Page 4 of 17
I love them all. They all have great music. But, I have to admit, the soundtrack for Pirates of the Caribbean and all the others done by Hans Zimmer (Gladiator, The Dark Knight to name a few) and one of this students/colleagues (now), Harry Gregson-Williams (XMEN: Origins is the only that comes to mind immediately for movies), I like more.

My girlfriend actually downloaded the Harry Potter soundtrack haha.. she listens to it sometimes.
Quote by vigenharutyunya
James Williams! he's good...

My favourite williams scores are jurassic park and ET. i also like his scherzo for motorbike and orchestra too, and jaws, and pretty much everything hes done

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwpxk_xwpDU

*melts*
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jun 28, 2010,
Williams is amazing but my favorite are silvestri, elfman, goldsmith, and david newman
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Four Seasons
Planet Suite
and
New World Symphony

are my favorite by far, definitely have a huge influence on my style of writing. i love songs that have melodic, dynamic parts. Making them like a roller-coaster, Symphony X, Beyond Twilight, and Dream Theater are many of the bands that do this.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Film composers like John Williams and Thomas Newman are awesome and I love their music but I somehow find it different to the actual 'classical' music. I personally like the planets suite, pomp and circumstance marches and Schubert's unfinished symphony in B minor is one of my favourites personally.
Q: What's the difference between a Mexican standard tele and an American standard tele?

A: £600
Quote by jenguind
Film composers like John Williams and Thomas Newman are awesome and I love their music but I somehow find it different to the actual 'classical' music. I personally like the planets suite, pomp and circumstance marches and Schubert's unfinished symphony in B minor is one of my favourites personally.
film music is different since its main objective is to fit the scene and not stand alone as a song.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
Quote by frog_friend
I don't know if anyone would be interested in studying it but here is the sheet for threnody for the victims of hiroshima if anyone is interested in it.

Holy shit. That's scarier than the music itself!
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by jenguind

The pomp and circumstance marches are great, my favourite Elgar piece has to be the Nimrod from the enigma variations (cliché but what the hell).
Quote by rockingamer2

Holy shit. That's scarier than the music itself!
yeah it's a nightmare trying to decipher that song.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
I was in town the other day and I saw a poster " Beethoven Piano Recital: Moonlight, Pathetique, Op. 90 and Appassionata"

I shat myself, and managed to get the last ticket they were selling on the door. This was one of the best line ups I have ever seen, and I was so anxious when sitting down inside (the oldest concert hall in europe as well, Holywell Music Room, both Hayden and Handel played there).

But, to my despair, the pianist utterly butchered the pieces; he wasnt that bad, I went to a Chopin recital given by him before and I loved it. But seriously, he was not good then.

He used far too much damper pedal, horribly blurring and confusing the fast sections of the appassionata (one of my favourite pieces of all time), and I swear he couldnt remember the notes to the middle section of the moonlight. Dynamic control was absent, but the slow movement of moonlight and pathetique were pretty good.

Love Beethoven, by the way.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by notoriousnumber

He used far too much damper pedal, horribly blurring and confusing the fast sections of the appassionata (one of my favourite pieces of all time)

Very common problem with that work.

Love Beethoven, by the way.

Me too.
The quartets are awesome. Op.59 No.1 and Op.131 are my favourites

Quote by griffRG7321
Why is this thread dying

Beethoven Egmont Overture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZwgLrVEw84

The Coriolan Overture is awesome too. Great performance too.
Last edited by National_Anthem at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by National_Anthem

The Coriolan Overture is awesome too. Great performance too.

Thanks for the recommendation, i've been listening to that alot the past few weeks.

On a different note why is it impossible to write for orchestras using the lydian mode without sounding like John Williams
Quote by griffRG7321
Thanks for the recommendation, i've been listening to that alot the past few weeks.

