Custom series (not Custom Classic). They are cheaper than the CCs and they come with a Celestion Greenback, unlike the CCs which come with either a Wharfedale or an Alnico blue. The alnico speaker is a must have upgrade with any Vox amp. If you don't want to pay for a blue, try the Eminence Red Fang.
Well the sound of Chris Tomlin and Hillsong United is pretty much an AC30 and an overdrive pedal with delay and reverb. Daniel Carson uses a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and a Xotic AC booster. The Hillsong crowd gravitate towards tubescreamer-style pedals, but the lead guitarist has a Jekyll and Hyde which I assume is for the thicker dirt. My point is that Vox-style amps are usually go to for this kind of thing. David Crowder Band people have used AC30s but I'm seeing Bad Cat lately. I've also seen these people use Fender, Goodsell, Mesa Boogie, Marshall, etc. I guess I missed my own point. Vox is a great place to look but still try other amps.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
The issue was that they were made in China !

The AC30 CCs tend to fare better than the AC15s. It was supposedly just the first batch they put out. Most of the ones I've played sound decent and look pretty well built too. They sound even better when you do the bright cap mod (essential for everyone!).
My Gear
Feel free to PM me any questions concerning any posts I make!
I'm definitely into Hillsong and the Daniel Carlson's tone for CT so I'm thinking the AC30 might be the best bet. I'm also really into the Glorious Unseen--one of my favorite bands. I think they use bad cat or dr.z at least one of the guitar players did when I played a show with them.
For church purposes, I really like bigger fenders. My personal favorite would probably be a Vibro King - all the features you need for a church gig, no weird ones like separate channels or high gain distortion you'll never use. The cleans are just plain to die for. Plus they're wired right, which is not true of a lot fenders these days.

An old Super Reverb would be great too. You could move down to a Deluxe or up to a Twin depending on volume needs.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Being a sound tech for a local church, (second largest in Houston area, if that helps) I work with a bunch of bands coming to play. Our youth group plays on a Fender Deluxe Reverb (well, two of them for larger gigs or wet/dry stuff) and most of the bands coming in play on AC30's and Bad Cats mostly. Just make sure they have a plexiglass shield if it's facing the audience, or turn it around.

I know Kristian Stanfill uses an AC30, same with Article One if you're familiar with them.
I use an AC4 at church, I play clean and the volume is usually on about one, haha. We play with keyboard, drums, bass, and vocals too.

If I were you, I would go for an even smaller amp if your problem is lugging your stack around.
(A 2x12 combo isn't much better).

Check out some of the low watt tube amps, I can recommend the AC4. But if I had the cash I'd def look at a AC15.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Dude just get a 5150 and run up in there like " Hai gyez I plaiz teh brutalz fer Jeezus at chruch!"

They'll completely understand.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by tr3nt
I use an AC4 at church, I play clean and the volume is usually on about one, haha. We play with keyboard, drums, bass, and vocals too.

If I were you, I would go for an even smaller amp if your problem is lugging your stack around.
(A 2x12 combo isn't much better).

Check out some of the low watt tube amps, I can recommend the AC4. But if I had the cash I'd def look at a AC15.

That's true, the 212 AC30 is over 70 pounds...

It works for me cuz I don't need to lug my amp around, but 112 is probably enough power for most church gigs. You may also want to check into the Vox Nightrain. It's a lunch box sized amp that sounds pretty close to the AC series. The AC4 is nice too, but that thing is just too small for my tastes.
My Gear
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Dude just get a 5150 and run up in there like " Hai gyez I plaiz teh brutalz fer Jeezus at chruch!"

I had a Rivera I boosted (It could do Metallica-like metal on its owns) to play Hillsong. I even brought my old 7th and riffed on the B. Anyway, it depends on the place's rules and songs.

Personally, I'd go for something like this if I ever did a "modern" like gospel band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8sCMVLWU_0

PS: Go for the Vox AC30, but be sure to check out other amplifiers too. There's Riveras, Mesa Nomads, old Fenders you can transboost and mix with reverb and delay; just in case something makes your spine shiver for a lesser amount of money or maybe more but it seems worth it to you.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
if you want an AC30/15 flavoured amp, you'd be better off at looking t boutique clones like the Valvetech Hayseed 30, a Badcat, JMI, etc. Dollar for dollar, i find that the Vox's CC series are the worst value.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
You mentioned being into Hillsong, idk if its what you're looking for but I know they use a Fender Bassman and the other guitarist uses a Mesa Dual Rectifier. As said before the AC30 is probably your best bet. I know you said that the Dragon was alot to carry around but you might to check out the Egnater Tourmaster. I use that for worship stuff and it is just amazing and extremely versatile.
Quote by Jhachey22
if you want an AC30/15 flavoured amp, you'd be better off at looking t boutique clones like the Valvetech Hayseed 30, a Badcat, JMI, etc. Dollar for dollar, i find that the Vox's CC series are the worst value.

Agreed. Vox clones are definitely the way to go (if you can afford boutique). But you can get CCs used at pretty good prices sometimes.
My Gear
I've played on about 4 different worship teams. and I've seen another 20 play. most Pro worship teams use one of these amps:

Vox AC-30s
Mesa Lonestars
Mesa DC series are some what popular
JCM series amps are somewhat popular
I've also seen Plexi's everyone in a while

give me an idea of the worship bands tones you''re looking for

If you have money. and you're playing "popular" worship music I suggest Bad Cat or Dr. Z all the way.

but I also LOVE Plexish amps for worship stuff

Quote by nodurquack
You mentioned being into Hillsong, idk if its what you're looking for but I know they use a Fender Bassman and the other guitarist uses a Mesa Dual Rectifier. As said before the AC30 is probably your best bet. I know you said that the Dragon was alot to carry around but you might to check out the Egnater Tourmaster. I use that for worship stuff and it is just amazing and extremely versatile.

