Page 5 of 41
Quote by dudey5691
What kind of tone are you going for? o_O

That sounds like you want some sort of thrash tone, yet I keep remembering you said something about modern metal...?

Didn't have time to attempt using POD Farm and Ryan's impulses, so I just used the POD direct like usual.

The same "Darkest Nights" by AILD as usual (I know, I'm boring).

This is an attempt at mastering... how's it sound? Guitars fit well, sound good?
Suggestions?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940668/The%20Darkest%20Nights%20-%20AILD%20%282%29%20%28MASTER%29.mp3

The bass is going WOooooooWOoooooHooooooo

guitars sound honky and muffled, with leads too loud and rhythms out of balance.
WTLTL 2011
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2974259/untitled.wav

stoppin' in to post that, don't mind the mix, how's the tone?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Mark G
500 error, not workin'

really??? works fine for me!
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
really??? works fine for me!

My guess is you posted before the upload was complete. I edited my post

*edit*

ps. your recent facebook antics remind me of a teacher I used to have who got fired for preaching to his class
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Apr 12, 2010,
Supposed to be dark....

Muffled. no.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Meh, double tracking the whole thing or adding some highs would fix it
WTLTL 2011
*shrug* already double tracked

whadda you gonna do? fire me?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Ok, so I spent the entire morning remaking this song, I don't really care how simple the drum track is, so yeah. But this time it actually fits the rythem of the drums, and I rewrote some things about the song, changed the lead to make it less lifeless, to me it sounds too loud in the mix, but idk.

How does it sound?

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play821549
Quote by ethan_hanus
Ok, so I spent the entire morning remaking this song, I don't really care how simple the drum track is, so yeah. But this time it actually fits the rythem of the drums, and I rewrote some things about the song, changed the lead to make it less lifeless, to me it sounds too loud in the mix, but idk.

How does it sound?

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play821549

The rhythm tone is all good...you're right about the leads too, they're way too loud. Treat them as you would vocals, you want at the point where you're able to hear them all clearly, but not to the point where it's all you can hear!

Also, I would some nice stereo reverb to the leads, give them some more body and width. Quite a lot of it, but that's personal preference.

Oh, and it now kinda reminds me of "Where Is My Mind?" by "The Pixies"....
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Quote by idiotbox919
The rhythm tone is all good...you're right about the leads too, they're way too loud. Treat them as you would vocals, you want at the point where you're able to hear them all clearly, but not to the point where it's all you can hear!

Also, I would some nice stereo reverb to the leads, give them some more body and width. Quite a lot of it, but that's personal preference.

Oh, and it now kinda reminds me of "Where Is My Mind?" by "The Pixies"....

Took your advice man, I used this thing called "Mountainecho" seemed to work better than the classic reverb thing. Brought the lead down. Hows this?

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play821777
Quote by ethan_hanus
Took your advice man, I used this thing called "Mountainecho" seemed to work better than the classic reverb thing. Brought the lead down. Hows this?

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play821777

I much prefer this one...the leads are at a much more reasonable level and the moutainecho thing helped fatten them up nicely. It sounds nice man, there's a passage somewhere around the middle where the leads are quieter and get kinda buried a bit. Have a listen and just cut that bit out and bring the levels up slightly and I reckon you're onto a winner there!
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Quote by idiotbox919
I much prefer this one...the leads are at a much more reasonable level and the moutainecho thing helped fatten them up nicely. It sounds nice man, there's a passage somewhere around the middle where the leads are quieter and get kinda buried a bit. Have a listen and just cut that bit out and bring the levels up slightly and I reckon you're onto a winner there!

I think I might rerecord the lead, I'm not really that happy with it, the gain just sounds much too harsh to me, might need to pull out the Hardwire pedal for this one. Like, I want it to sound smoother and blend more with my rhythm distortion. I'm thinking about playing the lead an octave lower on the D string, since it is a pentatonic harmonizing solo, of sorts.

