Just to get your point of view, this is a battle between the best two guitar companies (my opinion)

ESP Standard Series Eclipse II
* Mahogany body with carved quilted maple top
* Set mahogany neck
* 24-3/4" scale
* Rosewood fretboard
* 42mm bone nut
* Thin U neck contour
* EMG-81 (bridge) and EMG-60 (neck) active humbuckers
* 22 extra-jumbo frets
* Chrome hardware
* Gotoh Magnum locking tuners
* Gotoh Tune-o-matic-style bridge with stopbar tailpiece
* 2 volume and 2 tone controls with 3-way switching
* White binding on body, neck, and headstock

Gibson Les Paul Standard

* Body Wood: Chambered mahogany
* Top wood: Plain maple
* Scale Length: 24-3/4"
* Neck Joint: Set-in
* Neck Wood: Mahogany
* Fretboard: Rosewood
* Plek'd on Gibson PLek Machine
* Neck Shape: Asymetrical
* Frets: 22
* Nut Width: 1.695"
* Fretboard Radius: 12"
* Bridge: TonePros locking Nashville Tune-O-Matic
* Tailpiece: Locking TonePros
* Pickup Bridge: Burstbucker Pro with Alnico V
* Pickup Neck: Burstbucker Pro with Alnico V
* Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone with gold-plated Bourns-designed pots, 3-way pickup selector
* Tuners: Locking Grover
* Jack: Neutrik locking
* Hardware: Chrome
* Binding: top and neck
* Finish: Lacquer

Those are the specs for both guitars.
Two completely different guitars in both feel and sound,

the only thing they have in common is they have a single cuttout.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Two completely different guitars in both feel and sound,

the only thing they have in common is they have a single cuttout.

don't forget the carved top
Yeah now that I think about it u can't compare a blues guitar to a metal guitar and decide which ones better.
Quote by Slashestranged
Yeah now that I think about it u can't compare a blues guitar to a metal guitar and decide which ones better.

Well i wouldn't really call a gibson les paul a blues guitar, because they're also good for rock and hard rock, sometimes metal
Well, I prefer the ESP the neck, for me, is much more comfortable than the gibson and it has a really nice EMG combo and finally, it just looks better (IMO).
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
There's nothing to compare them on. You might as well be comparing a Fender Strat to a Kramer Baretta. Apart from the basic outline and a couple of generic features, they're nothing alike and intended for two quite different uses and tones.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
This is the guitar equivalent of comparing Ford vs Chevy.

It doesn't matter what the spec sheet says. Get what you like and not what other people tell you to like.
Do not settle. If you want a Les Paul buy one. I do not give a crap what others say about other guitars. Get what you want if you buy brand XXX because some goof on the internut said it is as good blah blah you will only be disappointed.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Last edited by Bhaok at Apr 11, 2010,
Quote by Bhaok
Do not settle. If you want a Les Paul buy one. I do not give a crap what others say about other guitars. Get what you want if you buy brand XXX because some goof on the internut said it is as good blah blah you will only be disappointed.

I would hardly say that buying an ESP Standard series is settling at all. In fact I would probably say it's a better use of your money if anything. It all depends, if you are playing more hard rock and metal, the ESP is better for that and if you play more classic rock, lighter rock the Les Paul would be better. Through a good amp they are both going to sound great. Personally I like the ESP's better because they are lighter, thinner and a prefer the neck more and it's just more comfortable overall. Go try both out at the store and see which you prefer.
Quote by Arterial
Well, the Gibsons gonna be a few thousand more dollars.

Actually the Gibson standard is only about $600 more Eclipse Standard
Quote by ttimeshredder
I would hardly say that buying an ESP Standard series is settling at all. In fact I would probably say it's a better use of your money if anything. It all depends, if you are playing more hard rock and metal, the ESP is better for that and if you play more classic rock, lighter rock the Les Paul would be better. Through a good amp they are both going to sound great. Personally I like the ESP's better because they are lighter, thinner and a prefer the neck more and it's just more comfortable overall. Go try both out at the store and see which you prefer.

This. In fact they are really two quite different beasts.
Quote by SilverRock113
Actually the Gibson standard is only about $600 more Eclipse Standard

Hmm, well thats the Standards =P
A custom on the other hand...

nevermind, just read which gibson it was. =.=
Two different beasts. You really can compare shape, bridge, and wood, and that's about it lol. The ESP is thinner, lighter, and has EMG's. It's a metal-oriented guitar. It's not going to have that warm tone a Gibson will have. The Gibson is a thicker chunk of wood, and it's got a much warmer tone.

