Page 3 of 5
I meant damaging the wiring or something.
the guy at radioshack was like "don't build it like that! Its bad to short out anything." The way he said do it gives the dreaded unplugged guitar noise though, so he wasn't right....I just want to know if it could damage the wiring.
Last edited by Mushieknot at Oct 4, 2010,
no, it's fine to build it like that. It shouldn't give you that noise, and no, it can't damage the wiring.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Ok so I am going to add a button type switch into my Hellraiser. I have a few questions/concerns. First off, will it mess with me tone at all, just having it there? Second, I think I am going to drill out a section between the battery cover and the main cover, so that the button is in a more ideal spot on the guitar. With that, Ive heard that removing wood from your guitar can lead to a lack of sustain, tone, etc. Any help?
MY GEAR
Schecter Hellraiser mod
w/ killswitch
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Vox VT-30
Hardwire DL-8
Boss NS-2
Korg Pitchblack
Hardwire RV-7
The only way I can see it affecting tone is the tiny amount of resistance and inductance that the extra wire will have. Even then, you have to a superhuman audio analyzer to notice anything. So no, it won't affect tone.

Assuming you don't remove like half of the guitar's wood, you'll be fine. Fitting space for one switch will not audibly change anything in your tone/sustain.
alright cool, I think im going to make a video of the process, for those interested.
MY GEAR
Schecter Hellraiser mod
w/ killswitch
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Vox VT-30
Hardwire DL-8
Boss NS-2
Korg Pitchblack
Hardwire RV-7
First of all i wanna thank you for putting that much effort into this thread... very helpful it is!

But i got a specific question nonetheless:
I got an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with the EMG Zakk Wylde Set installed (-> 2x Vol and 2x Tone).
Now i want to change the setup to 2x Vol, 1x Tone, + Killswitch.

The diagram for the setup (without the killswitch) would then be as follows:

Now my plan is to just add the killswitch without changing the original EMG parts (which wouldnt be too easy due to the solderless system provided by EMG).

Now i thought of 2 ways to get this done:

or

Now the questions: Will it work this way? If so: Which of the two methods would you recommend? Is there anything else to be considered when installing a killswitch in combination with active pickups?

Help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by daFat at Dec 13, 2010,
all you have to do is connect the hot and gnd of the jack when the switch is pressed.

either of those will work jsut the same. you can also wire it across the tip and sleeve of the jack.
Just a little input:

Today i installed a killswitch as shown in the first diagram of my previous post. Result: works absolutely flawless.
Got a slight 'pop'-sound when using in Clean channel though - but no problem when using lots of distortion. And hell, you won't get EMGs when you wanna use Clean sounds, right?

So installing a killswitch on a 'solderless' EMG-system is very easy...

Feel free to add my diagram to the starting posts of this thread if you want.
Quote by daFat
Got a slight 'pop'-sound when using in Clean channel though - but no problem when using lots of distortion.

Solution is on the first page, just wire in one little resistor.

Quote by james4
Earlier, I mentioned putting a high value resistor between the lugs of the switch, if you have problems with popping when using the switch.

First of all, get your hands on a very high resistance resistor. Usually, you can find a 2M2 (2.2Meg, or 2200000 ohms) resistor fairly easily, at almost anywhere that sells electronic components.
in a little while, I (or anyone else, if you want to volunteer) can play around with different resistor values to see how low (resistance-wise) you can go, but ..if the value you use is too low, you'll experience some treble and volume loss, which is never nice.

Anyway, all you need to do is put the resistor between the two lugs of the switch you used.
It should be pretty straight forward, but heres a diagram if you really don't know what I'm talking about:

If space is an issue, you can put the resistor between the lugs of the output jack, instead of the switch.
It'll have the exact same effect, it's just another option you have..
So guys, quick question.
I have EMG 81 wired directly to output, like this:

And I wan't to add a killswitch (not able to cary killswitch pedal on every gig/rehersal) like this:

Toggle that I have is:

I thing it is on/off.

Will that wiring work (just with toggle)?
Little demons make your eyes turn silver, you freak!
yep, it'll work just fine

I doubt that the switch you have is on/off, since it's got 2 throws..but it'll still work just fine. I'm thinking it's on/on. it's just 2 positions, right?

wire the middle and right lugs (or middle and left, it doesn't matter if it's on/on) like the two lugs in the momentary button switch diagram you posted
yup, it's two position toggle with three lugs. ok, will try that tomorrow ( and add resistor if needed)

tnx alot

edit: do I need to ground the toggle with bridge ground wire? it will have plastic tip
Last edited by SinSkinner at Dec 21, 2010,
As far as the resistor values to stop the pop bit...
I build a lot of pedals. When stomping on the pedal to turn it on, you may get a pop.
To stop this you run a resistor from effect output hot to ground.
This is similar to the one mentioned up above.