On a different note why is it impossible to write for orchestras using the lydian mode without sounding like John Williams

Cause Lydian is possibly the most commonly used Mode for movies... it's in EVERYTHING. Wall-E, LotR, Harry Potter, Up... it's ridiculous.
Argh, Williams is conducting his most famous scores at the Hollywood bowl next weekend and i can't find a ride

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
The more I listen to the EWQL Orchestra... the more I want that damned VST Especially the choir...

I do have to wonder... I know all movies/games don't have the budget for a full orchestra so what programs do ya'll think they use to get that realistic sound? All I know is that Hans Zimmer and Harry-Gregson Williams are BIG Cubase users... but that doesn't tell me what VST they use
To DiminishedFifth

The biggest 3 out there are Kontakt's orchestral VST (dunno what its name is), East West Quantum Leap and "Miroslav's" Philharmonik orchestral. I have EWQL silver (very stripped back version of it) and only the bare minimum of Miroslav, both seem reasonable. I haven't been able to find Kontakt's orchestral one for a price I'm happy with.

I also have Edirol Orchestral, which is nice but it's not exactly "professional," along with other soundfonts and VSTs for individual sections. There's also Garritan's Jazz band, which is pretty good, but it's mostly for rendering big band stuff. Whatever works.

Personally, at the moment I'm more interested in using synths, even for my "orchestral/classical" works. Something about the fact that orchestral instruments have been used exclusively in art music for the past 300 years makes me wonder about a viable alternative.

Quote by DiminishedFifth
Cause Lydian is possibly the most commonly used Mode for movies.
Thinking of it as "Lydian" is counter-productive to your learning and misses the genius of what they're doing. Try to think of it as major scale, but with chromatics or dissonance that includes a tritone. Unless you're thinking of some sort of minimalist application, modes aren't amazingly helpful in modern art music (and even if you're doing some sort of minimalist thing, it's still arguably not modal).

Also, I noticed you guys are talking about modern film composers: you do realise they're all blatant, horrible plagiarists? I used to love a piece by Elfman, specifically the theme for the Corpse Bride (hated the movie though), and then much later I discovered Liszt. Turns out Elfman is a huge fan of his Transcendental Etudes. Copy and paste, remove some chromatics and development to make it listenable from a modern audience's perspective, and then he sold it to Tim Burton for a few grand. What a genius.

Also, John Williams is a massive fan of Wagner, as are Disney's plethora of composers. Howard Shore, the guy who did Lord of the Rings, has used parts of Bela Bartok and Mozart's Requiem. To be a good film composer, it seems all you need to do is know what to plagiarise. Creativity is optional.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I agree about the lydian thing ^

In the main ET theme John Williams uses the Notes C D E F and G. Then transposes that all up a tone to D major, D E F# G and A. It gives a Lydian sound because of the outlined I - II chords.

Easier to call it lydian though .

I know what you mean about plagiarism. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yctfXIqugXc&feature=related Jaws anyone?
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Aug 14, 2010,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
The more I listen to the EWQL Orchestra... the more I want that damned VST Especially the choir...

I do have to wonder... I know all movies/games don't have the budget for a full orchestra so what programs do ya'll think they use to get that realistic sound? All I know is that Hans Zimmer and Harry-Gregson Williams are BIG Cubase users... but that doesn't tell me what VST they use
I've heard a lot of bad things about the choirs. I suggest checking out vsl's choirs, tonehammer's choir, and cinesample's library. Also I know that zimmer uses a completely custom sampled library. Symphobia is popular among a lot of people as is LASS. I could name of more libraries but if you are really interested I could give you the name of a forum that caters towards film scorers and the virtual instrument libraries they use. I"m curious as to what big names will emerge from our generations of film scorers. Williams is getting pretty old and zimmer and elfman are kind of slowing down their output.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
Quote by frog_friend
I've heard a lot of bad things about the choirs. I suggest checking out vsl's choirs, tonehammer's choir, and cinesample's library. Also I know that zimmer uses a completely custom sampled library. Symphobia is popular among a lot of people as is LASS. I could name of more libraries but if you are really interested I could give you the name of a forum that caters towards film scorers and the virtual instrument libraries they use. I"m curious as to what big names will emerge from our generations of film scorers. Williams is getting pretty old and zimmer and elfman are kind of slowing down their output.

