Hey guys, been playing 2 1/2 years, and am pretty good at tremolo picking. However, after a few minutes of playing my elbow starts to hurt, so i can only play for an hour straight before i have to rest it. This worries me for the future, if I decide to pursue music, and I'm beginning to think it's my technique.

It only hurts when I tense up my arm, which i do when I tremolo pick for better control, are you supposed to do that? Or not, just seems like i get more speed and control that way.

Any advice suggestions? I would appreciate it.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Well Im no genius but do you move your whole arm when you tremolo pick or just your wrist?
Your strumming from your elbow not your wrist which is causing the pain. I have the same bad habit. Try to work on strumming using your wrist, its hard at first, and I find myself anchoring which is also bad, but its becoming a bit more natural now. You just have to keep your arm really relaxed.
Sounds like its no big deal if you can play for an hour straight on it...

Try using your wrist more though
Quote by acidhendrix

It only hurts when I tense up my arm, which i do when I tremolo pick for better control, are you supposed to do that? Or not, just seems like i get more speed and control that way.

Generally, the more you tense up, the less control you gonna have over it. With a good technique, you shouldn't be getting tense at all because you'll run out of stamina very quickly.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by acidhendrix

It only hurts when I tense up my arm, which i do when I tremolo pick for better control, are you supposed to do that?

There's your problem. When playing guitar the best way to avoid any pain or problems is to play with as little tension as possible.

The best way to do that is to pick with most of the motion coming from your wrist, and not your elbow.
Alright thanks guys, It will just take time to get used to it i guess lol...

I can't get fast when i come from the wrist though
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Quote by acidhendrix
Alright thanks guys, It will just take time to get used to it i guess lol...

I can't get fast when i come from the wrist though

Yeah you can. All you have to do is slow down to a level where you have complete control over your body. From that point, slowly work your way up while picking from the wrist and staying relaxed.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.

Doing this is a prime way to have shitty picking for the rest of your life, not to mention the pretty high chance of ****ing up your elbow and not being able to play at all. (and I know because I used to do it)

Moving to a more relaxed and controlled picking style is a very good idea - if you're serious about becoming a musician then no-one wants to hear spazz picked tremolo anyway.
I had the same problem so I switched to playing on my left leg, it's way better..the reason it hurts is because when you're tremolo picking your arm is all tensed up..switching to the left leg opens it up more and allows for better range of motion
Like David Gilmour?

Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Vox VT15
Alvarez Acoustic
Dunlop Jazz III Picks
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Take your pants off and swing your wiener around in circles.
Your problem is that you're tensing up and spazzing your hand (using motion from the elbow) at the string.
Tremolo picking should be done exactly the same way as alternate picking: using relaxed, controlled wrist motions.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by acidhendrix
Hey guys, been playing 2 1/2 years, and am pretty good at tremolo picking. However, after a few minutes of playing my elbow starts to hurt, so i can only play for an hour straight before i have to rest it. This worries me for the future, if I decide to pursue music, and I'm beginning to think it's my technique.

I've got the same problem. Except now it hurts all the time when when not playing. AND if i even touch that small bone on the inside of my elbow it hurts like a bugger. I am going to have to learn how to pick again as when I try to with my wrist it's all sloppy..gah wish I wasn't self taught lol
Not sure if he'll stick be checking a 5 year old thread fella.
Quote by SpiderM
Not sure if he'll stick be checking a 5 year old thread fella.

Yea haha I didn't realize till I have allready posted it how old it was.