Page 1 of 17
Vendetta V
The Creep
9,504 IQ
So lets discuss/analyze classical music. Favorite composers, orchestras, musical pieces. Instruments and anything about classical composing. What are your favorite ensembles (e.g. quartets, orchestras chamber orchestras trios.. )
Scales, instrument techniques and so on…

I my self love Bach most of all. His polyphony is just awesome!

I mostly write for quartets with additional instruments (strings and something else like Harpsichord) I totally love harpsichord or orchstras

I use two flutes, oboes and clarinets, a basson and a contrabasson for the woodwinds, two French horns and trumpets, one trombone and a tuba for brass.
And strings. This is my base orchestra staves. I then add additional instruments depending on the mood I want and the complexity I am after (didn’t include the percussion and keyboards as those are not heard in my every composition)

I am not that skilled tho… having the music in your midn is one thing writing it down is another and that's where all the rules come like Musical Grammar. Never took classes btw

Hope this thread turns into something useful for ppl who are new to orchestral writing

Any questions and answers are appreciated! I sometimes get questions too so this would be a good place to find out the desired answer

Cheers

PS sorry for my grammar

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my
My

My

And Call Me V
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey
3,503 IQ
I love Nightwish with passion. I love listening to the orchestral tracks by themselves. So wonderful I also like soundtracks from films that use an orchestra. Sounds epic!!!
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Dookie92
AEK SUPPORTER
462 IQ
I'm playing Bach on Friday for my Grade 8 saxophone exam, beautiful music. These past two years we had to analyze in alot of detail Purcell's Dido, some nice pieces in it, though wouldn't say its my favorite opera.

Beethoven is my favorite when it comes to classical, and playing it on piano helps to appreciate it even more.

Oh, I also played a Haydn for my piano exam today. A typical Haydn/Mozart piece, nothing special, but enjoyable regardless.

I went to Vienna last Christmas with my music class. Incredible! Visited Mozart's house, watched a string quartet and ballet, absolutely top class musicians. The place was just heaven for anyone who has any sort of interest in classical music.
griffRG7321
Theory buff
999 IQ
Orchestra wise my favourite composers are John Williams, Debussy, and Liszt.

I also like Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Corelli, Scriabin, Prokofiev and Ravel.

I like writing for orchestras, small ensembles and solo piano.

Here's some of my favourite orchestral pieces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6fka74ZnpU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRMz8fKkG2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPDrN-3U2ks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_7loz-HWUM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n78rcVoIr8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh5Stk8Kzuw
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Apr 21, 2010,
MapOfYourHead
Die young? Die old.
256 IQ
This thread has been done countless times in various forms.

But anyway, my current fix is Scriabin. It's amazing how by listening to his sonatas in sequence you can hear the evolution of his writing style. Starting off with very strong Chopin influences and ending with something else entirely.
griffRG7321
Theory buff
999 IQ
Black Star is the only piece is really liked that Malmsteen did with orchestra, it's a shame he and the Japanese philharmonic didn't have much time to practise because it could have turned out much better.
Prophet of Page
258 IQ
I think Rachmaninov is probably my favourite classical composer. I really enjoy everything he wrote, though of course some things more than others. I've tried playing some of the piano lines from his concertos on guitar, it's tricky to say the least!

I also really enjoy Chopin, but only the solo piano stuff. I've always felt that some of his passages can sound completely improvised when played well. I like Lizst too, but a little Lizst goes a long way.

Violins often sound very shrill to me, but I've recently starting listening to some more classical music centred around the violin.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Thepredster
950 IQ
List of composers I listen to-
Beethoven
Bach
Chopin
Fernando Sor
Francisco Tarrega
Villa Lobo
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

That game had the best synthesis system ever.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
Kurai X
Jason Becker die-hard fan
115 IQ
Beautiful music! centuries of music are very overwhealming tough, I don't know a tenth the pieces I'd like to know.
Like, the Blue Danube, listened to it like 50 times after watching 2001 A Space Odyssey lol
I do love Bach! I'm probably famliliar with ~5 of his hundreds and hundreds of pieces lol!

A question.. how should we define classical music? Music that has certain elements? Like short modulations and such.

As in very recent compositions, Jason Becker... all masterpieces. Air would be completely classical to my ears, containing harmonies, modulations, blabla, counterpoint, everything. And his pieces from Perspective... The End of the Beginning, Serrana... could those be considered classical? What about Higher, which is more of an acapella song?
Anyway, I consider his pieces to be of such level as Bach and Beethoven, as being the real true genious of our time.
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
kinah2
Banned
10 IQ
Vendetta V
The Creep
9,504 IQ
oh and one of my favorite pieces is The Dance of the Kights by Prokofiev!

I'm The Creep!

