Page 5 of 55
Quote by Benjibum
I only REALLY like The Amory Wars and Johnny The Homicidal Maniac

The Amory Wars is a love/hate thing.

I love them. A lot. I love connecting the books to the lyrics and whatnot.

BUT, if you're not a BIG Coheed fan, they are slow, tedious, meandering comics that aren't all that exciting. Yes, they have their moments, but if you read all of "The Second State Turbine Blade Vol. 1", you just feel like you've wasted so much time. It was a massive build up to Vol. 2, which wasn't released for years afterward.

Like I said, I love them, and was able to get past its bad sides, but if you're just a casual fan, you may have trouble reading them.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Pookie6
Ehhh, maybe he could have been good, but Hugh Jackman like i said played him perfectly. I prefer Ana Paquin and how she played Rogue better, not just cause she hot(cause she is haha) but the slang and stuff really bugged the crap out of me.

Nah... Jackman's not Wolverine. No way. I respect him as an actor... but everything from the hair, the attitude, everything screams "Broadway!" lol Oh wait... he was in Broadway, doh! I still think that dude would of done a waaaay better job. He was born to play Wolvie. I remember hearing all about that director, whatever his name is, in all the mags, everyone talking about him like he was a god or something... right away, I knew it was bad. He stripped away all the little things that made the comic book so cool. Why change the costumes? Why try to make it realistic? I give the Sin city and 300 directors a lot of credit for having the balls to make it as close to the book as possible, like the Snyder dude's trying for Watchmen. When I saw the first Xmen movie I said "Ok... it was good... but this wasn't what I grew up reading!" It just wasn't it. The dude that played Iceman??? Dude looks like he's straight out of a soap opera. IceMan should of been some punk rock kid, crazy, wild. I can go on forever about the film... but it's a waste of time. Oh... and as much as I loved the Spidey films... I still think Tobey Mguire was another bad cast. It's all about visuals man... specially in comics, characters have to look bad ass. Spiderman's a dork, yeah, but in the comic, as soon as the glasses come off, the dude looks like a bad ass. Tobey... sigh. I'm just glad Marvel's got full control of their movies now... hopefully thay start changing stuff... for their own good. (and us fan boys)
"Recycling and speed limits are bullshit...They're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed."
So I just set a new life goal, Comic book Writer/Creator (Because I'm not good enough to be the artist). Along side my Writer/Director/Actor goal (Yes I like to set high goals wanna fight about it?) I just really want to be a Writer someday. So wish me luck in my future. Still have a long ways to go since I'm only 16 and all but yeah.

Also, I'm in need of some new comics, preferably ones that just recently came out or only have like around 20ish issues out. Any suggestions?
Quote by KlassikMetal666
So I just set a new life goal, Comic book Writer/Creator (Because I'm not good enough to be the artist). Along side my Writer/Director/Actor goal (Yes I like to set high goals wanna fight about it?) I just really want to be a Writer someday. So wish me luck in my future. Still have a long ways to go since I'm only 16 and all but yeah.

Also, I'm in need of some new comics, preferably ones that just recently came out or only have like around 20ish issues out. Any suggestions?

that's cool dude, good luck. Have you read the Walking Dead yet???? i just got the first volume yeterday... it's sick!
"Recycling and speed limits are bullshit...They're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed."
Yes I have indeed read the Walking Dead, I've already mentioned it a few times in this thread already.

I just started reading this comic called "The Boys" by Garth Ennis. It's pretty dope.
The original Amazing Spiderman series is fantastic, Id recommend anyone to buy one of the Essential books.
[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q264/chw42/spiderjamesPJsig.png[/IMG]
Quote by KlassikMetal666
Yes I have indeed read the Walking Dead, I've already mentioned it a few times in this thread already.

I just started reading this comic called "The Boys" by Garth Ennis. It's pretty dope.

oops, lol my bad. hey, about that book I had in mind? change of plans. lol I think you'll dig my new idea. the psycho killer book makes for a good one shot, short story. this new one'll make a great graphic novel. I can't say much about it till I come into agreements and or get a copyright... it's called "Adam" btw, what are you planning on doing? comic work wise?
I'm not sure. Probably something horror related or futuristic or both. I haven't really sat down and thought of an idea for a comic book since well, I'm a bit young it's still going to be a long while till I send my ideas to publishers.

