Page 4 of 6
Heard a story the other day from a drummer friend of mine. Apparently he played a show with Sylosis when they were booked last minute when the old headliner dropped out.

After the show they demanded a £300 fee despite it never being mentioned during the booking process. The band then proceeded to gang up on the promoter, threatening to beat him up, if they didn't get all the money. They ended up taking all the door money, meaning no of the other bands got paid and then followed the promoter to an ATM to get their money.

Stay classy Sylosis.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Heard a chunk of the new album.

Honestly, all it makes me want to do is listen to Lamb Of God and better Technical Thrash bands. It's just so plain and generic.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Heard a story the other day from a drummer friend of mine. Apparently he played a show with Sylosis when they were booked last minute when the old headliner dropped out.

After the show they demanded a £300 fee despite it never being mentioned during the booking process. The band then proceeded to gang up on the promoter, threatening to beat him up, if they didn't get all the money. They ended up taking all the door money, meaning no of the other bands got paid and then followed the promoter to an ATM to get their money.

Stay classy Sylosis.

Which band demanded a fee and which band initiated to gang up on however. You really didn't make it clear dude.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Heard a chunk of the new album.

Honestly, all it makes me want to do is listen to Lamb Of God and better Technical Thrash bands. It's just so plain and generic.

Each to their own dude, I really like it, despite the difference in technicality to their Edge Of The Earth album.
Quote by slipknot836
Which band demanded a fee and which band initiated to gang up on however. You really didn't make it clear dude.

He meant Sylosis, and if that's true... ain'tttt buying none der albums.

Of course, I don't know the exact circumstances. That might've been an exaggeration.
Last edited by Kytokinesis at Oct 7, 2012,
Quote by slipknot836

Thought it was pretty clear. Sylosis made all the demands and the threats; like I said none of the other bands got paid because of it.

I can't argue for or against the truth of the story and can't comment on any possible bias, but the guy who told me the story is pretty trust worthy, I wouldn't expect him to lie to me.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Oct 7, 2012,
Quote by slipknot836
Each to their own dude, I really like it, despite the difference in technicality to their Edge Of The Earth album.

There's liking it... and liking it in context.

Morph isn't saying it's a TERRIBLE album in of it's self...

...it's just not as good as other bands that do a similar thing; it's generic.

Which is how I've always kinda felt about Sylosis. I mean I already have Slaughter of the Soul.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Oct 7, 2012,
Quote by ChemicalFire
There's liking it... and liking it in context.

Morph isn't saying it's a TERRIBLE album in of it's self...

...it's just not as good as other bands that do a similar thing; it's generic.

Which is how I've always kinda felt about Sylosis. I mean I already have Slaughter of the Soul.

Where did you get 'TERRIBLE' from? I never once said or thought that. He said it's generic. Compared to that style, it doesn't stand out. He's right. But my point was that despite that, I like it.

And about the fee and ganging up thingy... Sylosis seem pretty chilled. Well, the drummer Rob and Josh, the current singer and lead guitarist seem really chilled. The other's seem like the kind to do what your story described. Tbh, that might have been another reason they got rid of the previous singer. He could have been initiating fights all the time. I can't really know though, I wasn't there xD
Quote by slipknot836
Where did you get 'TERRIBLE' from? I never once said or thought that. He said it's generic.

Well yeah that's pretty much what I was saying...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Well yeah that's pretty much what I was saying...

No... No it wasn't :')

Why are you even clarifying to start with if that's what you meant? xD I was talking to the other guy anyway. Judging by all of your comments on this thread, I get the impression you don't like Sylosis. I could be wrong... Could just be your comments coming across as quite patronising.
Quote by ChemicalFire

I'm a fan of At The Gates (the SotS era) and I must admit that last Sylosis album where I heard At The Gates influence was Conclusion of an Age with songs like Transcendence, Whitered and Oath of Silence. They moved away from that sound on Edge of the Earth. Yes, Sylosis are melodic, and I can see why people label them as a melodeath band, but I can't hear how they're At The Gates rip-offs.

Also, why are you coming to this thread if you don't like Sylosis? Just want to know out of curiosity.
Quote by slipknot836
No... No it wasn't :')

Why are you even clarifying to start with if that's what you meant? xD I was talking to the other guy anyway. Judging by all of your comments on this thread, I get the impression you don't like Sylosis. I could be wrong... Could just be your comments coming across as quite patronising.

Oh shit, slipknot836, I think we're ganging up on him
Quote by Scratcher17
Oh shit, slipknot836, I think we're ganging up on him

I don't mean to sound like or come off as a dick It just seems like he's looking for an argument for no reason. I don't like certain bands. I choose to keep away from discussion about them though and make no fuss over them.
Quote by slipknot836
I don't mean to sound like or come off as a dick It just seems like he's looking for an argument for no reason. I don't like certain bands. I choose to keep away from discussion about them though and make no fuss over them.

I know, I've had disscussions with him before in this thread. I don't know why he keeps coming back to the thread while he's clearly not into the band. It's like when metalheads go to videos of pop singers on youtube and dislike them just to protest against pop music. It just doesn't work that way. He should simply stop posting on this thread if he doesn't like Sylosis.

