Page 3 of 17
Ok I came back and now ihave to time to comment on everyone's posts

So Diminishedfifth first:

Hmm your staves sound pretty much interesting and both normal at the same time

However hmm you have only one horn? And no trumpet?? I think that's why as you say your horn… btw the proper name is Brass Section … that's why your brass section is lacking… they say it's the hardest section to write for! However my two cents here would be adding another horn at least and 2 trumpets (I, II). This way you can have chords held down by the two horns and a trumpet and have another trumpet harmonized with something else plus trumpet and tuba could do bass both or you could stick trombone with the trumpet

The other thing I'd ask aint full Choir a bit well overkill??
I mean for each score having a full orchestra and choir all the time…

Hmm I also assume you have two of each Flute and clarinets?? Cause you don’t have an oboe thus you wouldn’t' be able to hold down some full sounding chords with woodwinds only??

Sounds like you know what you are doing but have you ever taken courses?? Cause your orchestral staves look pretty unusual. Oh and the normal Strings' technique is Arco

Anyways yeah I also try not to repeat myself and if I do I change the instrumentation… I like having a part played again by woodwinds only. With lower dynamics and I don’t know.. Sounds cool!

Two GuitarGuitar: errm by tremolo do you mean vibrato?? As in guitar it's referred to the volume going up and down… in classical music that depends… in strings they call the bowing technique which is a really fast combination of up and down motions
Hope that makes sence!
So, I think anyone who likes music should check out Danzon No 2, by Arturo Marquez... It's a hugeee orchestra playing some epic latin beats in the style of early 20th century orchestral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vwZAkfLKK8
kicks out the jam around 2:30

It's not necessarily classical, but it is orchestral to every degree possible.
Quote by shmikeyboy
Overlooking that it's from Twilight, Bella's Lullaby is good. Anyone know any similar stuff (other than Debussy) ?

This is alright, i haven't seen the film nor do i plan to but i came across the it other day when searching for piano ballads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2m6yrRfS9A
vigenharutyunya: I've taken classes... but not on orchestration. Just plain Music Theory. I know how to write for 4 voices pretty well, and extending that to Strings was easy (probably cause there's not 500 different stringed instruments to choose). Woodwinds... I usually always have a mid-range woodwind in there somewhere. I like to make chords with them cause I like the way they sound.

My Brass Section is lacking cause I don't know what I'm going to do with each instrument. I'll try out your idea for a good brass section. I'll just have to figure everything else out from there xD

I really like my full choir haha. But I only use it when needed.

Quote by shmikeyboy
Overlooking that it's from Twilight, Bella's Lullaby is good. Anyone know any similar stuff (other than Debussy) ?

Bella's Lullaby is Clair de Lune by Debussy... making sure you know.

But I recommend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRO05WcNDk&feature=related
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Bella's Lullaby is Clair de Lune by Debussy... making sure you know.

But I recommend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRO05WcNDk&feature=related

how did I miss that?
But apparently, they're slightly different

ooh, chopin, thanks
Last edited by shmikeyboy at Jun 4, 2010,
Just curious here, why does it seem that guitar players and metalheads (not saying all guitar players are metalheads) gravitate towards the virtuoso piano players of the romantic period so much, i.e. Chopin, Liszt and Brahms, over other classical music.

And I'm not saying all guitar players or even metalheads are like that, but just that a lot of them, who don't normally listen to classical music, will usually listen to Chopin or Brahms or Liszt etc.

Thoughts?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Just curious here, why does it seem that guitar players and metalheads (not saying all guitar players are metalheads) gravitate towards the virtuoso piano players of the romantic period so much, i.e. Chopin, Liszt and Brahms, over other classical music.

And I'm not saying all guitar players or even metalheads are like that, but just that a lot of them, who don't normally listen to classical music, will usually listen to Chopin or Brahms or Liszt etc.

Thoughts?

I love the harmonies and progressions. The way they can wrap the melody around an ever-changing harmony is amazing. I love the experimentation that was done. The fast segments in their songs catch my attention.

But it's the harmonies and progressions that grab my attention.

