Page 3 of 8
Quote by deathx88
no, i don't think it's a silly complaint at all. you don't don't tab as much as i do, even if i do copy and paste you don't realize how trivial that could get.

it's not even the writing aspect, it's the learning aspect too. what if i want to learn a piano part on guitar, i'd have to copy and paste the track to a guitar track. it's just completely pointless and inefficient to have to do this.
is it so hard to ask for the option to switch between standard/tab like you can with the guitars?

maybe i'm not explaining myself the way i want too, i'm too tired and am not thinking too coherently at this moment.

Well I agree, it's annoying. When I look at the keys on a tab, I want them to be in guitar tab format instead of standard notation. But it's just that - slightly annoying. And 20-30 seconds later I've copied and pasted them so I can see them anyway.

It really isn't a reason to flat out completely avoid the software. The benefits of the extremely versatile RSE as well as the larger set of note effects easily pushes this over GP5. The quality of this software rivals audio software which retails for multiples of the price of GP6.

That said, something which annoys me more is that the palm mutes aren't... um... 'palm mute-y' enough. There should be two different levels of muting.
Quote by tborsje
That said, something which annoys me more is that the palm mutes aren't... um... 'palm mute-y' enough. There should be two different levels of muting.

I reported that issue, they said they'll work on that to get palm mutes more realistic
Quote by tborsje
Well I agree, it's annoying. When I look at the keys on a tab, I want them to be in guitar tab format instead of standard notation. But it's just that - slightly annoying. And 20-30 seconds later I've copied and pasted them so I can see them anyway.

It really isn't a reason to flat out completely avoid the software. The benefits of the extremely versatile RSE as well as the larger set of note effects easily pushes this over GP5. The quality of this software rivals audio software which retails for multiples of the price of GP6.

i don't really consider it an annoyance, but you do see what i'm talking about.

i'm probably not gonna completely avoid this program, i can have both of them installed at the same time. i do like the features, but the RSE isn't why i use guitar pro in the first place.

I reported that issue, they said they'll work on that to get palm mutes more realistic

perhaps i can report my problem to them too. like i was saying it shouldn't be too hard to be able to select between the two. the option is already implemented for stringed instruments, so hopefully a simple update patch can change this.
Quote by deathx88
i do like the features, but the RSE isn't why i use guitar pro in the first place.

I agree, I'm not a big fan of the new RSE sound (too much tweak necessary as the default sounds are not as good as GP5 ones for distortion).
But it's not really my primary use of the software.

Quote by deathx88
perhaps i can report my problem to them too. like i was saying it shouldn't be too hard to be able to select between the two. the option is already implemented for stringed instruments, so hopefully a simple update patch can change this.

You should report the problem.
They are really nice and answer to each suggestion they receive through their contact form (at least in my case, and I sent A LOT of remarks and requests ^^).
For now I read that they doesn' intend to change that but if there is a lot of feedback about it, maybe they'll reconsider.
(And working in programming, I'd say that user should never say "it shouldn't be too hard" because often it's not as easy as it seems and it is really annoying for the developers to read that ^^).
Hey, I just got GP6 and was wondering about the virtual fretboard. In older GPs you could have both the keyboard and fretboard, here it seems that the instrument you create at first sets the type of board you can have, even if you change from guitar to piano you can only have a fretboard...

Is there something I'm missing? Say I want to have both, or just to switch from one to the other.

Thanks.
I miss the ability to tab out drums using the numbers. I could do that so quickly and even my drummer friend got used to it.. somehow its quicker than notating.. i'd at least like the option. I don't think they should remove features like that.. especially considering you could turn off the tab if you wanted to in GP5.

Why remove a feature a lot of people obviously found useful?
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Is GP 6 worth the $60? cause honestly i hate spending money on programs. it costs them like 2 dollars to copy onto a CD and they charge us $60 for it.

anybody know of a way to get it free?
doesn't really seem worth it. i have GP5 and other than the memory overload bullshit when u have quite a few tracks it works fine. if there was a way to upgrade for a discount maybe it would be worth it.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
Quote by warlockking
doesn't really seem worth it. i have GP5 and other than the memory overload bullshit when u have quite a few tracks it works fine. if there was a way to upgrade for a discount maybe it would be worth it.

There is an upgrade price I thought?
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Quote by warlockking
if there was a way to upgrade for a discount maybe it would be worth it.

There was a way... Upgrading was costing half price. But I think the promotion is over now.

Some people upgrade because of the new RSE abilities (that's not my case, I prefer the previous). Some because of the new music notations available (my case, I was missing several symbols).
But I didn't upgraded : I was waiting or GP6 to go out before buying (just discovered GP few month ago). And I think it's worth it.

And just to tell : I working in programming and I can garanty you that the 60$ are not for copying the software on CD (by the way, for 60$ you download it. You must pay a little more to get it on CD... ).
It's for the countless hours of work that represent programming this kind of software.