Resistors for this purpose, I have seen values from 470k to 5 megs.
I find 1Meg or 1.5Meg to do just fine for most cases.
I don't know if these values will work, but they do fine for pedals.

You don't really need to ground the switch. But It wouldn't hurt.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 21, 2010,
Well, I'll put 2.2M res if there is pop sound.
And for grounding, in case of buzz I'll ground it. Otherwise, as I mentioned, it will have plastic tip.

Edit: Working like a charm. Without resistor. Nice. Thanks everybody
Last edited by SinSkinner at Dec 22, 2010,
http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb451/sammo_boi/

Here's my two guitars both with killswitches. The red ESP is the perfect example of how not to do it. I tried making the hole bigger with a huge drill piece and it took a big chunk out of the finish. Definitely use a small drill bit and run it round the out side of the hole to make it bigger. Or a file.

The other is my black Ibanez RG7321. This is a square momentary switch so I had to sand out the existing tone pot hole into a square. Wrapping sand paper around a nail file or icy-pole stick does the trick. This switch is much easier to use than the bigger arcade one. $1 from dicksmiths here in AUS

For both I solder to the middle lug of the volume and the ground of the pot casing. Works perfectly.

Feel free to use any of the pics on frontpage
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb451/sammo_boi/

Here's my two guitars both with killswitches. The red ESP is the perfect example of how not to do it. I tried making the hole bigger with a huge drill piece and it took a big chunk out of the finish. Definitely use a small drill bit and run it round the out side of the hole to make it bigger. Or a file.

The other is my black Ibanez RG7321. This is a square momentary switch so I had to sand out the existing tone pot hole into a square. Wrapping sand paper around a nail file or icy-pole stick does the trick. This switch is much easier to use than the bigger arcade one. $1 from dicksmiths here in AUS

For both I solder to the middle lug of the volume and the ground of the pot casing. Works perfectly.

Feel free to use any of the pics on frontpage

added to the first page
How would I wire a killswitch before all the tone/volume pots in my SG? I want to make this operation as simple as possible!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
ok, i have read through the thread, and haven't found any information on my question, so please don't maim me because i am asking this.

how would i wire a killswitch just to kill one pickup? my summer guitar build has a plan of 3 pickups (hum phat-cat hum) and i want to be able to kill the phat-cat at will.
to make things more difficult, i also want to wire the hum's oop, which i want to be able to disengage as well.

this will be my first guitar build, so sorry if this is a noobish question
Okay, I looked through the entire old killswitch thread and couldn't find my answer, so here's my question: I have an SPST switch with two, lugs/metal things/whatever they are, and I was planning on wiring it to my neck pup's volume pot. Now my question is, what contacts on the volume pot should I solder to the killswitch? the two outer, one middle and one outer? Please help and sorry if this was already answered, as I said, I looked through the old thread for about an hour.
The problem i have with my killswitch is that it has to be pushed in far pretty hard to cut. It'd be fun to have one that doesn't require much force to accurately cut the sound. My killswitch is simply in the place of the 2nd tone pot (wired the other tone to a master tone). I don't want to drill a hole or do any irreversible mods.

Anybody tried these ?

From the seller:

the diameter of the thread part is: 12mm
the total length is: 24mm
the max. diameter is: 19mm
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
i grabbed this LED switch from radioshack on a whim it's got power on one lug, ACC on the middle and ground on the third. in order for it to be illuminated can i splice the hot wire in my guitar to go to both the power and ACC then connect the ground? or do i have to hook up an external power source?
Hi guys can you please link me to a switch which is red and is like buckethead so it doesnt click and stay in one position it is always on but when you press it it cuts the signal and goes silent and when you let go it lets the signal through a again cos im going for a buckethead kinda thing thanks in advance
Quote by Ammars scared
Hi guys can you please link me to a switch which is red and is like buckethead so it doesnt click and stay in one position it is always on but when you press it it cuts the signal and goes silent and when you let go it lets the signal through a again cos im going for a buckethead kinda thing thanks in advance

you can get some at radio shack and its called a momentary switch.
HI guys

Anyone can help me in doubt, i wanted to implement a killswitch on my stratocaster (push button NO), but as only gives sound to the press, I wanted to use a DPDT or SPDT switch to select, where a DPDT position would DPDT normal sound of the guitar, and another position for the push button..

I want to use both, I would like to use a DPDT or SPDT with connection button (killswitch), which SPDT or DPDT would be a key switch to push button..

Thx
Quote by rmix
HI guys

Anyone can help me in doubt, i wanted to implement a killswitch on my stratocaster (push button NO), but as only gives sound to the press, I wanted to use a DPDT or SPDT switch to select, where a DPDT position would DPDT normal sound of the guitar, and another position for the push button..

I want to use both, I would like to use a DPDT or SPDT with connection button (killswitch), which SPDT or DPDT would be a key switch to push button..