I didn't want to come across as rude with few of my last comments towards him, this last comment for example was caused by my pathological need to be funny

Also, do you think Sylosis sounds like At The Gates rip-off band? He keeps complaining about it, and can hear ATG influence in their early stuff (both EPs and CoAA), but that's it. They moved away from that sound in EotE and Monolith.
Almost any band that uses lots of pedal riffs is easily comparable to ATG... considering they were the first ones to use them in the style that has been raped for the last decade.

And I wasn't hating on the band, I wasn't calling the album terrible, I find it rather funny how you tell me what I meant, I'll admit it was perhaps clumsily worded, but it wasn't meant to be a hateful comment towards the band.

And I keep coming back if I have something to say about the band xD I like you guys considering you don't just straight up have a hissy fit when people say negative things about this band, like most other threads do.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Oct 8, 2012,
Quote by ChemicalFire
Almost any band that uses lots of pedal riffs is easily comparable to ATG... considering they were the first ones to use them in the style that has been raped for the last decade.

And I wasn't hating on the band, I wasn't calling the album terrible, I find it rather funny how you tell me what I meant, I'll admit it was perhaps clumsily worded, but it wasn't meant to be a hateful comment towards the band.

And I keep coming back if I have something to say about the band xD I like you guys considering you don't just straight up have a hissy fit when people say negative things about this band, like most other threads do.

About ATG, with that logic, any metal band using gallop rhythm and harmonized guitar parts is raping the legacy of Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

It seems to me like you've tried to get into Sylosis, but it just didn't work. That's why you still have to say something about the band on this thread. That's just the impression you made on me with your posts on this thread.

Cheers!
...and considering thrash bands have pretty much exclusively used pedal riffs since the beginning I find it hard to believe that pedal riffs were the creation of SotS
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by The Wildchild
...and considering thrash bands have pretty much exclusively used pedal riffs since the beginning I find it hard to believe that pedal riffs were the creation of SotS

Hell, the majority of Painkiller(Album) is pedal riffs in E Minor. You can find plenty of pedal riffs in Kataklysm, Dismember, Death, Suffocation, and a plethora of other bands stuff that's older than SotS.

And for the record: I tried to get into Sylosis, enjoyed Conclusion Of An Age and the EP, but they just didn't have anything that stuck. They're great at their instruments, but it's like Five Finger Death Punch to me; They can play well, but they can't write anything interesting.
Quote by ChemicalFire

About the hissy thingy. I respect everyone's decision to a band but the vast majority of the time, most people on forums put bad words against bands and against fans of that band to purposely get a rise. I understand now that you weren't doing that xD

To be honest, dude, it"s quite hard to convey what someone means or someone's tone over the internet :') I don't mean any hard feelings or anything. As I said I don't mean to come across as a dick, it just seemed like you were initiating arguments... It was probably a mixture of your wording and my reading comprehension xD

Glad to know you're a good guy here though.
Reading everything on this page has led me to a conclusion, which is this:

ChemicalFire worded the SotS comparison post in a way that would, hopefully, avoid an argument like this. The funny thing, however, is that him taking steps to avoid an argument is what caused an argument.

Am I correct? If I am, then this was quite amusing and delightful, hohoho~
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Reading everything on this page has led me to a conclusion, which is this:

ChemicalFire worded the SotS comparison post in a way that would, hopefully, avoid an argument like this. The funny thing, however, is that him taking steps to avoid an argument is what caused an argument.

Am I correct? If I am, then this was quite amusing and delightful, hohoho~

Well, you could also blame the discussion on me and my Sylosis worship .
Last edited by Scratcher17 at Oct 8, 2012,
Quote by Scratcher17
I just hope there will be people who will get some of the live footage from that show on Youtube. It's a shame that Kingdom of Solitude and A Serpent's Tongue (two songs that were rarely performed live) have no live footage on Youtube.
Would you care to write a post on this thread about the Monolith release show after you attend it (what was the setlist and other stuff like that)? Pretty please!

Also, have you attended the Edge of the Earth album release show last year?

Have a great time at the Monolith release show!

Well it was awesome though I may have had to many Jager shots to have written down the set list. The videos I shot on my phone are pants too as there is lots of nasty buzzing so I'm not going to post them.
Burny LG75-GR
Epi SG Pro 1966 Ltd Ed
PRS Angelus SE Custom

Korg Pandora effect unit (for practising)
Slash CryBaby
Blackstar HT-5
Korg RC2 Looooooper
Quote by BTKA
Well it was awesome though I may have had to many Jager shots to have written down the set list. The videos I shot on my phone are pants too as there is lots of nasty buzzing so I'm not going to post them.

If you don't want to post them, would you at least send them to me by e-mail or something? I'm big enough fan to watch them even with the buzzing .
Last edited by Scratcher17 at Oct 9, 2012,
I finally got ahold of my copy of Monolith two days ago. The album is everything I expected and more!!! They have really outdone themselves!
Quote by Scratcher17
I finally got ahold of my copy of Monolith two days ago. The album is everything I expected and more!!! They have really outdone themselves!