Personally, I'd take the ESP, since I play more metal than anything else.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by ttimeshredder

Yes an ESP is settling. Do not fall into the bullshit that a Gibson is not suitable for hard rock and metal. Do you think metal appeared because some thin necked monstrosity appeared on the market? It is a different guitar. Good yes but,not the same.If it is a Gibson Les Paul you want save your pennies and buy it. If you buy something else because some goof on the internut recommended it then you will more then likely fall into the what if trap.
Bhaok

Quote by Bhaok
Yes an ESP is settling. Do not fall into the bullshit that a Gibson is not suitable for hard rock and metal. Do you think metal appeared because some thin necked monstrosity appeared on the market? It is a different guitar. Good yes but,not the same.If it is a Gibson Les Paul you want save your pennies and buy it. If you buy something else because some goof on the internut recommended it then you will more then likely fall into the what if trap.

I never said it wasn't suited for it. I said that the ESP would be better suited for metal, not that there was anything wrong with the Gibson. Just like I said that the Gibson would be better suited for classic rock than the ESP, not that you couldn't play classic rock with the ESP, or that it was bad. I've played quite a few Gibsons and ESPs and by my judgement I am basing my statement on that, not what other people on the internet say. ESP is a good guitar company just like Gibson is. Just because Gibson's cost more doesn't mean that you are settling by buying a guitar that costs less. So why would someone listen to you recommending a Gibson over an ESP, you are just another "goof on the internut" right? Oh wait, but that would be hypocritical wouldn't it, uh oh ...
Quote by ttimeshredder
I never said it wasn't suited for it. I said that the ESP would be better suited for metal, not that there was anything wrong with the Gibson. Just like I said that the Gibson would be better suited for classic rock than the ESP, not that you couldn't play classic rock with the ESP, or that it was bad. I've played quite a few Gibsons and ESPs and by my judgement I am basing my statement on that, not what other people on the internet say. ESP is a good guitar company just like Gibson is. Just because Gibson's cost more doesn't mean that you are settling by buying a guitar that costs less. So why would someone listen to you recommending a Gibson over an ESP, you are just another "goof on the internut" right? Oh wait, but that would be hypocritical wouldn't it, uh oh ...

Yep I am just another goof on the internut no different then anyone else. But, I have about 50 years of life experience and know for a fact if you want anything be it a guitar,car or any other item and that if you settle for anything other then what you originally set out to get the chances are pretty damm good you will quickly fall into the sentiment of what if I had gotten what I wanted in the first place. The ESP is a good guitar. I never said it was not. It just is not a Les Paul. YMMV ETTLDP IMNSHO
Bhaok

Quote by Bhaok
Yep I am just another goof on the internut no different then anyone else. But, I have about 50 years of life experience and know for a fact if you want anything be it a guitar,car or any other item and that if you settle for anything other then what you originally set out to get the chances are pretty damm good you will quickly fall into the sentiment of what if I had gotten what I wanted in the first place. The ESP is a good guitar. I never said it was not. It just is not a Les Paul. YMMV ETTLDP IMNSHO

But he never absolutely said he wanted a Les Paul in the first place. He is just doing a vs. thread. IDK if the TS really wants to buy anything or what genre he plays or if he's just doing this for shits and giggles or what. The two guitars are quite different and personally for my style of guitar playing I'd rather have the ESP.
I love both guitars, and both are very different. I own a traditional plus Gibson LP, and I just bought an ESP EC-401. As others have said, I got the ESP to cover metal. The LP can do it, but I like having it setup one way 1/2 step down....whereas the ESP I'm going to drop down into full step or drop C. I love my Gibson so much setup in 1/2 step down and its tone is so warm, but it doesnt quite have the balls that the EMG's do for harder rock and metal. It can do it, just not quite as well. Overall very different guitars.......but very awesome guitars.
Okay, as already stated, they're marketed towards different kind of players. The Esp is pure metal (well, you could of course play anything, but with varying results) and the Gibson can do a little bit of this and a little bit of that but won't sound like an Esp with EMG's do.

It's up to the player to decide, because they certainly doesn't feel the same. With that said, the Esp is in my experience a much better build. I've played a couple of Gibson Standard and none have been without flaws. No serious flaws, but certainly something I wouldn't want on such an expensive instrument. The Esp's on the other hand, is probably the best built production line of guitars I've ever played. They're as close to perfect as you can get.

I prefer Esp over Gibson everytime. Can't understand why someone would buy a Gibson over it really, but I know people do it...
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by MrFlibble
There's nothing to compare them on. You might as well be comparing a Fender Strat to a Kramer Baretta. Apart from the basic outline and a couple of generic features, they're nothing alike and intended for two quite different uses and tones.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?