And to my knowledge there are no "official" or legal way to get it for free...
Last edited by killergege at May 15, 2010,
Quote by patrickodang
Is GP 6 worth the $60? cause honestly i hate spending money on programs. it costs them like 2 dollars to copy onto a CD and they charge us $60 for it.

Do you have any idea how much work goes into writing programs like that?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by patrickodang

It's worth it.

It takes a whole bunch of time to code all that stuff and make the sounds, etc.

Why do you think Photoshop is so expensive?
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
No talking about getting this program for free, or you'll get banned
Quote by zappp
emad I'm gonna ban you, seriously.
Excellent program!

Downloaded the trial and hacked it so i could get all the presets and shit e.t.c

Sounds really good! much better than 5
Uh, just bought it, and the standard tuning is not standard. It sounds a half step up...wtf? Anyone have this problem?
Last edited by TSelman at May 24, 2010,
Is no one having that problem?
imho GP6 sucks, ony new RSE is good, the rest is crappy. The interface isnt as comfortable as in GP5!
Last edited by beplay at May 26, 2010,
You guys realize you can goto View -> Instrument Panel to write for Drums and a non-guitar instrument, right? The drum panel pretty much lays out all the beats you can have and any other instrument will let you write with a full piano.
Quote by Chaotic976
You guys realize you can goto View -> Instrument Panel to write for Drums and a non-guitar instrument, right? The drum panel pretty much lays out all the beats you can have and any other instrument will let you write with a full piano.

yeah, real comfortable
Quote by David_VI
I miss the ability to tab out drums using the numbers. I could do that so quickly and even my drummer friend got used to it.. somehow its quicker than notating.. i'd at least like the option. I don't think they should remove features like that.. especially considering you could turn off the tab if you wanted to in GP5.

Why remove a feature a lot of people obviously found useful?

Agreed, I noticed that it is very common for developers to remove good features...

....and as "killergege" said, the RSE needs way to much tweaking, and the vanilla settings are....uhhm...not so good.

I stick to GP5.
Control your destiny.
Why would anyone need RSE? It can't sound the way you want it to sound anyway so why bother? Can't the developers realize they are wasting time on things that aren't important.
RSE is just a gimmick and nothing more. What possible gain can you hope to accomplish?
Last edited by The Axeman at Jun 1, 2010,
The site lets you post gpx files now but this is what I got when I did it:

Hello Fliip West,

Unfortunately, your Rainbow In The Dark tab by Dio has been rejected.
As you know, we have a tab pre-approval system in place, where UG users can vote for tabs that was submitted to the archive. You can download your tab from here.However, there are some comments left by users that were reviewing your tab:

"wtf is a gpx file??"

"^^ Dude above, a lot of people are getting gp6. Don't reject it just because of that- there's a reason UG allows people to upload them."

"Hmm, I don't think anyone will be able to open your file buddy. GP5 or GP4 please."

"^^ Guitar Pro 6. Which I unfortunately only have the trial version of, and thus cannot see this tab. "

"We all know you're so cool that you have guitar pro 6, but you don't have to show it off dude, just post the gp5 version. You will get so much more views."

Feel free to resubmit your tab after all the corrections are done.

You can check the status of all your contributions at this page.

However, thank you for your work!

Sincerely,
Ultimate-Guitar.Com Tabteam

The tone of the person who rejected the tab pissed me off. Just because he dosent have GP6, shouldn't be a reason to reject it.... pass it on to another person who does.
^ This email has been sent to you automatically and lately ug sends the comments that have been posted for your tab in tpa.
I think the reason you're tab's getting rejected is because we already have four guitar pro tabs for this song. So please check them out. If your tab's completely different, resubmit it and if it got denied again post in this thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816400

Let's keep this thread related to the topic
Quote by zappp
emad I'm gonna ban you, seriously.
I can't seem to find a way to turn of the score when I'm viewing guitar tabs, is there a way to only show the tablature like in gp5?

EDIT: Nevermind, after a few hours of frustration, I have uninstalled GP6 and have gone back to GP5 on my computers.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Last edited by JWD32792 at Jun 3, 2010,
I don't know if i'll upgrade the 5.2... Is Guitar Pro 6 is able to do polyrhythm ? like demi semi quaver triplet in a semi quaver sextuplet ? if he can, i buy !! maybe someone can add a picture of this little miracle
GP6 sucks. The company isn't answering my emails of why the tuning of standard, is a half step up...
TSelman, I don't have that problem with GP6, but I once had a similar issue with GP5, and only with 1 particular tab (in open C tuning btw). But I don't know what caused it, so maybe this is not GP6 but your tab, or soundcard related maybe. No idea

Has anyone some good settings to have a nice heavy distorted sound ?
I don't know shit about analog equalizer and all that jazz so I may not be doing things right, but the best "heavy" sound I have is by adding :
-digital chorus (fast), then
-eddie amp (dist), then
-modern amp (lead) (or switch the chorus after both amps if you want a bit less disto)
It may not be supposed to be set up that way but that the best heavy sound I achieved (for stuff like SYL, Gojira), anyone's got nice settings ?
Last edited by Falk_Oomikami at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by crizzack
the trial version sucks compared to GP 5's trial trial version for 6 is you can only open the GP's it comes with and u cant save. atleast in 5 u could do anything u just had 30 days to reg. so with that said whens somebody gonna upload a damn license key or torrent for this shit?