Thx

your wording is super hard to understand, so I'm not sure if I know what you mean..
it kind of sounds like something that's been brought up before though, let me know if this is correct:

you want two switches, one is a latching switch and the other is momentary. lets call the latching one 'switch 1', and the momentary one 'switch 2'

when switch 1 is in one position, switch 2 does nothing when pressed and the guitar signal gets sent to the output as usual.
but with switch 1 in the other position, the signal cuts out, and you only hear sound with switch 2 pressed down?

is that what you were getting at? if so, it's doable for sure
I'm sorry, but I use google translator -.-

Yes, that's right!

I'll have a drawing of what I want, I hope you understand

(Invalid img)
hey i remember seeing a question brought up but i dont remember seeing any answer and its what i want to do, so can i please get some help here? i want a 3 position switch wired on-OFF-on on a strat with 1 volume, 2 tones. The switch i have is this one: http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-3-Position-On-Off-On-DPDT-Mini-Switch-424667-i1134702.gc
how should i wire this up? and yes, i really do need the 3 positions
Call me walrus! Or latte!

Gear:
Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG
G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top
Fender Lonestar Deluxe Reissue (MIM, Texas Specials and Pearly Gates HB)
ZOOM G5
Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive
Quote by rmix

Yes, that's right!

(Invalid img)

if it is possible to implement a SPDT instead of a DPDT
Quote by rmix

Quote by rmix

Yes, that's right!

(Invalid img)

if it is possible to implement a SPDT instead of a DPDT

no problem, your post was clear enough that I mostly knew what you meant

yep, that's totally possible. and you can use a SPDT if you like. I'll draw a diagram for you in just a second
Quote by wahalrus
hey i remember seeing a question brought up but i dont remember seeing any answer and its what i want to do, so can i please get some help here? i want a 3 position switch wired on-OFF-on on a strat with 1 volume, 2 tones. The switch i have is this one: http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-3-Position-On-Off-On-DPDT-Mini-Switch-424667-i1134702.gc
how should i wire this up? and yes, i really do need the 3 positions

an on/off/on switch isn't exactly ideal for a killswitch, unless you wire it to be nosound/sound/nosound.

the way you'd wire it to be on/off/on would be pretty buzzy and not useful unfortunately
rmix, here you go:

as the diagram says, the upper wire gets soldered to the tip lug of the output jack, and the other one gets grounded to the sleeve lug
the rest of the guitar stays wired as usual
Quote by james4
an on/off/on switch isn't exactly ideal for a killswitch, unless you wire it to be nosound/sound/nosound.

the way you'd wire it to be on/off/on would be pretty buzzy and not useful unfortunately

No, i need it to be on/off/on because i have a tendency to do huge arm movements A LOT and accidentally turn my guitar off while playing. I have tried button killswitches before, but I just like the feel of a toggle better. I thought of this solution, so that if I accidentally hit the switch while playing, it'd just go from on to on again and no one would hear anything different.

Gear:
ZOOM G5
Quote by wahalrus
No, i need it to be on/off/on because i have a tendency to do huge arm movements A LOT and accidentally turn my guitar off while playing. I have tried button killswitches before, but I just like the feel of a toggle better. I thought of this solution, so that if I accidentally hit the switch while playing, it'd just go from on to on again and no one would hear anything different.

it just isn't doable..

pick up an on/on/on switch, and you could wire it to act as on/off/on though
Quote by james4
it just isn't doable..

pick up an on/on/on switch, and you could wire it to act as on/off/on though

Ok, that's what I will do. Do you have any switch recommendations/wiring diagrams? They would be really helpful as I am not very good at this kind of things. I bought all my previous guitars with the killswitches already installed.

Gear:
ZOOM G5
Quote by wahalrus
Ok, that's what I will do. Do you have any switch recommendations/wiring diagrams? They would be really helpful as I am not very good at this kind of things. I bought all my previous guitars with the killswitches already installed.

as far as switches, any DPDT on/on/on should work..some are more reliable than others, but for an application like this you should be good with almost anything

if you have a radio shack or something nearby, whatever they carry will work..otherwise I'd point you towards somewhere like smallbear.. this one should do well

as for wiring, to save me drawing up a diagram I'll try to write it out:

looking at the bottom of the switch, imagine each of the lugs are labelled like this-

Do I need to disconnect any wires from the output jack? Or do I just solder these 3 wires on without removing anything?

Gear:
ZOOM G5
Quote by wahalrus
Do I need to disconnect any wires from the output jack? Or do I just solder these 3 wires on without removing anything?

yep, just leave the two wires that already go to the jack, and add on the extra new wires

let me know if you need anything else cleared up as well
Sorry if I'm starting to sound annoying, but what would you recommend for cutting pickguards? The guitar I'm adding the killswitch to is a strat.

Gear:
ZOOM G5