Having said that, I appreciate me some Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and some other composers whose names I can't remember right now xD
What do you guys think of this piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfKA4b5SFq4

I'll admit it. I'm a Metal Gear Solid fan boy. When I first heard the theme like this I was blown away. I felt so sad. Knowing the story of the game really made it something more than amazing. The somberness of the intro, then the jolt to the action. The "heroicness" factor comes in (when the choir comes in at 2:41). Then the sudden change in emotion. It gets almost heartbreaking, but knowing the game's story,then it really is.

Musically, as well as the theme itself, I like the cadence at 0:37 (deceptive cadence?). Maybe the piece can give Diminished Fifth some ideas on using brass?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

Thoughts?

I personally find it the most expressive and interesting. Although the composer who does some of the most virtuoso piano pieces is Alkan and i can't stand most of his work.

Some of liszts works im not keen on but in general i love liszt and chopin.

I also like Bach, Corelli, Vivaldi, scarlatti, Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Wagner, Saint saens, Rachaminoff, Schubert, Elgar,Debussy, Barber,Ravel, Prokofiev.. the list goes on.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jun 8, 2010,
anybody here a fan of sorabji?
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by notoriousnumber
Ravel's toccata. This will destroy you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idfdk5nPs-s

Yeah it's a good piece that one, i like the Gaspard de la nuit suite (espeically scarbo and ondine) and alborada del gracioso and that ocean one from Miroirs.

Edit:although why has this thread on orchestral music gone to solo piano pieces?
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jun 9, 2010,
I have a new love for Victor Borge

He's hilarious, and a GREAT pianist/arranger/whateverthehellhedoesthat'sawesome

Part 1
Part 2

Really... watch both parts.

And this!
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by griffRG7321
although why has this thread on orchestral music gone to solo piano pieces?

Ahh, well he did lots of orchestrated works as well; some of them sound better on piano, especially the piece 'une barque sur l'ocean' which you mention.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by rockingamer2
What do you guys think of this piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfKA4b5SFq4

I'll admit it. I'm a Metal Gear Solid fan boy. When I first heard the theme like this I was blown away. I felt so sad. Knowing the story of the game really made it something more than amazing. The somberness of the intro, then the jolt to the action. The "heroicness" factor comes in (when the choir comes in at 2:41). Then the sudden change in emotion. It gets almost heartbreaking, but knowing the game's story,then it really is.

Musically, as well as the theme itself, I like the cadence at 0:37 (deceptive cadence?). Maybe the piece can give Diminished Fifth some ideas on using brass?

That was amazing, the music adds so much to the emotion of the game. Definitely my favourite video game series of all time.

I'm slowly starting to branch out into a bit of orchestral composing, currently messing around with strings. I love how well they can work with a tradition guitar/bass/drums setup though that's starting to get away from the classical/orchestral aspect.

Also, anyone know of any good, free string software instruments for GarageBand/Logic?
Quote by vigenharutyunya
talking about strings and rock bands i like hwo A7x usese orchestral instruments and stuff with the band not liket he usual Rock band + orchestra but rather then band and the orchestra as one piece!

Oh hell yes.

Two great examples: A Little Piece of Heaven and The Wicked End. In the former, it's like the band compliments the Orchestra!
Tend of Strength of the World is insanely good, too. Makes for a really nice change.

There's a small sample of my first full orchestral composition on my profile page I've been working on today, it'd be great if I could get some feedback though it's only really a framework. I now have a new love for french horns ^.^
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Drummerrrrr%3F/music/play850683
oooh french horns are awesome instruments! one of my favs... damn i iwhs i could check that one but im on dialup

however yeh a little piece of heaven, wicked end and strenght of the word were the siongs i had in my mind! really well done!! oh also the quartet of Afterlife is nice! (it's actually 2 violins, viola, cello and contrabass but just as contrabass mostly copies cello octave above, they suaually tend to call em quartet)
The string's on Afterlife are sooo good, they just make the song. Avenged really go the extra mile with their stuff, one of the only metal bands I regurlarly listen to.
I have a question about the viola. I figure this is a better place to ask than to make a tread.

