i know this kind of thread has been done before but i dont seem to find one...

so what i wanted to ask is do you teach guitar for a group of students/?
what's the good way of going with a group of them. i mean working with an individual is really different than with a group... so id love to have your help guys!

im planning to start and try giving lessons to a group of five or 6 students! guitar of course

thanks a lot V
I teach a guitar class of about 20 at a school and I found the best way is to say take a song with a few parts and divide them into groups. Then check around and see how all of them are doing and if they need help. That way they learn not just how to play but to play with others as a group.
At Berklee my labs are usually handled with prepared handouts. The music/practice examples are explained and we get some time to look over and than make some rough play throughs, than take it home to practice and prepare. Questions are answered and students get focused help where needed.

Group lessons are just far less sufficient than private.
Quote by corrda00
I teach a guitar class of about 20 at a school

Sorry to call you on this, but I think what people interpret from this statement and what is actually happening might be two different things.

I interpret this as "you are a teacher who teaches in a school", yet your profile says you're 17, which makes this impossible.

...to the actual question....

If you are calling the shots and you are teaching on your terms, don't teach in a group setting unless you have to. It's really not ideal. Private instruction is really the ideal.

Now, having taught highschool guitar classes for a few years (groups of about 25 students), there are some things that you can do.

Pick from a variety of genres for repertoire to try to appeal to every student, but draw from a pool of repertoire that is widely known. Teach a metal tune, sure, but don't pick Sepultura. None of the non-metal-heads will know it. Pick something like Enter Sandman. Even though it is metal (at least vaguely), it has a wide enough draw that even the non-metal heads will at least know it, even if they're not a fan of it. That sort of thing. Pick a country tune, but make it one like Ring of Fire or something. Again, a song that everybody knows. And Johnny Cash is kind of hip. Do current stuff that is on the charts now. That's important - especially for teenagers.

Focus on basic skills and techniques - chord changes, hand position, strumming patterns, etc. Once you have those things, you can apply them to basically any genre or style of playing.

Give them opportunities to play together as a class with you, but also give them time to play on their own or with a buddy or two. It allows them to reinforce their learning in their own way and in their own contexts, and kind of feels like a break from the regular class instruction.

Beginning players' fingers will get sore. Change channels to give their fingers a break. Include listening, some theory, etc.

Don't try to cater to too many individual things. You'll find yourself trying to spread your efforts too thin, and as a result, not really spending enough time with any of them. Even with six students in a half hour lesson, you could spend five minutes with each student on entirely individualized instruction, (and left to their own devices for the other 25 minutes), or if they are all basically kept together in the same place as much as possible, your interaction with them could be 15 minutes (as a group) plus a couple of minutes of one-to-one as they work through stuff, giving each student, effectively, 17 minutes of instruction and 13 minutes of working through stuff on their own. The latter represents a better use of your time, and theirs.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
It can be very hard to teach a group.

Why?

Because you are only as fast as your slowest learner, and if you are faster, someone gets left behind. In the mean time the one that gets it and is ready to move on is going to shuffle his feet because he has to wait for the slow one to catch on. You have a lot of students sinking and swimming. Its good for coverage, but bad if you want to reach everyone truly and help them.
I am a guitar teacher and am trying to get group lessons off the ground as well. I have taught some doubles lessons before with two similarly skilled kids that were both rampant metalheads. I was very successful with them(minus the constant noodling/screwing around I had to constantly get on to them about). However, I like the doubles concept very much because its fairly easy to find 2 kids who's interests/goals and skills are roughly equivalent.

With larger groups I'll agree it seems to be sink or swim. I have taught a beginners group of 3, and progress was predictably slower. That being said though, I felt like my students in group were having more fun. So, where is the line between educational responsibility and happy fun time? I know a lot of teachers that are extremely boring. I have been guilty of that myself. Getting a kid to enjoy guitar may be much more important than teaching them to do X in Y time. Group seems a good way to do that.

One more comment; I think for advanced students I may start offering specific group courses. Mega Shred Class, Super Jazz Hour, Applying Bach licks to Salsa... etc
ok i read the whole thing and i find myself it'd be the best for me to work with a small group of 5 to 7 players.. equally skilled (not too close but well... y'know). twice a week, per hour each time (roughly... there's the being late thing and whatnot)

so as the prices in Armenia are too low i realize i wont be able to make profit if i work privately... and there may be loads of private teachers so i'l lbe offering rather "learn to play guitar and be a guitarist: play with other musicians. not play to your self only" and teach em interact and whatnot... the profit may stil be low but well im doing my best... everything i can...

so yeah the lesson may consist of hearing everybody play (homework), question and answer thing (as if they have problems/questions with the homework)

a new song breakdown and learning process (may have two sub groups to learn together)
a couple of minutes for each student individually/sub group of students

theory

jam with me may be? again song workouts and exercises

answer questions again.

homework assigning and explaining.

i guess that's what may cover the thing

??

i wish i could do better stuff but the prices here are really high (for the rent and whatnot) and low for the lessons so im trying to find a golden middle where the quality may also bring me some profit... i wont be making living money this way but well if i can get some money for some living expenses/pedals...