Right now I'm more thinking of film ideas/writing screenplays. I'm hoping I'll have a film out by the time I'm 21.

Well a low low low budget Indie film, but still.
Quote by KlassikMetal666
I'm not sure. Probably something horror related or futuristic or both. I haven't really sat down and thought of an idea for a comic book since well, I'm a bit young it's still going to be a long while till I send my ideas to publishers.

Right now I'm more thinking of film ideas/writing screenplays. I'm hoping I'll have a film out by the time I'm 21.

Well a low low low budget Indie film, but still.

that's sweet dude... sky's the limit. if you get something solid, I'll be happy to do some stuff for you. (can't promise it'll be on the spot, but I'll surely do it)
Sorry if this defeats the whole purpose of a comic book, but I really need a website that displays all the pages of comics, or downloads them. The reason I ask is because I have no stores in my town that supply comics, aside from The Simpsons, which I don't much care for. I'm DYING to read Preacher because it looks cool as **** haha. Thanks in advance.
Quote by dio_dude
Sorry if this defeats the whole purpose of a comic book, but I really need a website that displays all the pages of comics, or downloads them. The reason I ask is because I have no stores in my town that supply comics, aside from The Simpsons, which I don't much care for. I'm DYING to read Preacher because it looks cool as **** haha. Thanks in advance.

Could always buy it off amazon
Quote by dio_dude

There isn't any websites really out there, i've looked alot, but there's a program called CDisplay that you can read comics through by downloading CDR file torrents on any site really. They kinda of take a bit of time cause not many people seed them but you gotta do what you gotta do right?

Quote by GiantRaven
Could always buy it off amazon

This too. Or the places website maybe.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
Quote by KlassikMetal666
No doubt, that'd be cool.

You should check out "The Boys" sometime, it's sick.

I will, I think I saw it at the shop. What's it about?

for those who haven't read this... "The Walking Dead" a must read!

Last edited by ocelott at Jan 17, 2009,
It's about this group of like CIA agents whose job is to pretty much keep an eye on superheroes and like they intimidate them and sometimes kill them haha.

From the issues I've read so far, it's really good. Lots of gore and mature content just the way I like my comic books.
Quote by KlassikMetal666
It's about this group of like CIA agents whose job is to pretty much keep an eye on superheroes and like they intimidate them and sometimes kill them haha.

From the issues I've read so far, it's really good. Lots of gore and mature content just the way I like my comic books.

will do!

What's Watchmen like/what's it about? I was tempted to buy it when I saw the paperback issue but I wasn't sure if it was worth the 25 dollars or not.

I'm thinking of getting that and Stephen King's Dark Tower graphic novels asap maybe, I'm not to sure though.
Quote by KlassikMetal666
What's Watchmen like/what's it about? I was tempted to buy it when I saw the paperback issue but I wasn't sure if it was worth the 25 dollars or not.

I'm thinking of getting that and Stephen King's Dark Tower graphic novels asap maybe, I'm not to sure though.

I'll copy what flallenangel said about it: "Think of it as the 1980s, superheroes are commonplace, but they don't actually have powers. They're glorified vigilantes who serve for the common good.

You see into their lives, and, really, how absurd it would be to ACTUALLY have super heroes. It takes a real-life approach to a very fantastical idea."

I highly recommend it.

As for The Dark Tower novels, i would advise you not to. If you really want to go ahead, but my friend got the one based on the first book and i guess it was written really badly and left out a ton of stuff.
I have the 1st Dark Tower graphic novel, but really it's just a cut down version of the Hambry events of Wizard and Glass with a few extra scenes King didn't include in the book thrown in.