I'm writing some stuff for a string quartet, as a start for writing actual music down, and I have two violins, a viola and a cello.

I know that the violins play the melody, the cello plays the bass, but what exactly does the viola do? Is it more like the cello or the violins, or is it more of a wild card?

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
hmm i actually dont like the symphonic metal.. specially the black metal! that is just.. well not cool! i mean well that's my opinion of course...

anyways i was listening to a concert in wien yesterday (via TV )
so they were playing the Star wars theme (the one that buckethead also plays) so i was wondering about the name of the piece
then they did the imperial march!! it was cool and in the end the cello player stood up and started figthing with his bow with the conductor! he had the mask of Darth Vader. and the Conductor had a green lightsabre.. so it was kinda cool trick

EDIT:
I have a question about the viola. I figure this is a better place to ask than to make a tread. I'm writing some stuff for a string quartet, as a start for writing actual music down, and I have two violins, a viola and a cello. I know that the violins play the melody, the cello plays the bass, but what exactly does the viola do? Is it more like the cello or the violins, or is it more of a wild card?

erm well that's a hard thing to answer. it could do anything actually: you could have the first violin in the high register playing a solo type of thing while having the 2nd violin and viola holding a chord with the cello! you could copy it with the 2nd violin in unison or have it copy the first violin (if you have the two harmonized) octave below... have it harmonized with cello! well in rock kind of band there is no actual viola like instrument but to explain the concept i think it'd eb coo lto call it Bass (yeah i know bass is more like contrabass or whatever but im talking here about the concept).. so violins are your guitars, viola is your bass and cello is the drums. without bass the drums and guitars are too bare! you know like something's missing.. so with the quartet viola connects cello and violins. also for high pitched chords (where chords are the three notes played together) you may need viola to have a chord. yeah you can have two notes held on a single instrument or even more but this is limited and also sounds quite different than a chord by violins and viola.. and won't be used that much in orchestras i think...

i hope that helps and makes sense
Last edited by vigenharutyunya at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by rockingamer2
I have a question about the viola. I figure this is a better place to ask than to make a tread.

I'm writing some stuff for a string quartet, as a start for writing actual music down, and I have two violins, a viola and a cello.

I know that the violins play the melody, the cello plays the bass, but what exactly does the viola do? Is it more like the cello or the violins, or is it more of a wild card?

I usually give the viola the "Alto" part. It's already in Alto clef, so it works out just fine!

If not that, then the melody. I like a nice, warm melody in the middle of everything.
Quote by rockingamer2

If you're starting writing string quartets/chorales study Bach chorales and how to set out chords properly and how to harmonise a melody. Make up a melody first for your first violin, then harmonise it with the rest of the instruments.

Quote by vigenharutyunya

you could copy it with the 2nd violin in unison or have it copy the first violin (if you have the two harmonized) octave above... have it harmonized with cello!

Sorry but this doesn't sound promising at all. In 4 part harmony doubling in unisons/octaves is one of the worst things you can do.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jun 14, 2010,
^^^ a good idea would be if you are new to the whole thing than just writing for two voices. i mean instruments here.. so the keyboard would be your way to go dont try to get some complicated stuff but rather two hands playing together (like two different instruments )

EDIT: erm sorry i didnt meant doing it as the whole part of the piece but rather as an interlude part. you could connect all the 4 in unison too. would give you a strong powerful note!!
however i also didnt meant you may do it occasionally in quartet piece but rather with an orchestra!!!
it worked for korsakov.. may work for us too
Last edited by vigenharutyunya at Jun 14, 2010,
Thanks for the responses. I've been meaning to check out Bach chorals for a while now anyway.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I don't know if anyone would be interested in studying it but here is the sheet for threnody for the victims of hiroshima if anyone is interested in it.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by mdwallin
its not just on orchestral. I thought this was a 'classical thread'

Richard Charlton is great! I've met him too, he's a really nice guy, he conducted the Sydney Con's guitar ensemble this semester playing his "Phantasy Variations". Have you heard his piece "The Kingfisher"? I think it was only written in 2004 or something, its beautiful!

Just realised I quoted the wrong post, oh well, at least it was the right person :P