No.

Hillsong's guys use a Mesa Nomad with EL34's (I THINK It might be 6L6's) and a AC30.

From hillsongs Website:

Quote by Hillsong

Gear time...
For those who care here is a rough list of what we are using at the moment...

Jad

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (2001)
Fender Strat Plus (1992)
Gibson Songwriter Deluxe

Amps:
Mesa Nomad 55W
Marshall 1960's A Cab
1974 Fender Twin Reverb

Pedals:
MXR "MicroAmp"
MXR "Dynacomp"
Dunlop "Original Wah"
Voodoo Labs "Sparkle Drive"
Ibanez "Tube Screamer TS9"
Ibanez "Tube Screamer TS9"
Rocktron "Hush"
Ernie Ball "VP Jnr"
Boss "TU2" Tuner
Boss "DD5" Delay (Triplet)
Boss "DD5" Delay (Quarter Note)
Dunlop "Tremolo"
Zvex "Super Hard-on"
2x Custom Audio Japan power supply

Patch cables: George L
Line Cables: Canare

Stuff Michael is currently using

Guitars:
Gretsch White Falcon
Gretsch Black Peguin

Amps:
Vox AC30 (1962) pre top boost
Goodsell 33watt
Vox AC30 (90s re-issue)
Goodsell 17watt combo

Pedals:
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Keeley compressor
Boss TU2 Tuner
Boss DD5 Delay
Boss DM2 Delay (covered in grey with a knob as a dice, Michael got given this when he was 12, it has been through alot)
Ibanez Tube Screamer 808
Z-vex Fuzz Factory
Z-vex Super Hard-On
Cusack Tap-a-Whirl (tap tempo tremolo)
Cusack Fuzz Screamer
Divided By 13 Joyride
Visual Sound Jekyall and Hyde
MXR Blue Box
Rocktron Hush

Patch Cables by: George L

Michael powers everything with the Visual Sound's "1-spot" he uses 2 for his pedal board

The True Bypass strip at the very front of his board was made by "loooper"

Michael uses many other pedals when recording in the studio but the list above consists of pedals he uses on a regular basis.

Matt Tennikoff (Bass)

Musicman Stingray 5
Fender Jazz 4

Amp Live:
Ampeg SVT Classic + 8x10

MARCUS BEAUMONT
Guitars:

GIBSON '59 Re-Issue Les Paul
FENDER '62 Re-Issue Custom Tele (Japan)
FENDER 1996 American Strat with Antiquity's
TAYLOR 2001 614CE

amps:

VOX AC30TB Top Boost (1996)
MESA Dual Rectifier Head (1994) 2 Channel model
R.A.W. Celestion Vintage 30 Quad

pedals:

IBANEZ TS-808 Tubescreamer
IBANEZ TS-9 Tubescreamer
BIXONIC Expandora (original model)
VOX 847 Wah
BOSS DM-2 Analog Delay
LINE 6 Echo Park
LINE 6 DL-4 Delay Modeler (back up)
DUNLOP TS-1 Stereo Tremolo
ERNIE BALL 6166 Volume
DIGITECH Whammy
VOODOO LABS Pedal Power 2
KORG DT-7
EBOW Original

PERSONALLY my ideal rig for a worship set would look something like this:
Vox AC30
Mesa Nomad
Marshall JCM800

Run a butt load of cool pedals through them and you have awesomness
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Mar 11, 2010,
Quote by ConfederateAxe

For the record I know a guy who runs a XXX Cranked in the back
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I saw a guy bring a Bogner amp and the other guy bring a Goodsell amp in this band one time. I dunno what Bogner model, but it was a read head (they used heads with cabs into isolation cabs). My church likes isolation cabs to prevent microphone bleed (our amps are crap though...).
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
i agree heads and isolation cabs are really good for churches
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
*Reads the Hillsong gear list*

Wow... and all this time I thought Christians were supposed to be humble and help their fellow man... not blow a ton of money on gear and use it to make more money by treating their God as a product.
Quote by Cholas
*Reads the Hillsong gear list*

Wow... and all this time I thought Christians were supposed to be humble and help their fellow man... not blow a ton of money on gear and use it to make more money by treating their God as a product.

Not cool dude. They do help. They are Christians and believe that serving others and God is important but they are still artists who desire quality gear to get good tone. Not saying cheaper gear and fewer pedals would sound worse, but the music they write would honestly sound weird without those pedals and tones going on. I'm a bit tired of that 'strat into a Fender amp with some chorus stompbox and strumming open chords' vibe. That phase of CCM during the 90s was SO cheesy. If you're gonna play for God why not put forth the effort to sound good?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
Not cool dude. They do help. They are Christians and believe that serving others and God is important but they are still artists who desire quality gear to get good tone. Not saying cheaper gear and fewer pedals would sound worse, but the music they write would honestly sound weird without those pedals and tones going on. I'm a bit tired of that 'strat into a Fender amp with some chorus stompbox and strumming open chords' vibe. That phase of CCM during the 90s was SO cheesy. If you're gonna play for God why not put forth the effort to sound good?

+ INFINITY!!!!!!!!

Christian music is not just a slouch anymore. like it or not some of the best guitarists in the world today are christian.

we're not starting this argument though....so *reported*
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Page 1 of 2