searched but didnt find much!

my mate's bass truss rod needs some tightening i saw it today and the truss rod was from the headstock side but it was not like ordinary guitar rod?!? i mean should i use to tighten it??! not an Allen wench as on my strat??!!

im not a bassist im a guitarist but i do setups on guitars and id like to know about basses too...??

EDIT: ok so here's the post in the bottom of the thread. i thought many ppl won't read all thru the thread so i'll post it here too

ok guys errm sorry for the necrobump may be but i realise this belongs to the same thread as it's with the bass iwas talking about

so finally i took it from my friend to fix the neck:
first it had a pad my friend put to rise the neck. in the neck pocket of the body. i so i removed it and got the neck back screwed to the body again

the trussrod hole was erally raelly tiny but after trying a small allen wrench ive found out that it's actually some kinda wood or something stuck there! so i cleaned it with a needle-type of thing and found that it's the same size as my strat's

so i started making the adjustment. did small turns (1/8 turns) per half an hour or so...
however the truss rod was actually hard to turn (clockwise) and it made some kinda cracking noise like if it was all rusted!!! after a some hours i stopped and thought ima consult with ya guys!!! oh and one of the reasons of stopping was that the truss rod wouldnt turn anymore! i didnt push t too hard however! neck is ok!! no clues of damage done! however it's still ridiculously concave! there's a gap of about 1/4 inch above the 5/6/7 frets! i can stick the Allen wrench there without touching the strings!!

so i think there's something wrong with the Truss Rod??! how do i fix it or is it even fixable??!!

thanx!!!
Last edited by vigenharutyunya at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by vigenharutyunya
searched but didnt find much!

my mate's bass truss rod needs some tightening i saw it today and the truss rod was from the headstock side but it was not like ordinary guitar rod?!? i mean should i use to tighten it??! not an Allen wench as on my strat??!!

im not a bassist im a guitarist but i do setups on guitars and id like to know about basses too...??

My GF's squier had the same thing, it just looks different, but a normal allen wrench will work fine. The metal is folded over in a weird way right? It just kind of looks like the surfaces are rounded rather than flat.

Just try an allen wrench and see if it works.
yeah just use a thinner wrench. it probably is not as big around as your strat's' becasue the neck is longer so it does not have to be as big around to get the same pressure. a trussrod is not made to be as strong as possible it is made only to be just strong enough to equal out the string's tension.

not to be rude but did you only try one size allen wrench before making this thread? maybe your strat is metric and the bass is standard or vice versa?
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
ok guys errm sorry for the necrobump may be but i realise this belongs to the same thread as it's with the bass iwas talking about

so finally i took it from my friend to fix the neck:
first it had a pad my friend put to rise the neck. in the neck pocket of the body. i so i removed it and got the neck back screwed to the body again

the trussrod hole was erally raelly tiny but after trying a small allen wrench ive found out that it's actually some kinda wood or something stuck there! so i cleaned it with a needle-type of thing and found that it's the same size as my strat's

so i started making the adjustment. did small turns (1/8 turns) per half an hour or so...
however the truss rod was actually hard to turn (clockwise) and it made some kinda cracking noise like if it was all rusted!!! after a some hours i stopped and thought ima consult with ya guys!!! oh and one of the reasons of stopping was that the truss rod wouldnt turn anymore! i didnt push t too hard however! neck is ok!! no clues of damage done! however it's still ridiculously concave! there's a gap of about 1/4 inch above the 5/6/7 frets! i can stick the Allen wrench there without touching the strings!!

so i think there's something wrong with the Truss Rod??! how do i fix it or is it even fixable??!!

thanx!!!
The more you loosen the strings, the harder it will be to turn the truss rod.
Is it humid where you are? Its possible that the neck is swolllen a bit from humidity. You may need to let the bass sit in the air conditioning or in a basement for a few days to get the wood back to normal. The metal truss rod will also swell in too much heat and humidity.

I had this happen with a bass last year that has two truss rods in it. They wouldnt budge even a millimeter. After a week out of the humidity and heat, they turned as easy as any truss rod should.
hmm i think it was originally like that. i asked him to ask his dad if it was...

so i ought to leave it at my place for acouple of days and see if it gets better??

hmm how loosenin the strings make it harder to run?!? im trying to tighten it so wouldnt the additional tension cause by the strings make it even harder??!
Because if the truss rod is already stuck in that position, chances are that by loosening the strings too much, you will create too much neck bow and make it even harder to move the truss.

I would hold onto it for a few days and see if it gets any easier to turn. Dont force it though. You could break the rod or crack the neck.
yeah im really careful with it! hmm i think through the night it god less concave

so i think that's the humidity thing you guys were saying... i'll leave it here for another day and see if i can fix it. if no i guess i'll give it back to my friend and next time i go there for practice i'll also fix the bass