MiddleGuitar
33 IQ
(please direct me to the right forum if this one is wrong)
In my band, I'm the rhythm guitarist. We have a lead guitarist and lead vocals. We are lacking a bassist and drummer. We think we can get a drummer but we don't think we could get a bassist. I was wondering if it would be okay for me to play the baritone guitar to replace the bassist. The genres we play range from Nu Metal to Alternative Rock. If you don't think not having a bassist would work, please give me suggestions on what to do or how to get a bassist.

Thank You for your responses.
travs2448
1,002 IQ
you need some sort of low end sound in there. i've heard bands with out a bassist and i think they sounded pretty crappy
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Guy With A Number Name
108 IQ
I'm assuming there's a reason you can't just buy a bass?

On the other hand, Sleater-Kinney does it with two guitars tuned to C#, but they're far from the genres you mentioned.
MiddleGuitar
33 IQ
I COULD buy a bass but I don't really like the idea of playing it. I was thinking the baritone would be the low end even though I know bass goes much lower.
KoRnOnA6String
My user-name is a LIE!
438 IQ
Quote by MiddleGuitar
I COULD buy a bass but I don't really like the idea of playing it. I was thinking the baritone would be the low end even though I know bass goes much lower.

You're kind of shooting yourself in the butt here, though.

Why don't you like the idea of playing the bass?
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
MiddleGuitar
33 IQ
Quote by KoRnOnA6String
You're kind of shooting yourself in the butt here, though.

Why don't you like the idea of playing the bass?

I would love it if you could convince me to switch to bass!
Yooxa
197 IQ
Well, if you think bass issn't heard why bothering getting a bassist ?
NIN1993
1# NIN fan on UG
2,266 IQ
not sure if this will help you but two bands i know that dont have a bassist The White Stripes and Local H but i think they use bass pickups in there guitars
toyboxmonster
lost in other worlds
340 IQ
No. You simply cannot do it. It goes against the laws of rock 'n' roll music as they appear in The Rock Music Code of 1963.
spirogyra_
////
43 IQ
Quote by NIN1993
not sure if this will help you but two bands i know that dont have a bassist The White Stripes and Local H but i think they use bass pickups in there guitars

The essential difference between a bass and a six string treble guitar is a bass is 1 octave (or twelve frets / half steps) lower than a six string, pickup choice does not define pitch.
for that matter you can pickup bass frequencies with regular guitar pickups.

Any way TS if you live in the city you have no excuse to not be able to find a bassist, locate notice boards in you locality and put your advert containing who and what kind of people you want to play with. EASY.

www.musolist.com should be fruitfull depending on where you live.
Last edited by spirogyra_ at Apr 1, 2010,
kian89
UG Board King
483 IQ
ive never seen a band playing without a bassist
bass = base

base of the song
if there is no base how the song will survive