My

My

And Call Me V
tubatom868686
Banned
458 IQ
Quote by griffRG7321
Orchestra wise my favourite composers are John Williams, Debussy, and Liszt.

I also like Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Corelli, Scriabin, Prokofiev and Ravel.

Here's some of my favourite orchestral pieces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6fka74ZnpU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRMz8fKkG2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPDrN-3U2ks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_7loz-HWUM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n78rcVoIr8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh5Stk8Kzuw

I didnt know he wrote his own music
griffRG7321
Theory buff
999 IQ
Quote by tubatom868686
I didnt know he wrote his own music

The composer not the guitarist..unless i'm missing the sarcasm here
tubatom868686
Banned
458 IQ
Quote by griffRG7321
The composer not the guitarist..unless i'm missing the sarcasm here

Im talkin about the composer too lol, as in Star Wars right?

Hes considered to be one of the most blatant plagiarizers in modern music. Quoting an orchestra conductor I sat under, "Show me a John Williams score and Ill show you who he plagiarized it from."

But yea, him and the guy that did the score for phantom of the opera (vomits) totally plagiarize all over.
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection
3,247 IQ
Quote by tubatom868686
Im talkin about the composer too lol, as in Star Wars right?

Hes considered to be one of the most blatant plagiarizers in modern music. Quoting an orchestra conductor I sat under, "Show me a John Williams score and Ill show you who he plagiarized it from."

But yea, him and the guy that did the score for phantom of the opera (vomits) totally plagiarize all over.

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor and Mars, the Bringer of War FTW?
tubatom868686
Banned
458 IQ
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor and Mars, the Bringer of War FTW?

Haha, yes. Among many others
griffRG7321
Theory buff
999 IQ
You do realise half the time a composers writes music for a film the director has already put existing music to it and asks the composer to write "something that sounds like that"?

It happened with the stars wars theme and Holsts 'the planets' if im not mistaken.

Speilberg asked him to rerecord the planets for the movie and instead Williams said "why don't i write somethng that SOUNDS like the planets?".

Happens all the time.
tubatom868686
Banned
458 IQ
Quote by griffRG7321
You do realise half the time a composers writes music for a film the director has already put existing music to it and asks the composer to write "something that sounds like that"?

It happened with the stars wars theme and Holsts 'the planets' if im not mistaken.

Speilberg asked him to rerecord the planets for the movie and instead Williams said "why don't i write somethng that SOUNDS like the planets?".

Happens all the time.

That still doesnt make the material any more original
griffRG7321
Theory buff
999 IQ
Couldn't give a monkey's if it was original or not as long as i get to listen to stuff like the jurassic park theme i'm happy.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Apr 23, 2010,
Prophet of Page
258 IQ
Quote by griffRG7321
Couldn't give a monkey's if it was original or not :P as long as i get to listen to stuff like the jurassic park theme i'm happy.

The Jurassic Park theme is fantastic.

For that matter, The Lost World score is quite unique among Williams material. It's mostly tribal instruments.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Moondive
10 IQ
I agree with you Jason Becker sound really great and classical!
frog_friend
686 IQ
If anyone is interested in studying scores I found this site on another forum.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Gardie
21 IQ
Gustav Holst's "The Planets" is actually my favourite orchestral arrangement. BD Like many others, I must agree that Mars and Jupiter are ultimate win, but for some reason I also fell in love with Uranus: The Magician. Funny, out of all the planets, the song I like the most happens to be the "Uranus" song. :P

Other compositions that I love include Brahm's "Academic Festival Overture, Beethoven's "Egmont", Tchaikovsky's Streicherserenade Fur Streichorchester (guy's got the best surname to pronounce aloud btw) and Mozart's "Turkish March" - which I'm actually learning on guitar as of late, I was surprised to see someone actually had a tab for it here!
timeconsumer09
The Writing Writer
249 IQ
Any other Mahler fans in the house? Has to be my favorite. I just can't decide whether I like Mahler 5, 3, 1, 6, or 8 better.
tubatom868686
Banned
458 IQ
Quote by timeconsumer09
Any other Mahler fans in the house? Has to be my favorite. I just can't decide whether I like Mahler 5, 3, 1, 6, or 8 better.

1 2 and 5. Especially 5 dude. Most consider 1 and 5 to be the be all end all of mahler symphonies.

To the guy that referenced brahms, you havent heard brahms until youve heard his requiem and symphony 3.
National_Anthem
Quite the toff
554 IQ
Quote by timeconsumer09

Yeah 2 and 9 are the best. The last movement of 9 is my favourite symphonic movement. But I really like 1 and 8 as well.
Beethoven and Brahms symphonies are awesome: Beethoven 7 and Brahms 2 are amazing pieces, but tbh, all of them are really. Beethoven's Corialan Overture is also really great.

Quote by tubatom868686
1 2 and 5. Especially 5 dude. Most consider 1 and 5 to be the be all end all of mahler symphonies.

