just a quick question. what's better of these two?
squier standard stratocaster or squier affinity stratocaster?
standard=agathis wood
affinity=alder wood
i heard alder is better, but then why is the standard series more expensive? (if it's the pickups, dont mind them, they are of no concern to me)
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
amp doesn't matter :P
Quality really.

I'd go for the Standard as it will be a better quality and standard of guitar compared to the Affinity.
Although if you were going Squier i'd recommend the Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified series.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
The Affinity series by far. They are better than the standards and bullets, but nowhere near as good as the Classic Vibe's or whatever they're called.

A lot of Squiers are hit and miss though, so if you plan on getting one definately try out a few before making your choice

EDIT: ^^Way to totally contradict my post
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
ye im thinking classic vibe too, but its 2x the price of the affinity strat.
for that money i could get new pickups(some noiseless ones?)
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
Quote by Nesha Strah
ye im thinking classic vibe too, but its 2x the price of the affinity strat.
for that money i could get new pickups(some noiseless ones?)

A Classic Vibe strat is the closest you can get to a Fender MIM Strat without actually buying a MIM strat.

EDIT: And new pickups wouldnt do anything until you get a better amp.
New, the differences would be very slight; however, both would be decent platforms for launching mods down the road.

I'm not familiar with the Used market there; but, if you can get Used for cheaper, it may be the best way to go for you.

I know you can replace the Affinity bridge with the MIM Fender bridge from 2007 or later - beefier trem block and the 6 screw holes will line up. Then replace the cheap plastic nut with Bone or something man-made, but better. Shield all the cavities and PG and covers. Update the pots and switch with something better (very cheap). You can have a beast, specially through a decent amp.

Alder is better than agathis. Agathis is a fancy way to say plywood
Do yourself a favor, if you can't afford an American strat than get yourself MIM (made in mexico) strat. Stay away from anything squier unless your an absolute beginner and by absolute beginner I mean never touched a guitar before.
Quote by Zimwibwe
Do yourself a favor, if you can't afford an American strat than get yourself MIM (made in mexico) strat. Stay away from anything squier unless your an absolute beginner and by absolute beginner I mean never touched a guitar before.
No.

Quote by Zimwibwe
Stay away from anything squier unless your an absolute beginner and by absolute beginner I mean never touched a guitar before.
Have you not tried a mid-high end Squier?

Get off the bandwagon.
Quote by Zimwibwe

Did you ever play a Squier from the 80's?

One word - delicious
you don't care about pickups??? you care more about wood than pickups??? woods important but you can't ignore pups
Quote by Zimwibwe

Why would you even offer advice when you clearly have no idea what you are talking about? Agathis isn't plywood. Its a species of trees, also known as Kauri. And Squire's are probably some of the best beginner guitars out there. Good price. good quality, and good selection.
Quote by salgala2000
you don't care about pickups??? you care more about wood than pickups??? woods important but you can't ignore pups

Pickups are only a big factor if you have a good amp.

I could put $200 pickups in my Squier but it wont make a difference through my cheap modeling amp.
Quote by salgala2000

pickups are upgradable.

body woods aren't.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Ippon
New, the differences would be very slight; however, both would be decent platforms for launching mods down the road.

I'm not familiar with the Used market there; but, if you can get Used for cheaper, it may be the best way to go for you.

I know you can replace the Affinity bridge with the MIM Fender bridge from 2007 or later - beefier trem block and the 6 screw holes will line up. Then replace the cheap plastic nut with Bone or something man-made, but better. Shield all the cavities and PG and covers. Update the pots and switch with something better (very cheap). You can have a beast, specially through a decent amp.

thanks, very helpful

Quote by Chrisiphone
pickups are upgradable.

body woods aren't.

this man knows what i'm talking about

but no one answered my question...
Why is standard more expensive than affinity despite the lower quality wood?
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
Neither has 'worse' wood, they're just different. AFAIK, the hardware on the two models is different, and that + the different wood mean a difference in price.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Mar 13, 2010,
Seriously, too much snobbery around.

I only just played an Affinity at my local shop yesterday.
It had a great neck and sounded pretty damn good.

I would happily buy a tele and mod it.
Out of the 2 Squier model's, the Standard is the better model. They cost about $50.00 dollors more on average .

The main differance other than the type of wood and the pup's, is the quality of the hardware. The Standard has better tuners and a better bridge than the Affinity.

I played both side by side back and forth before I purchased my Standard Fat Strat.They neck's both played similar and looked about the same,but I opted for the Standard because of the better hardware.

I did'nt have the extra capitol to get an American or Mexican Strat and opted for a Squier. In my opinion,the Squiers played just as nice as the lower priced Fender's.The biggest differance ,again, is the quality of the equipment installed in the guitars.

In the end it's up to you.As stated previously,the quality of Squiers are basically good.But there are some lemon's as well as some very nice axes.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
Quote by Ippon
True, the MIJ JV and SQ series, along with the MIK ProTone ('96 - '98) are very good and collectibles.

This is whole thing is true.

Bolded part: I just picked up a ProTone Strat earlier this week. White, red pickguard, whammy bar (Which holds tune quite well for not being set up), 5 way selector, three single coils. Dear god this guitar is fantastic. No wonder they've been discontinued, mine plays better than most high end MIM's, and some MIA's. I was skeptical when i heard people say this, especially about a squier, but believe it! This is my favorite, after four days. And I only paid $350.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Look, the best Squiers are the more expensive ones. You know, the Classic vibes and the VM's.

The CV's are as good if not better than the MIM Fenders save for the bridge (which can be replaced very easily with a screwdriver and $40.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ah finally some answers
well if this is the case with them series, ill save some money and get a classic vibe (50's rock on!!!!)
thanks for the help
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
Quote by silly hats
Seriously, too much snobbery around.

I only just played an Affinity at my local shop yesterday.
It had a great neck and sounded pretty damn good.

I would happily buy a tele and mod it.

It must be me, but I always loved Squier necks more than normal Fender necks, they always seemed sticky to me. (or it's because too many people jerk off on Fender necks?)
Man I'm glad you are saving for a Classic Vibe, I have a CV Duo Sonic and I can't stop playing it. Best Squier I've ever played for sure, a fantastic budget guitar. Next in my sights is the CV Thinline!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R