Hey guys

I've often seen the JCM 800 being suggested for metal. To me though these amps seem more like the go-to amp for hard rock like AC/DC or Slash.

I can't see this amp covering stuff like morbid angel, metallica, Job for a cowboy and stuff like that.

But alas, it seems so. Could someone please post some clips of the JCM doing som s!ck M3t4alz? Im really interested in hearing that.
Get a overdrive pedal and boost the shit out of it. METULZ INDEED!
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Quote by ShredNChunk
Hey guys

I've often seen the JCM 800 being suggested for metal. To me though these amps seem more like the go-to amp for hard rock like AC/DC or Slash.

I can't see this amp covering stuff like morbid angel, metallica, Job for a cowboy and stuff like that.

But alas, it seems so. Could someone please post some clips of the JCM doing som s!ck M3t4alz? Im really interested in hearing that.

Thats funny because Kill Em All was recorded with a JCM800 and I believe Ride the Lightning was, too, but I'm not positive - sure it was modded but it was still a JCM800.

Bill Kelliher from Mastodon uses a JCM800.

John Baizley from Baroness used a JCM800 for a while.

Zakk Wylde uses a JCM800.

Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman use JCM800s.

Dino Cazares used a JCM800 for a while.

Do I need to continue or do you get my point?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Thats funny because Kill Em All was recorded with a JCM800

kill 'em all was recorded with a pro co rat through a modded marshall slp.

on topic; put a decent overdrive and an eq pedal through an 800 and you can do pretty much anything.
Quote by haz_uk
kill 'em all was recorded with a pro co rat through a modded marshall slp.

on topic; put a decent overdrive and an eq pedal through an 800 and you can do pretty much anything.

No, it was recorded using a Boss DF-2 through James' "Hotrodded" JCM800.
Maybe metallica used more than one amp?

Still Haz is right <3

I have a JCM800 and I used it once with my Epi for my friends metal band practice playing BFMV, Avenged Sevenfold etc etc and it held up just fine, although if I have a tubescreamer/OD type pedal i'd boost the living daylights out of it.

Older metal it'll do just fine on it's own.

Bloody loud though.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Maybe metallica used more than one amp?

Still Haz is right <3

I have a JCM800 and I used it once with my Epi for my friends metal band practice playing BFMV, Avenged Sevenfold etc etc and it held up just fine, although if I have a tubescreamer/OD type pedal i'd boost the living daylights out of it.

Older metal it'll do just fine on it's own.

Bloody loud though.

Maybe I'm mistaken and it wasn't a JCM800 - but I know they only used one amp to record the album with and it was Jame's "Mythical Marshall" which he had modded in L.A. by some guy that worked on EVH's amps.
The JCM800 is the root for all great metal tones. It has the punch, the clarity, and plenty of gain when cranked. But if you need more just put a tube screamer in front of it or whatever. If you really wanna get shit loads of gain out of it put a Monster Effects Mastortion in front of it.
Last edited by XxIRONxMAIDENxX at Apr 24, 2010,
Quote by XxIRONxMAIDENxX
...If you really wanna get shit loads of gain out of it put a Monster Effects Mastortion in front of it.

The Mastortion is a very inconsistent pedal - Brent Hinds from Mastodon has owned several and claimed that no two have sounded alike.
well i kinda knew about all these bands already. But i didnt need a list of users, but rather some nice clips recorded by users. Not a studio clip with 600 layers of guitars and all that jazz. A single JCM 800 doing the brootalz. Would be nice. I tried searching the tube, but there are 5.000.000 vids around and most of them are Angus Young / Slash wannabes.
Quote by ShredNChunk
well i kinda knew about all these bands already. But i didnt need a list of users, but rather some nice clips recorded by users. Not a studio clip with 600 layers of guitars and all that jazz. A single JCM 800 doing the brootalz. Would be nice. I tried searching the tube, but there are 5.000.000 vids around and most of them are Angus Young / Slash wannabes.

600 layers of guitars? We aren't talking about Axl Rose here. Most metal bands double track their rhythm parts and thats it.

Not good enough for you? Try searching for some bands playing live on youtube?
netmusicians.org
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
All of those guys in the list used modded JCM800s I think. A few even had signature 800s. Even KK Downing from Judas Priest had his own signature JCM I think, and they don't use anywhere near the gain that a 6505 or a Dual Rec would have.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by ShredNChunk
Hey guys

Metal isn't just t3h br00t4lz. You need to branch out if that is your generic definition of metal. The jcm 800 has been used by plenty of metal bands. Metallica and judas priest being only 2 of the more influential examples.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Children of Bodom use boosted 800s. Pretty sure Dave Mustaine used to use them too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
it'll do metallica fine of course. if you're talking about more recent modern metal it just needs to be boosted and compressed a little.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by RR5Jackson
There are different models of Jcm the silicon-diode 800's are best for metal.

that isn't really true

the Channel switching 800s were good, not nessicarilly better though
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
that isn't really true

the Channel switching 800s were good, not nessicarilly better though

They were higher gain and had a clean channel, two things that aren't necessarily necessary for metal, but some guys need their gain. The JCM 800 was pretty touch sensitive to begin with, but some guys like clean cleans too.

I agree, not necessarily better, just different.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Tedward
All of those guys in the list used modded JCM800s I think. A few even had signature 800s. Even KK Downing from Judas Priest had his own signature JCM I think, and they don't use anywhere near the gain that a 6505 or a Dual Rec would have.

Wrong.

Bill Kelliher uses a stock JCM800RI and a stock JCM800KK.

Kerry King used to use a stock JCM800 in conjunction with an MXR 10-band EQ but now uses a stock JCM800KK.

John Baizley used a stock JCM800 that he bought from someone that lived in his hometown.

I'm pretty sure that Jeff Hanneman's is stock.

I don't recall KK Downing ever having a signature 800.

Quote by Raijouta
Children of Bodom use boosted 800s. Pretty sure Dave Mustaine used to use them too.

Nope. Alexi uses Lee Jackson preamps into VHT power amps and Roope uses Engl amps, I believe.
I used to have a slightly modded JCM800. IMHO it was THE METAL AMP for me. I could easily get a nice 80s Thrash metal tone for rhythm and searing lead tones for -duh - lead. Cleans are better then in 5150s or dual recs. If you know how to dial tone and you know something about modding amps and what different effect pedals sound like you get a pretty versatile(but more inclined to metal) amp.