Not a massive fan of the art style either.

edit: well in Watchmen superheroes aren't commonplace anymore, they've been largely outlawed by the government and only the ones who'll play along with the government are allowed to operate (Dr Manhattan and The Comedian)

And it all kicks off when The Comedian is apparently thrown out of his own appartment window...

Former masked vigilantes then investigate his death, and that's all you need to know.
Last edited by freedoms_stain at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by KlassikMetal666

Watchmen, was the first book I ever bought and said "I paid that for this masterpiece???" They just re-released the first issue... so check it out!!! Alan Moore's the best.

Last edited by ocelott at Jan 17, 2009,
SPAWN...Al Simmons is now dead, after almost 200 issues. Todd McFarlane has finally decided to revamp his creation and is now teaming up with Whilce Portacio to re-launch a newer, better Spawn...? I think they should bring back Greg Capullo.

CREATE A STORY FOR ONE EYED JACK!!! WHAT IS THIS COMIC ABOUT!?!?!?

Quote by ocelott
SPAWN...Al Simmons is now dead, after almost 200 issues. Todd McFarlane has finally decided to revamp his creation and is now teaming up with Whilce Portacio to re-launch a newer, better Spawn...? I think they should bring back Greg Capullo.

From what i've read so far of the new issues, they're pretty good and I actually look forward to getting the new issue every month...
Gigs:
2006 - Motorhead
2008 - Feeder
2009 - Sonisphere
2010 - Feeder
2011 - Yes
2011 - Zappa plays Zappa
2012 - Mastodon, Chimaira, Adrenaline Mob, Young Guns, Alestorm, Motorhead/Anthrax, Dying Fetus, You Me At Six
Quote by deluxe_man
From what i've read so far of the new issues, they're pretty good and I actually look forward to getting the new issue every month...

reaaly? wow. you're talking about the McFarlane new ones right??? i gotta check em out then
The Walking Dead - Great comic
The Darkness
Spawn
Wanted
30 Days of Night
I like Scotch...... Its good
Oh just saw this thread.

I'm trying to get into graphic novels, so I'm going to buy Watchmen and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

Are these good starting points?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Oh just saw this thread.

I'm trying to get into graphic novels, so I'm going to buy Watchmen and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

ya those are good graphic novels, I suggest you pick up the first "the walking dead" novel, really good stuff right there
I like Scotch...... Its good
Quote by Staind4201
ya those are good graphic novels, I suggest you pick up the first "the walking dead" novel, really good stuff right there
Alright, I'll check that out.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Staind4201

Walking dead is prob the best comic I've read... besides Watchmen.
I just read Watchmen for a second time, I love it. There are so many subtle things in that you miss the first time.

I just picked up the "Welcome Back Frank" Punisher graphic novel, and it is really good. I've always been interested in the character, but before that I'd never really read anything with him, so I took a chance on this and I'm glad I did.
awesome... I hope Watchmen the movie does the book justice.
Quote by ocelott
awesome... I hope Watchmen the movie does the book justice.

Me too. There's a good chance they are because the trailer looks really freaking good. I was just reading some more of it and was thinking that the movie will be really relly good if it holds true to the book.
Just read Batman: The Killing Joke, really good. You get an amazing feeling from the Joker the whole way through.

Also is Maus any good. I saw it for 16 quid in Waterstones and was intruiged.
"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
Quote by element4433
Oh just saw this thread.

Definitely.

^Encyclopedia, Maus is one of the greatest books I have ever read. You can probably get it cheaper on amazon though.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
^Encyclopedia, Maus is one of the greatest books I have ever read. You can probably get it cheaper on amazon though.

Everything is cheaper on the internet. I dunno how the traditional bookshop will survive. But I'll pick it up soon.
"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
Quote by Pookie6
Me too. There's a good chance they are because the trailer looks really freaking good. I was just reading some more of it and was thinking that the movie will be really relly good if it holds true to the book.

NEW TRAILER... looks awesome. just like the book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VLA0tg5yI0
That was one messed up ending to The Watchmen, man.
Ahhhhhhhhhh Watchmen I cannot wait for the movie
Quote by metabolicmaggot
Win. +1 cookie for hide the beer.