Page 5 of 8
Quote by Tom 1.0
it seems great but there are no tabs that will open with it as they are all older versions

Guitar pro 6 should open all guitar pro files. the only ones it doesnt open are power tab files. If gp6 doesnt open gp5 files then maybe contact the site support.
Quote by vampvp
i am using gp5, gp6 sucks, it needs a lot of memory and a good computer

My computer is around 5 years old, a P4 3,2GHz mono core, 2GB of RAM and it run quite well with other software running.
i dunno if this is the right place to ask...

i've been working to tab this song : Sheila on 7 - Bertahan di sana...
i tab it using GP6 and according to the song, guitar 1 panned to the left and guitar 2 panned to the right... and i have problems when playing the tab from the 1st bar, the guitar 1 will stop making a sound starting from 28th bar... but whenever i played directly from 28th bar, the guitar 1 plays normally...

any solution??

PS: forgive my poor english, it's not my native language...
Attachments:
Bertahan disana.gpx
I've download GP6 nearly half a year ago, but never installed it due to people saying there were compatibility problems with GP tabs of older versions. Is this still the case?
all this guitar pro, pro tab bull is messed up. i come to this site to learn tabs i understand that the already 50% of the tabs / chord files that i am going to find are garbage but then you are basically telling me i need to down load some other shit just to find out that dosnt work. and this is after clicking no to the hundred and one adds that are contaminating my screen. this site has completely sold out good job ultimate guitar you are yet another waste of time on the internet. ill prob get banned for saying this but someone needs to.
Quote by swillybill

someone needs to.

No. No they don't.

Also I'm having some issues with GP6. The main one is that I can't work out how to put distortion/chorus on/change the level of a track/ change tempo mid song. On GP5 you could just right click and there was an option for all of this which would stick a red dot above the tab.

Halp?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90

how to put distortion/chorus on/change the level of a track/ change tempo mid song.

Once again GP customer assistance is there : http://getsatisfaction.guitar-pro.com/arobas_music

But I'll answer : on the right you have several panels that you can switch. One of them is the "effects" panel.
It allows you to define the amp, pedals, effects... used when playing the track.
You can define 4 different effect chain by track.

Use the drop down list on top of that panel where the settings name is displayed. You'll see other settings named "variation 2", "variation 3", "variation 4".
Select one of them and configure it (you can also load an existing preset). You can also rename it using the drop down and the "rename" option.

Once your effect chains defined, move your cursor to the location where you want to apply the effect change and go to : Edit -> Variations and select the effect chain to apply.

I agree that this is quite more complicated that what existed before but it's an habit to get.

thanks man, that really helped
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I'm not sure that this is a problem but I just want to check things out.

In some songs I just get no tab or notes in the middle of it, I mean, music still goes on just there are no tabs. I thought that it means that person who made tab just didn't do all song, but this happens with files which are high rated.

For example, I downloaded ''soothsayer'' tab, and there is like more than half song missing, this is how tab looks like (at least part of it):

http://i56.tinypic.com/2v1p7xf.jpg

So I started to doubt that anyone who made this tab simply didn't tab half of song and still got high 5 star rating. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Try opening another track - guitar 2, solo, etc. You should probably find that the music is contained in one of the other tracks.
i got guitar pro 6 and its just an awesome program.
i got a serial key from my uncle so all of you could try to download the trail and than search the web for a serial key? hope that works for you!
Guitar Pro 6 is very good software for new guitarists. I'm still using it and havent even got halfway though it!, U can download guitar tabs for the program on UG (UltimateGuitar), I would recommend this software to guitarists.
Last edited by murasame1 at Jan 5, 2011,
Okay, I think I'm gonna stick with GP5. Where can I get it in Australia?
I was wondering, when you go to the site and click on buy it says full version and upgrade. Is the upgrade for if you already downloaded the demo?
No, I guess the "upgrade" is for people that own a Guitar Pro 5 copy and want to upgrade it to Guitar Pro 6. It will cost a little less.
I think that if you buy it and have the demo installed, you just have to go to "help -> register...", put your ID.
Then it will download the missing files and transform your demo version to the full version.
Can anyone PM where I can get an ID and key? Or if someone has an ID and key I could use it will be much appreciated.
Quote by prsman27
Can anyone PM where I can get an ID and key? Or if someone has an ID and key I could use it will be much appreciated.

C'mon, it's $60.00, just buy it instead of stealing it.

If you can't do that, use one of the free alternatives like TuxGuitar or PowerTab.
I'm using guitar pro 5 and it was pretty amazing to use now there a new version I will download it
^you have to create the tracks as midi instead of as RSE

Quote by Arby911
C'mon, it's $60.00, just buy it instead of stealing it.

If you can't do that, use one of the free alternatives like TuxGuitar or PowerTab.

a thousand times this. It's such a cheap program for what it does, I couldn't justify not buying it.
Last edited by Darkflame at Feb 25, 2011,
Hello

I got Guitar Pro 6 but I am missing a important feature since v5 :

On the display of the fret, there are 2 Buttons < and > . In earlier version if I click on those on the tab I heard every single note, but in Guitar Pro 6 this isnt anymore.
Can someone help? I can't find the setting for this

Thank you in advance

Greetings
Hi, I bought guitar pro 6 and I am having trouble with it. I have searched google and it seems like nobody else is having this problem.

How do I specify the number of bars I want when I am setting up the score sheet? At the moment I have been laboriously inserting bars ONE AT A TIME which takes too long.

Also when I insert a bar, tab it, then insert another bar it appears before the bar I just tabbed. How do I change the settings so it gets inserted after.

