hey guys i really want a whammy for the endless amount of stuff you can do with them, and i was thinking could i put one on my g400? i dont know as i dont know much about them but please let me know
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix (R.I.P)

"Nobody dies a virgin... Life fucks us all."
- Kurt Donald Cobain (R.I.P)
Quote by Jimi Wylde

That's a tremolo arm.

Pressumably by whammy bar you mean a Floyd Rose type system? Well, you could get one installed on your guitar, but it will be expensive. First you need to buy the bridge and a locking nut, then you will have to pay someone to route out the body and put the bridge in place.

You're going to be looking at paying more than your guitars worth to get one installed, so I wouldn't waste my time on it unless you REALLY need one.
I'd just buy a new guitar with one one, would be so much easier

Check out my band! Visible Clarity

Gear:
Ibanez RG 420Ex SAr W/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
Ibanez Toneblaster 100w head + cab
Soon Buying:
Bugera 6262 Head
Bugera 412 Cab
Quote by AdamDK
That's a tremolo arm.

Pressumably by whammy bar you mean a Floyd Rose type system? Well, you could get one installed on your guitar, but it will be expensive. First you need to buy the bridge and a locking nut, then you will have to pay someone to route out the body and put the bridge in place.

You're going to be looking at paying more than your guitars worth to get one installed, so I wouldn't waste my time on it unless you REALLY need one.

There isn't any difference between a whammy bar and a tremelo bar.

To be honest, if you want just to do gentle stuff, then you can put a Bigsby on easily enough. However if you want a FR, you're better off just getting a whole new guitar for that, since it's expensive and it's not easily reversed if you decide that you don't like it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
You can get a bigsby trem, but if you're looking to do dive bombs and things like that, it wont work as well as a floyd or Kahler would.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
You can put a wammy bar in any guitar you want. Judging from your post I would assume that you would prefer a locking trem seeing how thry are much more versatile and thus allow you to do more "stuff". Personally I would recommend you to look into kahler trems. -n my apoinion they are superior to floyds and also require less routing on the body. Installing a floyd would take out a great chunk of wood from your guitar. Seeing how the sg is a fairly thin guitar, its probably not the best alternative as you would loose a substantial amount of tone. Not to mention that the installation process is much more expensive and time consuming. Try out both and see what you like better.
Quote by Lil Macker
There isn't any difference between a whammy bar and a tremelo bar.

To be honest, if you want just to do gentle stuff, then you can put a Bigsby on easily enough. However if you want a FR, you're better off just getting a whole new guitar for that, since it's expensive and it's not easily reversed if you decide that you don't like it.

Yes there is.

That's a tremolo arm, and this is the Stetsbar that Jimi Wylde suggested:

The stetsbar link said it was similar to a tremolo arm and a bigsby.

A whammy bar:

Maybe some people call them both a whammy bar or tremolo arm? I don't know.
Quote by AdamDK
Yes there is.

That's a tremolo arm, and this is the Stetsbar that Jimi Wylde suggested:

The stetsbar link said it was similar to a tremolo arm and a bigsby.

A whammy bar:

Maybe some people call them both a whammy bar or tremolo arm? I don't know.

I'm fairly sure that whammy bar is just a slang term. I still call a FR a tremolo.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
they are all tremolos/whammy bars lol

however neither of those are correct terms. The correct term is a vibrato, but because of Leo Fenders mix up they are called tremelos.

TS wants a double locking floating "tremelo", as in a Floyd Rose, an Ibanez Edge, or most Kahler systems. While it is possible to install one, it is completely impractical to do so.

a Fender trem is the next best for whammy tricks, but is more prone to go out of tune. This is also not really worth putting onto an sg. Actually I think SGs are too thin to rout a trem cavity anyways. Maybe.

You could put a stetsbar or Bigsby vibrato/tremolo/whatever, fairly easily. No divebombs and flutters, but still cool to have. A maestro/vibrola could work as well, and does the same thing.

I doubt TS wants that type of tremolo, so in conclusion.

No.
The Stetsbar is more capable of divebombs and fluttering than a Bigsby/Maestro.

The top mounted Kahler is probably your best bet, but anything apart from a Maestro will look retarded.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Things that will fit

- Washburn Wonderbar 2000 (does not even need routing)
- Stetsbar
- Fender Dynamic Vibrato (the Mustang trem)
- Kahler topmount vibrato units
- The "Les Trem", this also requires no routing, it's just a stop bar with a vibrato bar
- Bigsby
- Gibson vibratos - these might not even need any wood removal aside from screw holes.
- Fender Synchonized Floating Tremolo (Jaguar/Jazzmaster), I've seen an SG with one of those.

If you're going more for hard rock I'd go for the Elusive wonderbar or the Kahler, if you need something more subtle, the Gibon, Stetsbar, Les Trem, and Bigsby seem to be the best...

Personally, if it were me, I'd just put a Mustang trem on it, blashphemy is my middle name, I am rather weird like that.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Last edited by Mad-Mike_J83 at Apr 22, 2010,