Most consider 8 and 9 to be the be all and end all. 1 is a magnificent symphony, but late Mahler is just so much better. And 5 I find a little over-rated... everyone raves about the adagietto, and yeah it's beautiful, but Mahler has so much more to say in his last symphonies.
And I find Brahm's Requiem a little dull after the first two movements
Last edited by National_Anthem at Apr 24, 2010,
Vendetta V
The Creep
9,504 IQ
woah nice discussion here guys

hmm do yo uguys really think Webber is a plagiarizer??

I'm The Creep!

My

My

And Call Me V
mdwallin
772 IQ
Quote by griffRG7321
Orchestra wise my favourite composers are John Williams, Debussy, and Liszt

mm.. everyone loves john Williams so much.. but honestly. He's liek what a million years old now?

He is going to die soon and it is time we found some new living classical composers to replace him.

I sugest Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman and Javier Navarette. Brilliant, imo.

EDIT: Javier Navarette is fantastic.. I suggest you all go listen to the soundtrack of Pan's Layrinth. It's like watching the whole movie again but with the emotion contrast setting on high :P
Last edited by mdwallin at Apr 25, 2010,
tubatom868686
Banned
458 IQ
Quote by National_Anthem

Most consider 8 and 9 to be the be all and end all. 1 is a magnificent symphony, but late Mahler is just so much better. And 5 I find a little over-rated... everyone raves about the adagietto, and yeah it's beautiful, but Mahler has so much more to say in his last symphonies.
And I find Brahm's Requiem a little dull after the first two movements

Really? I barely ever hear anyone ever mention 8 or 9. Huh
frog_friend
686 IQ
Quote by mdwallin
mm.. everyone loves john Williams so much.. but honestly. He's liek what a million years old now?

He is going to die soon and it is time we found some new living classical composers to replace him.

EDIT: Javier Navarette is fantastic.. I suggest you all go listen to the soundtrack of Pan's Layrinth. It's like watching the whole movie again but with the emotion contrast setting on high :P
Pan's labyrinth has one of my favorite sound tracks ever. If you want to hear danny elfman at his best you have to listen to the grand finale from edward scissorhands.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
186 IQ
Quote by mdwallin

stephen schwartz?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Vendetta V
The Creep
9,504 IQ
may be Webber then?? he's still alive :p

I'm The Creep!

My

My

And Call Me V
mdwallin
772 IQ
Quote by frog_friend
Pan's labyrinth has one of my favorite sound tracks ever. If you want to hear danny elfman at his best you have to listen to the grand finale from edward scissorhands.

You are SO right. Jeez, that movie had some great music. You've inspired me to go rent it out again
Quote by AeolianWolf
stephen schwartz?

Had to look him up, but OMG he did the soundtrack to Hunchback of Notre Dame! That was excellent
Last edited by mdwallin at Apr 26, 2010,
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
186 IQ
Quote by mdwallin
Had to look him up, but OMG he did the soundtrack to Hunchback of Notre Dame! That was excellent

he really is a fantastic composer. he also wrote wicked (and godspell, of course, but i've yet to see that), the music of which was absolutely fantastic.

yeah, he did the soundtrack to quite a number of disney movies. i believe he and alan menken were responsible for colors of the wind.

i think back to the time when i was a child and realize that these are the memories i used to hum. i never would have guessed i'd be analyzing them a mere 10 years later.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
mtforever
UG's Mondo'ade
357 IQ
The genius of john Williams is his ability to perfectly match a piece of music to a scene. Even if he did do a bit of copying, I still respect him as a film music composer.

And we only have 12 notes to work with, melodies are going to get recycled.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
frog_friend
686 IQ
as long as we are on the topic of film scores I thought I would post some epic cues.

arrival to earth

like a dog chasing cars

Some of the most epic pieces I have heard. Also since there is some mention of john williams, welcome to jurassic park At around 4:30 if you aren't getting chills you must be dead

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
symba05
hey kids
1,197 IQ
I'll be starting conservatory this year and I'll play classical guitar. I think I will learn to love this type of music

To anyone that plays classical, what do you think is the most difficult as far as technique and theory goes?
mdwallin
772 IQ
Quote by symba05
I'll be starting conservatory this year and I'll play classical guitar. I think I will learn to love this type of music

To anyone that plays classical, what do you think is the most difficult as far as technique and theory goes?

well, I have just started classical guitar and personally after playing jazz for years and years the most annoying thing is actually having to pay attention to what fingers I use (pima etc)

But, I'm sure I'll get over that soon :P

Anyone heard much of Peter McConell's work? He does heaps and heaps of game soundtracks. He did the Grim Fandango one! Amazing jazzy tunes :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVggc7SUhj4

great stuff. I suggest you guys check out the whole soundtrack