Page 4 of 8
I have a problem. In GP5, I used the mix table to change one guitar track from clean to distorted. When translated to GP6, it just stays clean. I know about the automation editor, but it can't change the amp/guitar/effects. Is there any way to save amp settings for a certain part of the song? Anybody else get this problem or have solutions?
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Instead of automations, shouldn't you use variations (at the bottom of the edition menu) ?
So you can use 4 different FX setups.
^Oh, I had no clue you could do that haha
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

GP 6 don't open my old files, why? Is it supposed to unistall the old version 5?
I download the guitar pro file of a song here on UG how do u view the file (i have the trial)
Metal Rocks! \m/°0°\m/ My YouTube account: My YouTube account:
I think that GP6 trial does allow to open external files.
You can only create blanks and open the examples provided.
Quote by killergege

Some people are also complaining that it is not possible anymore to edit drums with the "tab" view. Drums are now only displayed and editable in "standard" notation.
From GP editor point of view the new way to enter the drums is better and easier to learn.

Worst.
Update.
Ever.
I became a fucking god at writing drum tabs in Guitar Pro 5 and now it takes me 20 minutes longer to do half as much. Fail. Major fail.

Was amazingly excited for GP6, and most of the features are great, but the drums and the amount of little things that don't make sense (you can't change an instrument's type after you've created it anymore, wtf?), just make me fine with staying with 5, no matter how nice the RSE sounds.
Last edited by Magero at Jul 21, 2010,
Ive got GP5 and i wondering if i should bother upgrading, Is it worth it ?
I have GP5.2 and GP6 and GP6 would be brilliant if i could change from clean to distortion on each track i wished, anyone know how to do this??? as in GP5 it was simple, just press F10 over the note you wished the effect to change on select your effect and there done, but i cannot figure out how to do it in this new spangled GP6, grrrr :@
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
i still prefer GP5. GP6 is too Sibelius-like which i hate, and the RSE is horrible for distorted guitars. i'll stick with GP5 myself.
From what I've seen, it's not worth spending the time to torrent^H^H^H^H^H^H^H legally buy it.

Yeah. I'll just stick with my downl^H^H^H^H^H perfectly legal copy of GP5.
Guitars: Sterling/Music Man John Petrucci Signature TRS, Epiphone SG G-310 (red)
Amps: Fender Frontman 15W
Effects: BOSS ME-25 multi-effects

Quote by Basti95
I still don't get it - therefore Kazinsal can only be better than me
here's an mp3 of a tab I did (rapidshare is limited to 10 DL now ? meh) , Aftermath by Strapping Young Lad, any opinion on the sound ?
Of course it will never sound as good as a record with a proper mix and all, but I find it not too bad, including the distorted guitars (except during fast picking when you can hear the repetitive pattern (and yeah the snare is hard to get perfect, and I sometime forgot to use the right one).

Quote by freighttrain
I have GP5.2 and GP6 and GP6 would be brilliant if i could change from clean to distortion on each track i wished, anyone know how to do this??? as in GP5 it was simple, just press F10 over the note you wished the effect to change on select your effect and there done, but i cannot figure out how to do it in this new spangled GP6, grrrr :@

Go to :
Edit > Variations (down the menu) > Choose the one you want.
You can use 4 different rig set-up throughout a song.
Have you submitted that tab yet? Because the only tab of aftermath on UG is a PT with 1 star...
You guys should Get Tux Guitar, It's like GP6, but free. It also recognizes GP files and PT files as well
Quote by Falk_Oomikami
Go to :
Edit > Variations (down the menu) > Choose the one you want.
You can use 4 different rig set-up throughout a song.

Cheers dude, il reinstall GP6 tonight and have a look at this
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
This might be a noob question, but how do you change effects on a guitar track in GP6? In GP5, I'd download the odd tab that the track will change effects partway through (for example, changes from acoustic to electric guitar for a solo). An example of a tab would be this tab:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/avenged_sevenfold/dear_god_ver4_guitar_pro.htm

the track "Synester Gates" starts out as a steel string, but changes to a distorted guitar for the outro solo.

But, when I open this tab in GP6, the track stays as a steel string for the whole song. How do I change it to a distorted guitar in GP6?
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
Can i still download / buy GP5? cuz i lost GP5 in a computer crash and cant get i back and i dont want to upgrade.
Amon Amarth to Frank Zappa
and everything in between.

The A-Z's of music.
is it possible to close the hi hat after hitting it?, im making a tab where the hi hat is hit open and then its supposed to close, how do I do this?
Has the issue with opening previous versions been resolved yet? Or do we still have a problem with RSE and some notation?
i LOVE LOVE LOVE guitar pro, especially v6!
i talked it up on my review page, you can read more about it from my experience here:

Try Guitar Pro!

it is an affiliate link (i normally don't post self-promoting material on the forums as it is bad forum etiquette!) but posting a link that is easy for you to click on and read my professional opinion of the software is easier than typing it all out here!!

PEACE
Thanks, but it still doesn't say how well it handles previous versions?

If Arobas was fully confident in their product they would have continued to offer a fully functioning time-limited demo.
Dunno should I get 6 or just keep GP5.. Is is worth changing? How does it handle older GP files etc? Is it ram heavy?
Apparently GP6 us a pain in the ass from what I've read in last 4 pages.

