Page 1 of 3
IRISH_PUNK13
Whoomit's campaign dude
2,151 IQ
Okay I've heard people classify these guys as proto punk so I was wondering if there are any other bands that have a simillar sound?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
xX*Zeppelin*Xx
jamming econo
1,398 IQ
proto punk... check out television, the flamin' groovies, the dictators, patti smith and the modern lovers.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Never heard of them.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
proto punk... check out television, the flamin' groovies, the dictators, patti smith and the modern lovers.

The Dictators? Really?
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
The 'Tators sound nothing like VU.

But man do I love me some Go Girl Crazy!
Buck's Student
Banned
10 IQ
Sonic Youth, anyone?

I wouldn't classify them as anything with the word punk in it, but they all had a lot to do with it. Especially John Cale.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

Me too.

Lou Reed's solo music would be an obvious thing to look into.
neidnarb11890
so bored with the USA
270 IQ
The Jesus & Mary Chain sound like what The Velvet Underground would sound like if they liked the Ramones and had six times as much distortion.
Buck's Student
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by werty22
Me too.

John Cale's Sabotage album is one of the greatest punk albums, of all time! Lou never did anything like that.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by Buck's Student
John Cale's Sabotage album is one of the greatest punk albums, of all time! Lou never did anything like that.

Metal Machine Music is the best album in history.
neidnarb11890
so bored with the USA
270 IQ
Quote by werty22
Metal Machine Music is the best album in history.

Beat me to it.
It's the very essence of punk rock. *-)
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
The early THOMAS FUNCTION demos sound alot like THE VELVET UNDERGROUND
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
xX*Zeppelin*Xx
jamming econo
1,398 IQ
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

nah, i was just listing proto punk bands. truth be told, there is really very little from the proto punk era that actually sounds like the VU. if we're not limiting ourselves to that, then check out

Suicide
Spacemen 3
Galaxie 500
Young Marble Giants

Swell Maps might be worth a listen too.
Gnomefry
TEQUILA!
1,814 IQ
I love the Velvet Underground. Television has sort of a similar feel or whatever you want to call it. Dictator's Two Tub Man- "I think Lou Reed is a creep."
Last edited by Gnomefry at Apr 11, 2010,
Buck's Student
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by Gnomefry
I love the Velvet Underground. Television has sort of a similar feel or whatever you want to call it. Dictator's Two Tub Man- "I think Lou Reed is a creep."

Television were a bit more... Clean. Not nearly as noisy.
neidnarb11890
so bored with the USA
270 IQ
Quote by RizzoWashburn
This. Lou Reed's solo stuff is shit compared to Cale's. Anybody who says otherwise is a deaf hipster.

Yeah, but we all know Mo Tucker's is the best.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Yeah, Lou Reed's solo stuff seems kind of hackneyed, but he's got some good pop songs. Transformer is a little bit interesting because of Mick Ronson and David Bowie's parts in it. And The Blue Mask is awesome just because Robert Quine played on it.

I never took the time to listen to John Cale until today. I didn't really care for it. I was hoping for something less conventional. The songs I heard from Sabotage were pretty neat though.
IRISH_PUNK13
Whoomit's campaign dude
2,151 IQ
Well I'm a huge Sonic youth junkie, and I like Jesus Mary chain. I guess I'll check out the other bands listed...
Also I agree that Lou Reeds solo work wasn't that great, I like some of his solo stuff but it's just not as good as VU.
Thanks.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
xX*Zeppelin*Xx
jamming econo
1,398 IQ
jesus, lou reed's solo stuff is pretty awesome. i mean, there's a lot of shit and most of it fades in comparison to the 4 VU albums (or john cale's best) but there's some good stuff. street hassle, berlin, the blue mask, transfromer, new york... he's made some great albums.

also, i reckon vintage violence is john cale's best album. paris 1919 is great too though.
IRISH_PUNK13
Whoomit's campaign dude
2,151 IQ
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
jesus, lou reed's solo stuff is pretty awesome. i mean, there's a lot of shit and most of it fades in comparison to the 4 VU albums (or john cale's best) but there's some good stuff. street hassle, berlin, the blue mask, transfromer, new york... he's made some great albums.

also, i reckon vintage violence is john cale's best album. paris 1919 is great too though.

Well I meant that it wasn't as good as his VU work, I likke his solo work, I actually listen to his stuff quite a bit.
Maybe I worded my last post the wrong way.
Quote by L2112Lif
DanRev
Boom/Bap?
129 IQ
Been listening pretty religiously again.

