Page 1 of 3
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
Hey guys! I've been planning for months and the times is now at hand for my first build.
Specs:
xiphos body (thanks for the template Matt)
28" baritone scale
24 frets plus a zero fret
five piece neck-thru (wenge/sapelle/wenge/sapelle/wenge)
sapelle mahogany body wings
ebony fretboard
string-thru tune-o-matic bridge
locking GFS tuners
EMG 85/60 combo (I might get the 85x and 60x, not sure yet)
1 volume, 1 3-way switch
black hardware
anything else I forgot.

Now pics:

this is the birdseye maple that would have been in the neck-thru. more on the wood choices later. 30 bucks

wenge - 44 bucks

the ebony. I didn't realize at the lumberyard that it had a huge crack in it though. 40 bucks

It's still usable for at least one fretboard, so I'm not going to cry or anything.

The sapelle had really deep sawmarks that I couldn't hand-sand out, but you can still see the nice color. This piece is ****ing HUGE. It's over 6 feet long, 10" wide and 2" thick. 70 bucks.

Group photo, plus a necessary UG shot.

The wood with my MDF template.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Last edited by salsawords at May 2, 2010,
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
I had originally planned to use just limba and wenge, plus ebony for the FB, but the lumberyard had NO limba at all. I was bummed out to say the least, but I had to change my plans. The color coding isn't as good as it would've been, but this'll still be awesome.
I've got a bunch of stuff that will be left over for other builds, so $250 isn't so bad for everything.
Post away fellers.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

solomon684
497 IQ
Why not get limba online or from someone here? I get all my wood online since the lumber yards near me aren't too good
Impossible is Nothing
acrtl1000s
29 IQ
Quote by solomon684
Why not get limba online or from someone here? I get all my wood online since the lumber yards near me aren't too good

Would it be a thread hijack if I asked where? Cause the prices he paid for that wood seemed pretty low.
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
Yeah I probably could've gotten it online but I figured it would cost a lot more for a lot less wood. The guy in charge there said he hasn't seen any limba in a long time.
Of course this isn't set in stone yet. If I do find some cheap limba on ebay or something, maybe I'll just keep the sapelle and birdseye for another build.
EDIT: I've just checked another lumberyard's site and they don't seem to have any either. ebay also has nothing for any decent price.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
Thanks man. Hopefully my build will be as good as yours.
To acrtl1000s: I don't understand if you were asking me or solomon, but I got my wood from exotic lumber inc in Annapolis, MD. They have a HUGE selection of stuff; pretty much anything you could want (except limba).
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

blindsagacity
UG's Bowser Tattoo
289 IQ
wait salsa, you live in maryland too?
maybe if youre ever around there the place that bobby gets his wood (hardwoods inc) might have limba
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
EDIT: I don't know a whole lot about birdseye but I don't think that's true. In either case, my piece is about as straight as you can get so no worries.

Bobby suggested to me the place I went, and he told me about the place he goes to (hardwoods inc). I did check their site and they didn't seem to have any limba either. I should probably call them later to make sure, but I'm kind of out of money right now. I've got enough wenge for two neck-thrus, so maybe my next build could be what I originally wanted.

I also just measured some things more precisely and found out I could have sapelle neck laminates instead of birdseye laminates, which would look better in the color scheme. That's what I'll be doing then.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

MonkeyLink07
UG's Fire Gym Leader
553 IQ
Birdeye is thought to be caused by a disease or virus in the tree.

Birdseye Maple Wiki

EDIT: and I love wenge, easily one of my favorite woods. Lets hope this build turns out great!

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at May 2, 2010,
acrtl1000s
29 IQ
Quote by salsawords
Thanks man. Hopefully my build will be as good as yours.
To acrtl1000s: I don't understand if you were asking me or solomon, but I got my wood from exotic lumber inc in Annapolis, MD. They have a HUGE selection of stuff; pretty much anything you could want (except limba).

Thanks man, I just sent them an email. They do have really good wood. I don't live within 100 miles of a lumber mill.
M_16A
^^ i'm a gun
2,076 IQ
arrent baritones 27" scale? will 28" give it more baritone-ness?
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
Quote by acrtl1000s
Thanks man, I just sent them an email. They do have really good wood. I don't live within 100 miles of a lumber mill.

good luck man.
Quote by M_16A

27" is baritone, but I just wanted a little more assurance, plus on a 28", the 24th fret is exactly 21" from the nut, as opposed to some weird decimal. It makes things a little easier.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

acrtl1000s
29 IQ
Yeah, now that I think about it, would you just use a 2 ft long micrometer for fret locations? Or do they make rulers with decimals in inches?
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
I think the best way to do it is to make an exact template of the fret locations with a computer program, then glue/tape it to the fretboard.
You could use a caliper/micrometer, but you'd just measure the distance from one fret to the next.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Baconfish
Professional Lurker
982 IQ
Quote by M_16A

A baritone can be any scale you care to make it really. A Gretsch Spectrasonic Baritone is 30" and they come factory shipped tuned to C standard.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
metal-matt
see's whut u did thar
673 IQ
Quote by salsawords

xiphos body (thanks for the template Matt)

good luck!
awesome that its a baritone though :P

ive been thinking about building a baritone neck for one of my guitars... but i need some more tools for that
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
So I got the sapelle planed at my school and it's now just a little over 1 3/4". I was planning on a 1 7/8" thick body but oh well.

Not the most interesting wood of all time but it's not too bland. I'll reserve judgement until it's finished.

So the plans so far are:
Not sure on the body thickness. Chances are I'll have to go down to 1 5/8" or so.
1/4" thick fretboard
15' scarf joint
I think I may slip in a piece of wenge in the scarf joint to make it look neat, plus it'll hide my likely crappy joint.
3.89' neck angle (I'm going to cut the angle into the neck with either a table saw or a skil saw)

1 25/32" wide at the nut, 2 19/64" at the end of the fretboard
So I'll cut the neck laminates, glue the neck, plane that even, cut the neck angle, then cut the scarf joint. Sound good?
Hopefully there will be some progress today.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
Update time!
I got my wenge and sapelle neck laminates ripped. I also cut out the wing blocks.
I was planning on using ormsby's neck-thru neck angle method, but then I figured out I couldn't do that because of the somewhat large angle (almost 4 degrees) and the fact that my neck blank is only about 1 3/4" thick. I'll be recessing the TOM instead, which will be easier if anything.
I used a festool circular saw with a rail-type jig that makes really clean cuts that can be glued without jointing. It's more accurate than my table saw would have been.

Damn wenge is hard to work with, and it's extremely brittle. Probably not the best choice for my first build. The sapelle was far easier to cut.
It's hard to see, but I traced the shape of the body wings onto the blocks.

The section I used had this really cool waterfall kind of grain, almost like bubinga. I'm actually starting to think that maybe it is bubinga and the lumberyard tricked me. Whatever .
I should be gluing these up this week hopefully, then I'll plane it even.
EDIT: The neck laminates look weird in the picture but they are even.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Last edited by salsawords at May 16, 2010,
metalwarrior40
UG Resident
3,145 IQ
Make sure you sand down the edges on those things before gluing, to get a real nice joint.

Looking good, glad to see you found a good way to rip them.(laminates)
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
Thanks for the help man.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

metalwarrior40
UG Resident
3,145 IQ
Oh, just a idea about your TOM situation. You can recess it like you said, easy.
There's at least one more choice that you could think about if you want.

Glue the neck at a angle, and blend the body and neck together. 4* might be too much to do this, but worth looking at.

I have another idea on how to do this, but i still haven't worked it out yet.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
I think gluing it with an angle would be pretty difficult and then a lot of material would have to be removed.
I was thinking that it might be possible to do a scarf joint for the neck angle. I'm not too sure how that would work though. What's your other idea?
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
Update!
The neck is glued up. We used a fancy system of cauls just to distribute the pressure most evenly. Those big weird clamps are pipe clamps in case anyone wanted to know.

The wenge was already thicker than the sapelle, and some of the sapelle stuck out of one side of the neck, maybe 1/16" to 1/8". Again, the body will have to be made thinner now.
Overall, things are looking good for my first build. I'm also about to take a rasp to my squier and give it another rebirth.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
Thanks man.
After reading some stuff, I think I might change to a 27.5" scale.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
Update!
I took the neck out of the clamps. There was glue everywhere and the joints were uneven, so I wasn't sure how it would end up. I used the festool circular saw with the rail to cut things even (I want a planer so bad).
It took a few hours to get the sides even, but it is done.

No glue lines!

Started contemplating the scarf joint. I'm going to stick in three pieces: sapelle/wenge/sapelle, with the wenge being slightly thinner than the sapelle.

Moving along nicely. I can't wait to get to the hand tool parts.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
Thanks fellers!
I read some stuff on another building website by some more advanced players/builders (this is my first build and it'll also be the first extended range guitar I've played) and they thought 28" was too long for an 8 stringer. Since mine is only a baritone 6 stringer (basically the bottom 6 strings of a 7 stringer), I figured 27.5 would be closer to what I'm used to, and also enough scale length to tune to B standard or drop A.

I HATE HATE HATE playing in B standard on my 24.75 scale guitar; it has the fattest, muddiest strings ever.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

MonkeyLink07
UG's Fire Gym Leader
553 IQ
MMMMMMMMmmmm... Wenge. I already said it, but I this wood... It kind of reminds me of chocolate.

This build looks like it will be great.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
Thanks guys!
Yes, wenge is the sexiest wood on earth to me right now. It is the bomb.
I'll be planing the wings down to the right thickness on wednesday (right now they're 1/4" thicker than the neck is) at school. I should get my scarf joint done this week as well. It is going to be sweeeeeeeeeeeet.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

blindsagacity
UG's Bowser Tattoo
289 IQ
looking really nice. Shall be a sweet build
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
Update!
Today I glued up the three pieces that are going into the scarf joint to simplify when I glue the actual scarf joint.

Me and my dad spent hours trying to figure out the best way to cut the scarf angle (14 degrees) with our limited tool supply. We ended up making a jig for the table saw out of this angle thing that came with that circular saw that's been so handy.

We made two practice scarfs, then we did the real one.

It turned out well. Tomorrow I'll see if I can get the faces jointed and then we'll get the scarf glued up. After the scarf is done, I have no idea what's next though. I guess installing the truss rod and gluing the wings on? I need to get my ebony ripped for the fretboard too. Thanks for all the positive comments guys, I really appreciate it.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

metalwarrior40
UG Resident
3,145 IQ
Ah yes, tablesaw scarf joint jigs ftw
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
chaosdsm
234 IQ
Looks interesting Can't wait till I can get me some more machinery so I can start my two builds... well, one a re-build of an old BC-Rich Bich, gonna put a curved maple bookmatched top on it with a translucent finish, and one ground up build, possibly a neck-thru baritone.

Did you use regular wood glue for the neck laminate? I'd be curios to see how its holding up in 7 to 10 years if you did...

RE: buying wood online... so far, I have bought 100% of my wood online, got some insanely cheap pieces from ebay on some really great wood. I recently tallied up my purchases & after shipping charges (which in several cases was less than the local taxes would be) it works out to be about 35% cheaper than buying locally, & except for 2 pieces, of equal quality to what's available locally. What I got for that, over 150 bd ft (combined) of: Maple, Rosewood, Mahogany, Canarywood, Teak, Paduk, Lacewood, among others. Got a pair of amazing 3A/4A quilted maple oversized billets (the small one is 2.125" x 11.75" x 44.25")for $140 combined including the shipping for just over 15bd ft. I've already had an offer locally of $400 for the larger billet which is about 8.6 bd ft.

Key is knowing your woods, knowing what you want to pay(including shipping charges), & being confident in the sellers ability to accurately list what is being sold including any noteable issues with the lumber being purchased. Add a bit of patience & you can find a gem of a deal out there that others have missed like I did with those two quilted billets on which I was the only bidder & got them for the opening bid of $49.99 each, though a third piece from the same tree went for nearly $200 a week later... Unfortunately, it was the mirror to the smaller billet I had already won, & I didn't have $200+ left to bid on it

Here are the two Maple billets, along with a piece of Honduran Rosewood & my main guitar for scale... as you can see, there's enough Maple for 6 complete neck through body guitars Though more likely, I'll re-saw for bookmatched maple tops, btw, the side showing is the lower quality figure side.
Last edited by chaosdsm at May 26, 2010,
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast
510 IQ
Thanks guys.
Quote by chaosdsm
Looks interesting Can't wait till I can get me some more machinery so I can start my two builds... well, one a re-build of an old BC-Rich Bich, gonna put a curved maple bookmatched top on it with a translucent finish, and one ground up build, possibly a neck-thru baritone.

Sounds cool. Make threads for them. I love seeing people build.

Did you use regular wood glue for the neck laminate? I'd be curios to see how its holding up in 7 to 10 years if you did...

Yeah I used titebond 1. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine, as titebond 1 is pretty much preferred by all luthiers (except for maybe hide glue) as the best wood glue. I'm not too worried about it creeping or anything. As long as it was glued right and it gets finished properly, it should be fine.

RE: buying wood online... so far, I have bought 100% of my wood online, got some insanely cheap pieces from ebay on some really great wood. I recently tallied up my purchases & after shipping charges (which in several cases was less than the local taxes would be) it works out to be about 35% cheaper than buying locally, & except for 2 pieces, of equal quality to what's available locally. What I got for that, over 150 bd ft (combined) of: Maple, Rosewood, Mahogany, Canarywood, Teak, Paduk, Lacewood, among others. Got a pair of amazing 3A/4A quilted maple oversized billets (the small one is 2.125" x 11.75" x 44.25")for $140 combined including the shipping for just over 15bd ft. I've already had an offer locally of $400 for the larger billet which is about 8.6 bd ft.

Key is knowing your woods, knowing what you want to pay(including shipping charges), & being confident in the sellers ability to accurately list what is being sold including any noteable issues with the lumber being purchased. Add a bit of patience & you can find a gem of a deal out there that others have missed like I did with those two quilted billets on which I was the only bidder & got them for the opening bid of $49.99 each, though a third piece from the same tree went for nearly $200 a week later... Unfortunately, it was the mirror to the smaller billet I had already won, & I didn't have $200+ left to bid on it

Man you got a great deal on that stuff. I totally know what you're saying about being patient for the deals on ebay, but I personally don't like it because I can't see in person what I'm paying money for, and the prices fluctuate so much. I probably would have gotten limba online if I could have found a suitable piece, but unfortunately there wasn't any. If I were you I'd sell that piece of wood you got the offer for and then use that money to buy more wood!
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___