Page 2 of 4
Quote by pbiggie
does Torche count as sludge? Because I love them, Meanderthal is an album I feel privileged to own.

They are stoner.

VV
3 of those bands are stoner. Bongzilla is interchangeable but reckon its more on the stoner side.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Apr 25, 2010,
Quote by Gakbez
Come on mans,

Electric Wizard
Bongzilla
Part Chimp
Kyuss

I wouldn't say Kyuss was sludge. Stoner Metal yes. With maybe some sludgey elements, but I wouldn't call it sludge.
Quote by pbiggie
does Torche count as sludge? Because I love them, Meanderthal is an album I feel privileged to own.
Torche seriously gives me headaches. That stuff is so poppy and upbeat.

Kyuss, while not sludge, are of course essential listening for anyone who likes to think that he listens to "the good stuff".
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Quote by we_built_a_tree
Torche seriously gives me headaches. That stuff is so poppy and upbeat.

that's why I love it, It's happy but still heavy.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
I'm really digging this, sounds like Year Of No Light but with better vocals.The Godspeed like parts are great!
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by Cianyx
Have some Post-metal with integrity. Featuring Jeff Hayward (Grief) on vocals
http://www.myspace.com/mornecrust

Morne a fantastic band, a lot more viscous than many other Post-Metal bands.

Do we consider Neurosis to be sludge?
Theirs definately sludge influence in their sound. post-Sludge is would say. Souls at Zero was mindblowing!
Quote by Steve08

You just can't get over SaZ can you

Personally I'm a ToG and TSIB worshiper, but I do love pretty much everything they've done, always packed with so much emotion.
Quote by Cianyx
They are stoner.

VV
3 of those bands are stoner. Bongzilla is interchangeable but reckon its more on the stoner side.

You consider bongzilla sludge over torche? torche isnt really stoner as its not really sludge either. theyre more along the lines of hybrid of the two. they can be considered either or. bongzilla is stoner metal for sure . the ****ign name says it all. haha
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Deplorable
You just can't get over SaZ can you

Personally I'm a ToG and TSIB worshiper, but I do love pretty much everything they've done, always packed with so much emotion.

Phh it's only been two years or so since i started raving about it...................

Neurosis has a flawless discography, even their early hardcore stuff was great.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Riffmast
Phh it's only been two years or so since i started raving about it...................

Neurosis has a flawless discography, even their early hardcore stuff was great.

True, true

So recommend me some real sludge please, obvious stuff too.
Eyehategod-Southern Discomfort
Corrupted-Se Hace Por Los Suenos Asesinos
13-Bound
Grief-Come To Grief
Noothgrush-Failing Early,Failing Often
Thou-Tyrant
Thou-Malfeasance/Retribution
The Arm And Sword Of A Bastard God-Split with Coffins(such a hidden gem)
Dystopia-The Aftermath

That would be a pretty good start imo
Quote by Steve08

Good, my knowledge of the genre isn't as small as I thought because I at least have a few of those thanks heaps though

That Coffins split is definitely amazing too, plus Coffins are touring this year, pretty ****ing excited
This is fairly cool, I'm not too big on the vocals.But you guys have some good ideas and some potential. What sludge bands influenced you?

Good, my knowledge of the genre isn't as small as I thought because I at least have a few of those thanks heaps though That Coffins split is definitely amazing too, plus Coffins are touring this year, pretty ****ing excited

Haha well my knowledge isn't huge. Theirs some other bands i didn't mention,those were just some of my faves that i can think off the top of my head. I'm gunna add one more link.
http://www.myspace.com/haggathaband

Fukkin Haggatha, heaviest and loudest band I've ever seen in my life. they played at this Hot Dog place near my old high school. Absolutely unreal,the atmosphere was unbeatable.B.C has great sludge and grind.
Quote by Steve08

Last edited by Riffmast at Apr 25, 2010,
Quote by Crohny
You consider bongzilla sludge over torche? torche isnt really stoner as its not really sludge either. theyre more along the lines of hybrid of the two. they can be considered either or. bongzilla is stoner metal for sure . the ****ign name says it all. haha