Pale Blue Eyes is pretty much perfect, I'd passed over that third album in favour of &Nico (her voice irritates me nowadays) and WLWH back when I had my last VU phase, but it's got some great bits on it.
IRISH_PUNK13
Whoomit's campaign dude
2,151 IQ
Quote by DanRev
Been listening pretty religiously again.

Pale Blue Eyes is pretty much perfect, I'd passed over that third album in favour of &Nico (her voice irritates me nowadays) and WLWH back when I had my last VU phase, but it's got some great bits on it.

Yeah at first I thought her voice was good, but now I can't stand her...
I've been listening to their self titled album alot rescently.
Quote by L2112Lif
neidnarb11890
so bored with the USA
270 IQ
I never liked Nico's singing, but I don't skip her tracks anymore.
I need to get the self-titled album still. I have the first two & Loaded.

I rock White Light/White Heat the most. "Here She Comes Now" and "Sister Ray" are my favorites, for completely opposite reasons.
IRISH_PUNK13
Whoomit's campaign dude
2,151 IQ
I always liked 'Here she comes now', and 'What goes on'..
'Heroin' has to be my favorite just cause the song structure.
Quote by L2112Lif
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
I like a few Nico songs. Most aren't good. And she's awful at singing.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Yeah, I don't like Nico much. All Tommorrow's Parties is a kewl song, but I think I'd like it better with Lou singing.
Buck's Student
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by RizzoWashburn
My favorite John Cale albums are Words For The Dying (I'm a huge Dylan Thomas fan) and Paris 1919.

It's is worth mentioning Songs For Drella, the Cale/Reed collaboration. Brilliant.

Sabotage, The Island Years (Three albums in a two disk set), and Paris 1919. I pretty much like his entire seventies works, including collaborations.

...but, I'd never put Lou Reed down, other than he's always "tough guy", and he's written some of the most pansyassed stuff ever. I mean that in a good way. Satellite of Love is a great song.

Note on Nico: She was huge in Europe, or at least France. She was reduced to traveling in a station wagon before her death.
Last edited by Buck's Student at Apr 13, 2010,
IRISH_PUNK13
Whoomit's campaign dude
2,151 IQ
Quote by Buck's Student
It's is worth mentioning Songs For Drella, the Cale/Reed collaboration. Brilliant.

Sabotage, The Island Years (Three albums in a two disk set), and Paris 1919. I pretty much like his entire seventies works, including collaborations.

...but, I'd never put Lou Reed down, other than he's always "tough guy", and he's written some of the most pansyassed stuff ever. I mean that in a good way. Satellite of Love is a great song.

Note on Nico: She was huge in Europe, or at least France. She was reduced to traveling in a station wagon before her death.

Did you seriously just say that Lou Reed is always tough guy?
I've never though of him like that.
But I do agree about the way he writes...
I guess that's what makes him so great.
Quote by L2112Lif
Buck's Student
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Did you seriously just say that Lou Reed is always tough guy?
I've never though of him like that.
But I do agree about the way he writes...
I guess that's what makes him so great.

He generally tries to put on a macho act. Or, at least his attitude is usually "**** off, don't mess".
RawPower218
841 IQ
Nico's 3 (or 4) songs on The Velvet Underground & Nico are great and it really annoys me when people say they suck.
xX*Zeppelin*Xx
jamming econo
1,398 IQ
eh, i'm a nico fan but here voice is pretty hit and miss. there are moments in songs like femme fatale where i'll think "wow, the timbre of that is pretty gorgeous", in some other songs her voice is just grating.
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
I like "The Marble Index" the John Cale / Nico collaboration album, but its not very accessible.

I love Lou Reed and Jonathan Richmond. Jonathan and the Modern Lovers are definitely in the proto punk arena. And seeing Jonathan live is really, really fun. He's incredibly accessible as an artist. And check out Jonathan Richmond's other major influences--the early Stooges and the MC5s.
Buck's Student
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by werty22
...It's Richman.

Grammar police?

I never cared for the Modern Lovers, but love Jerry Harrison. I think his work in Talking Heads is so overlooked. Great guitar player.
empty bathtub
16 IQ
Quote by werty22
Me too.

Transformer is really great. OHH IT'S SUCH A PERFECT DAY
"discos are preparing our youth for the reaction speeds neccessary for world war 3."
empty bathtub
16 IQ
Quote by RawPower218
Nico's 3 (or 4) songs on The Velvet Underground & Nico are great and it really annoys me when people say they suck.

"I'll Be Your Mirror" is killer.
"discos are preparing our youth for the reaction speeds neccessary for world war 3."