Any ideas on how to get a smoother distortion?
Quote by ethan_hanus
I think I might rerecord the lead, I'm not really that happy with it, the gain just sounds much too harsh to me, might need to pull out the Hardwire pedal for this one. Like, I want it to sound smoother and blend more with my rhythm distortion. I'm thinking about playing the lead an octave lower on the D string, since it is a pentatonic harmonizing solo, of sorts.

Any ideas on how to get a smoother distortion?

Smoother distortion would be less highs, presence and high mids. And use the neck pickup too, it won't cut through as well, but the neck pickup should provide a much smooter lead tone than the bridge.

Obviously, in doing all this you may well end up with problems with them cutting through, but you can always EQ the rhythm around them and mess around with all that sorts of stuff in post processing

Hey guys, why does this recording sound so shitty?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/chugz.mp3

Also can anyone recommend me a plugin for bass. My bass amp is shit. I just want to plug the bass into my interface though either the instrument in or line in and get a decent bass tone.

Here's what I have going on. Ibanez JEM7vwh with a BKP Warpig in the bridge straight into a Baron K88.

• Treble:3:00
  • Mids: 12:00 - Mid boost engaged
  • Bass: 2:30/3:00
  • Presence: 12:00
  • Thrust: 10:30/11:00

I'm using an SM57 aiming at the edge of the left of the cone at about an inch away from the cloth. Speaker is a G12T-75.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Apr 17, 2010,
Quote by kylendm
Hey guys, why does this recording sound so shitty?

Also can anyone recommend me a plugin for bass. My bass amp is shit. I just want to plug the bass into my interface though either the instrument in or line in and get a decent bass tone.

Ampeg SVX, bit pricey but good
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Alright same guitars and everything as before but I added bass. Does it sound better?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/Chugz2.mp3
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
Alright same guitars and everything as before but I added bass. Does it sound better?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/Chugz2.mp3

I like how your guitars sound..
----

Edit; taking this down, I put 20 minutes into recording a whole song
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Last edited by tr3nt at Apr 17, 2010,
Figured i should post this hear

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4291735/madtriojamd3.mp3

Did this session 2 days ago and yesterday finishing it up
guitarist ran through a Express 5:50 combo. used some effects from that Green line 6 delay. and a ts as a boost in some parts. The micing was a sm57 off axis 45 degrees , with a AKG c415 3 feet back.

Also there is a DI track reamped with my Mark IV

Solo tracks where done simialry except with Senheiser Md421 with an AKG c414 3 feet back
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Last edited by mexican_shred at Apr 17, 2010,
Quote by mexican_shred

guitarist ran through a Express 5:50 combo. used some effects from that Green line 6 delay. and a ts as a boost in some parts. The micing was a sm57 off axis 45 degrees , with a AKG c415 3 feet back.

Solo tracks where done simialry except with Senheiser Md421 with an AKG c414 3 feet back

That was a really nice jam. I loved the bass. Something about the whole mix sounded a bit muffled though. It's not really a blanket like muffle it's very thin but other wise the whole mix sounds great. Awesome work!

Quote by tr3nt
I like how your guitars sound..

Really? They are fizzy but I can't get rid of it. Anyone?
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Apr 17, 2010,
Quote by kylendm
That was a really nice jam. I loved the bass. Something about the whole mix sounded a bit muffled though. It's not really a blanket like muffle it's very thin but other wise the whole mix sounds great. Awesome work!

Really? They are fizzy but I can't get rid of it. Anyone?

strats with split single coils tend do that. if it was me i would have done it with a split humbucker but meh. and i had to eq some stuff and gate some stuff to prevent bleed
Last edited by mexican_shred at Apr 17, 2010,
Yeah, a lot of my mixes bleed a lot and it's hard to get it just right.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/remixed%20crunch.mp3

That's a remix of something you guys may have heard before. I got a lot of the clipping out and added bass into it. Sounding better?

Also if you guys could help out with the mix before this one I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm thinking the reason why that mix was fizzy was because of those speakers.