Yes. Link please. That's my future career :]

Harry Gregson-Williams is Zimmer's student and he's done some really good movies (can't remember off the top of my head; he did do MGS3 and 4 though).

About the choirs, I haven't heard anything necessarily bad or good about them. All I know is what I've heard (which is awesome). The ability to do the lyrics is amazing... though I doubt I'd ever use it unless I wanted to take a poem and turn it into a chorale or something.

@Demon - I know it's not really Lydian (though I stand firm that the Wall-E OST has a VERY strong Lydian feel), but the I - II movement is so prominent that, for discussions sake, it makes sense to say that.

We've all also heard the "Mars, the Bringer of War" vs "Imperial March" plagiarism I do believe there are some genuine composers though (for example, HG-W, Zimmer, and Michael Giacchino )

P.S. Both words in Michael Giacchino's name are separate links.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Aug 14, 2010,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Yes. Link please. That's my future career :]

Harry Gregson-Williams is Zimmer's student and he's done some really good movies (can't remember off the top of my head; he did do MGS3 and 4 though).

About the choirs, I haven't heard anything necessarily bad or good about them. All I know is what I've heard (which is awesome). The ability to do the lyrics is amazing... though I doubt I'd ever use it unless I wanted to take a poem and turn it into a chorale or something.

@Demon - I know it's not really Lydian (though I stand firm that the Wall-E OST has a VERY strong Lydian feel), but the I - II movement is so prominent that, for discussions sake, it makes sense to say that.

We've all also heard the "Mars, the Bringer of War" vs "Imperial March" plagiarism I do believe there are some genuine composers though (for example, HG-W, Zimmer, and Michael Giacchino )

P.S. Both words in Michael Giacchino's name are separate links.

Here is a link to that virtual instrument forum. forum It focuses on film scoring so it will have a lot of great information for you from what sample libraries to use to computer set ups and composition techniques. I can't say I am a huge zimmer fan, but I do like Gregson and Giacchino. I've actually got the sheet music for Giacchino's wall rat cue from ratatouille if you are interested in that. I've been listening to a lot of poledouris and goldsmith scores lately. There just aren't composers like them any more.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
Quote by griffRG7321

Is kontact player free?

Yes, it is free, as well as Kore Player which comes with a bunch of free samples as well.
Quote by mus1cian
Yes, it is free, as well as Kore Player which comes with a bunch of free samples as well.

How do I import samples without them becoming 'demo versions' ?
Quote by griffRG7321
How do I import samples without them becoming 'demo versions' ?

If you have a Multi-Track recorder installed on your pc that has cablabilties of Piano Roll, or similar. It should automatically import the settings for Kore Player upon opening the program and you will use the Kore Player as an addon, for the samples. None of the Kore Player samples I used were of lesser quality, or a demo version.

(Ex) I use Music Creator 5 and create a new track in the recorder for Kore Player, pick the sample I wish to use, than can use MIDI or Piano Roll to write.
I use Cubase, when i open Kontakt within cubase and load in Samples, i can use them for 15 minutes and then it says i need to register it to use it further.
Quote by griffRG7321
I use Cubase, when i open Kontakt within cubase and load in Samples, i can use them for 15 minutes and then it says i need to register it to use it further.

I'm not as familiar with Kontakt Player as I am with Kore Player, but I did register my copy of Kore Player, and they did not charge anything. Maybe Kontakt is different, but I don't see why they would limit your access as it only comes with a set amount of samples.
I got Kontakt Player and, while I can see where it's useful, I don't have a MIDI keyboard :/ All I'm able to do is edit songs already written. I can't even separate the tracks to add things like Delay or anything.
For all the people that like to write classical music I suggest checking out this book It is composers speaking about how they write music and just music in general. It is really interesting to see the creative process of these musicians.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god