Doomality
427 IQ
Gentle Giant, echolyn, The Muffins, and King Crimson or among some of my favourite bands. I just recently (beginning of this year) have really started to take an interest in progressive music. What's your favourite prog bands?

(hint: Don't use Rush. We already know they are Canada's best achievement. )
Benny_W
42 IQ
Dream Theater & The Mars Volta (only de-loused in the crematorium)
Ignoring people's opinions since 1987
kennykenny
UG's Matlock
127 IQ
Animals as Leaders
Most of my grindcore inspiration comes from my hard drive.
benonbass1
1,717 IQ
There are loads of good prog bands, especially with the rise of "new prog" with bands such as: Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Protest the Hero, Coheed and Cambria, Beardfish, Between the Buried and Me, Bigelf and Tool, to name a few.

I also suggest you guys check out Math Rock, a more mordern offshoot of Prog, and atm by far my favourite type of music. Check out Colour, Battles and This Town Needs Guns, and maybe iwrestledabearonce if you want something heavy
Vinster23
18 IQ
Wow... there's so many good progressive bands ! Ok let's see... Camel, Cynic, Liquid Tension Experiment, Emerson lake and Palmer, Kaipa, Frost (the album Milliontown is pure genius !), Gordian Knot, Animals as Leaders, Scale the Summit, Spock's beard, The Dixie Dregs (with Steve Morse !), etc...

Check out this website, it should help: http://www.progarchives.com/

(and btw, The Mars Volta suck ! just like Tool do !)
Vinster23
18 IQ
Oh sorry i forgot to say Spiral Architect...! Those guys are amazing !
benonbass1
1,717 IQ
Quote by Vinster23
Wow... there's so many good progressive bands ! Ok let's see... Camel, Cynic, Liquid Tension Experiment, Emerson lake and Palmer, Kaipa, Frost (the album Milliontown is pure genius !), Gordian Knot, Animals as Leaders, Scale the Summit, Spock's beard, The Dixie Dregs (with Steve Morse !), etc...

Check out this website, it should help: http://www.progarchives.com/

(and btw, The Mars Volta suck ! just like Tool do !)

Whether you like Tool or not, they must certainly do not suck...

That is a great website; ridiculously comprehensive! You will find anything on there.

Also, no one has mentioned Yes or Genesis yet!
romencer17
Take it easy, but take it
1,928 IQ
Akercocke - progressive blackened death metal
Cynic - progressive technical death metal
Death - somewhat progressive death metal
Enslaved - progressive black metal
Ihsahn - progressive metal
Opeth - progressive metal
Quo Vadis - progressive technical melodic death metal

and of course the classics, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Camel, Yes, such and such yaddayaddayadda
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Prog subforum anyone?
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
lookpizza
Party Hard
1,566 IQ
I hate almost any band that labels themselves as "progressive"
I'm an asshole.
soundgarden19
851 IQ
King Crimson
Mars Volta
Tool
Sonic Youth (I would call them progressive, I'm sure some would disagree with me though)
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
hockeyplayer168
47 IQ
Not exactly sure how progressive they are but The Receiving End of Sirens is a band I always enjoyed that hasn't been named. Here's their song The Rival Cycle .
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
I grope sires

...v
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
goldmember1217
No Cure For Fools
411 IQ
Quote by romencer17

Quo Vadis - progressive technical melodic death metal

I'm sorry, but I lol'd.

New prog is the shit. Pure Reason Revolution, Closure In Moscow, Oceansize, Aereogramme, Muse (debatable), The Dear Hunter, TMV, etc.
flabber.gast
21 IQ
I recommend you get the album Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh by Magma. It's ****ing badass, like an epic progged out Klingon Opera.

They sing in an imaginary language called Kobaian that kind of sounds like German and there's a whole mythology about them being from outer space and an intergalactic prophecy and shit, and the music is so awesome that something as retarded and pretentious as that doesn't even bother me. That's saying a lot i think.
romencer17
1,928 IQ
Quote by goldmember1217
I'm sorry, but I lol'd.

why? They genuinely mix elements of melodic death metal and technical death metal, while also making it progressive.

Sumdeus
goldmember1217
No Cure For Fools
411 IQ
Quote by romencer17
why? They genuinely mix elements of melodic death metal and technical death metal, while also making it progressive.

I laughed at the super long genre name, not the band you mentioned (I've never listened to them).
Styxonthebrain
Cydonia pop 143
204 IQ
Muse ftw. How many bands put out a 15 minute symphony about finding a new planet to replace earth in 2009?
hockeyplayer168
47 IQ
Quote by Styxonthebrain
Muse ftw. How many bands put out a 15 minute symphony about finding a new planet to replace earth in 2009?

Progressive is an understatement.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
SLonergan
UG's Everlasting Noob
1,070 IQ
1) Dream Theater
2) Spock's Beard
3) Porcupine Tree
4) Transatlantic
5) early Genesis
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Quote by Styxonthebrain

I lol'd at how specific this statement is.

You can say, oh... Blink-182 are epic because what other pop-punk bands put out a song about Star Wars in 1995?
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
JimMcGraff
11 IQ
Quote by Styxonthebrain

That fact that the overture that song makes up nearly a third of its running time is hilarious. The Resistance is a waste of a good album cover.
Gris-Gris-Man
savage
467 IQ
Frank Zappa
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Return to Forever
Emerson Lake and Palmer
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Titikaka
45 IQ
Porcupine Tree(the new material is awsome), dream theatre
adamrandall
UG's impatient bastard
1,568 IQ
I saw the dear hunter and coheed and cambria together. They're both incredible.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,511 IQ
YES is my favorite progressive band, the progressive long concept albums like Close to the Edge, Tales of Topographic Oceans, Relayer and some stuff on Fragile and Going for the One. A lot of people can't stand Jon's high voice but I like many others think he is/was one of the best singers in rock. I also like Crimson, Old Genesis (with Peter), Gentle Giant...meh. Dream Theater I hate the vocals but the band is great, I have a track of them playing a Yes medley (instrumental) live with Howe and they do a superb job.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jul 22, 2010,
romencer17
1,928 IQ
Quote by Zycho
Tera Melos
Hella
Don Caballero

those are math rock bands...

Sumdeus
CaparisonCore
If only I were a walrus
1,006 IQ
Anything with John Petrucci? Add a little BTBAM, Opeth, and top it off with some Floyd?
sarah ryan
10 IQ
Like the Rye , Ancor are one of the most exciting vocal ensembles and you may also got information about various bands on music sites available, which helps me a lot to choose the best opportunity to enter into music industry.
Last edited by sarah ryan at Aug 10, 2010,