I know these are basic questions, but if anyone out there has an answer I would be grateful.
This don't worth it at all...

1. RSE isn't really good...
2. Previous tabs that guitar switch for example distortion to clean doesn't work anymore...
3. I didn't find yet how to change guitar on the same guitar line i have to create another track...
4. The drum no longer work in number you got to learn a new system that take at least 3x more of your time...
5. Most of the time note lag, play twice, doesn't play or have problem... !
6. You doesn't have the keyboard board to see note on a keyboard like in GP5...
7. You only have one drum set...
8. You can't remove standard notation or number notation...

If im wrong at some point feel free to correct me...

Otherwise i'll say... Let just wait until there's major update...
Cause for now... I'd rather stay with GP5

-MDP
I tried GP6, I did not like the changes at all, everything was made more inconvenient, and I'm not interested in RSE at all, so I actually bought myself GP5 and got it yesterday, it is well worth the money if you ask me.
Ugh, I'm uninstalled GP6.
It's really inconvenient the fact that there are no tabs for instruments that aren't guitars.
Seriously, what is up with that?
I'm really confused with the logic that was behind that decision.
It's like they totally disregarded the hobbyists that like to use the program.

Disappointed kitty is disappointed.

The only thing that is nice is how it looks. But if it can't function...

Edit:
It's not even worth stealing let alone buying.
If you're going to buy, buy GP5 at this point.
Last edited by RockettBoy at May 18, 2011,
I want to keep guitar pro 5, the look of 6 doesn't appeal to me, especially from what I hear about the percussion and other instruments .... all I seem to be able to find is threads about updating from 5 to 6, but no one has confirmed if I can keep 5 and run 6 as well? Does anyone know? I really don't even want 6, but there seems to be so many gpx files being uploaded around here lately.

EDIT: Never mind. Found an awesome site that converts GPX to GP5
tab-exporter.com

problem solved
Last edited by Maniac1075 at May 20, 2011,
After a few months using it, I have to say I find the new way of tabbing drums really convenient. Yes I whined too at first that it was different in a bad way, but now, I find it really convenient.
Most of the time you only need a few different sounds for a drum pattern, so if you do things cleanly, use 2 tracks (which you can do in GP5 too I think) so you can lay the kick on the second track, and all the rest (well, mostly snare, toms and cymbals) on the first.
That way, your beats are easily identifiable without having to use countless "silence" or pointed notes to fit the difference in note length.
Lets say you've got a metal beat with 8 snare and a different pattern of sixteenth kick drum.
In GP6, go on the 1st sub-track, place your snare in 8th by simply placing your cursor between the 3rd and 4th line, and hit either 1 2 or 3. 1 makes a basic snare sound, 2 a harder snare, 3 a stick (or rim) sound.
Then go to the 2nd sub track, place your cursor on the first line, and hit 1, you get a kick sound.
If you want to change your beat afterwards, your snares and kicks will be easily editable.
It seems confusing at first, but once you use it a bit and remember what each line/key corresponds to, it's really convenient.
No more having to hit "35" or "41" for a kick or a snare a countless amount of times. Just put your cursor on the right line and hit 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending of the number of different sound there is for a "type" of drum sound.

I agree though there are still some drawbacks. The way you change a guitar sound (to go from distortion to clean throughout the song for instance) is awkward and really unintuitive, maybe even buggy (I mostly tab Strapping Young Lad so I don't really need to switch to a clean guitar .
And overall the software is a bit heavy on the computer (particularly when you display several tracks).

I think you can use guitar tabs for other instruments, you just have to change the sound, it's a bit weird though that it's not available by default for other instrument.

Btw, you have the keyboard display if use a keyboard track (ctrl+F6), and the guitar neck if you use a guitar. By default it switches automatically depending on the track, but you can choose whether you want to see the keyboard or guitar neck, on either a keyboard or guitar track.

Thee RSE is a bit of a PitA, but once you get a nice sound, it's not too bad. Better than midi IMO.

I think you can remove standard notation on string instruments tracks, F6.
Personally, I've found Guitar Pro 6 to be better for composing my own material. When it comes to transcribing existing material, I'll use Guitar Pro 5, mainly because I'm still used to it, and I think that more people have Guitar Pro 5 than 6. I'll wait a bit before I start releasing tabs in Guitar Pro 6.
Yes It's fantastic GP6(that i tried at a friend's home) but i saw on internet that there are a lot of programs very similar to it but free like tuxguitar........but i think that it's only for linux isn't it??
Quote by Mark1433
Yes It's fantastic GP6(that i tried at a friend's home) but i saw on internet that there are a lot of programs very similar to it but free like tuxguitar........but i think that it's only for linux isn't it??

No TuxGuitar exist for Linux, Windows & Mac.
I stick with GP as I personnally love using the RSE (Real Sound Engine) in GP (which is quite cheap compared to some more "professional" oriented tools) but yes TuxG has the advantage of being free .
I thought GP6 was well-worth the money spent. The interface is so much easier to work with. Learn how to use it before you put it down.
^^^ i have avoided GP6 because of all the complaints and after a year they are still complaining. but i have seen a-lot of changes to the program that i like from there whats new page .

but still haven't seen enough to shell out the $60 .
GP6 is alright, but I do get error codes now and then...
Pretty annoying if I have not saved my work, since all of it will be lost.
To be honest, most of what you can do on GP6, can be done at TuxGuitar. But one thing that I think is great with GP6 is that you can choose scales and add a fretboard that shows where every note in the scale are (and there is a shitload of scales, and chords too).
Also, the design is better, sound is too, but it's not really important since you can do most of the same thing at TuxGuitar.. which is free.