********Post edited by emad******
Hmm, slides and/or legato sound as if every note is picked.
Control your destiny.
I'm looking for Gp6 tabs.... does anybody find them yet? I'm tired playing the old ones
Quote by habits

I came in here specifically to post this. Does anyone know if there is a way around this, or if they are planning on releasing a fix to this any time soon in an update? They aren't answering me from their site, so I was wondering if anyone here knows the answer?
Quote by habits

I wrote to GP about this and this was their reply:

Hi,

I have forwarded your suggestions to the dev team. We will address this problem as soon as possible, please be patient.

Musically Yours,
Charly, Customers' Department
Guitar Pro.
I love Guitar Pro. The trial for GP6 was a extreemly faster and more efficient compared to GP4. I might get it later on!
Neo-Classical is ftw.
Okay a bit of a dull question here but does anyone know if gp6 does open all the older guitar pro files? I only have the trial seeming as guitar pro 5 is no longer working on my pc, but guitar pro 5 no longer wokrs on here :P
this is annoying me...I used to use guitar pro 5 for tuning my guitar if tuning to something obscure, you could play the note over and over

with the "tuning" pane on guitar pro 6 when I click play it runs through each note once and that's it, making it very annoying for tuning...the help file suggests you can select a string and click play for it to repeat but I can't for the life of me figure out how to select a string...
I actually love the interface that GP6 has come up with. The drum tabbing for me is much harder to read but creating it is very streamlined... It think guitar pro should impletement a more streamlined and easy to read interface for drum tabbing.

I love the options for notes and the left side bar has all the information for all of the musical options you can use in guitar pro. Thankfully all of the keyboard shortcuts are the same so if i couldnt find something i could simply hit the keyboard shortcut.

RSE is wayyy overcomplicated although i have managed to create some sounds that are more authentic to real life instruments I find the trouble it takes to create these sounds is not worth it anyway... Although I have found that the acoustic guitars including 12 string are very good sounding right off the bat and can be very interesting with small amounts of tweaking. All of the guitar sounds clean/distorted, bass, and drums all stink unless you fiddle with them A LOT.

I'm getting used to it but honestly i prefer the midi sounds.

however one aspect i found that has easily improved incredibly is the sound you get when mixing midi instruments and RSE instruments. THey actually play in time without a huge hit on cpu power or strange sounds or problems.

Guitar pro 6 is backwards compatible with older guitar pro files but it often has problems translating old RSE instruments and certain note querks with GP5 and under.

I think the biggest thing it has trouble translating are the old ways people used to make notes sound longer by increasing a notes length by percentage. as opposed to using the let ring function.

Sometimes it thinks that certain notes are played way longer than they are supposed to be and they end up lasting for 4 or 5 bars longer than they should and they have to be fixed.

One thing i am dissapointed in not finding is an option to create pick slides inside the tab. It doesnt seem like something that should be very hard to create or emulate.

anyway thats how i feel about GP6
Quote by Redslash
I actually love the interface that GP6 has come up with. The drum tabbing for me is much harder to read but creating it is very streamlined... It think guitar pro should impletement a more streamlined and easy to read interface for drum tabbing.

I love the options for notes and the left side bar has all the information for all of the musical options you can use in guitar pro. Thankfully all of the keyboard shortcuts are the same so if i couldnt find something i could simply hit the keyboard shortcut.

RSE is wayyy overcomplicated although i have managed to create some sounds that are more authentic to real life instruments I find the trouble it takes to create these sounds is not worth it anyway... Although I have found that the acoustic guitars including 12 string are very good sounding right off the bat and can be very interesting with small amounts of tweaking. All of the guitar sounds clean/distorted, bass, and drums all stink unless you fiddle with them A LOT.

I'm getting used to it but honestly i prefer the midi sounds.

however one aspect i found that has easily improved incredibly is the sound you get when mixing midi instruments and RSE instruments. THey actually play in time without a huge hit on cpu power or strange sounds or problems.

Guitar pro 6 is backwards compatible with older guitar pro files but it often has problems translating old RSE instruments and certain note querks with GP5 and under.

I think the biggest thing it has trouble translating are the old ways people used to make notes sound longer by increasing a notes length by percentage. as opposed to using the let ring function.

Sometimes it thinks that certain notes are played way longer than they are supposed to be and they end up lasting for 4 or 5 bars longer than they should and they have to be fixed.

One thing i am dissapointed in not finding is an option to create pick slides inside the tab. It doesnt seem like something that should be very hard to create or emulate.

anyway thats how i feel about GP6

Sounds pretty good actually! and I agree completely with midi as opposed to RSE sounds too :P