Edit: I re did the guitars on that one as well. I might do it again since the timing is slightly off.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/Chugz3.mp3
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Apr 18, 2010,
Ok, so I rerecorded the lead guitar using my neck pickup, which is an EMG 81, backed off the highs on the amp, and upped the mids slightly on the amp, and used the spring reverb on my amp instead of a VST plugin, and I backed off the gain a lot. Added some new melodies in there, and cleaned up some mistakes.

To me it sounds great, a few mistakes here and there, but all my stuff has mistakes in it. Howed I do?

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play823014
It sounds good. I liked the rhythm guitars but the drums could be a little more up beat and different and the lead guitars sound a little out of tune; the tone is good though.

Just but 2 cents
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Guys just a quick question on recording:

Do you guys use a compressor plug-in during mixing for all your guitar tracks, or do you only use the compressor when mastering the whole track?

Or both?

Quote by mexican_shred

That sounds really cool...my compliments to whoever's playing, it's really nice.

And I see what Kyle is saying, it's not quite muffled, but it's not quite right. Everything sounds kinda distant, maybe you've mixed too much of the room mic in? Other than that, maybe try the SM57 on axis, you loose some of the presence when you go off axis. But other than that, it sounds pretty amazing, nice work!

Quote by kylendm

That's a remix of something you guys may have heard before. I got a lot of the clipping out and added bass into it. Sounding better?

Also if you guys could help out with the mix before this one I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm thinking the reason why that mix was fizzy was because of those speakers.

Edit: I re did the guitars on that one as well. I might do it again since the timing is slightly off.

Both of those sound pretty nice, but in both case the rhythm guitars sound kinda scooped. If that's what you're going for then fair play, but I think they could use more mids and maybe less bass. Overall, they both sound good, just kinda muddy and lacking clarity in places. Other than that though...really nice!

Quote by kylendm

Both of those sound pretty nice, but in both case the rhythm guitars sound kinda scooped. If that's what you're going for then fair play, but I think they could use more mids and maybe less bass. Overall, they both sound good, just kinda muddy and lacking clarity in places. Other than that though...really nice!

Also, I really like the kick on remixed crunch....where/how did you get it?

Quote by Metallica1554

Do you guys use a compressor plug-in during mixing for all your guitar tracks, or do you only use the compressor when mastering the whole track?

Or both?

Depends on the guitars...I'm gonna take a guess and assume we're talking about distorted guitars. If so, I would avoid compressing them. The distortion compresses the signal so much already that any more often leaves them dull and lifeless. You can use a multiband, but I prefer surgical EQing personally.

Most people use a compresson on the master, but I don't have anything decent to monitor on so I can't really do anything in the way of mastering except clipping and limiting to make it loud.....

Last edited by idiotbox919 at Apr 18, 2010,
Quote by Metallica1554

Or both?

It's best if you can avoid using a compressor, but I've started using a type of compressor called a "Master Limiter" it boosts everything, levels it out, and brings up the main mix volume without distorting anything. Seems to work rather well.

Typically you dont want to use a compressor to compress your tone, so if you can avoid it then don't use one.
Quote by Wesbanez
Would appreciate some general crit on this little Slash rip off I recorded the other day. Guitars and bass played in one/two takes so not very tight, minimal mixing, no mastering, no compression or EQ filters yet...

http://soundcloud.com/ollie-b/tone-testing-slash-rip-off

Sounded pretty nice....I didn't like the effect though, especially not through headphones, it was just too much. Maybe use less, or don't use it on the whole thing, but I felt it really unbalanced everything. Oh and I'm not sure if it's due to the effect or what, but the guitars in the right channel seemed much louder to me

The guitars I liked, they sounded nice, nice riff too. The bass really needs to be tighter though.

Are you gonna make it into a full song...it feels like something is about to kick in at the end of that riff

Quote by ethan_hanus
It's best if you can avoid using a compressor, but I've started using a type of compressor called a "Master Limiter" it boosts everything, levels it out, and brings up the main mix volume without distorting anything. Seems to work rather well.

