Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-09-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
lodgie

Thumbs up Gear heads - Advice on new equipment please

Hi All,

This is my first post to the forums, and i'm looking for a little advice on a few things

Basically i'm looking to get a setup but i have no idea on whats good gear with so many brands etc out there.

I've got the guitars ESP JH2 Explorer and an acoustic but i'm looking at pedals, such as a loop pedal, amps on so on budget is about $2-5k

1 a quality amp. nothing to expensive, Everyone seems like the "Orange" gear

What amp and head do you guys recommend that will make some decent noise, to get that old silverchair frogstomp sound other bands i'm into sunk loto, superhiest, bring me the horizon and also chillout acoustic sessions

a loop pedal so i can put a bunch of loops together and a few effects like flanger, metal pedal etc, maybe a basic drum pad and a mixer board to plug everything into and record, any other advice and tips would be awesome on a setup.. what the boss RC30 like?

Also how the fuck do you get your fingers to move more freely & faster on the guitar Everytime i bend my fingers they seem to cross over one another

anyway cheers for the help in advance

Lodgie

Last edited by lodgie : 04-09-2016 at 09:11 PM.
lodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
i_lovemetallica
You stupid f****g bastard

How long have you been playing for, and what sort of music do you like to play?

I'm no gear expert really, but in regards to your last problem, the only remedy is practice. Start playing songs at a slower tempo until you get the movements right, and then speed up from there.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
yoman297
hi

Boss RC30 is pretty good from what I remember.

How I've chosen my equipment is starting at what my favourite artists use, then going from there. There's almost always resources online of what exactly all the gear is.

It also helps that you've opened up a thread, because you can figure out and discuss a lot of stuff along the way. That's a pretty decent budget.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
k.lainad
we all float down here...

I'd recommend a tube amp over a solid state, but you can't go wrong with a peavey or a line 6 solid state first time around. Just get some decent pedal and you'll make some good tones for sure!

i have a vox ad50 vt tube amp, it's not too pricey, and it's extremely loud! go for vox or orange! they're known for having good clean and heavy tones
Old 04-09-2016, 09:02 PM   #5
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodgie
show

I've got the guitars ESP JH2 Explorer and an acoustic but i'm looking at pedals, such as a loop pedal, amps on so on budget is about 2-5k

1 a quality amp. nothing to expensive, Everyone seems like the "Orange" gear
show

If that's $ and not , used Orange Rockerverb 100 MK III or Thunderverb 200 + a Diezel VH4 + a 412 with V30s.

You're welcome.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG Amps!
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
lodgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_lovemetallica
How long have you been playing for, and what sort of music do you like to play?

I'm no gear expert really, but in regards to your last problem, the only remedy is practice. Start playing songs at a slower tempo until you get the movements right, and then speed up from there.

I used to play guitar about 10 years ago and decided to get back into it i probably played for about 2 years or so before that.

I guess man, i have no idea why, the fingers on my left hand doesn't seem strong enough to get them where i want, and seem to cross over each, and my little finger clicks in 2 places when i move it :/ just wasnt sure if someone had the same problem out there,

Thanks for your reply
Old 04-09-2016, 10:21 PM   #7
lodgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoman297
Boss RC30 is pretty good from what I remember.

How I've chosen my equipment is starting at what my favourite artists use, then going from there. There's almost always resources online of what exactly all the gear is.

It also helps that you've opened up a thread, because you can figure out and discuss a lot of stuff along the way. That's a pretty decent budget.

Thats a great idea, i might do some research into what these guys use.

i agree, i didn't think id get a reply to be honest so i'm stoked on the help thats coming through,
Old 04-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #8
lodgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.lainad
I'd recommend a tube amp over a solid state, but you can't go wrong with a peavey or a line 6 solid state first time around. Just get some decent pedal and you'll make some good tones for sure!

i have a vox ad50 vt tube amp, it's not too pricey, and it's extremely loud! go for vox or orange! they're known for having good clean and heavy tones

Nice man, this kind of info is what i need to know to purchase an amp! i've heard orange is good gear! so Orange and a tube to start with you think?

What head do you recommended?

Lodgie
Old 04-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #9
lodgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
If that's $ and not , used Orange Rockerverb 100 MK III or Thunderverb 200 + a Diezel VH4 + a 412 with V30s.

You're welcome.

Yeah man thats $$.

ok whats the difference between the 2 man? and what is a Diezel VH4 and 412 with V30's? hahaha sorry man but ive got no idea on this shit so i'll need more info and i'll google some shit on what you listed in the meantime also.

Cheers

Lodgie
Old 04-10-2016, 02:44 AM   #10
The4thHorsemen
Which way's she spinning?

http://www.diezel.ch/en/products/vh4.php
basically, with that price range you could get 2 really good amps and cover a wide range of tones.

a 4x12 means the big cabs with 4 12 inch speakers, also known as a half-stack. V30s are a type of speaker, so he's saying a cab with 4 12 inch V30s.

This thread would probably do better in the Guitar Gear and Accessories subforum.
The4thHorsemen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: