Hello,
I am a self taught electric guitarist who has been playing for 2 months. I mainly worked on new chords and scales. I am able to find any pentatonic or diatonic scale in all twelve keys. major or minor, and any of the 5 positions on the fretboard. It usually takes me under 20 seconds to figure out the scale. I have been working on memorizing the different scale positions fo the minor and major pentatonic and diatonics. I feel accomplished in that because i can figure all of them out. Should i memorize them to the point that i can play any scale immediatly? Or is that not neccessary? My though was that it doesnt matter what matters is if u can figure them out pretty fast (20-30 seconds for me). What should i consider learning in scale? What modes should i learn? and what should i learn next other than scales?
Try to learn them so you can get them automatically, it will be easier later on, you won't have to sit and count up frets when someone asks "Play the A Minor Pentatonic scale"
If you know all the scale positions for the major scale then you don't need to learn the scale positions for the modes -- they're exactly the same, save what note is the root. You've probably noticed that it's the same way for the minor shapes. Every minor shape matches one of the major shapes. It has to do with the relationship between the two scales.

Okay so what you need to do next is learn about theory so that you can use these scale positions. In the beginning all of this will be done in front of your computer, so just keep trying to memorize those scale shapes in the mean time. Having all of them memorized is sooooo valuable. You can start learning theory right here on this site: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=crusade&w=columns . Start at part one and go through ALL of them. Then when you're done, check out the article in my signature about Tension and Resolution.

After that you'll have all the information you'll need to find the key of a song so you can solo over it. Beyond that you'll also know a lot information that will help you when you start writing.

As far as learning other scales.. meh. There are tons of other scales but most of them aren't popular at all or useful to someone without a lot of experience. There are two that are often suggested that are alterations of the minor scale, the harmonic minor scale and the melodic minor scale. These are alterations that have specific purposes (though no music police will arrest you for using them elsewhere) that you will learn about in the link I gave you.

If you have any more questions or need clarification on anything in that link post it here or PM me.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Bfrederi
Hello,
I am a self taught electric guitarist who has been playing for 2 months. I mainly worked on new chords and scales. I am able to find any pentatonic or diatonic scale in all twelve keys. major or minor, and any of the 5 positions on the fretboard. It usually takes me under 20 seconds to figure out the scale. I have been working on memorizing the different scale positions fo the minor and major pentatonic and diatonics. I feel accomplished in that because i can figure all of them out. Should i memorize them to the point that i can play any scale immediatly? Or is that not neccessary? My though was that it doesnt matter what matters is if u can figure them out pretty fast (20-30 seconds for me). What should i consider learning in scale? What modes should i learn? and what should i learn next other than scales?

Start playing some music.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I agree with the crusades, except on one point - when he talks about modes. he mostly gets it right, but I remember him saying something like you can play D dorian in a C major song, or follow the chords with modes or something equally wrong. so for the modes section (which you shouldn't get into until you fully understand harmonizing a scale, tonality

The most helpful things you could learn now (if you haven't) are intervals, harmonizing the major and minor scales, and chord construction. these are covered in the crusades, but I figured I'd mention those in particular.

also, +1 to the seagull. playing isn't just about learning theory and making music. even if that's your main goal you still need to learn other people's music. learning covers gives you a good repertoire which is nice to be able to play when someone wants to hear you play something, but more importantly, it gives you inspiration and ideas. once you know more theory you can better analyze the songs you like and pinpoint what it is that gives it that feel you like and what's important in that sound.

edit: and don't burn yourself out. if you've only been playing 2 months and you already know all the keys decently well it sounds like you're pushing really hard. while that's cool, try to have fun with it as well.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at May 16, 2010,
Quote by steven seagull
More truth could not be packed into merely four words than there is in those four.

It's that simple. All the theory in the world will get you nowhere if you don't apply it and just make some music.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by steven seagull
+1

Use what you've learnt - scales/theory won't do you any good unless you can use them to make music.