Typically you dont want to use a compressor to compress your tone, so if you can avoid it then don't use one.

haha I use that limiter too. "Classic Master Limiter" right? I chose it cause it was simple to use and free

And a limiter is kinda like a compressor, but has a very different function. Compressors are used to even out the peaks and troughs of a sound. A limiter just smashes everything past a certain point, to stop clipping. I'm not sure if they all work the same way. But the one I use smashes at -0.3db to stop any possible clipping, I tend to run Gclip before it to take off the peaks caused by the snare etc otherwise they hit the limiter way before everything else, preventing it from working as effectively (or maybe just from me being able to work it effectively ).

Last edited by idiotbox919 at Apr 18, 2010,
Haha, no, I will not be making it into a full song, Slash has beat me too it! (listen to Die By The Sword form his new album).

Thanks for the tips, Ill play about with effects and stuff. I think I mite have lazily set the panning quite badly... ill check if its equal at some point, and when you say the bass needs to be tighter, what exactly do you mean? Tighter as in played tighter with the main riff? Or sound wise?
Quote by Wesbanez
Haha, no, I will not be making it into a full song, Slash has beat me too it! (listen to Die By The Sword form his new album).

Thanks for the tips, Ill play about with effects and stuff. I think I mite have lazily set the panning quite badly... ill check if its equal at some point, and when you say the bass needs to be tighter, what exactly do you mean? Tighter as in played tighter with the main riff? Or sound wise?

ah ok...shame, I was digging the riff

If you've double tracked the guitars, generally people just hard pan. If it's quad tracked I tend to favour 100 - 75 - 75 - 100 panning.

And for the bass, the tone itself sounds good, but I'm not expert on bass tones...you'll only have to listen to some of mine to work that out! But it needs to be played tighter, it's a bit off time in places which is taking away the fullness and clarity of the sound.

Just thought I'd share this random noodling I recorded whilst waiting for a band to turn up today!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1681257/ML1%20Solo.mp3

Nothing too fancy, just podfarm!
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Quote by idiotbox919

Quote by kylendm

Also, I really like the kick on remixed crunch....where/how did you get it?

Thanks. Yeah I'm still working on the whole muddy thing.

I use BFD2 for my drums. I have my own metal kit mixes.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by idiotbox919
ah ok...shame, I was digging the riff

If you've double tracked the guitars, generally people just hard pan. If it's quad tracked I tend to favour 100 - 75 - 75 - 100 panning.

And for the bass, the tone itself sounds good, but I'm not expert on bass tones...you'll only have to listen to some of mine to work that out! But it needs to be played tighter, it's a bit off time in places which is taking away the fullness and clarity of the sound.

Ah I get ya, yeah as I said, took about 5 mins to record that shit Will put more time in when I have some original riffs

Thanks for the panning tips!
Quote by chrism3006
Just thought I'd share this random noodling I recorded whilst waiting for a band to turn up today!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1681257/ML1%20Solo.mp3

Nothing too fancy, just podfarm!

Hah you say that like it's nothing, I'm no expert, but sounds great.
Edit; is Podfarm just that $50 VST I'm seeing?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt
Hah you say that like it's nothing, I'm no expert, but sounds great.
Edit; is Podfarm just that $50 VST I'm seeing?

Yer, that's the basic version. I use the full version (platinum), I think that's $300 or so.

Well I got bored of editing guitars and decided to throw down some random Lydian riffage:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1681257/ML1%20Rhythms.mp3

Again just podfarm for the tonez. Ignore the bum notes in the solo
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Quote by idiotbox919
That sounds really cool...my compliments to whoever's playing, it's really nice.

And I see what Kyle is saying, it's not quite muffled, but it's not quite right. Everything sounds kinda distant, maybe you've mixed too much of the room mic in? Other than that, maybe try the SM57 on axis, you loose some of the presence when you go off axis. But other than that, it sounds pretty amazing, nice work!

No room mic. Just a Condenser 3ft away of center of cone on amplifier