I love the album. I do have my least favourite of the album though. 'The River'. I enjoy the song, but not as much as the rest of album. After second chorus the song really picks up! The outro and solo to the song is awesome!
Quote by slipknot836
I love the album. I do have my least favourite of the album though. 'The River'. I enjoy the song, but not as much as the rest of album. After second chorus the song really picks up! The outro and solo to the song is awesome!

I guess it's because the verse and the chorus are just variations on the same riff. I still can't chose my favorite or my least favorite track of the album.
Quote by Scratcher17
I guess it's because the verse and the chorus are just variations on the same riff. I still can't chose my favorite or my least favorite track of the album.

I can! Out From Below, Fear The World, What Dwells Within, Behind The Sun, Monolith, Paradox, A Dying Vine, All Is Not Well, Born Anew and Enshrined Part 1 and 2

Out of them I think my favorite is either Out From Below, Paradox or A Dying Vine!
Quote by slipknot836
I can! Out From Below, Fear The World, What Dwells Within, Behind The Sun, Monolith, Paradox, A Dying Vine, All Is Not Well, Born Anew and Enshrined Part 1 and 2

Out of them I think my favorite is either Out From Below, Paradox or A Dying Vine!

I must say it was weird for me to hear a Sylosis song without a solo when I listened to the Monolith (the song) for the first time! I've got used to it though .
Quote by Scratcher17
I must say it was weird for me to hear a Sylosis song without a solo when I listened to the Monolith (the song) for the first time! I've got used to it though .

I didn't even notice that it had no solo xD I just tend to listen to the music and enjoy it!
Quote by slipknot836
I didn't even notice that it had no solo xD I just tend to listen to the music and enjoy it!

I always expect an incredible solo by Josh to compliment the song XD
He just happens to be one of my favorite guitarists XD
Quote by Scratcher17
I always expect an incredible solo by Josh to compliment the song XD
He just happens to be one of my favorite guitarists XD

He is a brilliant guitarist, but personally I don't really have a number one favourite guitarist. He's one of my favourites but to me they're all equal influences on my playing. I tend to notice that if someone has one person as a favourite guitarist (let's say Matt Heafy from Trivium) it taints their playing into playing exactly the same style as the influence and makes the end result of a song you could be writing bias, because it ends up sounding just like a Trivium song.

I learnt that the hard way

When I was younger I used to listen to Slipknot on repeat. My guitar playing didn't sound 'quite similar' but EXACTLY the same as them xD I then fancied a change and started listening to Trivium a lot. All my songs moved completely away from the Slipknot style and sounded exactly the same as Trivium. It wasn't until a few of my friends pointed it out that I realised I needed to either expand what I listened to in a certain time period and diversify my musical influences, or (what I've recently started doing) going on a music fast for about 2 weeks. It really helps me to think of my own riffs! I recommend doing it! I can finally feel like my riffs and songs are my own and not a rip off!
Quote by slipknot836
He is a brilliant guitarist, but personally I don't really have a number one favourite guitarist. He's one of my favourites but to me they're all equal influences on my playing. I tend to notice that if someone has one person as a favourite guitarist (let's say Matt Heafy from Trivium) it taints their playing into playing exactly the same style as the influence and makes the end result of a song you could be writing bias, because it ends up sounding just like a Trivium song.

I learnt that the hard way

When I was younger I used to listen to Slipknot on repeat. My guitar playing didn't sound 'quite similar' but EXACTLY the same as them xD I then fancied a change and started listening to Trivium a lot. All my songs moved completely away from the Slipknot style and sounded exactly the same as Trivium. It wasn't until a few of my friends pointed it out that I realised I needed to either expand what I listened to in a certain time period and diversify my musical influences, or (what I've recently started doing) going on a music fast for about 2 weeks. It really helps me to think of my own riffs! I recommend doing it! I can finally feel like my riffs and songs are my own and not a rip off!

I have too many favorite guitarists and have diverse music taste and influences. The biggest problem I have is that I go through short phases of being inspired by some band or genre and then everything I do is in that vein. The biggest problem with my vast influences is that I can't improve my playing and writing because I can't set definite goals in my playing. That often results either in carbon-copy generic melodeath inspired by In Flames or various songs that fit into a certain style (post-rock, progressive/technical metal stuff, acoustic stuff, hard rock, stoner)
Hey can somebody catch me up to speed on this band? Practically fell in love with their first album, Conclusion of an Age but kind of forgot about them after a while.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Hey can somebody catch me up to speed on this band? Practically fell in love with their first album, Conclusion of an Age but kind of forgot about them after a while.

Their vocalist from CoAA left in 2010 and was replaced by their lead guitarist (he does both vocals and lead guitar.) They have released two new albums up to this point in time: Edge of the Earth (2011.) and Monolith (2012.).

In my opinion, their progress is incredible. More mature songwriting
while retaining the basics of their sound.
Quote by NABEF9
"Monolith" is really well-named. What a massive sound it has.

A massive sound, indeed.

Btw, have you seen a Christmas message from the band on Youtube? Seems like they could get around to start working on a new album later this year .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCCtv9tWUMA This is the video I'm talking about.
Wow it's like Carcass all over again
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland