Slapp62
Semi-Noob
1,881 IQ
I already posted this in riffs but the mod said I would be better off posting here so...

Any tips on coming up with good punk riffs and licks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You're plugging an interface into an interface...

Interfaception

Pls tell me what is Interfaception. and how to solve.

axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
There's no huge secret to punk riffs and licks.

Listen to all the music you like in the punk genre. Learn to play a lot of the songs that you like, easy and difficult. Do this for a while.

There's not really a style or secret to writing punk songs. The only thing you really need to focus on is how to structure a song and how to make one riff/progression flow into another. That's it.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
I_Pwn
is gonna find you
2,803 IQ
Make sure you have lots of tapping and pinch harmonics.
brnh.bandcamp.com
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Punk guitarists aren't very good or imaginitive, so just play 4 random power chords, then pick another 4 random power chords, and there's your song.

Also, don't have a guitar solo, unless it's the one from "We are 138".
SKAtastic7770
828 IQ
As for lead playing, if you really felt the need, old chuck berry licks can be pretty punk.
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
beer.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Left + R button + Circle button + Circle button
neidnarb11890
gentle collapsing
270 IQ
-Do lots of heroin
-Tune all yr strings to the same note
-Use lots of distortion
-Hit yr guitar strings with knives*

You can also try adding lots of reverb.

*Disclaimer: Don't use sharp knives. I don't want any kids getting hurt.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Apr 28, 2010,
iwannabesedated
Out There
923 IQ
Step 1: Play power chord
Step 2: Move up five frets, play power chord
Step 3: Move up two frets, play power chord
Step 4: Go back to first power chord.
Step 5: Repeat
Lots O' FX
Ug's BallsOutDeathmeister
320 IQ
Quote by iwannabesedated
Step 2: Move up five frets, play power chord
Step 3: Move up two frets, play power chord
Step 4: Go back to first power chord.
Step 5: Repeat

Whoa easy there Mr. Wakeman.

the true secret to punk is:

Step 2: Repeat
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
di4gram
209 IQ
Solo-wise: Classic rock/garage rock type things (someone mentioned Chuck Berry) sound good with the upped distortion. In my opinion it has more to do with tone, on the cleaner side but still with a bite to it (I don't have a second guitarist so I need to be able to play lead and rhythm interchangeably, which means palm muting "chug" without a metallic lead sound).

Chord-wise: Whatever you like.

Basically the best way to write punk music is to write about what you care about and make it sound good to you. If it falls under punk, then awesome. If not, then at least you're happy with it. No matter what it sounds like, some idiot is going to spit on it because that's just how it works, so the only opinion that matters is yours.
Last edited by di4gram at Apr 30, 2010,
Slapp62
Semi-Noob
1,881 IQ
Those progressingly absurd replies cracked me up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You're plugging an interface into an interface...

Interfaception

Pls tell me what is Interfaception. and how to solve.

Mr Pringle
...And The Battle Begun
359 IQ
i've written like 3 punk rock riffs in my life, they're all derived from scales and i make someone else do a 4 chord rhythm. I just play around when i'm watching TV, if i come up with a riff then i write it down in my trusty notebook.
I may not have a brain, gentlemen, but I have an idea...
fivepointnine
155 IQ
the punk song is not a structure masterpiece, like someone above said, pick 3-6 power chords, play in a progression of choice, then pick 3-5 different powerchords for a chorus, maybe get fancy and throw a bridge in there if youre feeling really froggy! old Social D is a good reference point. Punk is about the words and attitude more than the music.
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Quote by fivepointnine
the punk song is not a structure masterpiece, like someone above said, pick 3-6 power chords, play in a progression of choice, then pick 3-5 different powerchords for a chorus, maybe get fancy and throw a bridge in there if youre feeling really froggy! old Social D is a good reference point. Punk is about the words and attitude more than the music.

Slander mi'lud!

Of course the punk song is a structural masterpiece.

Listen to the delights of the band Gallows (IMO, the best group out there since the Clash. Their incredible songs conquer castles with distorted passages, scale mountains with sustained riffage, and woo Damsels with a lovely 1/2 time breakdown, a uniquely original touch, no other band ever has done that in the history of music. Yes, it's definitely not like EVERY band from the last 5 years has a breakdown in their song to the extent that it's a musicological cliche

Also, their singer and guitarist definitely aren't excessively small-framed inbred weak-chinned ginger rat people.

Utterly delightful band, awesome!
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at May 5, 2010,
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Slander mi'lud!

Of course the punk song is a structural masterpiece.

Listen to the delights of the band Gallows (IMO, the best group out there since the Clash. Their incredible songs conquer castles with distorted passages, scale mountains with sustained riffage, and woo Damsels with a lovely 1/2 time breakdown, a uniquely original touch, no other band ever has done that in the history of music. Yes, it's definitely not like EVERY band from the last 5 years has a breakdown in their song to the extent that it's a musicological cliche

Also, their singer and guitarist definitely aren't excessively small-framed inbred weak-chinned ginger rat people.

Utterly delightful band, awesome!

Not used to seeing you troll. It's amusing.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Well it can be depending on how it's used.

Regardless, I found it amusing.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Quote by werty22
Sarcasm isn't quite the same as trolling.

This, I wouldn't troll here, because that would be disrespectful, even though I'd probably get away with it because the regulars would know that I'm just being my playful self.