About a month ago i brought a new Schecter Demon 7 from my local Billy Hyde, its taken me a while to notice but the guitar has a few dead notes,

9th on high E (sounds exactly like the 10th fret just with a heap of buzz)
9th on high B (lots of buzz)
10th on A (lots of buzz)
9th on low E (lots of buzz)
9th on low B (lots of buzz)

(its a 7string btw)

apart from them, the rest of the notes on the guitar are fine, just those ones are no good, i dont know if it has anything to do with it, but the 9th fret is right in the middle of the fretboard

ive tryed pressing harder on the strings, apart from hurting my finger it does nothing

so is there a way to fix it or should i take it back and get them to fix it?
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Jackson JS30 Rhodes (modded)
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
Take it back, and get a new guitar. Fixing it would involve refretting/fret crowning and you don´t want to do that on a budget guitar anyway.
WTLTL 2011
your action is ****ed bro, buzzy notes are caused by an improperly setup guitar or having frets that aren't uniform in height

you can fix it yourself, although its easier to let someone else fix it for you as most stores have a 30 day policy

look up one of the setup guides here, it will possibly invovle adjusting your truss rod and/or raising/lowering the bridge height and if that doesn't fix it then you've got a fret height issue,

although a fret issue like that is highly unlikely as schecter isnt known for making low quality instruments with stupid problems like that, its not unheard of and it may just be that you accidentally knocked the guitar against something which may have messed up one of your frets.
Quote by thegreatbuddha
your action is ****ed bro, buzzy notes are caused by an improperly setup guitar or having frets that aren't uniform in height

you can fix it yourself, although its easier to let someone else fix it for you as most stores have a 30 day policy

look up one of the setup guides here, it will possibly invovle adjusting your truss rod and/or raising/lowering the bridge height and if that doesn't fix it then you've got a fret height issue,

although a fret issue like that is highly unlikely as schecter isnt known for making low quality instruments with stupid problems like that, its not unheard of and it may just be that you accidentally knocked the guitar against something which may have messed up one of your frets.

Well some of his frets are buzzy, but one of his is plain dead. Not good...setup most likely won´t fix that.
WTLTL 2011
Honestly, it sounds like a truss rod adjustment would fix it. Since all of the problems seem to be around the same general area, i would guess that you have too much of a concave (bending towards the strings) shape with your guitar's neck.

And yes, a poorly adjusted truss rod can and will cause dead notes, along with buzzing ones.
how do i adjust the truss rod? (i kno i need an alan key to do it)
how do i know if ive done it right?

never needed to adjust one before, all my other guitars are fine
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Jackson JS30 Rhodes (modded)
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
It sounds to me like it needs a set up but without seeing it and checking it out I can't tell if it needs a fret level, truss rod adjustment and/or complete set up.

Here is a good tutorial you might want to check out and see if you can figure out what the problem is and possibly fix it yourself.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm

John
Truss rod.

My Ibby had dead notes on the 6th fret....adjusted truss rod and now its fine.

You guys jumping to the conclusion that his new guitar has unlever frets and what not are rediculous. Rule out the easy cheap fixes first and then maybe come to that conclusion.

My car won't start..........must need a new one, or new motor....see.... a little rediculous. Maybe the car just needs gas???
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
ive tryed pressing harder on the strings, apart from hurting my finger it does nothing

Don’t press harder, press lightly. Schecters come set up with low action, so pressing too hard will cause it to buzz.

But given the location of the problem its probably the truss rod. Get someone who knows what he is doing to show you how to fix it.
if a neck readjustment doesn't fix it theres other things like bridge placement and ect. I had this issue on my Epiphone Spotlight with a few high frets and the 8th and i took it to the local guitar guru and he fixed it up for about 60 bucks. He pretty much redid the neck placement along with the bridge, and then raised the 8th fret a tad to get rid of the buzz and its a beauty now, take it to someone who knows what they are talking about
Sounds like too much relief to me! If it's excessive, the area in the 7-9th frets are actually below the higher frets due to the dip in the fingerboard which causes the buzzing.
Wiht theguitar in it's playing position (on its side not its back) Fret the low E at the first fret and the High E at the 17th. Now look at the gap between the bottom of the Low E and top of the fret crown on the 7th - 9th fret area. It should be the thickness of a business card or thin pick! Any more than that and you're truss rod is too loose.
JJ1565 has a link in her sig to some good check out and setup info. Even if you don't want to touch the truss rod, learning how to at least assess it is a good thing.
Moving on.....