Is there any reason why I should get it, as opposed as getting GP5?
I do want access to the RSE, as it's a bit more aesthetically pleasing than midi. And that makes GP6 look like the clear winner.
But with drum notation issues and not being able to transfer tracks correctly, I might just go with GP5.

Any objections?
Can anyone make any strong points for GP6?
I have troubles with the instrument pannel not showing up, anyone else having this problem?

Its really a pain in the ass, as it makes drum programming a hell.
i got guitar pro 6 a couple weeks ago. I had lots of problems with guitar pro 5(mac). It crashes alot and was very frustrating. Guitar pro 6 on mac also has a similar problem. It doesn't crash as much, but it still does crash. And the instruments don't sound as good as the ones in guitar pro 5. The overdriven guitars are waaay too heavy and sound like crap.

I tried guitar pro 6 on my pc and it worked fine. but i prefer using the mac.

Do u guys that use macs have problems with GP6?
I AM THE APPLE
Quote by huevos
Apparently GP6 us a pain in the ass from what I've read in last 4 pages.

Is there any reason why I should get it, as opposed as getting GP5?
I do want access to the RSE, as it's a bit more aesthetically pleasing than midi. And that makes GP6 look like the clear winner.
But with drum notation issues and not being able to transfer tracks correctly, I might just go with GP5.

Any objections?
Can anyone make any strong points for GP6?

I like gp6. Sure it's a bit of a PITA to get a good sound, but if you're looking for a certain sound for say your compositions, and not a truckload of different sounds cuz' you're tabbing a lot of bands, you may eventually find a good sound that pleases your needs and then find it much better than the midi sound.

I had a lot of crash at the beginning, particularly with imported gp5 tabs, but now it's a lot more stable (though it still has a bunch of crashes that you learn to avoid as much as possible :p)

My major critic still would be that :
-it's VERY heavy on the computer when you're displaying several the tracks horizontally (no problem when it's one track vertically). Or it's just my PC, but it's pretty much useless to edit that way, just to play the song.
-some options for the non guitar/bass/drums instruments are kinda weird. If you choose whatever pipe in whatever tuning, you can't change it and only have a standard notation, no guitar tab style notation. So basically you're better off with using guitar tracks (where you have both standard and guitar notation available), and then changing the tuning and sound to whatever instrument you wanted.
Though this may be done that way to try to force people to actually read a standard notation, I don't know.

I didn't like the drums notation either at first, but then again you get used to it and it's not a problem anymore. I would even find it better now. You can't just hit 2 chinese at once for instance, but I don't know if it's common practice except for Gene Hoglan.

As for transferring tracks, it wasn't really stable at first, but they probably worked on it a bit, and except for the occasional weird harmonic or whatever, I have no problem.

Also GP6's RSE is much better than GP5.

Then there are a few other things, slides kind of suck (they used to be a bit too quick in GP5, now it's the contrary), so several types of slides would've been nice (quick, med, slow), as well as several degrees of palm muting (heavy, med, light).

But IMO, there comes a point where you'd better get some real music software and recording hardware.
Only thing I'm struggling with is creating a decent sound using the amps and effects. Would be great if a section could be set up on this site for people to share sounds they've created.
Yup', I too struggled to get a good sound.
I tab mostly Strapping Young Lad stuff, so a really heavy sound mostly in open C and not many standard chords. It may not be relevant to you, but best sound I achieved by using :
-D-chorus : set to soft, just to randomize the guitar sound a bit
-eddie amp : set to eddie I think, dist, gain 9, vol 8, the rest is up to you
-modern amp (so yes, 2 amps) : set to metal I think, lead, gain 2/3rd
-then the master of your choice
and you have one slot left to add either delay or another effect pedal, all that mostly with a Les Paul sound I think. Indicating the picking direction can help getting a better sound too (or not when you especially want a tight sound for a mechanical riff).

And then, you still have to setup the equalizer thing. I guess some knowledge in sound mixing would be helpful there, so I just try not to blast the volume of each instrument.

Oh yeah one last really annoying thing :
the drop down menu to change the instrument effects regularly fails to appear if you're trying to change the sound variation while playing (maybe when there's a lot of notes playing, I don't know), but it's REALLY annoying, and doesn't always happen, which is surprising, and even more frustrating when you have to hit play/pause again and again to change the sound setup.
Last edited by Falk_Oomikami at Nov 4, 2010,
it semms like they are trying to make Guitar Pro software like studio software or VSTI but it is fail and not necessary . They even removed tabs from drum and keyboard , reading won't be problem but writing will be bit trouble some. They are introducing GP6 as a backing band which is yet another fail.
For what it is worth, I did not buy GP6. There were just too many things against it. Sure it looks good but it still seems unstable and certainly does not handle previous versions files without significant work. For me, you may as well use Tuxguitar and save the £50.

And, I've said it before...........if Arobas are confident in their software, then provide a time limited full demo.
Quote by Shredder Shane
does tuxguitar open GP files?

Yes.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Excellent one, Really great and amazing sites, Thanks for shairng this nice information, But I am looking for full one.
Last edited by robertsu at Nov 20, 2010,
Never did like GP5. RSE was far too memory intensive for my old computer and trying to export the tracks as wav files always crashed it so I reverted back to GP4.

Meant to give it another go but I heard it had some issues with Windows 7 64 bit machines. How's the new one fare on a 64 bit machine and is it still as much as a memory hog as before?
i am using gp5, gp6 sucks, it needs a lot of memory and a good computer