This is not sludge. At all.
Bongzilla, on the other hand, sounds more sludgy but you're right, they aren't sludge. It just reminded me of their 4 way split with Dystopia, Noothgrush and Corrupted leading me to pigeon-hole them as sludge

What I love most about Sludge and NeoCrust is that they draw influences from the best bits of metal (droning, monolithic, dark instrumentals) with hardcore (desparate, angry, raw vocals) creating this Leviathan they call music. Also, Neurosis is sludge. Drone/Ambient in their later years but I would still call them sludge
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Apr 25, 2010,
I LOVE Dystopia. A Neocrust/post rock/post black kinda band i joined a month ago as a vocalist did a cover of them at a local Crust House show last Wednesday.I was smashing a keyboard against my head..............twas a good time.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0LzOnlkr40&feature=PlayList&p=4909010DC7A23858&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=16 it was this song. All about computers and such....
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Riffmast

Haha well my knowledge isn't huge. Theirs some other bands i didn't mention,those were just some of my faves that i can think off the top of my head. I'm gunna add one more link.
http://www.myspace.com/haggathaband

Fukkin Haggatha, heaviest and loudest band I've ever seen in my life. they played at this Hot Dog place near my old high school. Absolutely unreal,the atmosphere was unbeatable.B.C has great sludge and grind.

I'll check them out too

Quote by Cianyx

What I love most about Sludge and NeoCrust is that they draw influences from the best bits of metal (droning, monolithic, dark instrumentals) with hardcore (desparate, angry, raw vocals) creating this Leviathan they call music. Also, Neurosis is sludge. Drone/Ambient in their later years but I would still call them sludge

YEah I always thought Neurosis were a ton more sludgey than other Post-metal outfits.
I dig Rosetta,still need to get my hands on some of their stuff.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Riffmast
I dig Rosetta,still need to get my hands on some of their stuff.

New album comes out in a few weeks too.
Rosetta is a Philly band like we are, we're hoping to try to get some shows with them as soon as we get our chops up
Quote by timmyeb
Rosetta is a Philly band like we are, we're hoping to try to get some shows with them as soon as we get our chops up

I'm checking your stuff out man, not really sludge, but it's ok.

My recommendations are to work on your vocals a tad (make them more powahful), and get a bassist who can do some shit, because you just seem to blend in with a lot of other bands, even though I definitely feel you have some good moments in there, (3:30 onwards in the second song for example).
Dude that was so good! I just wish the vocals had a bit more aggression to them. More like Hatred Surge "Deconstruct" style. Great riffs and awesome guitar tone i must say! If you ever wanna play in Calgary Alberta let me know. I'll try to hook you up.
Quote by Steve08

Thanks for the feedback really appreciate it dudes. I',m pretty much with you guys anyway the vocals are not NEAR powerful enough, mainly because of the crap equipment were recording with ha

Anyone else that doesnt mind giving a listen- www.myspace.com/perseuspa

Thanks!
What a creepy album cover.Some awesomely awkward notes in that solo! This is such a mess, in the best way possible. EHG are such a great band, can't wait to see em!
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Riffmast
What a creepy album cover.Some awesomely awkward notes in that solo! This is such a mess, in the best way possible. EHG are such a great band, can't wait to see em!

Lucky bastard...
Yeah after MDF i'm gunna be complete in life. Way too many good bands to even name drop.
Quote by Steve08

Never got into EHG, just didn't like em. I said it. One of the only sludge fans who doesn't like EHG, right here.

Don't know why I don't like em, just don't.
My one buddy loves sludge but he does'nt like em either.No worry's
Quote by Steve08

Oh really? We should get together sometime. We're only a couple hours away.

Anyways, still looking for that band that I don't remember. One track on myspace. Sludgey stuff, very calming, and then this burst of rage comes from nowhere and devastates any listeners. Don't remember anything.