Hi guys, first post.

I have a chord progression.

It's in G

G / Em / A7 / D / C / Am / G / F / D / E

I think understand how this works up un-til the very last chord.

the A7 although non diatonic is the V7/V chord, and the F is th bVII chord, but how does the E work in this scenario?
Why doesn't it sound out, I need a good explanation for my coursework. It's pretty urgent.

Cheers
I did read an article somewhere about a technique where a chord progression ended by changing one chord from a major to a minor (or vice versa), but I cant for the life of me remember what it's called.

Not much help, but might jog someones memory
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I think it may have something to deal with the last three chords, not completely sure. But that's kind of what catches my eye.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
Quote by pigeonmafia
I did read an article somewhere about a technique where a chord progression ended by changing one chord from a major to a minor (or vice versa), but I cant for the life of me remember what it's called.

Not much help, but might jog someones memory
Maybe you're thinking of the Picardy third? The Picardy third is when you alter a cadence in a minor key by raising the third of the tonic to a major third (from a minor third).

Here's an example: Am Em Bm C D E

The first few chords develop a tonality of E minor, but then the bVI bVII section (wanting to resolve to the i, Em) resolves to E major.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
you sure it's in G? i'd say it goes from E minor to E major.

E:    | III |  i  | V/bVII |bVII |bVI| iv |bIII|bII|bVII| I |
prog: |  G  |  Em |   A7   |  D  | C | Am |  G | F |  D | E |

A minor is also a viable choice - the E could very well resolve to either Amaj or Am. however, it is perfectly capable of functioning as its own tonal center.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Apr 29, 2010,
Quote by AeolianWolf
you sure it's in G? i'd say it goes from E minor to E major.

E: | III | i | V/bVII |bVII |bVI| iv |bIII|bII|bVII| I |
prog: | G | Em | A7 | D | C | Am | G | F | D | E |

A minor is also a viable choice - the E could very well resolve to either Amaj or Am. however, it is perfectly capable of functioning as its own tonal center.
This.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea